I just watched a special on USA Networks show called 4400. I have never watched the show before tonight. I noticed several similarities to the Aeon universe. Nothing really specific that leads me to believe the creators "stole" the idea. I gotta wonder if they used it for inspiration though. I think its practically impossible to create something that didn't originate in part from something else. I always felt that the writers for the Aeon universe took a concept and thought in out in as many ways as they possibly could. It was like they were running an experiment in their heads. They asked themselves what would happen in the real world if poeple did develop god-like powers. They did such a superb job that for me the stories in the books were as close to reality as I could get [uh oh! He's talking about confusing reality with the game!]. I'm not keen on watching serial shows on TV. I don't like getting sucked in every week and having to wait for the rest of the story to develop [its ironic that I show up for my Aberrant session every week!]. Besides, the stories for the shows are adapted for the real TV world anyways. Characters have to be written out and in based on the actors or actresses real lives. Episode stories are subject to the producers because it needs to be marketable. A friend of mine told me that he admired the show Babylon 5 because the writers were allowed to stay true to their vision and finish their story in its entirety. I wonder if that was true. Anyway, perhaps 4400 will have some inspiration for us Aeon players as well.

The Aeon games do take a lot of inspiration in places. The entire Aberrant War is pretty much Kingdom Come. If you read Kingdom Come (all four issues are available as one graphic novel by DC Comics) then you'll probably think "Hey, this is the Aberrant War!" like I did. The theme in the story is pretty much the same.

I haven't watched the 4400 yet. I'm not much of a TV person.

I only watched the one hour special that condensed two whole seasons so I might have missed something. The similarities I saw were that the 4400 people had "psychic" potential. This potential could equate into many different types of power which could grow to "god-like" levels. The 4400 were abducted by humans from the future and placed in present day Earth to save humanity. Of course that could just be a ruse. There are humans with god-like powers given to them by other humans who have learned the art of time travel. It is in no way exactly the same as Aeon.

Archived