[OpNet] A Question Of Humanity

Doutor da Reducao

I've taken time to read those off-topic discourses on fundamental humanity or the lack of same cluttering the thread of senhor Prodigy and noticed something. The most interesting questions to me are those which are never addressed.

Senhora Apép and senhor Chance both asked why those of a pro-human stance so greatly desire the answer to validate their beliefs. Elsewhere it is asked of those claiming the contrary why it is an important or relevant question. Yet none wish to answer these preferring instead to engage in their endless dance of "I am right" versus "No, I am right."

Here I give you opportunity to make your point. For myself I find the argument of sensory ability and genetic disposition sadly lacking. Likewise arguments of human mythology somehow being relevant made relevant to the issue, or possessing the talent for consciously shutting down the node (called dorming) strike me as absurdly flawed logic. Still if it is the best you can do then to you I give this platform as an opportunity to hone your finest argument.

There is a price for the priviledge however. One which all of those engaging in the argument have avoided paying in the past. Each discourse or diatribe, however intelligent or ridiculous they may seem to me, must start with one simple answer. Why is this important to YOU.

For those whom have no vested interest there is no reason to post here. I would not waste your time either, so feel free to repost your off topic arguments from senhor Prodigy's thread as a means of conserving your valuable energies.

The question is important to me because I don't think there's gonna be a philosophy debate resolving the issue. While I personally don't care whether (for instance) Holland's answer is that he's human but Ashnod's is that she is not, I still want to know which way they're leaning. That tells me who is going to come down on which side when crunch time starts. And how strident they are in their arguments gives me a ball park estimation of how much time I have left to prepare.

I don't argue my position to convince people any more. It's to learn what they think and clarify my own thoughts. Occassionally I come across something in someone argument, either in agreement with me or not, that forces me to re-think my perspective. Twice now I've almost decided that the pro-humans were right but each time their arguments have failed in the acid test of life.

I sort of stayed out of this debate for one reason. Debates on Plilosophy, Religon, and Nova/Human relations are almost guaranteed to turn into flame wars.

But, I have to weigh in with my two yen on this. 1: Even though I look human, and have some of their traits, I no more consider myself human, than a human considers themself an ape. I'm just another breed. 2: That don't make me any better than anyone else. You see, there is an unwritten rule among sentient beings: At the very least, try to get along. It beats mass extinction. Why Novas havent thought about their progenitor race in that fashion has escaped me.

A respectable statement of your position, senhora Sakura. Now there is the small matter of the price to be paid. wink

Why is this important to you? For some it is a wish to be vindicated. Others feel isolated from baselines by choices or ability therefore wish for a place among equals - a new society. Still more might want to use this as an opportunity to create a golden age without the flaws they see in a baseline world.

Among all possible reasons where lies the heart of your desires?

To be honest I don't care if I'm human or not. I don't spend my time wondering if I'm human or not. It's a total non-issue to me.

What is important is that this whole debate shows up a major flaw in both baselines and novas. We're centred on ourselves.

In fact this arguement downright scares me because of the inherent suggestion that if novas and baselines are two seperate species that somehow absolves us of respecting each other as conscious individuals. Yes I know not everyone who cares about this issue say that and i'm not suggesting that they think that. But some groups within the Teragen do and among Baselines the Michaelites and others of their ilk do.

Ok I'll stop babbling.

Twist

Quote:
Originally posted by Sakurako 'Endeavor' Hino:
I sort of stayed out of this debate for one reason. Debates on Plilosophy, Religon, and Nova/Human relations are almost guaranteed to turn into flame wars.
But, I have to weigh in with my two yen on this. 1: Even though I look human, and have some of their traits, I no more consider myself human, than a human considers themself an ape. I'm just another breed. 2: That don't make me any better than anyone else. You see, there is an unwritten rule among sentient beings: At the very least, try to get along. It beats mass extinction. Why Novas havent thought about their progenitor race in that fashion has escaped me.
Why aren't you asking why the baseline nation doesn't consider the same thing about us?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ashnod:
Quote:
Why aren't you asking why the baseline nation doesn't consider the same thing about us?
Ashnod: The reason why is that Human culture is so compartmentalized that sometimes you can't run into any two Humans with the same philosophy or nature. Humans are as varied and unique as the stars in the sky and the fingerprints on your hand. And "Human Nation"?!? Doubt it. Look at the joke the UN is. When they need Novas to enforce their mistaken policies, then you see just how dependent Humans are on Novas to save their sorry hides all the time.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ashnod:
Quote:
Ashnod: The reason why is that Human culture is so compartmentalized that sometimes you can't run into any two Humans with the same philosophy or nature. Humans are as varied and unique as the stars in the sky and the fingerprints on your hand. And "Human Nation"?!? Doubt it. Look at the joke the UN is. When they need Novas to enforce their mistaken policies, then you see just how dependent Humans are on Novas to save their sorry hides all the time.
So why do you wish "novas thought about this unwritten law of sentient species" but baselines are excused from it because they are just too diverse. We are no more united and far more diverse than them.

Senhora Sakura, as your cordial host I await your answer as to why this matter is of importance to you. At your convenience of course.

Senhora Ashnod, an interesting stratagem but in what manner is it to yield productive results? Surely a desire for an idea be shared among equals does not equate to 'excusing' those who are not.

Or is it not enough to acknowledge the divergence of baseline and nova?

Quote:
Originally posted by Doutor Reducao:
Senhora Sakura, as your cordial host I await your answer as to why this matter is of importance to you. At your convenience of course.

Senhora Ashnod, an interesting stratagem but in what manner is it to yield productive results? Surely a desire for an idea be shared among equals does not equate to 'excusing' those who are not.

Or is it not enough to acknowledge the divergence of baseline and nova?
I have no idea what you're talking about, sir.

My question was directed to Endeavor merely because she singled Novas out as the culprits of ignoring what is in her mind as an unwritten law. She did not say "nova and baseline" or "all humanoid life on earth," she named Novas exclusively and then, when I asked why baselines were excluded, her response was because they are too compartmentalized and diverse to hold a singular opinion. So I ask again, why does she expect Novas to be any different, if "sentience" is the unifying factor?

I expect NO productive results. I only want to hear why Endeavor feels as she does.

Quote:
There is a baseline nation?
I believe there are many baseline nations. You know, Paraguay, Canada, Russian Confederacy, EC...

Is this debate important to me? Peripherally, maybe. The nature of whether I am human or not generally has little impact on the way my life is lead. It's a great argument if you've got time to burn, and I enjoy occaisionally working with it, but rarely is there a satisfactory answer to the question.

On the other hand, I've always noted that many Novas, when talking of this debate, tend to see themselves as above their baseline counterparts, and rarely does that view work with me (I'm not saying anyone here does, but the terats I occaisionally do work for have been known to).

When you look at it from the inside, the Great Machine doesn't often care which part is more important than the other. If one breaks, the entire machine fails. Or at the very least, stops working at it's full effectiveness until something re-rights the order of things. Of course, on the outside, it's common knowledge that the most visible parts of a machine are rarely the most vital to the Machine's function.

I make no implications about who is where in the Machine. It's not telling anyone where everyone belongs, and that's probably for the best. But I point out that there are 6 billion Baselines, and only around 7000 or so of us. Even with the power we possess, we can only have so much influence on how the world works, and it would be stupid (not to mention arrogant!) for us to think otherwise. There are baselines with influence above those of the average novas (few as they are), and to think that a lump of tissue in our brains means that we have authority over them is a recipe for disaster.

Different? Most likely. Superior? Only the Great Machine truly knows for sure. The "lowly" Baseline can still do a great deal of damage, if s/he is smart and prepared. And it can be scary how much of both a baseline can possess.

Endeavor, the greatest threat to any nova is another nova, not some baseline, or even a nation of baselines. Since your working at DeVries now, you should be able to pull up some of their special footage on "kill shots" and other marketing tools they use. Nothing like showing their guy or gal busting the living hell out of some other nova to hook the client.

DeVries is the number one sponsor of nova deaths. It's not personal, just business. Followed closely by Utopia, with the XWF taking a distant third.

Now don't misunderstand me. I am not anti-DeVries or anti-Utopian. I am not a fan of the XWF, but that is personal.

DeVries' main concern is promoting and protecting their product, the nova Elite. They take good care of their people. They get some of the best medical/legal/administrative care available. Their training and educational programs are second to none. Despite all that, sometimes their Elites get killed. More often, they kill someone elses elite. It is just the way it is.

Utopia does wonderful work all around the globe. Some of that work places their novas in harm's way. Sometimes there are casualties. They also press their novas pretty hard sometimes and that leads to emotional, mental and physical breakdowns. It can also lead to accidents and nova deaths. Look into the number of novas who fell out or died terraforming Ethiopia. It is tough work fixing the planet and keeping the peace.

Just something to think on.

Dr. Smith, the Teragen does not seek out conflict that results in the deaths of Novas. In fact, some of our most aggressive members make every effort to deal with other Novas in a non-lethal manner.

Elites are in a bloody business where death is an expected consequence. Utopian's have set themselves up as policemen for the globe and are often put into positions where the death of their members are a result.

Also, the Teragen is a relatively small organization. For us to have an impact on death statistics for Novas we would either have to be extremely suicidal, or homicidal.

Now, if you are thinking of Epoch and his considerable bodycount, I would include those deaths under the catagory of Elite, for that is the profession he is engaging in when he kills.

I hope that helps to clarify the situation.

Quote:
Senhora Ashnod:
I have no idea what you're talking about, sir.
My humble apologies, senhora.

Mistakenly it seemed a broad assumption was being made, when in fact you were merely asking a question, and it now I find it is I who is guilty of assumption. Senhora Sakura should have been allowed to answer the question for herself rather than the matter being muddled by my flawed interpretations.

Twice now I have been forced to apologize to a lady of stature for a misunderstanding on my part. Though my behavior has been inexcusable I will endeavor that it not happen again.

Quote:
Senhora Teknokat
Peripherally, maybe
Senhora Teknokat, would it be correct to see the matter as one of intellectual curiosity only then? It seems so but after embarrassing myself with Senhora Ashnod over a misunderstanding I would desire to be certain of your positions in your own words.

Quote:
Senhor(?) Jager:
Indeed it is.

Was this part of a personal discussion with senhora Sakura?

Senhor Chance:

I was just wondering if the people interjecting ...

Those without a vested interest have no reason to post, but lacking a reason does not necessarily equate to a sense of restraint.

Much as most people do not desire to answer the question asked, I've also found they cannot resist commenting however indirectly on the choices of others.

There is no moderator here and I act as host in only the loosest of senses. If someone desires to engage in an unrelated question and answer session, or pontificate on the economics of a winery operation there is nothing to stop them.

As the host I will only comment that they've not answered the central question. Should they choose to ignore the observation that is their right.

Quote:
So why do you wish "novas thought about this unwritten law of sentient species" but baselines are excused from it because they are just too diverse. We are no more united and far more diverse than them.
I never said "novas thought about this unwritten law of sentient species" as you said. Second, Novas, due to their far SMALLER number than humans tend to gravitate toward certain philosophies and creedos. Look at the different groups out there. There aren't that many, yet they're the most influential groups in Nova society, because there are so few novas. AFAIK, there arent that many "unalligned" or "independent" novas out there. Humans on the other hand have so many different factions and beliefs that it is hard to pin them down on anything.

Jack, in a way I was also commenting on your origonal post on this thread. You claim to keep reaching for an understanding of the pro-human point of view, but seeing it "fail the acid test of life" (I like that phrase, by the way).

I feel that it isn't so much of how we view ourselves as human or something else, but how we view each other. Many novas don't give a damn how baselines see them, but are damn concerned how they are seen and understood by fellow novas. After all, who do we compete with? Who do we seek out for companionship? Who else can have such a great and terrible impact upon our lives?

I felt that a question of perceptions touched upon this.

Doutor Reducao, I apologize for muddying the waters of your thread much as was done to mine. That was rude of me.

I have avoided answering your question because I simply do not care any more. I know that I am correct. That others do not agree with me is their right. I considered it important to convince others because I believe that we are heading to a war between baseline and Nova and I would have liked for all of us to be on the same side, a possiblity made stronger if we shared similar views as to our nature.

I realize now that a group consensus is unlikely and that the upcoming confrontation will very likely cost us a great many of our number. I find this tragic, but very likely unavoidable. I am sure that given enough pain, fire, and death, that we will all become The One Race eventually.

An excellent job has been done to breed mistrust and suspicion among our kind, James.

Mind you, this is just bald-face conspiracy theory, as Jack will very likely point out. After all, the likelyhood of anyone navigating the pathways of sociology and psycho-history and then using that understanding to shape future events is just so ... impossible, isn't it? Next thing I will be telling you is that I know someone who can bend light and that we can travel to Titan for a late lunch and a few rounds of golf. Absurd.

See you all in the funny papers.

Quote:
Senhora Teknokat, would it be correct to see the matter as one of intellectual curiosity only then? It seems so but after embarrassing myself with Senhora Ashnod over a misunderstanding I would desire to be certain of your positions in your own words.
Pretty much, yeah. Philosophy is not one of my favoured topics of discussion, and this discussion is effectively under that category. It's why I rarely discuss on these subjects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'Prodigy' Meehan
I am sure that given enough pain, fire, and death, that we will all become The One Race eventually.
Are you sure about that? I'm not. It can be very easily argued that we're not so much evolving but mutating, and mutating away in all directions. Humans may be diverse, but that's nothing compared to what Novas can give you. Light-beings, Geo-carapaces, Androgeny. The term "Nova" is almost entirely an umbrella term for anyone with an M-R Node. We are no single race now. When the experimentation truly begins, and the Taint stacks up, how will we have enough similarities to be able to stand each other, let alone join in solidarity?

Quote:
Originally posted by James 'Prodigy' Meehan:
Elites are in a bloody business where death is an expected consequence. Utopian's have set themselves up as policemen for the globe and are often put into positions where the death of their members are a result.
Agreed, we elites are the worst offenders.

Quote:
Originally posted by James 'Prodigy' Meehan:
Also, the Teragen is a relatively small organization. For us to have an impact on death statistics for Novas we would either have to be extremely suicidal, or homicidal.
But the XWF is smaller and more of a show than reality. I had an offer the other day from them, and one of their arguments was that they are less "fatalistic" than any of the big three (Elite,PU,Teragen). That might have been puff, but I don't consider mitoids to be "real" novas (does anyone?). The Teragen lives in the real world, and many of its members seem determined to get into fights with baseline governments, Utopia, and yes, elites.

Moving back to the main point;

"Do I consider myself human?"

...only if the definition of human is extremely broad. When Green I lean towards "No", when pink I can almost pass for baseline. In a way, it doesn't matter. If we are two races, then both are sentaint, can interbreed, and have very similar needs for social interaction etc.

If we aren't human, then we are darn close. Put another way, there are novas who are inhuman in various ways. But what we novas tend to have have in common, i.e. our common traits, our commonity, is our humanity.

Sorry Doutor but I gotta drop a response in here. If the discussion actually goes anywhere I'll take it to another thread but it isn't completely off topic.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jager:

... impossible, isn't it?

Personally I would characterize it as improbable rather than impossible. Not that I find it difficult to believe someone would attempt this as human history is full of such attempts. Rather that I don't give high odds for their success in any but the most general of goals.

As an example; I've had the opportunity to work with tactical precogs before and, my personal dislike of the mentality aside, I've noticed something. Once the variables rise above a certain level, varying with the individual, the resolution - the clarity - goes to crap. It becomes most immediately apparent when two precogs begin to work in opposition but you can see the same thing working large scale but trying to manage individual events. Add novas into the picture and it becomes a very dangerous game of intrigue where unaligned variable can cause the entire setting to blow up in your face. All it takes is one particular individual in the right place at the right time and whatever goal sought goes to hell in a handbasket as that person skews the probabilities by their actions actions.

Seek the company of equals, discern the nature of the universe and of one's own heart, put aside fear to examine the possibilities no matter how abhorrent but never place absolute faith in organizations. Its the critical failure of the Utopian ideal; you can't create an organization open to all possibilities as the nature of organizations precludes some possibilities.

That's why I need Ashnod, Holland and others. No matter how wrong or misguided I may believe they are, they encapsulate ideas and possibilities that I might otherwise never see. That's my input to the nova society you're seeking.

Quote:
Quote:
I never said "novas thought about this unwritten law of sentient species" as you said. Second, Novas, due to their far SMALLER number than humans tend to gravitate toward certain philosophies and creedos. Look at the different groups out there. There aren't that many, yet they're the most influential groups in Nova society, because there are so few novas. AFAIK, there arent that many "unalligned" or "independent" novas out there. Humans on the other hand have so many different factions and beliefs that it is hard to pin them down on anything.
There are more independant Novas than Novas that claim membership in any one organization.

Quote:
James 'Prodigy' Meehan:
I apologize for muddying the waters of your thread much as was done to mine. That was rude of me.
It is a matter of little importance, senhor, though your courtesy reflects your character well and favorably. Please let it trouble you no more. Admittedly I find the sheer variety of positions, philosophies and standards of conduct to be far more fascinating than any of my professional work of late. Should a question be over looked here or there, or one feel it necessary to explore a path not directly related, that too is interesting.

Quote:
I considered it important to convince others because I believe that we are heading to a war between baseline and Nova and I would have liked for all of us to be on the same side, a possiblity made stronger if we shared similar views as to our nature.
That appears to be a very noble goal and thank you for sharing your thoughts. I must confess a certain desire on my part that you would be mistaken but your reputation is not that of a man given to flights of wild speculation.

Sad though it might be for a grand destiny to be delyaed so too do I find the idea of leaving behind those I love. At least without ensuring they will be well. A selfish desire possibly but mitigated in that I will not obstruct the path of another for my own gain.

And please forgive my problems with the quote function of this forum. It is a skill I appear to have difficulties with mastering.

Doutor Reducao, I waited until I was sure of my response to your initial question and how to phrase that response.

Indifference.

I am worried that most novas are in fact indifferent to the question of what it means for them to be a nova and what it means to the baseline world at large. Whether they don't give a damn what people think of them or whether they even address the question in their daily lives, it doesn't really matter.

You can say, "I'm just a baseline with quantum powers", or "I have moved beyond baselines ability to understand me." The problem is, it matters to a whole bunch of baselines. Added to that, it matters to a whole bunch of novas who have yet to erupt.

We can breed baseline fear which turns to hatred or we can let the situation descend into self-loathing among our worshippers. Too many of us believe that they are untouchable by the baseline masses. I think they are wrong.

Among that mass is a whole bunch of new gods who are building a lifetime of anger and resentment toward today's "titans", us.

That is not going to simply vanish just because they erupt. How many novas develop radical personality shifts after their eruptions? How many of those become less violent?

DC, sorry that I posted before ante-ing up. As to the (?), I am male, so you guessed correctly.

*sigh*

Okay, so here's what I gather, Independent aren't the exception, they're the rule? Okaaaay... That weird formula drink of mine musta fried a few brain cells here. 'cause I'm hallucinating now. No person, Nova or not, is an island to themselves. They associate with other like-minded individuals. It's an inevitibility. I can't sure as hell buy the fact that there are Novas that are a party of one outbumbering PU, the Terats out there, DeVries, and Daedalus!

Sorry, that's sort of hard to swallow.

Originally posted by Jager:

I am worried that most novas are in fact indifferent to the question of what it means for them to be a nova and what it means to the baseline world at large. Whether they don't give a damn what people think of them or whether they even address the question in their daily lives, it doesn't really matter.

i don't see that it matters if i'm human or not but i do care about what it means to be a nova. I just don't see how attempting to classify the unclassifible is going to help.

You can say, "I'm just a baseline with quantum powers", or "I have moved beyond baselines ability to understand me." The problem is, it matters to a whole bunch of baselines. Added to that, it matters to a whole bunch of novas who have yet to erupt.

oh yes it does. There is nothing in this world that scares me more than the way the Zurich Accord is phrased. It's not that it says we are human it's the implicit suggestion that only humans have "human" rights. If we're ever declared non-human the protection, such as it is, disappears. It isn't even as if baseline humanity requires anything as radical as not being a member of homo sapiens sapiens to declare a people aren't human.

I think the one thing the teragen misses when it argues that novas aren't human is the way humanity thinks. Humans think of themselves as top of the tree. Better than anything else. They think that by declaring us human they've given us something. Regardless of our powers and our intellects if baseline humanity en-masse comes to see us as not human it will come to see us as inferior to it. Humanity thinks, on some level, that the universe was created for its pleasure alone and everything else exists to serve it or to be destroyed. This attittude is why many novas are terrified of not being human because all their baseline instincts tell them that to be non-human is automatically to be sub-human because nothing can be equal or better to humanity. Unfortunately it's also why some novas think the sameway about novakind and if we aren't careful we'll ebd up with the same problems as baselines because of it.

Jager's other points are good too but I'm snipping them for brevity.

Twist

Since Doutor Reducao has been so kind as to forgive the off topic ramblings I feel slightly more enabled to react to some of the comments here that are in no way shape or form in line with the topic at hand.

That being the case....

Endeavor, perhaps we should define our terms. I believe when Ashnod is refering to independent Novas she means those Novas without official and formal membership in any of the groups you mentioned. Let me use a contact of mine as an example, Walter, or Walt to his friends. Walt is an independent operative technically. However, he holds sympathies with the Terat cause, has done contract work for DeVryes and due to his sexual preferences, has attended more than one QNA function. Is he a dues paying member? No. Does he have a long term contract with DeVryes? No. If he was to call out for assistance to the Teragen, would they come runnning? Only if they felt like it. Walt is an independent, yet he is not an island. Does this help?

*nods*

But, due to his involvements, he did infact gravitate towards the Terat philosophy, and has MANY dealings with DeVries. Not to mention he occasionally hangs around with the QNA. That means, he has certain preferences toward a certain philosophy, ethic, and physiological/gender related characteristics. Not to say he's a bad guy though.

Anyone, Nova or Human, gravitate toward a creed or philosophy that they are comfortable with, or believe is truth about themself, or reality.

Sorry, these sorts of things I have harder times with. I can debug a program, but can't wax philosophical to save my soul. :P

Quote:
*sigh*
Okay, so here's what I gather, Independent aren't the exception, they're the rule? Okaaaay... That weird formula drink of mine musta fried a few brain cells here. 'cause I'm hallucinating now. No person, Nova or not, is an island to themselves. They associate with other like-minded individuals. It's an inevitibility. I can't sure as hell buy the fact that there are Novas that are a party of one outbumbering PU, the Terats out there, DeVries, and Daedalus!
Sorry, that's sort of hard to swallow.
Regardless of whether or not you believe it, it's true. The QNA and Utopia technically claim more more Nova "members" than any other organization, and there are more Novas who work independent of them (and all other major groups) than Novas who claim membership.

When push comes to shove it is going to be interesting to see who jumps where and if they are let in. It is never to early to let that good ole paranoia start to creep in and fortifying your camp ... or you could just party til you drop and go out in a blaze of glory.

I may not be human anymore, but I am human-like and share much with baseline humanity. All my reference points are baseline standards. I am part of baseline society and culture. While I am changing beyond the baseline man that I was, that is were I started from and very much who I am still. Yes, there are improvements. Yes, I am better, stronger, faster, smarter, more perceptive, ect. than I was before my eruption, but I feel that my soul remains the same, if more active.

The best way I can put it is this: I am more than human, but it has made me more human as well.

See, I was nice ... and for those who think that become more than human diminishes the rest of humanity some how, remember that there are some novas out here who value the human side of us very much and take a really, really dim view of those who hold humanity in contempt.