Aberrant: Trans-Dimensional Explorations - House rule

For those of you that have the Adventure! book, there's a rule in it that having Lethal soak high enough to reduce Lethal damage to ping also changes it to Bashing damage ni the case of a success. So this is a house rule I've been thinking about. If you have misgivings, or comments about the rule, please wait until they are settled before voting. If you're not in the Trans-D game, please don't vote at all. ::smile

If Aggravated damage is reduced to ping, it inflicts Lethal damage on a rolled success.

If Lethal damage is reduced to ping, it inflicts Bashing damage on a rolled success.

If Bashing damage is reduced to ping, it inflicts Bashing damage only on a rolled 10.

Ping damage was instituted with the revised system. Coming from the WOD I personally HATE ping damage....its so stupid...if your soak is high enough...you soak it end of story. So Im really the wrong person to ask...

You're playing so this affects you too. And you know about it so you can argue against it. How are you the wrong person to ask?

You're playing so this affects you too. And you know about it so you can argue against it. How are you the wrong person to ask?

Well like I said...If You asked me what I really wanted I would say to do away with ping damage altogether..especially when Novas are concerned...A Nova that can shrug off tank shells should in NO WAY be able to be pinged to death by cops with pistols...or kids with rocks, just because of some ping die. Its stupid to me. I say we do away with ping altogether.

And yes I know about the double the soak needed rule but thats like a lame after thought for novas. remember that ping damage was first nstitued in the Trinity game...

Well, since this would weaken ping damage, Esteban should be all for it. I don't object.

I think part of the reason there is ping damage in Aberrant is that there are so many powers (armor, force field, high mega-stam, etc.) that can increase soak to extremely high levels, so it's necessary to give people some way around that.

Well, since this would weaken ping damage, Esteban should be all for it. I don't object.

I think part of the reason there is ping damage in Aberrant is that there are so many powers (armor, force field, high mega-stam, etc.) that can increase soak to extremely high levels, so it's necessary to give people some way around that.

Thats what AP is for, and mindblasts, and dominate, and telekinesis, and immobilize, and strobe.etc. etc. etc.

If it will weaken ping damage I guess it is ok but Id rather do away with the silly concept. I understand that its based off of some notion of game balance, but in reality (and hopefully in the virtual reality we play in) the world isnt balanced. Some Novas are messes like Sloppy Joe and others are Divis Mal. Some are weak and vulnerable to bullets. Others are invulnerable. The more powerful the nova, obviously the greater degree of invulnerabilty (like someone with mastery of both broad categories). I am sure Paul, as a force of nature can attest that not all are created equal. In the comics this is born out often where the heros have to find some other way to deal with or contain particularly powerful villains. Some are really invulnerable and cant be executed so they have to be kept in special prisons (to escape eventually of course...).

This is similar to the subject about Novas routinely picking up battleships and outpacing fighter jets etc. in the flavor text but then the rules dont make it seem that way. Then again, WW cheats with almost all of their NPCs one way or another!

Truth be told, Im not really that concerned about it. Its a flavor thing so it depends on what you want to go for BN...

I voted in favor of it. I don't like the idea of Aggravated "ping" damage.

Oh, and BN, what part of the book was that in?

Page 200 of the Adventure! book.
However, even if your soak is higher than your opponent's damage effect, your opponent still rolls one die. This applies as bashing damage even if the original attack was lethal. This reflects that the attack was little more than a glancing blow, inflicting a minor cut or bruise but causing no lasting damage.
RE: Doing away with Ping

I think we are already dealing with "Puny Human". So if you soak is twice what they do then you don't get Ping'ed?

Correct. If your lethal soak is 10, then any lethal attack doing 5 or less does nothing, anything between 6 and 10 would (under this hosue rule) do one die of bashing, and any attack of 11 or higher would inflict lethal damage as normal.

Page 200 of the Adventure! book.

Correct. If your lethal soak is 10, then any lethal attack doing 5 or less does nothing, anything between 6 and 10 would (under this hosue rule) do one die of bashing, and any attack of 11 or higher would inflict lethal damage as normal.

I think it's fine, as long as we stick to the Puny Human rules. I could be wrong, but I think BN may be looking for a bit more flavor of danger in his game, and I like that. I always enjoy games more when there's a decent chance of my character getting offed during play.

I know Alex voted; I have only 4 votes but 7 players. I'd really like all of you to vote.

Archer: This makes ping damage less deadly to everyone - PC and NPC alike - which makes it harder to kill someone when your attack doesn't match his defense. It does, however, make it easier to incapacitate him.

Archived