[Fiction] Working Girl

z-Silvestru

The stink of grease and cheap food clung to Sylvan's nose long after she had left the McDonalds. She was simply relieved that her wings had not come out during her four hour orientation shift. Maybe she was finally gaining some control over the damned things. Maybe.

The bus rocked sideways again, and Sylvan sighed. Forget worrying about the rain; she was flying from now on regardless of the weather. "I need to find out if I can fly in the rain, anyway," Chloe muttered. She glanced at the only person who could have heard her; the blue-haired Asian kid smiled, flashing gold teeth at her. His baggy clothes couldn't hide his sexual interest. Yeah, no more bus.

Finally, she's off the bus and walking toward her door, and she found that she had a smile of anticipation on her face. Kevin should be there, ready to teach her more martial arts. And as she rounded the corner of her block, she saw him sitting on the steps, a grocery bag between his feet. He'd insisted on cooking ever since she'd made home-made pork loin for him. He wouldn't complain, but she believed that it wasn't healthy enough for him. This was his quiet way of getting healthy food.

Yeah, working fast food sucked, but money was money. And despite the ignominy of it, she found that she was happy to be doing any work.

Kevin casually tapped the rain as it fell around him. His finger darting out to strike a single drop bursting it like a bubble before striking the next. He didn't seem to mind the rain, given the pleasant smile he actually seemed to enjoy it.

He saw Chloe coming off the bus and stood, picking up the bag he brought and holding it with one hand as he waved with his other.

"Ahhh hello working girl." He very likely could smell the oil and grease scent rolling off her but made no expression of revulsion. As Chloe neared he wrapped his free arm around her and hugged her tightly. "So how did it go?" He asked as released her to wait for her to lead the way up the steps.

"It's going to suck," Chloe laughed, returning his hug. Digging out her keys, she walked up the steps and unlocked the door, swinging it wide open. "Long hours, low pay, and I'm worried about my wings shedding into the fry vat. But other than that, it's all good."

As he went into the kitchen, Chloe headed to the bedroom. Snatching up her clothes, she paused to say, "I need a shower. I'll be right back. Make yourself at home."

She rushed through a shower, eager to get back to her guest. Still, the hot water feels too good to not enjoy for a moment, and a soft, happy moan squeaks out as she leans back under the water.

Chloe managed to keep it under fifteen minutes, and soon she's back out in the kitchen, looking over Kevin's shoulder and asking, "So what are you cooking tonight?"

By the time she had rinsed herself of the scent of minimum wage and dried herself off a pleasant new aroma had filled the air. A sweet scent with hints of ginger and other exotic spices.

"I am going to leave this here." Kevin pointed to a large brass Wok that had mysteriously appeared in her home, she didn't see him bring it with him. "If this is okay with you. I figure I will be cooking for you a lot. I don't want you tempted to bring home McDonald's because you are to tired to cook for yourself." He gives a stern and playful glare as he turns a flat spoon in the wok turning over the sizzling contents.

"Well last night I got some tofu and it has been marinading in a ginger sesame sauce. I am frying that up in a little Olive Oil."He gestures to a nearby pot happily steaming away. "And here is some long grain wild rice which the Ginger Sesame Tofu will be served on. And lastly..." He procedes to a cutting board that has large portions of sliced portabello mushrooms, green peppers, squash and broccoli on it. "These I will drop into the Wok once the Tofu is finished. Veggies need the least amount of time cooked so I like to do them last."

All in all in the few short minutes he has had there is a beautiful dinner underway. As Chloe watches, Kevin seems to glide from one aspect of the meal to the next almost like a dance or kata in the smooth yet natural movement. Turning something mundane as a cooking into art.

"Give me, hmmm. ten more minutes?"

"Given," Chloe chuckled, pulling one of the chairs away from the table and sitting cross-legged on it. She quietly watched him work, her body slowly relaxing. "My boss says that I'm picking things up really quick. My only real problem is that all the teenage boys are paying more attention to me than to their work. And..." She hesitated, not sure if she was right and therefore not sure if she should say something. Finally, she added, "I think that they hired me to get more people into the store. Lots of people came back, and brought other people with them."

She watched Kevin silently for a few moments; then, she asked, "So are you a vegetarian? I notice that you didn't seem to care for the meat that I cooked for you."

"Well you are much better than drawing attention than any new sales gimmick I could think of. Careful though if the manager has you out front cleaning tables all the time. Of course that would get you out of the back so maybe it wouldn't be so bad."

Kevin laughs as he grabs the wok and gives it a jerk sending the rectangles of tofu tumbling into the air before sliding back down into the wok on their other sides.

"I am no vegitarian and your food was fine. But I notice a lot of things these days about food. I guess I am picky because of my enhanced taste. I can tell the difference between an animal that is free range and one who is a factory animal it makes a difference to me. Tofu is just something I like because it is so generic it will literally become whatever you want it to."

Finally he slides the fried tofu onto a plate arranging them perfectly before he adds more oil to the wok and lets it heat as he gathers the veggies. "Did you keep your wings from escaping while at work?"

"Yes," Chloe answered, her voice smug with pleasure. "I hope I'm gaining control over them. It would be really wonderful to not have to worry about them popping out at the worst times. Which reminds me: unless I can't fly in the rain, then I'm never taking the bus again."

"Bad?" Kevin asked, making some precise chops to his vegetables.

"On the ride in, some lonely, socially defunct woman sat next to me to tell her all about herself, her health aliments and her no-good children," Chloe sighed, rubbing her neck. "And on the way back, every third guy was staring at me and all but licking their lips at me. It was not enjoyable.

"I'll just take some clothes and change at the store," Chloe said. "I do not want to ride the bus any longer."

• 3 weeks later...

"You shouldn't need to." Kevin comments as the Wok sizzles to life again as vegetables tumble into the metal basin and begins to heat.

"I don't think I have been in a car since I erupted. Why would I? I revel in every hop, skip and jump. I know you love flying so don't let anything stop you from stretching those pretty wings." Snagging a flat wooden spoon from the counter Kevin turns the vegetables in the bottom of the wok quickly giving a stir.

"And you cannot help the way you look you inspire for better or worse. I guess it is something we all have to deal with as we change. But I refuse to think of these things as a curse."

With a glance he looks across the kitchen to the small table he has prepared for them. "You do know how to use chopsticks right?"

"Ah-ha... no," Chloe gave a little laugh. "There isn't much call for them where I came from." She gave him a cute little grin. "So you're going to teach me now, right?"

It really wasn't as hard as she had expected; within fifteen minutes, she was picking up pieces of food with some accuracy. While far from perfect, she wasn't completely embarrassing either. "Ok," she said after swallowing a sliver of carrot, "I think I have the hang of this. It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be."

Kevin smiled as he casually flipped a spear of brocolli into the air with his chopsticks. As he fell, he snagged it out of the air and said, "Yes, you are doing fine."

"Yay, me!" Chloe grinned as she held up a square of tofu. "I do have tomorrow off; I need to read some of the books Satyr helped me get, but say in the afternoon, would you like to do some more martial arts?"

Kevin nods as he watches Chloe adapt to her new utensils. "We can do that. These things should be practiced daily. It helps keep one centered as well as continues your learning. I think we might spice it up a bit tomorrow. I have been going with stretching and more Yoga and Tai Chi but maybe we will try something with a little more action in it tomorrow really get your blood pumping."

The Ameriasian Nova regards Chloe carefully a moment as he chews thoughtfully. "So Satyr, What did he give you to read? How are you two getting a long anyway? He looked very concerned at the hearing."

• 2 weeks later...

The casual atmosphere was gone in a second. Chloe froze for just a moment, her chopstick hovering in midair as a flush touched Chloe's cheeks. "Satyr," she said, setting down her chopsticks, "was- is very concerned about me." She smiled at Kevin, choosing to tackle the easier subject first.

"I had this dream," she said as her fingers played over the edge of her plate, "or I guess a vision, as I was dying. In it, God said that He wasn't just a He, but a conglomeration of all people, all races and all genders. As you can imagine, it kinda blew my mind, so I went to the library to check it out. And... Satyr was there."

Chloe brushed away the memories of that strange day and simply said, "I don't know if you know this, but he's a Pagan, so he was very familiar with the concept of a female God. He found some books for me to read, but more important, he can talk to me and give me actual guidance."

She grinned at Kevin. "I guess you could say that while you're taking care of my martial education, he's taking care of my spiritual. You're both my teachers, and both my friends."

Kevin nodded and gesticulated slightly in the air with his eating sticks. "Then that is good." It isn't hard to sense the changes that come over her it wouldn't have been hard without being a Nova. However all the gifts however small he was given made him much more astute to these these things than ever before.

Instead of dwelling on it he shifts the subject. "How do you like the food? I know it is probably not the type of food you are used to for sure but, you seem to want to broaden your horizons."

The young man across the table wore a mask of happiness and serenity but inside he was anything but that. He twisted and lurched down an emotional corridor that turned the peaceful lake of his soul into a turbulent frothing sea. This was exactly why he had sworn himself to celebacy. He should have never told her how he felt. Friends were better and where it should have been left.

Lifting the small bowl of sauce Kevin slid is closer to Chloe. "This is a dipping sauce it is a little spicey but you can dip the Tofu in it if you want to give it a try."

The sheer misery that flickered over Kevin's face was gone instantly, but Chloe saw it. And she saw how he tried to cover it, to no avail, not to her sensitive eyes, anyway.

"Kevin," she said softly, pushing away her plate and moving around the table to sit next to him, "what happened with Satyr and I was just... getting each other out of our system. He's... hard to resist, and it's done now. It doesn't change you and me... unless it changes us for you."

She took his hand and said, "You're still my white knight, Kevin. You're still the one I think of when I hear a funny joke. I think, 'I have to remember that for Kevin.' Which reminds me... A blonde who suspects her boyfriend of cheating on her goes out and buys a gun. She goes to his apartment unexpectedly, opens the door, and, sure enough, finds him naked in the arms of a redhead. Well, now she’s angry. She opens her purse and takes out the gun. But as she does so, she is overcome with grief and points the gun at her own head. The boyfriend yells, 'No, honey, don’t do it.' 'Shut up,' she says. 'You’re next!'" Chloe waited for Kevin to laugh, and hoped to see that sweet, gentle smile.

The grin creeps slowly across Kevin's face as he brushes back the long black bangs that tend to hide his eyes. "Heh." Another small genuine chuckle follows as he looks toward the girl he had saved so many months ago. "The stuff you can pick up on working at McDonalds."

He pauses a moment and the grin fades slightly his hand takes hers and holds it as he looks at her. "You know I didn't save you to fall for you. I saved you because it was the right thing to do. I just happened to fall for you along the way I guess. I want you to be happy and if that is with Satyr, Revenant or me then I want nothing more. But I won't lie I had hoped there was something more between us and I know I shocked you when I told you so the other day. But hiding it was disrupting my own harmony and I couldn't do that to myself."

"Kevin, it's ok," Chloe said. "I don't mind that you told me. I had been thinking some, uh... things like that about you, too." Her cheeks pick up a bit of a glow as she holds his hand a little tighter. "So, see, telling me was a good thing."

On impulse, she leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. "If telling you was good for you, and good for me, then it was fine, Kevin." She remained leaning close to him, smiling sweetly as she said, "So don't worry ok?"

Watching her closely he couldn't help but to appreciate the contrast of her cheeks and her aura it was almost like a Christmas tree. Carefully his hand brushes her chin and lightly leads her toward him as he leans closer to kiss her softly on the lips. It is sweet and full of warmth that seems to flow from the contact.

He breaks away with a happy look in his eyes staring into her large beautiful eyes. "I doubt it is like the little mythical fellow started things with you but.. We each have our own way I suppose." He grins a boyish grin and stokes Chloe's cheek once more. "I just swore this sort of thing off years ago when I knew I was to become a Nova.. I guess I accomplished that so this.. This is good." He glances at the table and nods toward the dinner he had prepared. "Would you like to finish?"

"Yes, I'd like to finish," Chloe said, pulling her bowl around to her seat. "And to answer your question, yes, I like the food, and no, I've never had anything like it. But I do know that I like your cooking more than mine." She laughs self-consciously, adding, "I can do ok, but your stuff is so much better than mine. Which is probably why I got a job at McDonalds."

She takes another bite and said, "By the way, what do you do for work? You know what I do - slave labor."

Letting that moment pass Kevin snags his chopsticks and snaps up broccoli floret he had cooked to perfection and pops it into his mouth.

His attention is focused soley on the girl besides him as she comments on the food and asks about what he does.. "Well probably what you expect. I Co-own and operate a dojo in portland. It is multistyle school but I focus on teach Jeet Kun Do since it tends to attract people because of it's history." The interest in his life causes his to happily ramble on. "I teach whatever someone really wants to learn but since erupting my classes are always packed with those who want to learn from a Nova martial artist."

"I bet," Chloe said, "and I understand, given that I can see the benefits of having a nova trainer." She gave him a wink and picked up another chopstick-full of food. "Someday I'd like to see it, Kevin. Maybe even have a class th-"

The doorbell intruded on their dinner; with a frown, Chloe stood up. "Kevin, this might be a spot check by my probational officer," she sighed. "If it is, just answer their questions. We have nothing to hide." She gave him a reassuring smile and went to the door.

To her susprise, it was two strange men. "Can I help you?" Chloe asked, sliding the door closed a few inches.

"Ms. Banks? May we come in?" the first man asked, some strange east coast accent.

"Um, no," Chloe said firmly. "Sorry, but I don't know you."

"That's alright, Ms. Banks," the second man said, "we just want to offer you a job. My name is Tony Lagioia, and this is Vinny Teti." There was no accent with this man, and his blonde hair and blue eyes were pleasant. Chloe had seen him before, somewhere - she was sure of it.

"What kind of a job?" Chloe asked, suspicion clear in her voice. "Sorry, but I've been kidnapped before, and I'm up on murder charges now. But that doesn't mean that I want more... shady positions."

Kevin had come up behind her, and the two men tensed. "Nothing shady," the first man said, extending a business card. It was for a restaurant named Anthony's Pizza.

"I went to the McDonalds that you work at for lunch today," the Tony said, "and you gave me prompt, professional service. In fact, you were too good for Mickey D's. So I asked around a bit."

"We are representing the owner of Anthony's Pizza," Vinny said with his thick accent, "and based on Tony's recommendation, I'm authorized to offer you an employment package." He reached into his jacket and pulled out an envelope.

Chloe took the envelope and opened it; it was a letter offering her employment, just as Vinny had said. "I don't get it," she said, folding the letter back into the envelope. "Why all this effort for me?"

The two men exchanged a quick glance before Tony said, "Bluntly put, you're a nova who's down on her luck. We think that you'll generate customers just by your presence, like you do already. And we'd like to benefit from that, and you'll benefit from the increase in pay and guaranteed medical."

"Well, let me think about it," Chloe said, not wanting to appear too eager. "Should I just call the number on the card to get in touch with you?"

"No, use this one," Tony said, giving her another business card. It was the same, but a new number was on the back. "That's my number, and it will put you directly in touch with me. Call when you have an answer."

Kevin remained silent but his eyes took in the scene. He saw the bulges beneath each man's shoulder he watched their mannerisms carefully. It was her home, it was her offer. Still he felt like she was tied to a chair all over again. Yet silent he remained until the door was shut.

Once he saw the door lock again he moved back to his seat at the table. "What do you think?" He asked curiously he could start implying things but he wanted to know what she thought and felt about it. She was observant he doubted she would miss anything he saw.

"Well," Sylvan said, pulling the letter out and looking it over. "It is a generous offer. I'm a little concerned, though... I mean, this is a really generous offer, and there was something about those two that seemed, I don't know - off."

She unconsciously began to chew on her thumbnail as she read through the letter again. "I mean, something about this just seems off," she muttered. Frowning, she glanced at Kevin and said, "Do you think they're going to expect me to wear skanky clothing or something like that?"

"I am not sure what those guys wanted but...." Kevin says after a long moment he seemed hesitant to continue but did so. "One was carrying a pistol beneath his jacket. That immediatly makes me worried after what keeps happening to you."

Kevin picks up his chopsticks and carefully digs into his food. "Chloe for some reason fate the stars whatever had placed you in harms way over and over in more ways than you might even realize. I want to protect you it's just hard for me to do that because I want you to make your own choices."

Bangs get brushed aside as he looks down at the meal. "And I need you to do that on your own. I believe in you."

There was long silence for a moment; then Chloe snapped, "Crap!" and threw her chopsticks across the room. But even as she expressed her anger, it was gone, and she got out of her chair and retrieved the implements. "Sorry," she muttered, walking to the sink. Her head was down and her hair was falling around her face.

As she cleaned the sticks, she said, "I thought I was finally getting a break. A real break; a chance to get ahead." And in her voice, Kevin can hear the ragged edge of frustration and despair.

"Wait. Do you know who sent those two?" Kevin asked questioningly at the beautiful girl. He rose and was beside her in a motion that she didn't even see happen. A hand falls on her shoulders and seeks to unlock the frustration mounting within her.

"Most Novas face this many are exploited or harmed. Even by people they love or love them. Some see it as a lottery or a curse. But so much has happened to you. With your family being what they are. With Revenant, Satyr even me. Then losing Josh I know all of this is creeping up on you. I want to help but I don't want to add to your troubles Chloe."

"No, no... I just was thinking, 'Wow, I can get a decent job. Maybe work somewhere I can be proud of,' instead of my crap job at McDonalds," she said. She grabbed her towel off the sink and pressed it to her face. Kevin can feel a fine tremble run through her shoulders.

After a moment, she spoke again with a ragged voice. "No, you're not doing anything bad, Kevin," she said, lifting her face out of the towel. Even red, puffy eyes looked good on her as she added, "I'll let you know if you do. Right now, you're one of the few good things going for me."

Kevin turned the girl to face him and embraced her in a caring hug. "You might at least see if these guys are on the level. If you want to go and talk with them I can come with you. These fellows seem to come out of the blue though so I have to be at least cautious on it."

The man's mind works furiously for a instant then he whispers. "You don't have to just stay there. You could find reward in a local greenhouse or even a floral shop. I am sure those places would make you feel more comfortable than where you are now."

Slowly he released his friend but continues to try and comfort her. "You are a good and kind soul Chloe. People who meet you see that in you. I am sure that is what Satyr sees in you as well. It doesn't take much to see the best in you all people have to do is open their eyes."

Chloe laughed, but it wasn't a happy noise. "I tried greenhouses and floral shops; none of them would take a risk on an accused murderess. You don't know how many times I heard, 'Sorry, but we just don't have a position for you,' and all the while, they had these stupid 'we would if we could' expressions." She laughed again. "Funny how upset people get over you killing a baseline."

Hearing near-hysteria in her own voice, Chloe forced herself to calm down. "Sorry," she sighed, rubbing her forehead. "I'm not myself at the moment. I'm just really disappointed. I'd hoped... just for a second... but that doesn't matter."

Her shoulders straightened and she gave him a weak smile. "I'll call them today and go see what's the deal. I mean, I should at least look, right?" she told him. "I don't think I'll need an escort - I can't imagine them trying anything against me."

Kevin nodded quietly, the pain she contained was palpable to him. He soothed her as best he could but it was going into territory that he was unsure about.

"You want to talk about what happened? It's just you and me you know I am not going to judge you on what happened that night." His hand found her cheeck and the thumb caught a large wet tear that was slowly rolling down her face. "I know what happened hurt you more than just the threat of jailtime. The choice you had to make was one you didn't deserve to be forced to do."

"No, I don't want to talk about it," Chloe sighed, resting her face in Kevin's hand. "I think about it all the time." She lifted up her left leg and pulled up her jeans; one golden ankle was revealed, along with a white plastic band. Symmetry's sharp eyes can make out the circuitry on the silver plate that was opposite the hinge. "I live with what happened. I keep thinking, that if I get put in prison, at least I won't have to wear this anymore. At least I won't feel it every time I sit cross-legged or when I walk. Maybe, even in prison, I'll be able to forget for a while."

With a sigh, she dropped her leg and shook her pants cuff down. "So I'm just trying to forget for a little while, Kevin," she said, her eyes meeting his, abrim with deep sadness. "That's what I really need. To forget for a little while."

Kevin could understand empathically he nodded as if in thought then turned to her. "Would you like to try something different?" He considers for a moment. "Remember when I took you to the top of the monunment during the Pow Wow? I have an idea on something like that I would like to try and don't worry you won't even have to leave the house to do this I promise."

His grin was infectious and was the warmth against the ice that could so easily grow when dwelling on such dreary matters as they had just been. He moves into her small living room and pushes some furniture aside like they do whenever he helps her with her martial instruction. "Come on! This will be very interesting I think!"

Archived