[Fiction] Of Dreams and Desires

Velvet

Abruptly, it was gone. The haze of emotions that had clouded her thoughts coalesced into a tiny pinprick of icy clarity that pierced her to the core. Her hand dropped instantly, guiltily away and she nodded, already turning to the envelope resting on top of the bar. Within a matter of moments, the papers giving her ownership of Club Babylon were neatly folded and crisply sealed back inside the reddish packet.

She caught movement out of the corner of her eye and glanced over to see Revenant run a pallid hand back through the now-tangled mass of his hair. His shoulders were tensed, his jaw working as he stared distantly at the carpet. Sorrow and apprehension bent his head downward, and her resolve wavered once more.

V, there's no reason to be so cold about this. He went through hell and high water to give this place back to you... Don't just throw it in his face.

"I'm sorry... You're right, it is getting late, and..." Her sigh was a whisper of resignation over the fading sounds of the music. "And I meant what I said. Thank you, for everything. The club, the dinner, the dance, the poem, and more than anything, your friendship."

Her fingertips brushed her throat briefly, and then she closed the distance between them. Without a word, she pressed something cool and silver into his hand, smiling faintly.

"Good night, Sunshine. Sweet dreams."

Drama Queen.

She waved tentatively as she reached the door to the foyer and then disappeared into the brisk Chicago air, strolling somberly down the sidewalk with the envelope tucked beneath her arm. The faint melody of an old song filtered through the pre-dawn haze, a weary, slightly sad voice accompanying the slowly growing light of morning.

"Ohhhh, how I need... Someone to watch over me..."

The sound system softly played the melodious sound of Ella Fitzgerald. Alone in the corner booth, ‘their booth’, as it had come to be known. The cloudy haze of cigar smoke loomed around Warren. His elbows lay on the table, his arms propped up, one held his cigar while the other let dangle a trinket. A small silver heart shaped locket, Velvet’s locket. The one she never took off. The sheen from it’s polished surface reflected what little light there was around him and his face found itself lit up under it’s glimmering rays every so often as it spun around on it’s chain.

She was yours, you could have had her then and there, he thought just as streak of reflected light drew a line down his face, removing the ambient glow of his eyes for a brief moment. But to have her, to hold her, to be with her tonight only to have to give let her go when Babylon opens. I don’t think I could bear it. I was a warrior when I met her, a warrior with no war to fight, no cause to pledge myself to. He brought the cigar to his lips. A thick cloud of smoke rose from his mouth as the embers flared, his eyes never leaving the locket. She is my cause. Love is my war. She said it herself, in this day and age there are far too many damsels and not enough knights. I resign myself to fate. Even thought I love her, she will never be mine, the sooner I accept this the better.

Warren tipped back his drink, and reached for the bottle of whisky to pour himself another one. “There are two great tragedies in life,” he tipped up his drink and toasted to an invisible Velvet sitting across from him. “One is to lose your heart’s desire…”

The fuchsia satin gown fell over her perfect alabaster frame barely inches from the floor. Velvet pulled the blankets up and over her, the smile of pure joy never leaving her face. She reached to her nightstand and pulled the envelope containing the deed and all her dreams within. It was all so perfect. It looked as it did before the destruction, if not better. Her priceless treasures all repaired, her intricate works all resculpted by Carver and made perfect by Procyon, Singularity, Long, Timeslip, and Sunshine.

You have given me all I’ve ever wanted, Velvet thought as she hugged the enveloped tightly to her chest. A pure elated smile formed on lips, large enough to make her eyes squint. Thank you, Sunshine. Thank you.

She layed in her bed, the thoughts of how wonderful tonight was continued to play in her mind. Her outfit she wore, their booth and the dinner. Very smooth, doll. He took such care in making it all perfect. The small fight, that led into his opening his heart to her. I never really knew Warren. Honest. The dance they shared and they way they moved together under gossamer illusions, and the poem he shared. It was beautiful Warren, I loved it.

And of course, the kiss…

Lost in the euphoria of her minds eye, there in bed she raised her arm and slightly brushed her gentle fingers across her perfect glossy lips. She could feel him there, the pressure of the kiss longed upon her lips giving her a recollection of its power, passion, desire, and honesty all with perfect clarity.

The smile faded from her lips while her expression appeared to almost be a sorrowful one. Clutching the envelope a bit tighter she looked around and heard nothing. To her side there was no one and couldn’t help but think that for just being given back all her dreams and desires, something was missing.

He knocked the heady drink back, swallowing its contents and shuddering as it set his throat aflame. “The other is to gain it.” The sound system softly played the melodious sound of Ella Fitzgerald. Alone in the corner booth a cloudy haze of cigar smoke loomed around Warren…

~Fin

Archived