[Fiction] Letters Home

z-Rheinlander

October 9, 2008

Dear Andi,

You would not believe this place. I think that San Diego was really the Garden of Eden. The weather is warm but never too hot, and there are beaches and mountains within driving distance. This place is completely different than home, obviously. And yes, that includes the number of sub-humans living here. I’ve never seen so many people of color – and I know you’re not going to believe this – but they’re not all that bad. I’ve gotten to meet a lot of them on the basketball team.

I’m enjoying being a fightin’ Aztec, and enjoying the full scholarship more. I’m glad I passed up the Idaho State scholarship to come to San Diego State. I mean, I wanted a good business program, and SDSU’s is the best international program in the country.

Yeah, I guess I still feel a little guilty that I came here. I know that it really upset the family. Dad says that Mom still cries whenever it comes up in conversations. I feel bad about it, but every day I’m more sure that I made the right choice. I know that they think that I followed Theresa here, and I did, but I’m happy with my choice. The school’s great, Theresa’s great, my friends here are great – seriously, I’m happy.

Speaking of Theresa… I’m going to do it, Andi. I’m going to ask her to marry me. She’s it – she’s the one I want to spend my life with. She’s not perfect, but she’s perfect for me. So by the time you get down here for a visit, she’ll be my fiancée. Well, if she accepts she will be.

Speaking of, when are you coming down? I know Dad doesn’t want you to come, but you can tell him I won’t let any mud people talk to you. I will watch out for you, Andi – keep you safe from the corruption of the subhumans. Though maybe, like me, once you get to know some of them, you’ll start to realize they aren’t as bad as we’ve been taught they are.

I’ve got class, so I need to get going. I’ll catch you later, bumble-butt. See, I remembered your favorite nickname – told you I wouldn’t forget the important stuff at college!

Kyle

April 9, 2009

Dear Andi,

Sorry it took so long to write to you, hon. Theresa’s death ate up all of my energy for a while, and I’m afraid that the letters I promised where one of the things to suffer for that. I know that there are a lot of rumors running around up home about what happened, so I’m going to tell you and you can at least let Mom and Dad know.

Theresa was assaulted by several men while I was home for Grandma’s birthday. I know she only gets to celebrate it every seven years, and I didn’t want to miss it, but I sure wish now that stayed home, or brought Theresa along. But I didn’t, and I didn’t even know what had happened until I found her note to me. She couldn’t live with it. She had had nightmares and the anti-depressants hadn’t worked. I had known something was wrong… I should have done so many things for her, but I didn’t know. I should have asked, should have pushed her. She didn’t believe that I’d still love her after a group of wetbacks had hurt her like that, but I wouldn’t have held that against her! It wasn’t her fault if a gang of sub-humans hurt her. It was their fault.

When I found her note, it was like someone crushed my heart, Andi. I know I’m not being a good big brother, burdening you with this stuff, but I have to talk to someone. And this next part isn’t for Mom or Dad or anyone. I know that everyone back home wouldn’t understand the path I’ve chosen at this point; they would all want me to hunt the mongrel wetbacks down. I think that I erupted when I found Theresa’s body. I’ve been better at basketball, lots better, but I can’t come out as a nova, or I’ll lose my scholarship. I saw it happen with another guy here; they left him on the team for the rest of the year, but they removed his scholarship the next year, so I gotta be careful.

I know that everyone would want me to go for vengeance, but I’m willing to wait and see. I’m willing to see justice done through the legal channels. As one of my professors said, “Violence begets more violence,” and I’m tired of it. I want to end it here and now. I don’t want anyone else to die because of outdated beliefs.

See, Theresa was sure she was pregnant. She was so sure of this that the doctors couldn’t convince her otherwise. She was so sure she was carrying a sub-human half-breed, and she was so messed up from the assault, she couldn’t think straight. If a white man had forced her, I’m sure that she would have recovered. Her beliefs killed her, ultimately. I just will have to live with the fact that she didn’t believe in my love for her, to look past all of that. And I would have, Andi. I would have.

If you’re ever in the same position (and I pray to God very night that you are never given that trial), then I want you to know that I will always love you. No matter what – you could give birth to a dozen zebras, and I wouldn’t care. You’re my sister.

Love,

Kyle

April 11, 2010

Dear Andi,

I am a fool. My father and his fathers were so much wiser than me, and yet I refused to hear them. They told me, time and again, that I should follow the Way, that the sub-humans were just that: a step below humans, just barely above animals.

Theresa will have no justice. And do you know why? I do. I know why. I saw him, today. The Homicide captain who was in charge of the department covering Theresa's case. I was in there today asking that Negro woman they assigned to it about any new leads, and I saw him. He's the one in charge, so I spoke to him.

He blew me off, blew Theresa off. "Yes, Detective Douglas made a mistake, and this won't go to court. Win some, lose some." And then he smiled! And shrugged, as if to say, it's just some white woman. I didn't understand until I saw his name.

A. L. Levinson. A Jew. It was as if it was clearly being pointed out to me: wetbacks raped her; a Negro screwed up her investigation; and a Jew made sure that she was forgotten.

I'm finally paying attention, and now I can see the truth: white man is the only true human race, and it is a war to eradicate us.

The war has one more soldier.

Tell Mom and Dad that I'll return home after graduation. There is much work to be done in Idaho; much needs to be done to save our people. I'll tell them about my eruption, my gift.

If only I had realized this in time to do something for Theresa. If only...

Please stay safe, little sister. I'll be home in a couple of months to watch over you personally. I'm sorry I can't be there now, but I need to finish college first.

I love you.

Kyle

Archived