[Fiction] Helping Hands [Complete]

z-Sean McCline

Sean's computer chimed softly, and he lifted his red head eagerly at the sound. Pushing his paperwork aside, he opened up his IM. A delighted grin crossed his face as he read the message on his screen.

<Betty_of_the_Books> Hey.

Sean grabbed his keyboard and started typing.

<GreenIrishEyes> Hey, there. What's up, girl? I was wondering if you had dropped off the earth - it's been a few days. smile

A moment later, he got his response.

<Betty_of_the_Books> I've had a bit of trouble.

Sean's smile faded. He had been talking to Betty via IM for a few months now, and she was always chipper and upbeat. He'd come to like talking to her quite a bit, and at the mention of trouble, his stomach dropped into his boots.

<GreenIrishEyes> What's wrong? What's happened?

<Betty_of_the_Books> Nothing you can help with, Sean.

<GreenIrishEyes> Try me. wink

There was a long pause, and Sean was left wondering if she would trust him. It wasn't the Terat thing - he hadn't even told her he was a nova - but he was just an internet friend. They had met because Sean had gone to a forum about children's books, trying to find something that might interest Iharra. The librarians and bookoholics were estatic that a parent had taken such a personal interest in his child's learning. Betty was a bilingual librarian for an elementary school, and she had been very interested in Iharra's education. Gradually, their discussions had become more friendly, and about more than Iharra's educational well-being.

<Betty_of_the_Books> Sean... You might be in law enforcement, but this is a bit beyond you. I can't ask you to get mixed up in this.

<GreenIrishEyes> Who said I'd be involved? Can't I give advice from Chicago?

<Betty_of_the_Books> Oh, Sean. I really don't want to drag you into this.

<GreenIrishEyes> You sound like you could use a friend, Bet.

The pause that followed seemed to last an eternity.

<Betty_of_the_Books> Yes, I guess I could. It's... my twin sister has gambling issues; she owes tens of thousands of dollars to a bookie. And she did it in my name. So now they're coming for me, and I can't convince them it's not me - she gave them all my information. I... I don't know what to do.

Sean sat back in his chair. This could be bad. And if the CZ were involved, it would be worse.

<GreenIrishEyes> Give me an hour. I'll have something for you then.

<GreenIrishEyes> You there?

<Betty_of_the_Books> Yes. Do you...? blush

<GreenIrishEyes> Yeah, I've got some information. We have to prove to them that you're not your sister. They think they have the right person; we have to show them they don't. Or give them the money.

<Betty_of_the_Books> Sean... I don't have that kind of money!!!

Sean frowned at the near panic coming over the OpNet connection. Poor Betty. His fingers clicked over the keyboard again. "This will either embarrass her or anger her," Sean muttered. "But then, that's nothing new for me, either."

<GreenIrishEyes> I've got that kind of money, Bet.

There was a long pause, and Sean wondered if he had just alienated his friend.

<Betty_of_the_Books> I can't do that. You're a cop, not a millionaire.

<GreenIrishEyes> Can't I be both? laugh

<Betty_of_the_Books> Not last time I heard. crazy

Sean chuckled.

<GreenIrishEyes> Trust me on this. Do you want the money?

<Betty_of_the_Books> Sean, I can't. I won't owe someone that much money.

<GreenIrishEyes> Actually, your sister will owe me. But, if you still won't take the money, then can I come and help you through this?

<Betty_of_the_Books> I can't put anyone else in danger.

<GreenIrishEyes> Trust me, I can handle a lot. Look, just meet with me, and if you don't want my help, then I'll leave you be. Deal?

<Betty_of_the_Books> I want to say no. I really want to say no, but I'm so scared, Sean. I'm terrified. If I had the spare money, I'd move. Screw not having a job; I'd move.

<GreenIrishEyes> Then say yes.

There was an even longer pause. Sean waited quietly, hoping she'd let him help.

<Betty_of_the_Books> Yes. I'm sorry, but yes, please come. Just having someone here will help.

Jersey City had benefited from the Nova Age as much as any other city; the air was clean and fresh in a way that it hadn't been twenty years ago. It was still the poor man's New York in many ways.

Sean lounged in front of the William L. Dickinson High School, waiting for Betty. He had given her a description of himself, so she should have no problem finding him. He could have given her a picture, but he was strangely relunctant to let her know he was a nova. It was stupid, but there it was. He was casually dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, and with the sunglasses on his eyes, he looked like any other baseline. Thanks to his longer life, he also looked like a robust eighteen-year-old. Which would explain the looks he was getting from the students leaving.

"Hey," Sean said, nodding at a couple of girls who had paused to stare at him. With a giggle, the two Hispanic girls moved away, whispering in Spanish. Sean felt a slight blush color his cheeks as he recognized the word for "ass."

Behind his glasses, Sean closed his eyes, letting the chill air of Jersey play over his skin. He could feel the cold, but it didn't bother him much. The sun was actually warm against his skin, and it felt good to just slump against the rough wooden bench and soak-

"Excuse me?" a soft voice said. "Are you... Sean?"

Sean's eyes snapped open, and he automatically pulled down the shades for a better look at the figure before him. Incredibly brown eyes focused on him, and Sean's impressions spread outward from there. Round and plump were the first two words that came to mind; Betty was short, only a little taller than five feet, and a little overwieght. Her clothes were conservative, the perfect image of what a schoolteacher would wear. Betty was a school teacher, after all, so those were probably just what she wore to work. Brown hair was pulled back into a braid, and escaped strands of it curled around her face. "Bet?" Sean asked.

"You're a nova," she said, a hurt look on her face. "God, I'm an idiot. No wonder you're a cop with money. You with the Project?"

"Bet, no... I mean, yeah, I'm a nova," Sean sighed, realizing that this wasn't going well. "My full name is Sean McCline, and I work for the Windy City Knights. But the reason I didn't tell you... the real reason... is I used to be a Terat."

"You? A terrorist?" Betty asked, moving to sit on a bench. "But then why?"

"Why?" Sean asked, giving her a smile. "Why did I join the Knights? For the dental plan. Why did I offer to help you? Because I'd hate to log into my OpMessenger and never see you there again." He said the last softly, tentatively, unsure of how she'd react.

"Sean?" she asked softly. "Why... why would you miss me?"

"I guess I think of you as a friend," Sean said, shrugging awkwardly. He glanced at Betty again. "Is that ok?"

"Sean, you flew all the way from Chicago, and now you're worried about whether it's ok if you're my friend?" Bet laughed. "You should have brought that up before paying for a plane ticket."

"Ticket?" Sean said, quirking an eyebrow up. "That implies that I used a plane to fly here."

"You... you can fly?" Betty gaped at him, and for the first time, the pain and shock on her face was replaced by wonder.

"Yeah. You wanna a first-class flight to dinner? My treat."

• 2 weeks later...

They drove. Sean was a little disappointed; baselines loved flying more than anything else, and it would have been great to see Betty enjoy it. But she had insisted on driving to the little Chinese restaurant she had recommended, and Sean had agreed rather than argue about it.

There was some small, polite and nervous chit-chat; Betty was shier in person than she was online, and Sean found that he couldn't fall back on his usual banter with her. Slowly, carefully, they found a new pattern together, a different way of interacting. While it was a little different, Sean could see that they were building upon and even rebuilding their friendship. And it was still good.

"... so he was standing on the railing, and all the teachers were flabbergasted," Betty said, smiling a little as she told the story, "and then he started to bounce up and down. Everyone is panicking and trying to decide what to do, because they're afraid he'll jump or fall if they rush him. And just as it seems like no one is going to do anything, this little eighth grader rushes forward and pushes him over the edge."

"Whoa," Sean said, his unnatural eyes wide. "So the little dude killed him?"

"Nope," Betty said, shaking her head. "The student had tethered his ankle to the railing and let his long jeans cover it. The eighth grader did get in trouble; the first kid broke his ankle and got a massive concussion when his head connected with the side of the building. It was a nightmare."

"That's a hell of a day," Sean said, signaling to the waiter to bring his next entree. It was his third, and his last. With that and then desert, he should be ready to think about what to do about the bad guys. "So what's going to happen to the little guy?"

"He'll probably be suspended for a few days," Betty said. "Fights aren't uncommon though, and apparently, those two boys fight a lot. Something of a rivalry there."

"Over a girl?"

"That or drugs or someone insulted someone else's friend. Who knows," Betty sighed. "I just do the best I can to teach them, to try to get them to read more and learn what they can. Maybe teach a few of them to make better lives than they'll have otherwise."

"It's good work you do," Sean replied, his voice warm with admiration.

"You're a city defender; you do good work, too," Betty said as her blush colored her face.

"Yeah, I know," Sean said, shrugging as the Orange Chicken was placed before him. "But I save lives; you change them."

"You change lives," Betty insisted, her eyes dropping as her face reddened. Her next sentence was almost a whisper. "You've changed mine."

Sean blinked in surprise as the blood rushed his face. "Uh, yeah," he mumbled, feeling strangely touched. "Speaking of, let's work on that a bit." He pulled his PDA out of his pocket and set it on the table. "I need some information, like the name and contact information of the last guy you saw with a baseball bat."

"Oh, um, here," Betty said, digging into her purse for a scrap of paper. "His name is Furio, and here is his phone number."

Sean nodded and jotted it down. "Ok, now I need to know when and how he's contacted you." Betty launched into a long recitation of times, days and exchanges, and Sean shoveled food between inputting data.

"Ok, now what?" she asked when the last bite of his meal disappeared and he pocketed the PDA.

"Now, we have dessert," Sean said, waving at the waiter. "Then, we go someplace private and contact Furio."

• 4 weeks later...

Furio was an imposing man; by contrast, he made Sean look small. Sean wasn't intimidated; while Betty was a shivering mass next to Sean, the nova knew that a baseline held no danger for him.

Speaking of baseline vs. nova, Sean mused, I should make sure of that. The mob does employ novas. He sent a flare of power through his quantum and that power rippled out from his mind. Raging through the area, the quantum sonar rippled outward, warning Sean of other novas. Sean wasn't expecting the returned echo.

"What do you want?" Furio had been asking in a thickly accented voice, and Sean shook his head. "We can start," the red-headed nova answered as he tipped the edge of his sunglasses down, "by having your invisible friend show himself."

Furio started with surprise and shook his head, but even as the baseline denied it, the air behind him rippled and shivered away. Illusion was shed and cast aside, and a man stood behind Furio that made the baseline appear to be a child in comparison. "Good eye, Chaos," he rumbled in an accent that wasn't Italian. His hair and skin were Italian-flavored, but the ice blue eyes that seemed to glow in the semi-darkness of the warehouse weren't. Sean wondered briefly if that was an effect of quantum backlash or a rare natural combination.

"I don't go by that anymore," Sean said with a smile, aware that the smile had a sharp edge to it. "I'm afraid I have no idea who you are."

"Rephaite," the massive man said with a grin.

"Like the angel?" Sean said, even as he thought the name didn't sound quite right.

"No, like the race of giants from the Bible," Betty said. When all eyes turned to her, she shrank behind Sean nervously.

"A well-read woman," Rephaite grumbled, smiling a shark's smile. "A rare treasure. Too bad."

"See, that's what I'm here to negotiate," Sean said, smirking and straightening his shoulders in front of Betty, drawing the icy blue giant's eyes back to him. "I know that the lady has explained her situation, and I'm here to make sure you understand the reality here."

"I take it if we don't agree with you, you'll fight us for her," Furio said mildly. That was the most disturbing thing about Furio; everything he said was spoken in a casual tone, as if fighting and hurting people were normal for him. And, Sean had to admit, they probably were just normal job duties for him.

"Something like that," Sean said, and was surprised to hear how mild his tone was. Maybe I need to work on polishing up my soul a bit more, he sighed to himself. "Look, we don't have to fight over this. I'm going to make you a guarantee, which you can pass on to your superiors. Give us forty-eight hours to prove that Betty is innocent, or I'll personally pay up." Betty grabbed his arm even as he finished, "Think of it was a win-win wager: either you get the right person to pressure, the person who might have your money, or you get the money."

To her credit, Betty didn't say anything as Furio and Rephaite glanced at one another speculatively. Finally, Furio asked, "What if we refuse?"

"Then I tear the two of you up, and anyone else the head-honcho sends after Betty," Sean said, and this time, his voice was filled with heat. "She's under my protection now, understood? So either you give us two days, or your boss watches his men get arrested and hospitalized, and probably both. Are we clear?"

Furio nodded slowly, rubbing a thumb over pursed lips as he considered. "I think that the boss will see your logic," he said, "though how do we know you'll give us the money in two days?"

"I'm going to be taking your words you'll give us the full forty-eight," Sean pointed out. "If we can't extend that much trust, we're back to the 'everyone gets broken or arrested' option."

"Alright," Furio said, shrugging. "You have the two days. But," he leveled a threatening finger at Sean, "you'd better be on the up and up."

"So had you," Sean replied quietly.

Rephaite reached forward and picked Furio up; with a wink to Betty, the two men disappeared. The second they had blinked out of existance, Betty was stomping away from Sean, her head down and her shoulders tight. "Bet?" he called, but she didn't stop. Hiding a sigh, he chased her down. "Be-"

"We agreed that you wouldn't loan me money!" Betty nearly shouted, jabbing a finger into his chest. Whimpering at the toughness of his skin, her anger was unabated as she continued, "Or were you too busy pissing a circle around me to remember that?"

"Betty, wait, no," Sean said, gently reaching out and taking her arms. "I didn't mean it like a possession. And besides, I'm not going to pay out any money."

"But... Sean... you gave your word," Betty pointed out, frowning. "If you go back on it, they'll be angry."

"I won't have to go back," Sean said with his heart-throb grin. "We have two days to prove you're not the person who owes them money. More than we need. Speaking of, I need to meet your sister. Now."

• 2 weeks later...

The sleepy-eyed blonde who answered the door was, at first glance, lovely, even if she was in sleeping clothes and disoriented. But a second look showed fine lines that hinted at improper concern for her health, and the blonde hair ended in roots as dark as Betty's hair. Sean blinked, finding it hard to believe that this woman - all angles and lines - was related to Betty.

Meanwhile, he had clearly made a much better impression. The surly, aggravated expression on her face faded, replaced by an eager, lusty look. Two years ago, it might have been an interesting invitation; now, it was a little gross. "Hi!" she bubbled. "Wanna come in?"

Sean didn't answer, he just stepped to one side. Betty was revealed, and her sister's smile faded.

The woman was fast, snake-fast. She tried to slam the door in their faces, but Sean was faster. "I think we will come in," he said, effortlessly holding the door open. "Bet?"

Betty stepped in the door, her face stern but sad, too. That expression was tearing him up; he'd do a lot of things to see that expression leave her face. "Ally," she said softly as a greeting.

Ally lunged for her phone. "I'm calling the cops," she said, but Sean just smiled and released a little bit of energy. The OpNet monitor sizzled and went black; and the phone was suddenly inoperable.

"It's ok," Sean assured her, "we're not going to hurt you." The terrified look on her face didn't fade, and Sean sighed to himself. He had one option for relaxing her, and he took it, feeling guilty about the manipulation. Another pulse of power rolled through him, and his features changed subtly, becoming more handsome. Ally's eyes widened as Sean went from beautiful to god-like. And she wasn't the only one: Betty gaped openly at him before she blushed and glanced away. What was that about? he wondered, but he shoved that away for now. "Ally, we need to talk to you about your debts."

Ally bit a full lip, looking fearful and guilty. "I... I don't have the money to pay them," she said, her words coming out in a rush. "I just can't pay them what I owe them!"

"Neither can Betty," Sean said simply, glancing at Betty. Her face remained dark and her eyes darted away from him again. Wha...?

"But she's got more than me," Ally whined, glancing at her sister. "I figured she could work out a payment plan or something. When I win big, I'm gonna pay her back."

Sean sighed. "If you tell the mobsters the truth, and get them off Betty's back, I'll loan you the money," he said.

Ally's eyes lit up, even as Betty snapped, "No! Sean, she's not going to win big. She'll never pay you back."

"I can pay him in bits," Ally said with a possessive smile, "can't I, baby?" Her chest brushed his as she stepped forward, and her hands played over the front of his pants.

Betty made a choking noise, but didn't get a chance to react. Sean pushed Ally away, managing to keep his strength in check. "That wasn't an attempt to buy my way into your bed," Sean said coldly, glaring at the woman. "I'm doing this for Betty, not my dick."

Ally's face twisted angrily. "You shoudn't have done that," she snapped, managing to look more attractive while angry. "You need something from me, remember? And now, you're going to have to pay for it."

"Excuse me?" Sean asked, raising an eyebrow at the audicious woman.

"You're going to give me what I want," Ally said, reaching for Sean. The nova gave it a moment of consideration - she wasn't that unattractive, and it was for a friend's good.

Betty stepped between them, halting her sister. "Sean, let's go," she said angrily. "I'd rather spend the rest of my life paying off the debt than have you sell yourself."

"Bet-"

"No," she said, and her voice was firm. Ignoring her sister, she looked up at him and insisted, "There is no other option than no. I won't allow it. We'll figure something else out." There was a firm heat in her eyes, a sense that she wouldn't back down, not for anything.

"Fine," Sean said. It might take a few hours, but he'd convince her to let him either pay for her or come back and convince Ally to do so.

It was a long walk back down to the car. Betty didn't say anything, and didn't respond to Sean's one question. When they were back in the car, she burst into action, whipping out her phone and rapidly dialing.

"What are you doing?" Sean asked.

"I just needed for you to get her talking," Betty mused as she punched a few more buttons. She held her phone out upside down, letting him see the screen. It was a shaky, off-center image, but the audio was clear: Ally admitting that she owed the money. "It is a kind of betrayal," Betty admitted, "but she has earned it." She smiled at Sean's surprised expression. "Is this good enough to prove I'm innocent?"

Sean felt a grin cross his face. "Betty, you are amazing," he laughed. "Let's go call Furio."

In less time than it had taken for them to set up a suitable meeting, the heat was off Betty. Sure, it was all now on poor Ally, but she had brought it upon herself, and Sean was sure she'd eventually find a way to work it off.

"I can't believe it's only ten," Betty said, glancing at her watch. "It seems like a few days have passed, not a few hours."

"A lot happened," Sean said, scratching the back of his head. With a nova's speed, his mind turned toward 'what now,' and the handsome nova frowned. It seemed that he had nothing left to do here. "I think it's time to celebrate," he added, giving her a grin.

"Ten's my bedtime," Betty said, looking sheepish. "I have class in the morning."

"Oh," Sean said, feeling deflated. His arms flopped back to his sides and he sighed. "This feels anticlimatic."

Betty chuckled. "I guess so," she said, smiling up at him. "Are you going back tonight? Do I need to help you get a hotel room?"

"Nah, I'll fly back," Sean sighed. "No point in sticking around here for no reason." He looked at her with a sudden intensity. "Unless, there's a reason for me to stay?"

"I don't know," Betty said softly, her eyes averted.

"Is there?" he pressed.

Those dark brown eyes locked on his. "Sean, what are you looking for, here?" she asked, searching him for a clue to his mood.

Sean met her gaze directly. "I don't know."

"Then will you be online tomorrow?" she asked, smiling at him.

"Yeah, I will," he answered, reassured by the return to their usual routine. "You?"

"Yes, I definately will," she said. A flicker passed through her eyes, something daring, and then she stepped forward on her tip toes and kissed his cheek. "I can't begin to thank you enough," she murmured, blushing hotly.

"It was my pleasure," he said. Bending, he kissed her cheek in return. Feeling strangely awkward, yet completely content, he slipped his arms around her round frame, giving her a hug. "I'll see you online tomorrow."

Stepping back, he waved at her, then slipped the bounds of gravity and slid away from her. Betty remained there long after she couldn't see him, and maybe, long after he couldn't see her either. Perhaps she knew. Perhaps she didn't.

Sean was pretty sure that it mattered only to him. Tomorrow, she'd be online again. And maybe, he could come back to Jersey City and see Betty again. That would be...

Nice.

Archived