Onyx Path: From the Grave to the Cradle! [Monday Meeting Notes]

Matt

MichelGiorgi_titanmachy.jpg
Titanomachy art by Michel Giorgi

The Kickstarter for They Came From Beyond the Grave! finished up last week with a massive surge of pledges in the last three days. This enabled us to achieve several more Stretch Goals than we expected, which is definitely the best way to end up with a Kickstarter!

Thanks to everyone who backed and spread the word about the project!

Looking at the number of backers, in addition to the pledge amount, we are absolutely thrilled to see that this second game in the series surpassed our first game, They Came From Beneath the Sea!. We kind of thought going in that the subject matter might line up with the interests of large portions of our community, so if that’s why TCFBtG! did so well, that works for us!

It certainly looks like a third game in the series might come moseying down the trail…

But before we get to that new game, whatever it is, and its inevitable Kickstarter, here’s a reminder that next week on Thursday the 3rd we are starting the Kickstarter for Scion: Demigod! More on that next week as I give you the rundown on this latest core book for Scion and how its Kickstarter is going to be verrrry different than the KS for Scion: Origin and Scion: Hero!

Be there. Aloha! (As Steve McGarrett used to say in the 70s).

FelipeGaona_Titanomachy1.jpg
Titanomachy art by Felipe Gaona

I’m really thrilled to be able to reveal today that on Wednesday, in addition to our releases for sale, our Scarred Lands adventure The Gauntlet of Spiragos will go live as an offering on the Astral TableTop virtual tabletop venue!

This is thrilling for me for a couple of reasons.

First, as long-time MMN Blog readers know, I’ve been beating the drum for us to make more of our worlds available on the various VTT venues that folks use to play online with their friends for years.

Now that the idea of playing TTRPGs online has really caught on, and the tools to do so are getting better and better every day, it’s satisfying to see that my impulse to push in that direction is more and more considered a viable direction for us to put effort towards.

(There’s more info on Astral TableTop below in the Blurbs!).

It’s also thrilling for me because Gauntlet of Spiragos is an adventure I wrote because I had to do something creative in the TTRPG space while I was working on the late, lamented, WoD MMO.

Many a weekend I spent crouched over my laptop wresting with the writing and bouncing ideas off my housemates and my good buddy Aaron Voss. In fact, it was started during the onset of 4th Edition D&D, and edited into 5th Edition thanks to the keen eye and gaming knowledge of editor Scott Holden.

This was before Stewart Wieck and I bought the Scarred Lands IP from White Wolf, even. I just needed to create something that I could pull together without endless meetings and huge teams and giant budgets like the WoDMMO.

To see it now being reconfigured to work not as a book but as a VTT adventure is just amazing and I’m hoping that folks enjoy playing through it!

ShenFei_TerraFirma1.jpg
Terra Firma art by Shen Fei

Speaking of creating games, last Friday’s Onyx Pathcast featured Dixie, Eddy, and Matthew spinning the “wheel of game concepts” and creating game pitches on the fly. The birth of new game ideas, with the three of them rocking the cradle. I think they managed to pull together nine of them, and honestly, each one could make for a viable game – and some are real gems!

I think they’d love to hear which ones sound the best from folks listening, so please do check out last Friday’s Onyx Pathcast and drop them a comment as to which games you personally would be interested in playing.

Who knows, maybe they’ll convince me to green-light it!

Not so much a green light, but more in the lines of a blue light special, here’s just a reminder that the sale over at IPR on our 20th Anniversary Deluxe Editions and accessories is in its last week, and we are still participating in DTRPG‘s Cthulhoid sale for PDFs. Plus, I hear that we’ll be offering some sales on selected Scarred Lands PDFs over at DTRPG soon, as well.

I know sometimes it seems like I’m always pushing you to sales in this space, yet I do feel obligated since we actually do talk about business stuff in our Monday Meeting from which I derive these notes.

We do have fun and talk about the creative aspects of what we do AND necessarily we talk about schedules and sales and productivity and marketing and everything that goes on behind the scenes to make our:

Many Worlds, One Path!

Blurbs!

Kickstarter!

Scion-2-Demigod-Logo-Merged.png

Coming next week, September 3rd at 2pm EDT: Scion Demigod Second Edition!

Onyx Path Media!

Pathcast-Trio-Summoning.jpg

This week: playing off of Eddy’s extremely helpful productivity sessions with developers and writers, the Trio will be talking about the ever-gushing tide of workflow on all of our many amazing projects!

As always, this Friday’s Onyx Pathcast will be on Podbean or your favorite podcast venue! https://onyxpathcast.podbean.com/

11-OPPScheduleAug24-Aug30-1024x576.png

For anyone new to our media section, you can find us running and playing games over on twitch.tv/theonyxpath pretty much every day of the week! Plus, if you’d like your games hosted there, just get in touch with Matthew Dawkins using the contact link on matthewdawkins.com.

Please give our Twitch channel a follow, as you can find a huge number of videos of all kinds of games being run!

This week on Twitch, expect to see these games and streams running:

• Scarred Lands – A Family Affair
  • Technocracy Reloaded – Vorpal Tales
  • Danielle’s RPG Development Workshop
  • Hunter: The Vigil – Cold Cases Forsaken Spaces
  • Changeling: The Dreaming – The Last Faerie Tale
  • Mage: The Awakening – Occultists Anonymous
  • Vampire: The Masquerade – Boston by Night
  • Chronicles of Darkness – Tooth and Claw
  • Deviant: The Renegades – A Cautionary Tale
11-OPPScheduleAug24-Aug30GRAF-1024x576.p

Get watching for some fantastic insight into how to run these wonderful games and subscribe to us on Twitch, over at twitch.tv/theonyxpath

Come take a look at our YouTube channel, youtube.com/user/theonyxpath, where you can find a whole load of videos of actual plays, dissections of our games, and more, including:

Hunter: The Vigil – Hometown Heroes Episode 3 – https://youtu.be/R8FxrD_Pul4

Legendlore Actual Play w/Steffie de Vaan – https://youtu.be/6mBiaNcgaG8

Scarred Lands – Purge of the Serpentholds S1E12 – https://youtu.be/F-ib8M5_ZvI

Deviant: The Renegades – A Cautionary Tale Episode 4 – https://youtu.be/5mThqtWBCQg

They Came from Beneath the Sea! – They Came from Devil’s Reef 1/2 – https://youtu.be/TV0hJ75qOy0

Hunter: The Vigil – Uptown Shadows Episode 2 – https://youtu.be/WJUgs2qp1g8

Realms of Pugmire – Paws and Claws S2E12 – https://youtu.be/d5KQ-jmQxZE

Subscribe to our channel and click the bell icon if you want to be notified whenever new news videos and uploads come online!

Tom Murr starts up a They Came from Beneath the Sea! audio drama over on his YouTube channel as of today! Radio ReScience Episode 1: A New Beginning, can be found right here: https://youtu.be/AT2DqzlBMLM

Systematic Understanding of Everything is a new Exalted Explainer Podcast by Exalted Dev Monica Speca and Exalted Writer Chazz Kellner that is breaking down Creation in 45 minute chunks in preparation for Exalted Essence.

Their most recent episodes are available over on https://www.exaltcast.com/, with their newest covering the stunning Sidereals!

The Story Told Podcast continue their new chapter in the Fall of Jiara Exalted chronicle, and you can find a series of interludes focusing on their characters right here: https://thestorytold.libsyn.com/fall-of-jiara-24-between-rebellion-and-courtship

Chris Allen continues his excellent chronicle of Werewolf: The Forsaken over on Paleo Gaming’s Twitch channel. Do check out Very Angry Dogs! https://www.twitch.tv/paleo_gaming

Two new Occultists Anonymous episodes for you fans of Mage: The Awakening! Find them right here:

Episode 122: Power Issues 
The cabal begin their plans for striking out at Seattle with investigations and some political maneuvering. Of course, they need to leave something for the newbies to work on too…+
https://youtu.be/nHKSoj8t_8U

Episode 123: It Was Only a Kiss
Atratus reaches out to a known associate of Mr. Graves and the cabal join together to investigate the dream that Atratus had just a night before.
https://youtu.be/fjDtAWkv3jU

Please check these out and let us know if you find or produce any actual plays of our games! We’d love to feature you!

Electronic Gaming!

onyx_dice-1024x500.png

As we find ways to enable our community to more easily play our games, the Onyx Dice Rolling App is live! Our dev team has been doing updates since we launched based on the excellent use-case comments by our community, and this thing is awesome! (Seriously, you need to roll 100 dice for Exalted? This app has you covered.)

We’re told that the App Dev is currently creating an updated version for the latest devices, so keep an eye open for those!

Virtual TableTop!

Introducing a Virtual Tabletop adventure: the Gauntlet of Spiragos for Scarred Lands on Astral TableTop!

Gauntlet-Front.jpg

Scars of the Divine War, which ended less than 200 years ago, have still not healed. One such scar is the Chasm of Flies, a rent in the earth created when the titan Spiragos the Ambusher was smote down by one of the young gods, Vangal the Ravager. Now, the Chasm is inhabited by spider-eye goblins and their spider allies, but it is also thought to be the resting place of powerful artifacts from that elder age.

Gauntlet of Spiragos is a Scarred Lands adventure designed for 1st level characters, although it can be easily modified for characters of up to 5th level.

Astral TableTop is the easiest way to play any tabletop RPG online, free. Astral already supports popular systems like D&D and Pathfinder, and Astral can support virtually any tabletop roleplaying game. Get started quickly with built-in support for most popular game systems. Whether you’re brand new to TTRPGs or a veteran tabletop gamer, Astral‘s ease-of-use and built in automation is designed to streamline gameplay.

Astral is browser-based and uses the latest technology to streamline your storytelling experience. Connect with your party online and run your campaigns however you like. Astral offers tools optimized for phone, tablet, and desktop devices, no installation required.

Build epic battlemaps using Astral‘s enormous collection of scenery, props, and tokens or upload your own. Pro users gain access to over 12,000+ assets and fresh new packs every month. Add weather, visual effects, triggers, and so much more with easy-to-use tools

Build your own adventure, or choose from pre-generated game kits like Gauntlet of Spiragos. Create character sheets, craft maps, or just jump right in to connect with your friends and start your adventures!

On Amazon and Barnes & Noble!

You can now read our fiction from the comfort and convenience of your Kindle (from Amazon) and Nook (from Barnes & Noble).

If you enjoy these or any other of our books, please help us by writing reviews on the site of the sales venue from which you bought it. Reviews really, really help us get folks interested in our amazing fiction!

Our selection includes these latest fiction books:

Fiction-Wave-5-1024x382.png

Our Sales Partners!

logo.png

We’re working with Studio2 to provide our traditionally printed books out into your local game stores. Game stores can order via their usual distributors, and can also contact Studio2 directly. And individuals can check out our projects via the links below!

You can pick up the traditionally printed Pugmire and Monarchies of Mau main books, screens, and the official dice through our friends there! https://studio2publishing.com/search?q=pugmire

Now, we’ve added Chronicles of Darkness books such as Changeling: The Lost Second Edition products to Studio2‘s store! See them here: https://studio2publishing.com/collections/all-products/changeling-the-lost

Scion 2e books and other products are available now at Studio2: https://studio2publishing.com/blogs/new-releases/scion-second-edition-book-one-origin-now-available-at-your-local-retailer-or-online

Our Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition books are also available from Studio2 in the US: https://studio2publishing.com/products/vampire-the-masquerade-chicago-by-night-sourcebook

iprlogo.png

Looking for our Deluxe or Prestige Edition books? Try this link! http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/Onyx-Path-Publishing/

And you can order Pugmire, Monarchies of Mau, Cavaliers of Mars, and Changeling: The Lost 2e at the same link! And now Scion Origin and Scion Hero and Trinity Continuum Core and Trinity Continuum: Aeon are available to order

It’s the final week of the DOG DAYS OF SUMMER SALE!

2020-IPR-Slider.jpg
DriveThruRPG.png

As always, you can find Onyx Path’s titles at DriveThruRPG.com!

The Cthulhu Mythos sale at DriveThruRPG continues this week, and we’ll have some God-Machine PDFs included in the sale!

On Sale This Week!

VigilWatch_The_Iron_Court-1.jpg

This Wednesday, the Scarred Lands PDF series of Vigil Watch continues with Part 4 – The Iron Court detailing the roving city of the Iron Court, home to the Ironbred, and provides the first deep dive into Ironbred culture in the Scarred Lands! Only on sale on DTRPG!

Over at our RedBubble store, we are now offering safety masks emblazoned with the Trinity Continuum: Aeon order symbols!

Aesculp-Mask.jpg

And as noted above, on Wednesday the Scarred Lands adventure The Gauntlet of Spiragos will be offered on the Astral TableTop virtual tabletop venue – the adventure plus maps plus tokens all within the easy to use Astral TableTop interface. You can access the adventure and pretty much start playing!

Gauntlet-Front.jpg

Conventions!

Though dates for physical conventions are subject to change due to the current COVID-19 outbreak, here’s what’s left of our current list of upcoming conventions (and really, we’re just waiting for this last one to be cancelled even though it’s Nov/Dec). Instead, keep an eye out here for more virtual conventions we’re going to be involved with:

PAX Unplugged: https://unplugged.paxsite.com/

And now, the new project status updates!

Development Status from Eddy Webb! (Projects in bold have changed status since last week.):

First Draft (The first phase of a project that is about the work being done by writers, not dev prep.)

• Exalted Essay Collection (Exalted)
  • The Devoted Companion (Deviant: The Renegades)
  • Prometheus Unbound (was Psi Orders) (Trinity Continuum: Aeon)
  • No Gods, No Masters (Scion 2nd Edition)
  • Scion Fiction Anthology (Scion 2nd Edition)
  • TC: Aeon Novella: Dawn (Trinity Continuum: Aeon)
  • TC: Aeon Novella: Meridian (Trinity Continuum: Aeon)
  • Legacies of Earth (Legendlore)

Redlines

• Dragon-Blooded Novella #2 (Exalted 3rd Edition)
  • Wild Hunt (Scion 2nd Edition)
  • CtL 2e Novella Collection: Hollow Courts (Changeling: The Lost 2e)
  • Adversaries of the Righteous (Exalted 3rd Edition)
  • Squeaks In The Deep (Realms of Pugmire)
  • Trinity Continuum: Anima

Second Draft

• Many-Faced Strangers – Lunars Companion (Exalted 3rd Edition)
  • M20 Rich Bastard’s Guide To Magick (Mage: The Ascension 20th Anniversary)
  • Hundred Devil’s Night Parade (Exalted 3rd Edition)
  • Novas Worldwide (Trinity Continuum: Aberrant)
  • Exalted Essence Edition (Exalted 3rd Edition)
  • Saints and Monsters (Scion 2nd Edition)
  • M20 Technocracy Operative’s Dossier (Mage: The Ascension 20th Anniversary)

Development

• TC: Aberrant Reference Screen (Trinity Continuum: Aberrant)
  • Across the Eight Directions (Exalted 3rd Edition)
  • Contagion Chronicle: Global Outbreaks (Chronicles of Darkness)
  • Exigents (Exalted 3rd Edition)
  • Assassins (Trinity Continuum Core)
  • Kith and Kin (Changeling: The Lost 2e)
  • V5 Forbidden Religions (Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition)
  • V5 Children of the Blood (was The Faithful Undead) (Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition)
  • Trinity Continuum: Adventure! core (Trinity Continuum: Adventure!)

Manuscript Approval

• Crucible of Legends (Exalted 3rd Edition)
  • M20 Victorian Mage (Mage: the Ascension 20th Anniversary Edition)
  • V5 Trails of Ash and Bone (Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition)
  • Mission Statements (Trinity Continuum: Aeon)
  • Dystopia Rising: Evolution Fiction Anthology (Dystopia Rising: Evolution)
  • Contagion Chronicle Ready-Made Characters (Chronicles of Darkness)
  • Dead Man’s Rust (Scarred Lands)
  • The Clades Companion (Deviant: The Renegades)

Post-Approval Development

Editing

• Lunars Novella (Rosenberg) (Exalted 3rd Edition)
  • Mummy: The Curse 2nd Edition core rulebook (Mummy: The Curse 2nd Edition)
  • Player’s Guide to the Contagion Chronicle (Chronicles of Darkness)
  • TC: Aberrant Jumpstart (Trinity Continuum: Aberrant)
  • LARP Rules (Scion 2nd Edition)
  • Heirs to the Shogunate (Exalted 3rd Edition)
  • The Book of Lasting Death (Mummy: The Curse 2e)
  • Scion: Dragon (Scion 2nd Edition)
  • Scion: Demigod (Scion 2nd Edition)
  • Dearly Bleak – Novella (Deviant: The Renegades)
  • N!ternational Wrestling Entertainment (Trinity Continuum: Aberrant)
  • Under Alien Skies (Trinity Continuum: Aeon)

Post-Editing Development

• City of the Towered Tombs (Cavaliers of Mars)
  • W20 Shattered Dreams Gift Cards (Werewolf: The Apocalypse 20th)
  • Cults of the Blood Gods (Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition)
  • Hunter: The Vigil 2e core (Hunter: The Vigil 2nd Edition)
  • Trinity Continuum: Aberrant core (Trinity Continuum: Aberrant)
  • Deviant: The Renegades (Deviant: The Renegades)
  • Monsters of the Deep (They Came From Beneath the Sea!)
  • Legendlore core book (Legendlore)
  • Pirates of Pugmire KS-Added Adventure (Realms of Pugmire)
  • Tales of Aquatic Terror (They Came From Beneath the Sea!)
  • Terra Firma (Trinity Continuum: Aeon)
  • One Foot in the Grave Jumpstart (Geist: The Sin-Eaters 2e)
  • Masks of the Mythos (Scion 2nd Edition)
  • Trinity Continuum Jumpstart (Trinity Continuum)
  • They Came From Beyond the Grave! (They Came From!)
  • Contagion Chronicle Jumpstart (Chronicles of Darkness)

Indexing

Art Direction from Mike Chaney!

In Art Direction

• Tales of Aquatic Terror – LeBlanc art in and getting fulls.
  • WoD Ghost Hunters (KS) – KS page to Paradox for approval.
  • Hunter: The Vigil 2e
  • Mummy 2
  • Deviant – Sending out art notes and finding new artists, too.
  • Legendlore
  • Technocracy Reloaded
  • Cults of the Blood God
  • Scion: Dragon (KS)
  • Masks of the Mythos (KS)
  • Scion: Demigod (KS) – Graphics are done and I think the page is pretty much ready.
  • They Came From Beyond the Grave! (KS)
  • TC: Adventure! (KS)
  • Geist: One Foot In the Grave

In Layout

• Yugman’s Guide to Ghelspad
  • Vigil Watch
  • Trinity Core Jumpstart
  • Aberrant

Proofing

• Cavaliers of Mars: City of the Towered Tombs
  • Magic Item Decks (Scarred Lands)
  • Yugman’s Guide Support Decks (Scarred Lands)
  • TC Aeon Terra Firma – Sent back to Josh, looking good.
  • Scion Titanomachy
  • V5 Let the Streets Run Red – Inputting corrections.
  • Pugmire Adventure – Need map finished.

At Press

• TCFBTS Screen and Booklet – Files at press.
  • They Came from Beneath the Sea! – Shipping from printer to KS fulfiller.
  • Pirates of Pugmire – Shipping from printer to KS fulfiller.
  • Pirates of Pugmire Screen – Files at press.
  • Dark Eras 2 – Files printing.
  • Dark Eras 2 Screen and booklet – Files at press.
  • Contagion Chronicle – Press prep.
  • Contagion Chronicle Screen and Booklet – Files at press.
  • Lunars Wall Scroll Map – Shipping to KS fulfiller from printer.
  • Lunars Screen and Booklet – Files at press.
  • Lunars: Fangs at the Gate – Prepping files for PoD and press.
  • Scarred Lands Creature Collection – Shipping from printer to KS fulfiller.

Today’s Reason to Celebrate!

From the sublime to the ridiculous: today is the birthday of Stephen Fry, English actor, journalist, producer, and screenwriter in 1957, and one year later in 1958 is born Steve Guttenberg, American actor and producer.

Archived