[Exalted] Above the Flame

Heaven's Reach ST

Karren nodded an 'of course' at Zed's request to hang onto most of his winnings, swirling her bottle of beer in one hand to hear the sound of it sloshing around, only to lose much of her good cheer as the Sidereal Marshal stroad into the bar and sat down without so much as a 'please'.

The Lunar *hated* most officers with a reflexive passion despite, or perhaps because, she was technically serving as one. The whole concept rubbed her the wrong way, deep in her stubborn, unconvincable heart of hearts.

"Yeah. Feel free to sit down, thanks for asking, Iris," responded the red-headed Lunar with just the finest trace of growl in her voice, "But beyond that, my Dan is the one one you should be handing this suggestion to. He hires new recruits; I just make sure they aren't more dangerous on the crew than off it. Still, if you can pesuade Mr. Zed to apply before we launch and Dan approves, sure. I'll give anyone a fair shot if they want to be there."

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"You misunderstand, this is not an order or a requirement, this is a request, of all involved, be aware that it may end up a matter of life and death, for all present, and every member of your crew... I have said what I will say, it is now up to you to make of it what you desire." With that, she stood up and walked away, the moment anyone blinked, the sidereal was gone, leaving the folks behind to decide what to do with the info, and to decide what it might mean.

Zed could only stop and stare.

"Wait, what? What the hell just happened?"

He blinked and looked down at his glass, then back to Karren. After a second, a broad smile spread across his face.

"I get it. This is your revenge. You put something in my drink that made me think that some chick just appeared out of nowhere and proclaimed that unless I work off my debt to society, some Bad Stuff will happen."

He raised his glass in salute.

"Good one."

Without waiting for a response, he downed the rest of the drink and shook his head, trying to prevent all the alcohol from dulling his senses too much more.

"You... you did put something in my drink, right? Cuz, uh..."

Slowly, the clouds started to part from his brain. Ship. Crew. Away.

"You know... I could use a lift that will get me a few ports of call closer to Aden III."

"Noooo, that's the Star-chosen's general behavior as a rule, even when they aren't Marshal Officers. Everyone here will be lucky to remember what she looked like in a week if that's what she is. Still, now I want an excuse *why* I don't remember Iris's face come tommorow," she replied with a touch of genuine sympathy for the man, "We're all going to need something stronger before the night is out. Join us, Tyran! Might as well get your round of drinks in now."

She laughed to herself before adding more softly, "As for you, Mr. Zed. Put in an application to Captain Dan Hawkins of the Voidswimmer. If you impress him, I'll try to go no harder on you than these brave new recruits with me. Might even put in a good word if you impress me but don't count on it."

"And how would I go about impressing you? I could run around screaming and you could chase me and I'll consider it a win if it takes you more than four seconds to catch me and crush my skull."

He signaled for a refill.

"Or we could just toss 'em back and see who passes out first. And no essence-use, that's cheating."

The two terrestrial exalted standing behind Zed didn't move when the sidereal made her appearance, though both of them looked at her with a bit of surprise. When she left as quickly as she appeared, Tyran sighed. "Damn sidereals, appearing from nowhere then vanishing again, then giving you only a bit of the information they have... not all of them are so easily forgotten, but I wouldn't be surprised if non of us can remember her name or exact appearance by tomorrow."

Tyran turned his gaze to Zed and Karren, then he sighed, it was a long one and then he spoke up, there was both reluctance and determination in his voice as he did. "Cousin, I have to trust that she was speaking at least part of the truth, I can not allow the possibility she was speaking the truth to a matter of chance. Lady, I am calling in the favor your owing me, I hadn't intended too just yet, but I feel that I must, please take this man into your crew if at all possible.."

After directing his attention to Karren a moment, he then turned back to Zed. "I'm trusting you to be a loyal crew member, cousin.. and while I don' t like making threats, but prove to be otherwise, and assuming the daughter of Luna doesn't do something about it before I do, break my trust and I will come for you.. and you won't like that."

He turned to Scarlet and made a gesture, and she smiled, then stepped forward to kiss Sophia on the lips, then turned to follow Tyran as he departed, leaving Zed, Karren and Sophia to their own business, as Althea looked curiously in the direction the other sidereal had departed.

NOTE: In this setting, not all sidereal are forgotten so easily, consider it before the breaking of the Mask... however, Sidereals can attune a artifact effect of the Mask collage to insure the same affect.. and Iris has.

On another note, I had intended to write more for folks in other parts of this thread.. but I believe I will start a new thread for that.

Tyran turned his gaze to Zed and Karren, then he sighed, it was a long one and then he spoke up, there was both reluctance and determination in his voice as he did. "Cousin, I have to trust that she was speaking at least part of the truth, I can not allow the possibility she was speaking the truth to a matter of chance. Lady, I am calling in the favor your owing me, I hadn't intended too just yet, but I feel that I must, please take this man into your crew if at all possible.."

After directing his attention to Karren a moment, he then turned back to Zed. "I'm trusting you to be a loyal crew member, cousin.. and while I don' t like making threats, but prove to be otherwise, and assuming the daughter of Luna doesn't do something about it before I do, break my trust and I will come for you.. and you won't like that."

"Well. This night got very interesting, very quickly."

He turned to Scarlet and made a gesture, and she smiled, then stepped forward to kiss Sophia on the lips

...very interesting, wouldn't you say Zed? Yes, Other Zed, yes I would.

, then turned to follow Tyran as he departed, leaving Zed, Karren and Sophia to their own business, as Althea looked curiously in the direction the other sidereal had departed.

With a bemused sigh, the ugly lump of dragon-blood turned his gaze back to Karren.

"So. Crew or not, looks like I need a lift off this rock like right now. I suppose that if I tell you I have unpaid parking tickets and a shoplifting court appearance on Aden III in a month, you'd be obliged to deliver me, Marshal Karren?"

Karren held up a free hand and killed what was left of her beer in one pull, marking points on her fingers, swallowing it down waith a grunt, "First, I'm not a Marshal, I just work for one, and they don't even worry about parking tickets. Second, since Tyran called in my debt to him, lamely I might add, you're coming along if we have to classify you as Livestock on the manifest. Try and impress Dan so we don't have to do that, okay? Third... Third..? Let's just drink until one of us passes out."

"Althea, please follow Iris if you can. I'd like to know more if you can find it," she added sidelong, a trusting smile on her lips at assigning the mission, "And keep bringing her up if I forget."

"Livestock? Huh. That's a new one. Would you tag me for release back into the wild to study the migration patterns of the rare Aden III Northern Continent Doughboy?"

With another bemused sigh, he signals for another beer.

"You know, back on Aden III, there's a place called Auspicious Flip of the Coin that might make a nice shore leave location for your hard working crew. I may or may not know the owner. Just sayin'."

Althea stood up and after a few short steps in the direction of the other sidereal paused a moment, then took a turn to the right and headed out of the bar, out of sight within another moment or two, apparently following Karren's instructions. She would be back before the group departed from bar, but she would be gone for a bit.. still things winding down, soon enough the group got to partying a bit, and they had to carry a couple of the shore party back to the ship.

END OF THREAD

XP BONUS: +4 to all participants.

Archived