Around the Web on January 28th

RPG Post

Around the Web on January 28th

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

If you haven't seen it, the short film Lazy Teenage Superheroes is a fun 13 minute movie, supposedly made for $300.00. My coworkers and I have discussed what making a film for $300 means, since the editing computer and software had to cost more than that, originally even if they were a gift and pirated respectively. The movie itself features some interesting ideas, cheesy/passable effects and acting a world above, say, The Room. Which may be damning with faint praise.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

X Tree

The iconic, X-Men Family tree is cool but I have to admit to not recognizing all the heads. I haven't read X-Men in a while, I think I may have stopped when Dark Phoenix was Jean Grey and she died.

[end_news_blurb]

Fantastic Death

Speaking of dead heroes, one of the Fantastic Four died on Tuesday.

Click to reveal..
It's not that a death scene can't be well written, but when every bit of past writing that killed a major character has been retconned, ignored or explained away, it's hard to get invested in a character's death. I like the Human Torch, but who really believes he will stay dead?

3D Movies

Roger Ebert wants 3D to die. And he will use every argument from darker screens to human evolution to get his way. At Slate, Daniel Engber has up some counter arguments and explains why Ebert is wrong. The thing is, I'm not a big fan of 3D. Not poorly done post conversion or well-done filmed-that-way ones either. I wear glasses, the other glasses are annoying, the films are darker and 3D adds absolutely nothing to the experience for me right now but cost. Maybe later it will be great. Maybe the Nintendo 3DS will show the way with glassesless 3D, but for right now, give me bright films with no headache and without another accessory.

Fallout: Nuka Break

Fallout: Nuka Break is a short fan film, humorous and well-done. Even the disclaimer at the beginning feels like the Fallout game.

">

Harry Potter and Yo Mamma

For Harry Potter fans, here's a FaceBook snaps conversation, that may or may not be real, but it amused me.

Novus Open

Drivethrurpg has up a new game, in both free and $5.00 preview versions, called Novus Open. I know the market is flooded with Fantasy RPG's but the mechanics are fast on this game and it seems well thought out so far.

battlelords.jpgBattlelords of the Twenty-Third Century

Also up at the drivethru is Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century. It's been a while since I have played an SF/space opera RPG and this one looks fun. Space bugs and … :

“Battlelords is a sci-fi roleplaying game that mixes a bureaucratic Alliance and manipulative mega-corporations with invading Arachnids, disruptive rebels, and chaotic anarchists. Players select one of twelve alien races to play a mercenary working for one of the powerful mega-corporations. Choice from over 100 distinct skills, 400 detailed pieces of equipment, and move than 250 powers. You can even spice up your character with the Fickle Finger of Fate or I Was Just Growing Up tables.

Battlelords uses percentile dice and a skill-based system to provide quick and deadly combat resolution, getting you roleplaying again.

Each alien race comes with lots of rich background material: government, culture, quirks, racial history, and lots more - right down to their favorite food or pet. And what is life like in the 23rd century? We have taken an entire chapter to provide all those details.

We want you to get started quickly so we have included a campaign setting, a mini-adventure, and PC archetypes. You can jump in with both feet and start unleashing your imagination right away. The Universe is infinite, and with Battlelords, so are your gaming possibilities.”

Archived