Aberrant RPG - Ancient Aberrant

metaphysician

Session 108 – "Hermes rejoins the group, and the party finds the cave in the Grendel’s territory. Immediately thereafter, the Grendel finds them. Conversation occurs, insults and threats are traded, but it is confirmed that the Grendel in question is the one who delivered Artemis to her ‘home.’ Afterwards, Alaric is returned to Camlann, and the rest return to Thera."

[attachmentid=257]

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Session 109 – "The party sets out with Zhang Fei and White Crane, gating to the northern steppes outside the borders of the Jade Empire. After some days of traveling, the party runs across a gathering of the horsemen of the plains. White Crane confronts the gathering with news of her return, and how attacking the empire now would be bad. In turn, the horseman Jebe joins the group in attempt to gain back a debt owed to his uncle. On approaching the Wall, the party discovers that it has been maddened, and passage is impossible. A new plan is assembled, and the party gates outside Mithras’ city. . ."

[attachmentid=258]

Session 111 – "The party arrives at a fishing village on the outskirts of the jungle. A river boat is acquired while Artemis heals some locals. The group discusses the nature of the jungle, and philosophy in general, as they progress up the river. Eventually, they beach the boat and continue on foot, arriving at the temple home of the Eastern Master. Serekh meets him alone, and returns with injuries and permission for the group to continue. Later, Hermes, Artemis, and Quetzlcoatl are separated from the party by the jungle’s bizarre nature, at the same time that a warband of amazons comes looking for Zhang Fei. Those remaining make short work of the amazons, and then Zhang Fei sets off the giant August Personage hologram as a beacon for those lost."

[attachmentid=260]

Session 112 – "On noticing the beacon, the lost party members converge on its location. While so doing, Quetzlcoatl encounters. . . himself, or at least an individual who seemed to be his future self. While not revealing future secrets, this person did give Quetzlcoatl encouragement, and a bit of revelation about his own nature. Meanwhile, Artemis enters a vision of the final battle between Telemachus and Woden. Hadrian and the Winter King are also present, and Artemis speaks with them both. In the end, Telemachus slays Woden, and enters into some kind of cocoon, which the other Disciples free him from. He emerges transformed, to expel his ‘dark side’ into the nearby Loki, and rally the troops to march on Thera."

[attachmentid=261]

Session 113 – "Hermes, while approaching the beacon, finds himself similarly in a vision, specifically, on the moon. Therein he overhears a conversion between David Dragos and an unknown individual, and catches sight of a battle just before finding himself back in the jungle. Each vision or encounter complete, the three make their way back to the rest of the part, speaking of their visions to varying extents. Taking measures to reduce the likelihood of separation, the party continues, and eventually escapes the jungle. The party proceeds stealthily through the interior ( learning from White Crane of the purpose the August Personage puts the south towards ), until they approach a great fortress in the west. Shortly thereafter, they are confronted by the General of the West, a dozen Chosen, and an army of cavalry, who attack on sighting Zhang Fei."

[attachmentid=262]

Session 114 – "The battle opens. Zhang Fei is knocked miles away from the field, and Hermes is knocked out by two lightning women. Jebe, in turn, nearly holds the enemy general hostage, and leaves him with an arrow in eye and leg. Before much longer, White Crane declares surrender, in order to prevent further death. The party is taken ‘prisoner’ back to the fortress, wherein they learn the general is sympathetic to White Crane, but that matters are complicated: the August Personage is dead. Some plans are discussed and information trade, and the party is left to rest."

[attachmentid=263]

Session 115 – "Quetzlcoatl and Hermes attempt to scan the site where the August Personage was assassinated. Various efforts fail to turn up useful information. However, the last such attempt catapults the entire assembled group into a mysterious theater, manned and hosted in every role by. . . the Winter King. The group, and many assembled others who cannot be properly identified, thus begin watching a musical play. Act One is a tale of romantic complications between Cuchulain, Inanna, and Shango, resolved by the words of Amon. Act Two is a song by Ondine, as she laments her tragic, unreturned love of Telemachus. Act Three shows the Champion of Ra, having foreseen coming events, crying out to Ra to explain the meaning of his suffering and sacrifice. An intermission follows."

[attachmentid=264]

You know, not that I think anyone's really reading or downloading but me, but it's been nice to have the sessions in easy to read format. I feel like I should be doing director's commentaries or something.

I had a great deal of fun with Ancient Aberrant, The Musical! to note.

Also with Alaric's entrance to Mithras' party.

You know, not that I think anyone's really reading or downloading but me, but it's been nice to have the sessions in easy to read format. I feel like I should be doing director's commentaries or something.

I had a great deal of fun with Ancient Aberrant, The Musical! to note.

Also with Alaric's entrance to Mithras' party.

Heh, the cast commentaries would be amusing as well. Though I'm half afraid of the director's cut would reveal.

Though I would still love to see this done as an epic sweeping anime series even more so now. But Hermes needs a girlfriend. :P

Session 116 – "The intermission ends, after a barely averted fight between Jebe and Quetzlcoatl. Act Four has David Dragos beseeching unheard to his friend Michael Donighal to hold back from his plan of ‘mass global empowerment,’ and to remember that he’s only human. Act Five reveals Jon Riothamus rallying the heroes of his era for a last heroic march on the villains who would erase heroism from the world. Act Six reveals a surprisingly similar gathering many years later, as heroes and villains alike prepare themselves for what the next day has in store, particularly Justinian. Act Seven shows a different Justinian, one who almost despairs at his pain, and yet dons a mask to cover his grief before all and sundry who he must persuade. An intermission follows."

[attachmentid=265]

Just to correct, there was no intermission at the end, we just ended the session there is all. And wow, you've completely updated to the most recent session run. Impressive.

Also, you could interview me now, but a lot of questions would potentially be avoided in terms of answers :P

Session 117 – "The last act begins. Michael Donighal, having achieved his potential, stands in a ruin, while various followers of his beg him to stay, to try again what it was he tried. In disappointment, he leaves nonetheless, never to return. Following this is an epilogue, where the Winter King and David Dragos speak a bit, leading to the Winter King telling David what he apparently already knew: that he had to make his own son hate him, for Justinian’s good. This leads into closing scene, with all the actors gathered in a chorus, singing “the show must go on” in voices ranging from defiance to despair. At that, the play ends. The party gathers and leaves, picking up a few souvenirs on the way out, and finds themselves back at the fortress. Discussion, and drinking, commences."

[attachmentid=266]

• 2 weeks later...

Session 118 – "The group rests and recovers from the prior ordeal, and discusses, among other things, the other potential claimants of the throne. The Nameless General returns, to inform everyone that he has thrown his army behind White Crane. Zhang Fei plots regathering an old group of his comrades for the purpose of rescuing the army’s families from their hostage status, a plan that draws support from the party. Then, everyone heads up and listens to White Crane speak before the assembled army."

[attachmentid=268]

( thought we were gone, eh? ::tongue )

I just want to say that I fought the concept behind this game to be extremely intriguing and interesting. The potential in what such a game can achieve is huge and so very cool. Glad that you posted it. :)

Thanks. Feel free to check out the potential as it has been actualized. Every single session to date is currently on this thread.

Talk about epic presentations! I like the historical setting and future extrapolations, a lot of time and thought went into this. This campaign holds together better than most when presented with godlike powers. Similar games I've run often collapse as group unity falters amid individual agendas (not bad agendas, just divergent). The urge to really explore the outer limits of your novadom is also a problem, a la Mage, the WW game. When you can do great things, you want to do great things, which can be unbalancing. As a GM, I try to guide story flow, not micromange it. I like what your group has done here and may download it. If not, it certainly makes for a good read!

Talk about epic presentations! I like the historical setting and future extrapolations, a lot of time and thought went into this. This campaign holds together better than most when presented with godlike powers. Similar games I've run often collapse as group unity falters amid individual agendas (not bad agendas, just divergent). The urge to really explore the outer limits of your novadom is also a problem, a la Mage, the WW game. When you can do great things, you want to do great things, which can be unbalancing. As a GM, I try to guide story flow, not micromange it. I like what your group has done here and may download it. If not, it certainly makes for a good read!

I'm extremely flattered by posts like these, though I remain curious what someone's responses will be if they ever make it through all the session files posted..

I could always make a "players stay out!" director's commentary sort of thread for the curious if anyone does.

I do get the feeling that next week's Battlestar Galactica is so going to ruin my planned use of All Along the Watchtower though.

I'm extremely flattered by posts like these, though I remain curious what someone's responses will be if they ever make it through all the session files posted..

I could always make a "players stay out!" director's commentary sort of thread for the curious if anyone does.

I do get the feeling that next week's Battlestar Galactica is so going to ruin my planned use of All Along the Watchtower though.

Ah, so the mysterious ST has finally shown himself. :)

I would love a director's comentary site. There is so much that I would like to know about the setting that only the ST would know. Things like hidden backstory and setting information, plot points, hidden geography, etc. It would be extremely interesting to finally get a to see the indepth center of this campign universe.

So count me in for requesting that "players stay out" director's comentary.

Herul

Actually, a whole lot of that kind of stuff is revealed in the transcripts. The setting summary document only really covers maybe 10% of the known setting info, even from the player-characters perspective.

Oh, but I don't have the time to read 100 or so episode transcripts. :)

Oh, but I don't have the time to read 100 or so episode transcripts. :)

More seriously, they're pretty fast reads. One thing with chats, they move at a very different pace then tabletop.

And Pendaren, that would be cool. Even if I don't get to see it. :P

Session 119 – "After the speech, the group, Serekh, Zhang Fei, White Crane, and the Nameless General gather to strategize. Eventually, they split in three directions. Serekh heads to the imperial capital, to protect the child prince from those who will seek to kill him. White Crane and Nameless prepare to lead the Western Army in a slow push towards the city of Chengdu, as a preliminary move. Meanwhile, the party goes with Zhang Fei to gather his old comrades, the Black Tiger Banner, and evacuate the Western Army’s families from the central province. The first individual visited is Guan Yu, who attacks the party in a drunken haze before inviting them in. He proves resistant to all efforts to rouse him from his misery, and when Jebe attempts to insult and shock him out of such, Gwan Yu attacks a second time, much more seriously. The party flees and reorganizes, to head to the next person on the list: Zhuge Liang."

[attachmentid=284]

Session 118 ( Hermes and Artemis ) – "After the speech, in a free moment, Artemis asks Hermes to meet her outside to talk. The two speak about many things, ultimately turning towards the vision Artemis received, of Telemachus and Woden, and her decision in response to it."

This one is slightly out of order, but the numbering is the proper placement chronologically.

[attachmentid=285]

• 2 weeks later...

Session 120 – "The party arrives at Zhuge Liang’s location to find a school present, with Zhuge its main teacher. After some minor antics, the party and Zhuge meet and talk, in a much more intelligent and fruitful manner than with Gwan Yu. The attempt to persuade him to come out of retirement is interrupted by the arrival of an army, acting in the name if Li Nizhen. Zhang Fei, Zhuge Liang, and the party prepare to join battle. . ."

[attachmentid=288]

• 4 weeks later...

Session 121 – "The party joins the battles. While Zhang Fei and Zhuge Liang shield the school, Artemis fights with a bear-shifter, Hermes disarms half the army, Quetzlcoatl is seduced into returning to his homeland, and Jebe shows up and kills two Chosen with arrows. Unfortunately, Hermes is beaten into unconsciousness by an enemy speedster, and taken hostage. The hostage situation tenses, as a returned Quetzlcoatl freezes Hermes in time to prevent his death, while the enemy commander leverages the wellbeing of the students to his advantage. . ."

Note: After this session, we are going on hiatus for a while. The game is becoming a bit too stressful for all involved. Which means you all have time to catch up reading the entire game record. ::laugh

[attachmentid=289]

• 2 months later...

Session 122 - "After treating their wounds from the unsuccessful effort to save Zhuge Liang, the party and Zhang Fei continue onward. A successful negotiation with a horse leads to finding and successfully recruiting Ma Chao, while a pleasant ( for the party ) visit to a teahouse brings Huang Zhong into the fold."

Note: Yep, we're back. ::wink

[attachmentid=313]

Session 123 – "While leaving the town where they recruited Huang Zhong, the party is confronted by Huang Yuan, the man’s son. After some argument, he is convinced to join White Crane’s army, rather than following along with the party personally. The party then tries to divine the lock to which Zhuge Liang’s key fits, with Quetzlcoatl attempting to do so via pretercognition. Due to some extremely unfortunate telepathic intervention, this fails catastrophically, sending Hermes, Artemis, Quetzcoatl, and Ma Chao falling into the past. There they find a naked, amnesiac Aral, and the encampment of Liu Bei. Ma Chao, attempting to prevent his death, sends a message to the camp, and the party meets with the Zhuge Liang of this time period, who refuses in Bei’s name help from out of time ( though he does tell the party where the key works )."

Session 124 – "After some discussion, and scrying of Heliopolis, the party decides to visit the Oracle of Samothrace. After receiving, among other things, some unsettling answers regarding Aral’s current state, they then set off to visit the Winter King and see if he can pass along a message. While amenable to a chat, the Winter King cannot deliver a message in and of himself, and instead offers to take them along while he works, to deliver a message to one who could perceive them. After consideration, the group decides to try navigating the southern jungle instead."

[attachmentid=330]

Session 125 – "The party arrives outside the southern jungle, and after some painful negotiation, Artemis persuades the jungle to send everyone home. Travelling through the jungle, the party eventually finds itself present in the distant future, witnessing a party held by Justinian Dragos early in his life. After encountering multiple people, and being spotted by a young Darius, the group accepts his cautious offer of help. Things go horribly wrong when Hermes says the wrong thing, and Darius learns about his own future. After much passionate pleading and argument and misery, all witnessed by the Oracle of Time, Darius sends everyone back home, and then has his memory erased by Quetzlcoatl."

[attachmentid=331]

Session 126 – "After some brief recovery, the party and Huang Zhong travels to the mountains, and locates the entrance to Zhuge Liang’s vault. After navigating the security precautions, the group finds a cavernous room filled with automatons and gliders, all with preparations to deploy them. Many hours and one tea session later, the automata are sent to White Crane, and the party ponders the rescue attempt. At the suggestion of Serekh, a diversion plan is formed. . ."

[attachmentid=338]

• 2 weeks later...

Session 127 – "Quetzlcoatl attempts telepathic contact with Zhuge Liang, both finding his location and delivering the misinformation to Li Nizhen. Shortly thereafter, the party and Huang Zhong gate in, killing the telepaths. Hermes keeps the cube prison from collapsing, and the whole group is engaged by ninjas, who they quickly slay in spite of initial massive barrage attacks. Zhuge Liang is freed, and the party exits via gate, and Zhuge tosses a vial of earth devouring acid behind as a parting gift."

[attachmentid=339]

Session 128 – "After Aral is returned to Thera due to some kind of mental side effect, the party rests, gathers information, and meets up with Zhang Fei. After some planning, Hermes, Artemis, Quetzlcoatl, and Huang Zhong set about evacuating the central province families, a task of many months. Part way through, Hermes and Artemis have a discussion of philosophy."

[attachmentid=340]

• 2 weeks later...

Session 129 – "Racing against the clock, the party nonetheless succeeds in evacuating the central province before the big clash of armies. Returning to the western fortress, they briefly await an update on the overall situation. Following that, everyone heads to Chengdu, the temporary ‘capital’ of White Crane’s territory, to plan out their next move. In order to properly fit themselves for the diplomatic events to come, they all subject themselves to the best tailor in the city, and wackiness ensues."

[attachmentid=341]

Session 130 – "The party, somewhat restrained by their new outfits, takes a leisurely walk around the city of Chengdu. Later, while Hermes is assembling a workshop, Artemis meets Red Laughter, a kindred spirit fallen to despair. The next day, the party is confronted by Jin Tao once again, just prior to the official celebration. . ."

[attachmentid=342]

Archived