Wacky wacky dice gods

BlueNinja

As I mentioned in my Trans-D OOC thread, I had the misfortune to lose all of my d10s, and so as a christmas present, my mom got me some more. (Only 5, not 16 like I'd lost, and she got me another d20. ::brick ) So today was my first chance to use them playing Rifts.

The d20 gave me a natural 20 and a 17 the two times I rolled.

The d10s gave me four rolls under 10%, and not a single roll over 50%.

So these dice rock! ::laugh

In a game that I was in a few weeks ago, we were playing Warhammer Fantasy roleplay. In the first session where we were all meeting in a village inn (ah... the classics) we were not doing very much in the way of interacting so the GM decided to bring in a few thugs to liven things up. As the combat character I was well in the thick of it when the Halfling Hedge-wizard decided to start throwing bottles of liquor all over the bar and used his only decent spell (the ability to create a single small flame) to set light to the place. I was clear of the fire but one of the other characters got doused and set on fire (technically one of the party, but since we hadn't actually met yet...). All he had to do was to make an Agility roll to get the burning robes off and he'd by fine. All he needed to do was roll 65 or higher on a d100 (66% chance of success).... .... ....

... he rolled a 66

... next turn he rolled 77

... next time he rolled 88

... next turn he rolled 99... and was by this point nearly dead... killed by the Halfling pyromaniac future-comrade...

In other action, I swung my sword at the leader of the thugs, who was supposed to be a major NPC for the rest of the campaign and was seriously out of our class in terms of character level. I managed to hit him with my claymore, then rolled for damage (which should have been a flesh wound at best). I rolled a natural 10 (which gives a re-roll) and then rolled another 10, then another 10, then another 10, then another 10 then a 5. On the amusing critical wound table, this actually sliced him in half!!!

Al this happened within about 10 minutes and just shows how fickle Lady Luck, Mistress of the Dice, can be, and how quickly an adventure can be derailed by Players and Dice!!!

JC

We had a Deadlands single shot adventure where a low level evil creature shows up... and we all have to make a fear check for what happens to us. In Deadlands rolling the max on a die means you keep that result and add to it a reroll (not a good thing on a fear check). On a six sided die he got way over 30, indicating a fatal heart attack. So thinking quickly, the team healer stepped in to heal him... and also got an insanely over the top bad result which the chart said meant he did heal anything but managed to duplicate the injury on himself.

The ST, seeing how this was our first encounter and if he kept the result he'd need to have both of them bring in new characters (as a one shot these were already new characters), desided to chuck the results.

Personally, I give the "bad" dice to players and I keep the "good" dice. I can't let things be easy.

Plus, there's this magical energy field that affects dice when they're rolled behind a GM's screen. This magical aura lets the number rolled be different than the number the GM says. For example, the GM is rolling damage from a dragon's attack, and rolls 14, but says 18.

It's Gamemaster magic...best not to question it.

Personally, I give the "bad" dice to players and I keep the "good" dice. I can't let things be easy.

Plus, there's this magical energy field that affects dice when they're rolled behind a GM's screen. This magical aura lets the number rolled be different than the number the GM says. For example, the GM is rolling damage from a dragon's attack, and rolls 14, but says 18.

It's Gamemaster magic...best not to question it.

No offense Blue, but I personally hate that.

The game-mistress has EVERY advantage as it is. If she wants to, she can create do anything, that includes tossing a million dragons into the campaign, and if a player-character gets a break, I would personally hate the game-mistress who takes that away from said player on the basis of "it adds to little excitement to the battle". A tough battle does not add excitement, a good GM and involved players does.

For reference, the most exciting combat I have ever been in, where one with a couple of thugs against a coterie of vampires (the players). The thugs did not stand a chance, however, they where an inconvenience since we where on our way to a council meeting with the primogen and it was important that we where not late. That combat was not hard, but it was very intense and very exciting since it actually meant something for us as players (we had invested a lot of time, resources and trust in it) and because the GM had created a good mood.

Rant done :-)

Archived