OOC: Set after Rhiannon joins K.I.S but before 'City of Thieves.' This is definitely a more adult piece than the rest of it, but it's another thing I intend to bring into Rhiannon's playing.

-------------------------------------------------

The fan opened delicately like a flower blooming, the thin green silk shining in the light except for where an elaborate pattern of tiny white flowers and mint-green leaves had been painted. Sandalwood formed the slats and a scarlet tassel hung from the handle, swaying with each movement the holder made.

Raised demurely to the face, only a pair of large green eyes could be seen as it was fluttered delicately by a slender, snow-white hand. The fan was then lowered, revealing a straight nose and full mouth, dimpled cheeks and a cleft chin. Rose was carefully painted on the lips and across the cheeks while kohl artfully darkened curving eyebrows. Long brown hair was swept up into a bun and fastened with a flower-carved jade comb, the only piece of jewelry that was worn.

The fan was brought to the side of the woman who carried it and closed. She was clad in a short-sleeved, side-slit dress of forest-green silk brocade, tiny white flowers and mint-green leaves woven into its fabric and the hem, mandarin collar and sleeves piped with brilliant scarlet. The garment revealed much flesh, from the smooth white arms to the slim legs to the narrow feet enclosed in slippers of a matching brocade.

She brought the fan up again and slowly pirouetted, opening the fan with a snap at about eye-level. She lunged forward with her arm extended, closed the fan again and turned to face where she had been, bringing the fan to her breast.

"Damn, I wish Li Mei were here to remind me of the next step," she grumbled in a magnificent contralto voice, placing the fan on her bureau. She doffed the silks and the comb, allowing her brown hair to tumble to the waist, then she sat on her narrow bed, naked as the day she was born and began to comb out her hair.

Though of only medium height (her father had bequeathed her height to counter the Welsh shortness), Rhiannon Lewis was perfectly proportioned, with a narrow waist and firm curves. The Tai Chi that Li Mei had taught her aided in her balance, while the martial arts that Anthony King insist she learn kept her well-toned. As she combed out slithering locks of hair over her breasts and lap, she idly wondered if she could turn the tricks she'd picked up from the Chinese to her advantage.

I wonder if I could learn to use fans in combat? she thought with a sudden flash of inspiration. The Japanese had done it, and some of the fan-dancing techniques would certainly help.

She arose and wrapped herself in a pale violet cotton brocade robe embroidered with plum blossoms. These days, only her work clothing and the dresses ordered by Anthony King were Western-style. Li Mei and her people had made more of an impression on Rhiannon than she had first realised.

And if she embraced the exotic, it could one day be turned to her advantage...

Archived