Aberrant: Prometheans Unbound - Teragen Game

Alex Green

someone voted and didnt say...

I havent voted yet because I would like Blue Thunder's response to the following:

If we are strating elevated then I will vote for 35 + xp that can be spent on applicable stuff at the reduced chrysalis rate. What say you BT?

If not (no Chrys) then I will vote for 60.

Yes, on a side note, please, please, please claim your vote.

I voted for 35+60.

I havent voted yet because I would like Blue Thunder's response to the following:,,

If we are strating elevated then I will vote for 35 + xp that can be spent on applicable stuff at the reduced chrysalis rate. What say you BT?

If not (no Chrys) then I will vote for 60.

I thought this was answered "No".

Yes, on a side note, please, please, please claim your vote.

I voted for 35+60.

I thought this was answered "No".

he said he wouldnt mind having us start the game having been through Chrysalis...how else can we do that if we dont, well...go through Chrysalis??? I think its a great idea and haven't heard a no yet...

I voted for the "Mixed" option.

That way if a few players want Second Stage (and I may allow them), they can do it, and for First Stage they can still use the XP for other stuff. But I'm not too sure about the 35 NP thing. How about 40? 5 extra NP doesn't seem like much of a difference to even add...

just curious about your rationale for this statement...
When given full nova points, it is more cost-efficient to max out one or two things, and ignore lesser items (such as enhancements, or 1-2 dot powers/megas) that would more fully flesh out the character, to wait to buy those with experience because of the cost-effectiveness.

In other words, point-wise, buying two enhancements with nova points and 5 dots of Immolate with experience is dumb; buying five dots of Immolate with nova points and two enhancements with experience is smart. ::thumbup

I voted for the "Mixed" option.

That way if a few players want Second Stage (and I may allow them), they can do it, and for First Stage they can still use the XP for other stuff. But I'm not too sure about the 35 NP thing. How about 40? 5 extra NP doesn't seem like much of a difference to even add...

Since the group is leading toward mixed (including the actual ST and another ST) I will vote for that...though I would like the 40+60 route to have a lil more NP clout on the "front end" as it were, I didnt vote for none of the above but 40+60=100 and thats a nice round number! ::biggrin

Blue Thunder, will you please comment on the Chrysalis xp idea? Have you just been mulling it over?

I'll allow Chysalis, sure, but how many characters need to go through Chrysalis? I wouldn't mind if a few players had Second Stage characters, but only if the other players were fine with it.

I mean, unless you guys *all* want Second Stagers...I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea, as long as it works story-wise. Perhaps since this faction is new, you guys all came from other factions where you had already undergone Chrysalis. Then, for whatever reasons (maybe unique to each individual) you came together and left your old factions. But I guess we can discuss that in the other thread...

So how about Chrysalis then? No need for another poll, we can just answer here. If you want Chrysalis, shout it here, and if you don't, say as much. I don't mind having a mix between First and Second stages if you guys don't.

Let me ask for clarification first: are we talking 50 NP Elevated novas by the book in the midst of our 35 & change novas? Or would these be novas on the same NP scale who were permitted to buy things at better rates in return for taking extra abberations at chargen?

Isn't that a bit much? If we're starting, shouldn't we start? Grow powerful, don't start that way.

Its not really *all* that much...

The power differential isn't much...not like say, the original Avengers sporting, on one end The Wasp and Hawkeye next to Thor and The Hulk. We are talking about something way more minor.

Its more about the point of view you are starting at. IMHO at least one of us should be elevated.....mostly since Id rather not have an NPC leading the faction idea that I came up with...

As for Pheonix's question, its up to BT really but I like the idea of buying stuff at Chrys cost in exchange for aberrations more than just 15 extra NPs.

I gotta say, originally I was okay with it, but after reading the Teragen book again, I'm not comfortable with any of us being 2nd stage, for a few different reasons.

1. I prefer starting out low or in the middle and then growing from there.

2. Chrysalis seems to be a dangerous and relatively difficult thing to achieve. Mal is only on his third stage, and the examples they give for 2nd stagers scare the piss outta me.

3. Having one character start out more powerful than the others can(not to say will, but can) cause dissatisfaction with the other players whose characters aren't as powerful.

4. I don't think it's necessary for a starting faction to have a Stage 2 Terat be the founder of a philosophy, or the leader of the faction. Leaders are made by virtue of good roleplaying and the stats to back it up IC.

I do understand the desire to have a set leadership role, but doesn't that sort of go against the nature of Teras? Each do as thou wilt, and all that? Terats sharing a common goal is one thing, but it should be up to the group IC to decide on what kind of structure the faction will have.

Just my thoughts.

I have to admit, I feel the same way. I feel like it'll compromise the sense of vulnerability our fledgling group should be feeling at the outset of the Night of Long Knives, and the sense of comraderie that our characters should be feeling, if one is more advanced than others.

Maybe it's time to compromise, because I do sympathize with SkyLion. What if he's allowed to buy permanent Chrysalis points at a flat rate during chargen? This way, he could play a character who was experienced with Teras and perhaps quite close to entering the Chrysalis - close enough to do so after the first Chapter, say - but not more powerful than the rest of our characters, and not so advanced in status or knowledge that he's more than, say, a big brotherly figure to the rest of us.* Considering that he's already agreed to do it without any Nova Point bonus, I'd say that's more than fair to those of us who object, if he's willing.

I feel like this could let SkyLion get his character across without compromise (so to speak) while still addressing the objections that have repeatedly come up. Besides, later on I think you might appreciate the chance to see what your character was like before the big C.

*Because as we all know, the Teragen is just like a big, vicious family. ::devil ::unsure

A couple things...

re Stage two leader.

While I do think it would help our street cred to have one, after thinking about it we really dont need someone at stage two. If I remember correctly, the Count is the leader of the Casablancas and he is stage one.

re Our own crysalis.

I was reviewing the rules for crysalis and taint and I dont think that any of us will be going into it if we dont start with some crysalis (at least). We all know how slow pbp games can go, and with as slow as you gain temp/perm taint combined wiht the fact that you have to spend a lot of QP to convert the taint to Crysalis...

Well...I dont forsee any of us going second stage before 2k8 unless we have lots of downtime for us to sit there and say "I max my powers, then take a nap. I max my powers then take a nap."

Of course this is about the night of the long knives, and not about the PC/crysalis factor...but I dont think that we will have to worry about it unless we start with it.

The break points are:

1 points: You don't need instruction from your mentor (and I assume can now tech it yourself)

4 points: First minor Aberration. +1 Soc diff.

5 points: 2nd minor Aberration. Can Now Try to Enter Chrysalis, very difficult. Suggest the allowing of more than one point of willpower, i.e. one to try, and one for an autosucc on the roll.

6 points: First Medium Aberration. +2 Soc diff.

8 points: First Major Aberration. +3 Soc diff.

10 points: Character is hosed.

The question then becomes:

1) How soon do you want to allow them to enter "C"?

2) How long is "down time", and when does it start?

Largely I think Chrysalis levels should be a matter of player choice and RP. If the player states that he's really into forcing his evolution (or he has Node Spark), then let him do it when he has enough down time. If the player states that he's simply converting temp-taint when it comes up naturally (i.e. he's not trying to force it), then he might never enter "C".

I.e. "C" is so hard to generate that it should largely be a plot device. This is especially true since the "reduced cost" exp tables only really balance the fact that the PC isn't out and about earning exp.

After thinking on it a bit. I don't mind character power level difference honestly. It always in a way makes more sense to have people of varying power level on the same team. A Norse God for example fighting next to an Olympic archer...(not to say Hawkeye wasn't bad ass but )

That theme isn't frequently addressed in RPG because players tend to feel left out and or "underpowered" compared to others and it ruins the experience for them. I think its up to the players to make yourself useful and interesting.

If BT didn't mind, I would have no issue with having players start out slightly to much more powerful than I. Makes it more fun to play a gritty lower power level character anyway...for me that is.

Hey everyone!

Im *so* stoked!!!

...I had this amazing epiphany of an inspiration for my character and worked it out so he doenst need to be second stage...never hurts but I wouldnt mind being first stage.

The idea fits in perfectly with how he would end up becomming the philosphical center for a new faction. Its like the PC was speaking to me and it already feels very fleshed out and alive.

Im way into it but Im at work right now and never have more than a few minutes.

BT I will be emailing you the prologue and a full breakdown of my idea as soon as I have time to sit down and write it, sometime this coming week.

If y'all thinks it cool to start with temp chrys I dont mind...

However...

I agree with the current discussion...the current Chrys setup needs some house rulings.

Imagine going to all the effort and saving all your xp and then failing or botching and loosing it all.

I think it should definitly be more of a plot device or at least let us spend more QP on it....even if you had a 9 Chrys it would be hard to roll 4 success...thats right a +3 difficulty...

the probability of all that time and xp being wasted makes me nauseus...lets find a way to make it more of a story device.

I also agree with Alex that the xp costs really only cover downtime...if you look they really just make a power or whatnot cost a level lower...

Making Chrysalis a plot device actually sounds like a good idea. Of course, your character would still need to undergo his "inward quest" or whatnot prior to even starting the C. Like killing off his baseline friends, creating a new plague, or whatever, dependant on his Archetype. And he'll be testing the limits of his abilities (both quantum related and otherwise). He can't just say "Well, I'm bored, time to go Second Stage!" then weave a cocoon around himself.

The main advantage is that we don't have to wait years to undergo the C, and any failure on the C would be plot-related. And chances where you'll gain temp C points don't happen often enough for a pbp game.

But how does everyone else feel?

After thinking on it a bit. I don't mind character power level difference honestly. It always in a way makes more sense to have people of varying power level on the same team. A Norse God for example fighting next to an Olympic archer...(not to say Hawkeye wasn't bad ass but )

That theme isn't frequently addressed in RPG because players tend to feel left out and or "underpowered" compared to others and it ruins the experience for them. I think its up to the players to make yourself useful and interesting.

If BT didn't mind, I would have no issue with having players start out slightly to much more powerful than I. Makes it more fun to play a gritty lower power level character anyway...for me that is.

Just to go on record, I also don't have a problem with differing power levels. I played in an RP once where things were arranged 'cinematically' so that, for instance, there was a 'Supporting Cast' composed of most of the players and who all had roughly the same starting points, the 'Main Character' who had a certain amount (which was slightly higher than the Supporting Cast), and one or two (can't remember exactly) 'Lead Supporting' characters who had more points than anyone else.

I'm not necassarily suggesting that we should use 'this' particular system or anything, I'm just using it as an example because none of the people who played in that game (including myself) had any problem with the idea that some of us had started out 'more powerful' than the others. It was kind of fun actually.

[edited for grammatical mistakes]

Archived