[Fiction] Cade - A Moment

z-Carver

I said if I could think of a story to do, I'd write it even though Cade's month is long gone. So here is Cade's - if anyone can suggest one for Hugin, I'd be ecstatic.

Note: This story is AU for several reasons. Cade acts wildly out of character in this fiction.

The green tank top ripped like paper, and Cade waited for the eufiber to repair itself. When it didn’t, he glanced at Sean, who grinned. “I’m not wearing my eufiber,” he said. His fist balled around the rest of his shirt and he tugged, ripping the rags off. “Well, I’m not wearing my eufiber everywhere, like I normally do.” The burly nova tossed the shirt aside and faced off with Cade again, dropping into a defensive stance.

“Is that so?” Cade said, smirking. “I’m hoping you mean your underwear is eufiber, because I’m sure that I don’t want to see that.”

“You’re sure? It’s the first thing you jumped to,” Sean pointed out. “It’s gotta be on your mind, then.”

“Call it a phobia,” Cade said and leapt to the attack. Sean took a step back and caught Cade, rolling onto his back and kicking him over his head. The Cajun fell into the roll and tumbled through the air, twisting back to his feet. Sean had already ignited his flight and spun into an upright position.

“Dude, this is 2016,” Sean laughed before he spun into a wild aerial kick, aiming for Cade’s head. The lean brunette dodged twice; then his hands shot out, catching one of his sparring partner’s feet and forcing the spin to stop. Sean replied with a kick that Cade blocked but allowed him to free his foot. “Homophobia is so 1996.”

“I have no problem with other people being gay, I just don’t want to be, or anyone to think I am,” Cade said, shrugging before joining Sean in the air, initiating a series of punches and strikes. When his whirlwind was done, Sean was still up, and still giving him a smirk.

“It’s just a body,” Sean said with his funny grin, but there was something deadly sober in his voice as he spoke. “It’s the mind that’s important, Cade. Though a great body helps, too.”

Cade’s eyes flicked down, over the body before him, and Sean found himself licking his lips. It was hard not to react when a man as attractive as Cade gave you the once-over. To distract himself and move past the moment, Sean dropped out of the air and slammed into Cade. With a deep grunt, the Cajun fell down with the redhead falling with him.

The two men switched to wrestling and grappling, each trying to get the lock on the other. Finally, Cade had Sean pinned, the Terat’s burly form tightly encased by his arms and legs. Sean was all too aware of the other man holding tight to him; despite himself, despite his wish to not make his friend uncomfortable. “Crap, you’ve got me,” Sean sighed, relaxing.

For a long moment, Cade’s body held Sean’s tightly. “Cade, are you gonn-” Sean’s voice was cut off by Cade’s deep sigh. A moment later, the long strands of Cade’s hair fell around Sean’s shoulders and his forehead came to rest against Sean’s back.

The brunette nova released Sean, but only enough to turn him over. Sean’s strange eyes blinked up at his friend as Cade hovered over him. The intent, uncertain look in his blue eyes held Sean’s tongue in check.

Whatever Cade’s objective was, it was thwarted by a strident beeping. The intercom blared out over the room, cutting through the tension. “Digigiest has requested back-up at Bank One Tower, corner of North Dearborn and West Madison. Hostage situation at the Chase Manhattan Bank. Repeating: Knight in need of back-up at Bank One-”

Cade’s weight was gone in a snap of wind, and Sean rolled to his feet. His underwear expanded to cover the rest of his body in the colors of the Knights, and he ripped the sweatpants off his lower body. Cade had already changed his exercise clothing to his Knight’s uniform, and together the two men shot through the warp he had created.

“There are some desperately stupid people out there,” Sean sighed as they stepped back through the warp onto the roof of the Knights’ building. Cade didn’t answer, and Sean explained, “I mean, how much intelligence do you need to figure out not to commit a crime in Chicago?”

The redhead paused to let Cade reply, but when Cade spoke, it wasn’t about the previous hostage attempt. “Sean, about before,” the Cajun said and his voice trailed off awkwardly.

“No, it’s ok,” Sean said, smiling and tilting his head a little. The wind took this as an invitation to run her invisible fingers through it, brushing it over his forehead.

“No, I have to tell you, it won’t happen again,” Cade said, his handsome jaw tight.

Sean laughed; not cruelly, just with a dark humor. “Cade, trust me, I didn’t mind. At all. Don’t worry about it.” He headed toward the roof access. “Come on, I’m starved. Let’s get some grub.”

“But it bothers me.”

Sean stopped and turned, his face sad as he faced his friend. Cade looked miserable for the first time in Sean’s memory, and the ex-Terat walked back to his friend’s side. “Want to talk about it?”

“About what? I’m not ok with it, and that’s all that needs to be discussed,” Cade snapped, but Sean knew he wasn’t angry at him. “I don’t want to be… like that.”

“It’s just a body, Cade, a shell,” Sean said softly. Cade shook his head, and Sean shrugged. “The mind is what matters. The rest… it’s just fluff.” He put a hand on Cade’s shoulder. “If you’re wired that way, I mean.”

“How did you handle it, when you figured it out?” Cade asked softly.

Sean smirked. “I had a long, hard fuck. But seriously… it’s just who you have sex with. It’s not as important as who you are.” He patted Cade’s back. “And you are a nice guy. I’d totally date you.”

Cade doesn’t look reassured by that, and Sean laughed and pulled him toward the door. “Come on, let’s go. I’m hungry. Say, you want a pizza? I want a pizza…”

Nothing had changed, but it wasn’t the same, either.

Archived