Aberrant: Dead Rising - The Supers' Burden [Fin]

Dan Hawkins

"Don't kick yourself for being human," came Sarah's voice from behind the duo, the blonde megamorph dressed in a clean IWU t-shirt and pants from her pack and still toweling off her hair, "I got only a fraction of her attention for only a few heartbeats, and I was almost tempted. And I don't even like women that way. People with that kind of power who use it like she did in there... They frighten me more than anything. What's to keep them from thinking of people as things instead as of people after a while?"

"And that's where most social problems come from when you look at the roots of it," she finishes, voice mufffled as she toweled off her bangs, "But what's on the menu?"

Dan looked at her. "Biscuits right now. Later I can cook a real meal."

He nodded to the chair. Alicia nodded. "Well I'm going to head out. I'll see you both later then."

Before anymore could be said, the two supers were left alone.

Dan sighed. "Perhaps Sarah, but I should have known better."

"No one knows better until they get hit with something that they chould have known better about," answered Sarah with the smile of someone who should have known better a few times herself and was completely open about that fact.

She sat down in the chair and turned the smile down a few amps, adding more seriously, "But you have my sympathies and a quietly attentive listener if you need and want one. And a few others too, it seems."

The megamorph jerked a thumb in the direction of their departed hostess, "She seems nice. How'd you meet up with her if you don't mind my asking?"

"We went to Highschool together."

He smiled. "She went to College, I went into the Marines. She married my second in command and best friend. He was on leave when the Virus hit. When the coms went down, I lost track, and only recently found her at Paradise."

The last word contained all the loathing he could muster. "I found her in a Solitary Cell, barely conscious. I won't spoil your appetite with the rest."

A very dark look clouded his features. "She came here and threw herself into helping with the administration of this place, which is good, but it pains me to know I failed to keep her safe."

He sighs. "She was very unhappy with how things were. At least now, maybe she'll be a little more at ease. I think Violet unnerved most everyone at times, simply by how she could make them question themselves."

Sarah nodded seriously but couldn't quite keep the smile out of her voice, "You did better than most to find her at all. God knows I haven't been lucky or good enough to save anyone I knew from before. Even when I had the chances to and all the physical power I needed, I was too messed up in the head to do it right. Was for a long time."

She sighed on that last note and finished gamely, "But getting up after we've been knocked down is the most imporant skill we have in this world, right? Nothing to fear but fear itself?"

"No, Sarah, there's plenty more to fear." He shook his head. "There's so little we don't understand about the Virus, even about others like us."

He looked at the room. "I've seen alot in my travels from the East Coast, and few things truly scare me, but I do worry alot about things."

"Alicia and Lorraine, they've been the only two I've directly saved. I failed every other time."

He smiled. "That doesn't mean I won't stop trying though."

"Sounds like someone should be taking a look into things beyond mere survival then. Perhaps someone with a seemingly stable base of operations protected by the very best humanity has to offer?" replied the megamorph with a question that was part challenge and part inviatation.

Archived