Aberrant RPG - Deflect/Redirect

Blue Thunder

I just read Deflect/Redirect (from the Teragen book) again recently, and it seems too powerful for a Level 1 power. I understand the concept...you can deflect (and possibly redirect) any ranged attack coming at you that you can percieve.

But what I don't understand is why you don't have to specify what you can affect as "physical" or "energy" or some other category. If your character can deflect bullets with his mind via telekinesis, but how does that also give him the power to deflect Quantum Bolts made of energy?

As it stands, Deflect/Redirect seems like it should require the player to define what "type" the power affects, like kinetic (bullets, arrows, falling debris, etc.) or energy (Quantum Bolts, lasers, etc.), much like Absorption does. Then it could have an Extra where it works on both types or something.

It just seems too powerful as a level 1 power the way it is.

Opinions?

I just read Deflect/Redirect (from the Teragen book) again recently, and it seems too powerful for a Level 1 power. I understand the concept...you can deflect (and possibly redirect) any ranged attack coming at you that you can percieve.

But what I don't understand is why you don't have to specify what you can affect as "physical" or "energy" or some other category. If your character can deflect bullets with his mind via telekinesis, but how does that also give him the power to deflect Quantum Bolts made of energy?

As it stands, Deflect/Redirect seems like it should require the player to define what "type" the power affects, like kinetic (bullets, arrows, falling debris, etc.) or energy (Quantum Bolts, lasers, etc.), much like Absorption does. Then it could have an Extra where it works on both types or something.

It just seems too powerful as a level 1 power the way it is.

Opinions?

I don't think it is too powerful. Basically, instead of dodging (moving yourself out of the path of a projectile) you are making the shot dodge (moving it out of your path). In exchange for paying 1 quantum every time you use it, if you get more net successes than the original attack roll (likely with baseline-fired bullets, highly unlikely against nova-fired Q-bolts) you can send it somewhere of your choosing. It only works on single targets (so something like a strafe from a machine gun is right out) or area attacks (so you can't knock someone's Area Q-Bolt away). I think it would be rather hard to add effectiveness to bump it up into the realm of a level 2 power.

OTOH, I'd be interested to see what happens if you built up a character with Mega Dex 5 and Deflect/Redirect 5.
For one on one combat? Close to same thing as you'd see with Mega-Dex 5 and Martial Arts 5, except the Deflection guy will run out of juice sooner.

The only thing Deflection offers over forcefield (which can also power block) is the ability to reflect the power back at the user... which sounds really powerful until you realize novas are immune to their own powers.

For one on one combat? Close to same thing as you'd see with Mega-Dex 5 and Martial Arts 5, except the Deflection guy will run out of juice sooner.

The only thing Deflection offers over forcefield (which can also power block) is the ability to reflect the power back at the user... which sounds really powerful until you realize novas are immune to their own powers.

Actually, I don't think this power is usable against hand-to-hand attacks, only ranged ones, so maybe not quite the same as M.Dex 5 and Martial Arts 5. ::tongue (guess I could be wrong though)

To me the big advantage is that while novas might be immune to their own powers, their teammates aren't! And while a nova's own q-bolt can't hurt him, redirecting it so it collapses a roof on him or blows up a nearby car can.

• 1 year later...

A nasty little trick you could do, though. . .

Deflect/Reflect ( RQC, Reflexive [ When Attacked ] ). Depending on how you figure the order of operations for extras and qp cost, it basically is a free Deflect/Reflect roll against every ranged attack on you. If you have high Mega Dex to go with it. . .

Can be used to represent anything from spatial defensive fields to jerkass swordsman who parry *everything* thrown at them.

As near as I can tell, aside from the trivial ( reduced Q cost ), it'd double the rolled sux.

Q-Bolt doesn't double it's sux. Some of the resisted powers probably do, i.e. Telepathy, but we're deep into ST judgement territory here trying to say which catagory this falls into.

This might be one of those powers that just doesn't get much from mastery, or it might do really odd things like double the reflected attack.

Archived