Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [Interlude] Walking a Path Together [Fin]

Dan Hawkins

"I teach my daughter for similar reasons. She is my legacy upon this earth, and I would arm her with all the knowledge I have to give, so that she need not repeat my mistakes, learn from my errors, and grow up happy and healthy, as her mother would have wanted."

He nodded. "Shen wants nothing more for you and your siblings. He's always been that way as far back as I've known him."

"He sought to prepare you all, hoping that it wouldn't be necessary. He can see the future, or at least many of the possibilities the future holds. I often wonder how close to his visions things have actually proceeded."

He sighed. "When Sarah died, I almost sough t him out. The results of that would have been unpleasant. He could have known, could have warned us."

Dan shook his head. "But Shen cannot be everywhere, the future is infinitely mutable, and lashing out blaming him was something that was irrational, fueled by loss and anger. He taught be to be better than that, to be more than my emotions. His teachings helped me through that time."

He nodded. "And of course I still have Sonja." If there was a moment where Dan looked less like the Veteran battle hardened Elite, and simply looked like a loving Father, it was then, as a faint smile curled his lips, his eyes seeming to sparkle in the sun.

"The other children you've rescued, are they allright? I imagine being cooped up on the Primus is rough on them. Still better than a target for Proteus anywhere else."

"We're doing what we can to make it entertaining and comfortable for them. Even started putting together day trips to safe places a few times a week. Never the same place twice and at least three of us on hand in case Aeon discovers us despite our best efforts. If you'd like to have Sonja invited along, I'll give you day or so's warning next outing we plan, Sifu Hawkins," Coraline volunteered with a half-smile, "And yes, they're happy and healthy as we can hope for."

There was a pause as the young metamorph considered something, something troubling by the grim twist of her lips, "Do think Uncle Shen wants us to save him from what he seems to see happening to him at the end of the year?"

"No. He'd have asked for your help if he thought it would make any difference."

"Shen takes great pride in many things, You his children and students most of all I think. But he does not suffer hubris, if he needs aid, he would ask, so long as that aid would make a positive difference."

He nodded. "I appreciate the invite. I would like to go along, at least the first time."

For a heartbeat there was a sad, stubborn look in the young metamorph's abhuman gaze, an 'I'll prove him wrong. We can help him the way he's helped us.' in the way she held herself. Then it passed. Or at least sank from concious thought.

"I'll be sure to invite you then. Families being together is important. How do you want us to continue the lesson, Sifu Hawkins?"

"I believe we've done what we could today. When next we meet like this, we'll continue. I look forward to seeing your progress."

He looked to her. "Now if you have some time, I'd abandon the "Teacher and Student" arrangenment and simply talk as novas, as friends."

He nodded. "I'd like to know more about you, about your siblings. ,and these other children. You're not the first second generation novas I've met, and I don't mean Sonja. I met the first pair in 2007." There was a look of sadness that passed over his features momentarily.

That was something she'd want to ask about later. So early into the Nova Age, the Mother Hunters would be practically new at their jobs.

"Okay," she volunteered, settling into a midair sitting position, legs crossed and a reflective look in her white-on-black eyes, "Uncle started rescuing us, one at a time, about ten years ago. My Sister Marina first. She keeps busy around the Primus and holding up her share of the modeling contract we owe Mrs. DeVries, a good person even if you want to avoid discussing Mother Hunters around her. She has a temper under her smile. Then there's Maia. She's... Impressive. Very present all the time. do anything to protect us, especially from ourselves when we are hellbent on makign bad descions. Warren's next. He's... not always focused on the here and now, in fact, a bit of a scatter brain, but I love him all the same. He's our primary 'ride'."

Coraline chuckled and spread her arms, "I was fourth found, afraid and untrusting and isolated before Uncle Shen took me in after... after what happened to the parents. Mistress of movement and adaptability and, recently, getting attention when I want it. Hopefully a good person and not just a rash one. After me is Alex. She's smart. Second to no one in tech smart even if she needs a little help with people from time to time. You've met her though. Epiphany followed her. The most kind of us, too kind at times. She hasn't been around lately, but she knows we love her and will come back when she's ready. Then there's Butch. I'm actually closest to him, talk to him every night before going to sleep to keep myself human and sane. A healer in both senses of the word."

The young metamorph paused, expression complicated, "The last one Uncle Shen found was Darrik. And he's doing things right now that make me worried for him, long term, but I know he loves us, too, and wouldn't endanger us for anything. That's a faith I hold in all my siblings, Mr. Hawkins, willing to die for them if that was the only option left to save them."

The complicated expression faded, back on firmer emotional ground, "Eric and Zia were the first two we saved. Good kids. Zia's emotionally focused like Pip is, and Eric's always quick to protect her, absorbs energy to hit back twice as hard. Good with art, too. I like him. The next three, two sisters and their friend, we rescued with their mothers. Thorn, the second oldest, speaks for them more often than not when they're togther, a bit of an outrageously honest protecter."

She chuckled into her hand, clearly seeing a little of herself in the younger girl, "Anyway, they're the reason I arranged for our daytrips soon as I got out. No way five winged novas deserve to be trapped away from the sky when there are enough of us around to make things safe."

Dan smiled. "Spoken like a woman with a family to protect."

He nodded. "I've seen work for you, Marina, and Maia, though I've yet to meet either of them. Alexandra intrigues me, because technology is one of my great interests." He looked to her and continued. "Butch, well the easy way to put it, I knew his Father, very well in fact. For a time, he was a member of my team, and one of the people involved in building that report Anna gave to you."

"I've not met the others, Though I admit I would like to. If only to get an idea about what to expect with Sonja. She's been introduced to so much now. So much more than I ever wanted at this point for her."

"Five more Second generation novas, four of them female. I imagine that gets quite hectic. Shen must be in heaven. For a man who teaches serenity, and harmony, he's made his life a tapestry of only vaguely organized chaos."

"The girls' mothers, how are they adapting?"

"I ask, Cora because I don't want to do anything on the excursion, say anything that will agitate anyone. in the future, I may feel more comfortable regarding Sonja's disposition, but I've been attacked too many times to be totally trusting of alot of novas I've not met."

He nodded. "It speaks well of you, and my trust in Shen, that I've let her go at all."

"I realize I can't chaperone her forever, but right now, It has been a proven necessity."

That got Dan a considering look before Cora settled on a respectful nod for his forethought. "They're doing well enough for people who've gone through what they have. Keeping busy helpng their kids with Aunt Serenity when my siblings and I are busy with other things. These last two and half weeks have convinced me that wonderful as children are, I don't want any of my own until long, long after we've won a peace," she confessed, rubbing the back of her head with one hand, "Just be yourself and bond over parental experiences, and I'm sure you'll do fine."

She smiled sidelong, "For what it's worth. I think you're doing better than most Nova parents on the trust issue. Better than my parents did before they were killed anyway. They were good people, kept me healthy and safe, but they made things... harder on us than they needed to. There were better options than hiding from the entire human race as if it were poisonous."

That confession cost Coraline, Dan could see, smile gossamer thin and frail.

"I do the best I can. It's been enough so far, but even I know I have limits."

"I'm glad to see that you're showing restraint on the next generation. Humanity and Proteus are hardly able to deal with the second generation, a third might send them truly into panic mode."

He chuckled. "It's not like I could take any of you in a straight up fight. and in some cases, in dirty one either. I'd much rather have powerful allies dedicated to safeguarding the next generation than not."

He looked out across the sky. "your parents did the same. The very best they thought they could do. Never forget that. I grieve at your loss, and that such a thing is more common than not."

"That is why you're doing what you're doing though, isn't it? To prevent anyone else from enduring it."

Coraline conceded that last point with a renewed smile and nod. Was she really that obvious in trying to fufill the promise she had made Shaman? Yeah, she probably was. Families were important after all.

"It may be a little late for that first precaution. I know a few 2nd generation novas who are already expecting to become parents. The third generation of Novas is already here," she added, chorus sardonically amused.

"Didn't someone teach them what condoms were for?" There was an odd sensation as he said it, as if cosmiclly, there was something horrendously ironic about that statement.

"Well I guess some of you all could be old enough."

He nodded. "That's definitely info you don't want others getting."

At least one of them wasn't in Coraline's opinion, but that was neither here nor there, much as she'd give all the time she could to help care for Darrick's children. They would be her foster nieces and nephews, after all.

"They won't be finding out from me, and, since as far as I can tell no one is listening or looking at me except you, I can only hope they won't find out from you. It was kind of enivitable that some of us would be parents young given how... functional our bodies are. With luck, the mothehrunters won't realize until we're ready for them."

"Not hardly. I wouldn't count on them for waiting. The second they realize the truth cora they will descend on us all, or try to. They may even activate the sattelites."

He shook his head. "Few of us could deal with that thing, at least taking a hit from it."

"Don't even thing of going to take them down now, not unless you're ready to reap the whirlwind right this second."

"We wouldn't know where to hit yet, Mr. Hawkins," her chorus grimly mused, "That's what the team is for, too. Saving lives and families while researching a real final solution to the problem. We won't move against Aeon and Proteus until we're fully ready. Speaking of which... I really should go. Time doesn't stand still even for people like us."

Coraline's expression was sad, wanting to stay, but fully aware of the quantum tick of the universe as it drove ever forward. The young metamorph was on a self-appointed time table, and it dogged her mental footsteps now that they were out of the eternal now of Qi Meng training and into the chatter of everyday business.

"I will, Sifu Hawkins, and I'm looking forward to it as well," Coraline smilingly replied, bowing deeply with one fist planted in the other palm after backing out of his reach in a handful of graceful, dancelike steps, transmuting into light as she brought up her powers. The young metamorph dove backwards into the rock of the island, arcing back into the open air some hundred meters south from the shoreline of the island. A final wave and she blurred out of sight, losing herself to the sheer joy of speed.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived