Date: Olarune the 16th, 998 YK

Dawn broke over the Heart of the Silver Flame, resting upon the shore of Scions Sound. Off in the distance, Thronehold glistened, the waters surrounding the city glittering in sunlight, like cast diamonds against light blue velvet.

Tobias felt calm on the shore, the seat of power in shattered Galifar before him, and the rest of Flamekeep at his back. Not far from shore, fishers caught the day's food, and around him, the city stirred to life.

Tobias rose, and made his way into the city, because today was a sacred day. As he walked, he noticed that there were more refugees again – some elves and halflings from displaced hamlets along the border to Cyre, making themselves at home in an increasingly diverse Flamekeep; some warforged, many just pacing the streets heedless of food or rest because they didn't know what else to do with themselves. Tobias had seen more shifters this past year than in all the years previous, and it was whispered that shifters must be desperate indeed to find themselves in Flamekeep.

As always, Tobias was helpful, directing the lost to the hostels and temples, and then he went on his way, because today was a sacred day. In front of the Cathedral of the Silver Flame, for the first time since the treaty of Thronehold, Jaela Daran – Most Exalted High Priestess, Keeper of the Silver Flame, She Who Walks in Darkness – Jaela Daran would make a public proclamation about the future of the Church's works.

Speculation ran rampant about what it meant, and everyone who was anyone would be there. Tobias didn't feel he was really anyone – but he'd be in that public square, listening to that magically boosted voice, if he could help it in any way.

A girl, years younger than he, commanding an entire faith and a nation, whose words today would affect Khorvaine one way or another. Tobias did not find fault with this. It was, after all, the mark of the Silver Flame that the worthy arose not through blood or title or mere wealth, but by good works, deeds and the potential it foresaw. The Flame would not made its own Keeper from substandard material.

And the populace felt that, and awaited what was next. People around him, exuding curiosity, excitement, but also, anxiety and hope. Especially those two. So many dispossessed now trod the streets. Warforged, shifters, it did not matter. They were afraid, lost, in need of help and hope. Tobias was only an acolyte, but he did idly suppose, if he had the authority to see it, they would have succor.

If the aid would aid them in bettering their lives and strengthening their souls, who was anyone to deny them that? Tobias looked across the streets, seeing if he could find a place at the edges or rear. No prominence of position would be necessary - that would be vain and pointless. Just enough space for him to be present, listen and reflect.

The sudden blare of trumpets caused the crowd to roar, and Tobias' attention was diverted to the Cathedral's steps. Not long after, the Keeper emerged, to deafening applause.

She spoke, after gesturing for silence. "Thank you, my Faithful, for coming today.

"We are two years removed from the end of the Last War, and its wounds still run deep. All across our nation's borders, unchanged by the century of warfare, we have taken in what we can. We have endeavored to be a roof over the heads of the homeless, and a soup kitchen for the hungry.

"Thrane heals. But Thrane is not Khorvaire."

The crowd murmured, as Keeper Daran continued. "Across the nations of Khorvaire, there is suffering, and the remit of the Silver Flame is to be a light in the darkness wherever it is needed. To that end, I am announcing the Silver Hearth initiative – an extension of good charity across this continent, to be a balm on wounds of the body and soul. We will send the tenders of the Silver Hearth to Breland, to Karrnath – "

"They have vampires in Karrnath!" shouted someone in the crowd.

All around him, part of the crowd started to turn ugly – but only part. There were faithful trying to drown out the shouts with cheers towards the notion of charity. Keeper Daran struggled to continue. "Listen! We have all lost in the face of this war, but what we must understand is that all have lost, and none deserve it. The teachings of the Flame are not there for when forgiveness comes easy – "

Her words were drowned out by a combination of cheers and jeers, and in front of Tobias, an altercation between a two women and three men – and it was hard to say which was which – broke out. It was just fisticuffs for now… but that could change.

The sudden blare of trumpets caused the crowd to roar, and Tobias' attention was diverted to the Cathedral's steps. Not long after, the Keeper emerged, to deafening applause.

She spoke, after gesturing for silence. "Thank you, my Faithful, for coming today.

"We are two years removed from the end of the Last War, and its wounds still run deep. All across our nation's borders, unchanged by the century of warfare, we have taken in what we can. We have endeavored to be a roof over the heads of the homeless, and a soup kitchen for the hungry.

"Thrane heals. But Thrane is not Khorvaire."

The crowd murmured, as Keeper Daran continued. "Across the nations of Khorvaire, there is suffering, and the remit of the Silver Flame is to be a light in the darkness wherever it is needed. To that end, I am announcing the Silver Hearth initiative – an extension of good charity across this continent, to be a balm on wounds of the body and soul. We will send the tenders of the Silver Hearth to Breland, to Karrnath – "

This... was momentous to say the least. But befitting the duties of the Church, and by all means, Tobias glowed. Eagerly, he listened to the details of the Keeper's wise words...

"They have vampires in Karrnath!" shouted someone in the crowd.

All around him, part of the crowd started to turn ugly – but only part. There were faithful trying to drown out the shouts with cheers towards the notion of charity. Keeper Daran struggled to continue. "Listen! We have all lost in the face of this war, but what we must understand is that all have lost, and none deserve it. The teachings of the Flame are not there for when forgiveness comes easy – "

Tobias froze as if struck physically. Who just interrupted the Keeper in such an insulting way?! And what, use vampires as an excuse to ignore the living, or worse, to be cowardly? Frighteningly, others, though blessedly, just a fraction seemed to take up this blind and ignorant refrain. But their willingness to be so disrespectfully vocal here and towards the Keeper bothered him deeply.

On 11/10/2015, 9:45:10, Charlotte said:

Her words were drowned out by a combination of cheers and jeers, and in front of Tobias, an altercation between a two women and three men – and it was hard to say which was which – broke out. It was just fisticuffs for now… but that could change.

And that was mentally, the snapping of the oak stick. Tobias had enough. Angrily, he pushed in between the quarrelers heedlessly, face flushed with indignation. "Stop this conduct," he hissed, "don't you dare bring violence into this place."

One of the men drew himself up to his full height, towering over Tobias by a foot. His friend, nowhere near as tall, did likewise. The other party in the altercation dusted himself off slightly, unsure of what to do.

The tall man spoke. "Kid – I lost my father in the Last War. Denis here lost a sister, a mother and a husband. Now, they were mostly to Aundarians and the Brelish, but they still died. I've lost enough blood to those who follow deviant faiths, and not a drop of sweat from my brow will be spent feeding those bastards – "

"You think I haven't lost anything?" The other man in the scuffle stared down the tall man. "I lost my father and two brothers to the Cyrans. But I haven't lost a hundredth of what the Cyrans have. They lost a nation. People out there are hurting! We've lost no territory. We have so much. Why can't… we…"

The argument paused, and Tobias looked towards the Cathedral, as the crowd fell silent.

A column of pure, shining silver flame – a dreamed about but, typically, unseen sight – rose from the midst of the Cathedral. For a moment Tobias thought it was the doing of the Keeper, but she looked as surprised as anyone. It licked at the sky. It was as beautiful as he'd imagine.

A lick of flame tore itself away, and spiraled down towards the crowd. The others in the scuffle scattered, but Tobias found himself unable to move, and didn't know why. So he watched, as the flame streaked closer, and wonder for the first time if this is what those who died to mystic fireballs in the war felt.

Then everything went white.

When Tobias recovered, he found himself in a bed, no longer indoors but inside some very solid stone walls. At his side was a Halfling priestess, who, upon seeing him wake, grabbed a bell and rang it.

Tobias blinked, trying to process what happened. The manifestation of the Silver Flame, the heat. He was more baffled then anything. The heat in his head didn't help. The acolyte placed a hand to his forehead, only to find to his surprise that the skin was cool to the touch. No, the heat seemed to be more in his veins as well. Less hot now, but still very warm.

He wasn't sick or signaled out for some kind of judgement, was he?

"Sister... what happened to me?"

“Well, officially, what happened is something we don’t know about, and certain divine auguries are being made and portents are being read, and I imagine there’s going to be a Silverwood shortage shortly.”

Tobias knew what Silverwood was – it was alchemically treated wood that was broken up into small chips that, when tossed into a fire, made it briefly burn silver. It was a novelty to most, but the augers of the Church preferred to use it in pyromancy, which was the preferred method of divination reading by the Church of the Silver Flame – reading the future in patterns of flame and smoke.

“But I was never much for ‘officially,’ so unofficially, what happened is that a gout of fire from the Silver Flame itself – “ She made a complicated gesture, an expression of reverence for the object of their shared faith. “Burst out of the Cathedral and struck you square in the chest. And you’re alive. They’re all trying to figure out why. I just want to know if you’re okay."

That Tobias had managed to piece together for himself already. His face creased in thought and confusion at this miracle? Mystic event? Curse? Something? "I feel a burning sensation, but I don't think I have a fever, do I?" A little less than a couple minutes ago, actually, but still definitely noticeable.

"Nope, no fever. On the outside, you seem okay. Burning sensation, you say. Hmmm. All throughout your body, or – "

The priestess was interrupted by the door to the chamber sweeping wide. In strode a paid of guards, and the Keeper herself.Trailing the Keeper was an imposing man with a lengthly greatsword strapped to his back and dressed in full functional plate. He was speaking very insistently to the Keeper.

" – do not know the risks! I want it on the record that this is a terrible idea – "

"I understand." The Keeper regarded Tobias, looking him up and down. She touched the symbol of the Silver Flame at her neck. "That's interesting," she said, lost in thought.

The priestess coughed. "Acolyte Tobias, this is Keeper Jaela Daran, Most Exalted High Priestess, Keeper of the Silver Flame, She Who Walks in Darkness. This man is Knight-Commander Auriks of the Templars. I'm Priestess Fairhollow. Hi."

"Your Keeper is present, Priestess Fairhollow," said Auriks.

"So she is." The priestess took a knee, and made the same complicated gesture of reverence. "Apologies. I have been concentrating long upon the health of this young man."

"High Priestess." Tobias came to a knee at once, making the gestures of reverence, trying to remain composed. And not act like a schoolchild when in her Exalted presence. Strange circumstances aside. "Your presence is a great honor. Perhaps you will be able to explain... what happened?"

The knight-commander watched Tobias warily, waiting for any sudden moves. The Keeper seemed not entirely present, and lost in thought… or prayer.

"By the way, Tobias," whispered Priestess Fairhollow. "Good on you to intervene in that fight in the crowd. It could have turned nasty very quickly indeed."

Keeper Daran focused her gaze on Tobias. "I have an answer… impossible as it seems. Acolyte Tobias, I believe that somehow… I don't know how just yet, but somehow, the Silver Flame burns within you. Not in the way the faith of ones like myself, the Knight-Commander, or Priestess Fairhollow burns within us. I believe that the Silver Flame has literally manifested, in part, within you. Which, as I said, should be impossible."

"Another word for it might be 'miracle,'" interjected Priestess Fairhollow.

"Or 'deceit,'" added Knight-Commander Auriks.

"We will see which is which soon. Acolyte Tobias, can you stand? If so, come with me. You too, Priestess, since you seem to have studied him the most closely."

Without much more to say, the Keeper led the group through the halls of the Cathedral, to some unknown destination.

They emerged in what Acolyte Tobias recognized as the Templar training grounds, with wooden practice dummies and an assortment of targets for archery. Several of them were on the field already, attacking each other with wooden swords. One of them, a young woman about Tobias' age, was leaned up against a wall, her arm in a sling with blood soaking through it, observing the combat.

Once they noticed that they were in the presence of the Knight Commander, they stood at attention - even the young woman, though she had to salute with her other arm. Then they noticed the Keeper and froze, unsure of what to do.

"Who is your sergeant?" asked the Keeper.

One of them spoke. "Keeper, I am the Sergeant, Keeper!"

"I'm not Knight-Commander Auriks, Sergeant. You don't need to say my title twice. We require the use of your training ground and we need to see it cleared."

"Keeper, yes, at once, Keeper. ... yes." The sergeant turned to those assembled. "You heard the Keeper, you walking dunghe - you recruits! Fall out!"

The recruits emptied out of the field, with the wounded woman lagging, and limping along slightly.

Tobias had went along in dumbfounded silence. He could forgive the Knight-Commander's suspicions because the concept seemed a bit much. That the extant incarnation of your faith had unleashed its power all of a sudden, and given some of it to you, a young acolyte with little accomplishments... even faith seemed a bit insecure and unsure.

The alternative did not really bear thinking about. Tobias exhaled, trying to cut the tension out of his core and came to face Jaela. "What would you have me do, High Priestess?"

"It is my strong belief, Acolyte Tobias, that you may be capable of acts of channeled faith beyond any cleric in living memory. As I said, the Flame burns within you. You: stop."

The Keeper held up her hand at the wounded soldier, who obediently stopped. "Keeper, yes, Keeper? Sorry, Keeper."

"Tobias." The Keeper beckoned him closer. "When you see this wound, what does it stir within you?"

As Tobias looked at the wound, he knew – on a level deeper than knowledge, on pure faith alone, that the wound may be bad, and it may be painful, but it was also only temporary. That it was an impurity of the body, a wound to the self, and that impurity could be cleansed with the raging fire of the soul; with silver flame. He felt the slow rise of the fire within him, seeing suffering and wishing its relief.

This could be fixed. This... would be fixed. Tobias approached the injured woman, finding himself innately calm and sure. "More to our being, than just mere flesh and blood." The metaphorical hatch snapped open, and silver fire, warm but not burning, emerged from his palm and up to the fingertips. Tobias pressed his hand to the slung arm, and thought one word: Heal.

"Incredible," said Keeper Daran.

"Unbelievable," said Knight-Commander Auriks.

"What?" said the young recruit. Then, belatedly: "… wow."

Everyone looked at the arm, as the silver flame, for lack of a better term, burnt away the injury. As if it were an impurity in the ore of the flesh, boiled away by the heat of the forge. The recruit flexed her arm, which was as good as new. "Are… are you a cleric? I've never…"

"Recruit Godalkin," said Auriks carefully. "Under direct order from your Knight-Commander, you are not to utter a word of this to anyone. You have been formally sworn to secrey. Do you understand?"

"Sir, yes, sir."

"Good. Dismissed."

She nodded, passing by Tobias on the way, whispering into his ear, "I'm Mary. Thank you."

As she left, Priestess Fairhollow stroked her chin. "Should I leave, also?"

"No. If Tobias feels faint you are the most familiar with his treatment." The Keeper pointed at the wooden practice dummies, then to Tobias. "Acolyte, can your flame harm as well as heal?"

Tobias felt the fire shift inside, becoming harsher and sharper, as if hearing and responding to the Keeper's question. If this was indeed, a portion of the blessed Silver Fire, it probably could. He raised an arm, and more easily now, channeled the fire downrange. Silver flames roared and consumed one of the dummies until it was ashes.

“Well now,” said Auriks, impressed.

“I see,” said the Keeper, her voice carefully neutral.

“That’s one wooden dummy that will never terrorize hapless recruits again. Well done, Tobias.” Fairhollow leaned back against the wall.

With some further practice, they determined that Tobias could shape the flame in many ways – he could restrict, he could protect himself, he could heal and he could cause blazing, fiery harm. After half an hour, Auriks made a decision.

“Keeper, I believe we should move Acolyte Tobias to the Proving Grounds.”

The Keeper quirked an eyebrow. “Explain.”

“If anything goes wrong, it’s isolated on the outskirts of the city, but not so isolated that we can’t get reinforcements in addition to the guards we will have posted there. The recruits can be reassigned. The isolation can keep tongues in the city’s clergy and bureaucracy from wagging as well.”

“Ha, the owners of those tongues could use a little exercise.” Fairhollow stood back up straighter. “And I have to ask if you’re going to ask Acolyte Tobias how he feels about this.”

“Both your points are well taken. Tobias.” The Keeper looked him square in the eyes. “The Proving Grounds are an advanced training station with full on-site staff, not far from the city – but it is separate from the city and we don’t know when you could return. I doubt any of us could stop you if you didn’t want to go. But I would be there, and so would Auriks and Fairhollow. We would make sure no harm comes to pass and with the isolation, we could see what you are fully capable of. What do you think of this?”

“We’ll all leave in the morning.”

Tobias slept restlessly, the stress of the day unravelling through anxiety-ridden dreams pointing to everything in the city awash in silver flames turning black as a starless night. He awoke, nonetheless, ready for the trip.

The Keeper, Auriks, Fairhollow and their retinue accompanied him, among their number the recruit named Mary, whose arm he’d healed. The horses and carriages filed with clergy, clerks and other witnesses to Tobias’ abilities, all sworn to secrecy and about to carry out their duties elsewhere. They all were looking at the shrouded carriage a third of the way from the front of the line.

The Proving Grounds were sparse and cold, and low on creature comforts. A comfortable bed was replaced with a lumpy one, and the brighter everburning torches of the city were replaced with more conventional oil models. But no one else complained. Fairhollow seemed an expert at turning even the sparse environment into a comfortable place, helping him get squared away. As they helped to rotate his mattress and beat the dust out of it, she asked him a question.

“What do you think all of this is, then? Why you? Why now. And is it what it appears to be? I notice you nodding along to a lot of requests, Tobias, but not much else. So I would understand if you are overwhelmed, but I feel this is something someone should ask you.”

Tobias looked at Fairhollow more than a bit surprised that she should raise that question. "Is there any real question? Why me, why now, I don't know. But the Flame has its reasons." There was a straightforward certainty in his voice. "There can't be any other cause. In that place, that time, from there. No illusion clearly, I was not the only one to see it. The answers will come in time, I'm sure."

“Hmmm.” Fairhollow nodded. “Your faith is nothing to be scoffed at. I wish I shared your certainty that all would be well, though. Walk with me.”

Fairhollow led Tobias around the grounds, her expression distant and lit by flickering torchlight, and her thoughts clearly no longer in the present. “Tobias, have you read about the crusades? The ones against lycanthropy, that spilled out towards innocent shifters. The When Queen Jolina took the throne over four hundred years ago, she sought to spread the faith at swordpoint. What do you think about those, and how do they fit into how you view the Flame?

"Terrible mistakes." Tobias responded sadly. History had been part of his education from the Church, and he knew about its darker moments as well as the general glory. "The Flame calls on us to fight evil and help others. Imposing the Church by force perverts our calling. Conversion can only truly stem from persuasion and example. Even then, not being of the Church doesn't make anyone unable to do the right thing." His frown formed as he considered her question. "Is there a reason in particular you ask this?"

“The reason I ask this, Acolyte Tobias, is because all of them thought they were bringing good into the world even as they did anything but.

“There is one school of thought that says that every utterance from the Silver Flame is sacrosanct; that its every instruction is pure. There is another that thinks that the demon that the couatl and Tira Miron defeated is in the Flame with them, and its impure utterances are those that sends the Flame astray. I think, myself, that sometimes there’s a reason the flame is silver – because it’s a mirror.”

The duo walked throughout the grounds, mist forming on Fairhollow’s breath. Tobias was warmed by the flame, but even he felt a mild chill in the mid-Olarune air. She continued. “Sometimes the utterances and interpretations and impressions that are gleaned are that which we expect or want. A warmonger sees a justification for war. A peaceful giver of solace will give that solace regardless. Not all the time – there is something there, of that I’m certain – but sometimes that something gets filtered through our imperfect selves.

“There will be a lot of imperfect selves pulling you this way and that, if these abilities of yours are as unique as we think they are. Remember their imperfections and your own, Tobias. Blind faith is still blind.”

"I understand." Tobias acknowledged. After the giddy thrill, and the sheer joy that came from the fire within, only now was the reminder of the outside world setting in. He didn't feel that different, than more aware than the acolyte that he still was - but others might, no, he had to admit, would see it otherwise. Well, there was one safeguard against falling too far: his conscience.

The Silver Flame embodied many things, great power, but choice was something it could only ask for, not demand.

“Good, good. I’m sure that the why and wherefore of your acquisition of these powers will be… hmmm.”

Fairhollow stopped in mid-step, walking back a few paces. She stared down a corridor at the door on the far end, and frowned. “Acolyte Tobias, I could swear I saw someone slip through those doors, and they lead to Keeper Daran’s quarters…”

Tobias went through the doors, and saw a second set ahead, being slid open by someone clad in dark grey - an elf or a slim human. At each side of the door was a guard, slumped over, a dart in each of their necks.

The intruder was leaving the Keeper's quarters, and they locked eyes with Tobias. They only hesitated a second, before they brought a dart-loaded miniature crossbow to bear...

Roll initiative! If you beat this: Initiative roll for assassin, 12/29/2015: 1D20+4 = [8]+4 = 12

Then you get to go first.

Otherwise, they're going to attack Tobias with a DC 20 Toughness save attack, with this to-hit: Ranged attack roll, assassin, 12/29/2015: 1D20+7 = [10]+7 = 17

Tobias blinked, but something in him, bolstered by the fire, surged to stop this intruder. "GET GUARDS!" He yelled loudly, so Fairhollow could see to it. He raised his hand, and silver fire whipped from his hands to ensnare the criminal. Tira save them if they'd hurt the Keeper!

Spoiler

Initiative
Jeremy *rolls* 1d20: 17+6: 23

Attack - Silver Bonds
Jeremy *rolls* 1d20: 11+10: 21

DC 20 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Will; Hindered & Vulnerable, Immobile & Defenseless; Extra Condition, Limited to Two Degrees)

[The Assassin's Attack Misses]

Dodge roll for the assassin.: 1D20+4 = [20]+4 = 24

The assassin managed to dodge out of the way of the twisting silver fire. They looked past Tobias to the door he was blocking, and at the spot on him that their bolt had bounced off of. Then the assassin tucked their hand crossbow under their chin, and fired.

Fairhollow called out for the guards as the assassin collapsed. Helping the hired killer may or may not have been within Tobias' abilities, but he didn't know if he had the time to help the assassin, the Keeper, and the guards. So he dashed towards the door, shoving it open.

The Keeper was lying prone on the floor, with foam coming out of her mouth as she choked on something. As Tobias neared, she jerked, her eyes locking with his, and she was still alive.

Tobias promptly knelt above the Keeper and placed his hands on her, hurriedly praying to the Silver Flame to aid him. The flame pushed to restore life, strength and survival to Jaela Daran. It had not yet fully sunk in that someone had tried to have Her Excellency assassinated, but already, somewhere inside the fire was heating in Tobias' heart.

Spoiler

Blessings of the Silver Flame: Healing 9 (Persistent, Stabilize)

At his touch, the Keeper immediately recovered, though he could feel the poison fighting back. Whatever they’d used was serious stuff. But nonetheless, she seemed invigorated by his touch, beyond even his healing gifts.

“The guards…” she croaked out, struggling to her feet, gripping Tobias’ side. “We need to help them…”

Then the doors opened, and Auriks strode in, flanked by another two guards. “Keeper! Are you well? And Tobias, who did this? Was the assassin I glimpsed in the hall alone?”

“Hmmm. You two – “ He snapped his fingers at the guards. “Bring those who were disabled in here, and we’ll have Tobias look at them. Then I want you both to take their places and make sure that no one suspicious gets in here. There may be more than one of them.”

The guards obeyed, going to fetch the downed guards, and Auriks turned to Tobias. “Did they give any sign who sent them or what kind of assassin they were? Foreign nation, perhaps. Or one of the Dragonmarked houses mindful of competition in the healing or hospitality markets. Think, Tobias. Anything could be a hint.”

“Good idea. Give me a moment.” Auriks left the room, and shortly after the bodies of the wounded guards were dragged in, Auriks returned with the body in his arms. He nodded to the two living guards as Tobias saw to their wounded brethren. “Make sure they didn’t have any backup. Both of you, outside the door.”

They took their posts, as Auriks set the dead body of the assassin down. Keeper Daran, waving on her feet, pulled back the hood of the assassin, and paused at the slim human female face underneath. “I…”

“You know her. I know.”

Tobias and Daran turned to Auriks, who slowly turned to face them. Behind him, a strange disc with softly glowing runes had been set onto the door. Auriks had his hand on his sword and was pulling it out.

“The disc on the door seals it against being opened, and keeps sound from travelling. No one’ll hear.” His voice was sad, but dutiful.

“She’s one of the Argentium. I vetted her myself.”

“You did. But I trained her. She was loyal to me, first and foremost. I’m sorry it had to be this way. I didn’t want to believe the Whispering Flame. But it’s true, Keeper Daran. You’ve lost your way. And for the sake of our country, you have to be removed…”

Auriks pointed his sword at Tobias.

“After I deal with the one man who seems able to beat back the poison I was assured would work.”

With that, Auriks charged.

Aurik Initiative roll.: 1D20+6 = [12]+6 = 18

If Tobias beats that, Tobias goes first. Otherwise Auriks attacks with this:

Aurik Attack Roll. His sword is a DC23 damage effect.: 1D20+8 = [17]+8 = 25

Tobias seemed frozen for a moment or two, stunned by the revelations thrust upon him. The Knight-Commander's sword came down...

And Auriks was smashed back a few paces by a solid wall of silver fire. As the flames burnt out, Tobias was visible again. His brow creased, but his eyes resigned and set. "Very well."

And the flames surged around Auriks with a keening sound.

Spoiler

Initiative
Jeremy *rolls* 1d20: 6+6: 12

Toughness
Jeremy *rolls* 1d20: 17+10: 27

Action - Silver Bonds: Ranged Affliction 10 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Will; Hindered & Vulnerable, Immobile & Defenseless; Extra Condition, Limited to Two Degrees)
POWER ATTACK -2/+2
Jeremy *rolls* 1d20: 13+8: 21
Therefore, DC is 22.

HP: 1
CONDITION: Unharmed

Auriks Dodge roll against the silver bonds.: 1D20+8 = [17]+8 = 25

[/url]

That beats a 22, so he dodges.

Auriks sword attack (DC 23 Toughness.): 1D20+8 = [2]+8 = 10

That is a miss.

Auriks' eyes went wide as he saw the flames formed, and he dodged out of the way of the grasping flames. He rolled, and came up sword at the ready. He swung wildly, missing Tobias by over a foot.

"Tobias, listen to me. Keeper Daran is listening to the whispers of the demon in the Flame."

At this, Daran laughed. “What on Eberron could possibly give you that idea – “

“Look at what she’s proposing! Giving Thrane’s resources to our enemies! Our enemies, Tobias! Not half a decade ago their swords were at our throats! If this was a dockworker giving supplies to an Aundarian we’d have them in the stocks! But the moment it becomes policy it’s a crime too big to punish.”

“They are in need – “

“And we aren’t? Anyone who would put refugees and foreigners over their own country is no fit Keeper of the Flame. They’ll find a new Keeper, Tobias. One with a firmer head on their shoulders. It won’t be me. The most I can hope for is that they just kill me, and I accept that. I will fall on my sword for this. Just let me past and I promise it will be quick. I’m no monster.”

"To battle evil and suffering, mortal and supernatural - that is our calling." Tobias quoted from memory - the earliest lessons he'd been taught in the orphanage. "They are no longer our enemies." Sadly, he formed a sphere of white heat between his hands before thrusting them forward to lash at Auriks.

Spoiler

A basic Silver Fire attack:
Jeremy *rolls* 1d20: 9+10: 19

Given his Dodge rank, that should hit: Toughness DC 25

Auriks Toughness Save (DC25.): 1D20+8 = [13]+8 = 21

That misses by 4, so Auriks takes a -1 circumstance penalty to further Toughness checks.

The blast hit, grazing Auriks in the shoulder. He yelped, as whisps of silver fire danced along the wound.

"The... the Silver Flame is with me... faith is my armor... righteousness, my sword..." He steadied himself, locking eyes with Tobias. "You would give aid and comfort to the inventors of the warforged, then? Mechanical beings left with no purpose because their creators couldn't... ow... think beyond the war? Or the necromancers of Karnnath and their legions of the undead, pressing people into service beyond the grave? That's what you're talking about. Think carefully. Where does your aid truly go?"

He then lunged once more.

Auriks sword attack (DC 23 Toughness.): 1D20+8 = [12]+8 = 20

Archived