Trinity RPG: Earth Surrounded - The Triple Threat

BlueNinja

I was under the impression (from Stellar Frontiers) that to a teleporter, everything is here or far. Traveling is practically instantaneous (depending on skill 5 turns down to 0) The jumpships are supposed to be inferior to a true teleporter, despite their amazing size and complexity. Just as a suggestion, consider letting there be weeks of travel time to allow for IC "downtime, kibitzing, resting, experience etc...

The description of travel is that from the perspective of those travelling, it is instantaneous, but outside of the warp, days/weeks pass between the time they vanish and reappear.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The description of travel is that from the perspective of those travelling, it is instantaneous, but outside of the warp, days/weeks pass between the time they vanish and reappear.

For the Leviathans, yes (excellent downtime rememeber?) but NOT for Teleporters. But you probably haven't read that far yet. It takes an Upeo 5 turns-extra successes...

Yes, I just want to know which Aptitude he's talking about, because I only want one of each until we're up to at least six players.

I got the impression there was someone else who wanted to be the TeK so I was thinking of doing the ReX thing instead. Still legion though.

this is what I am rolling with for a concept right now.

former 2nd legion left cuase of "personal differences"

biovarg pilot

Vitakinetic

aux mode Clair

personality like jayne form firefly

biovarg pilot

Vitakinetic

aux mode Clair

That sounds fine to me. You have a character sheet?

I got the impression there was someone else who wanted to be the TeK so I was thinking of doing the ReX thing instead. Still legion though.

biovarg pilot

Vitakinetic

aux mode Clair

Concept: Veteran Ace/VARG scientist.

Synopsis:

Cocky young Tek VARG pilot assigned to Remus Station for disciplinary problems. Spends two years performing precision maneuvers in the asteroid belt and fighting off aberrant incursions. When Remus fails to curb his mischief, he is finally traded to the newly formed Phoenix Squadron's lunatic OAT ( Orbital Assault Troops)stealth marines. A year later aberrants attack the Esperanza. Within minutes, Orgotek Strike Teams and the 7th Legion are en route. As the Esperanza begins to burn in the sky, Orbital marines enter freefall into Earth's atmosphere from vacuum in direct combat with the attacking aberrants. A teleporting fiend eviscerates his VARG, mauling his face and leaving him for dead. Only his survival bioapp was able to able to keep him conscious enough to ditch safely into the Mediteranian Sea. After one more year of service he is transfered quietly to Proteus and assigned to a secret base hidden somewhere inside a hollow asteroid, only whispered to contain bleeding edge Biotech and Hardtech Hybrids.

Elektrokinetic: Exact Modes pending...

Aux mode: Pyrokinetics 1

personality: like Isamu Dyson from Macross Plus anime OAVs

I don't have character sheets from anyone yet. First come, first serve.

Lemme expand on my previous post a bit: Your characters are all fairly new at being psions. You could have a great deal of experience in any other fields that don't involve the direct use of psionics. Your characters are all new agents for Aeon in exchange for favors Aeon has done for your respective orders, mostly in the 'horse-trading' area. All of you can still have backing with your own orders (or whichever one found you) equal to or less than your Aeon backing.

I don't have character sheets from anyone yet. First come, first serve.

Wed or more likely Thursday. It's been a while, I'm not completely settled on a direction, and this is the busy part of my week. It is definitely in the works though.

Was anyone thinking of taking a ship with the device rating (or with resources)? If so, I'd like to get a tiny fighter and we could travel Cowboy Bebop style. If not, maybe I'll pick a small hybrid instead.

Hi folks!

I am interested in playing, too. If there is still a slot free, I would like to join. As for the character concept, I am not quite sure because I am a little bit confused about who is taking which aptitude and concept. As far as I have seen my favourite combination of Clear and pilot is already taken ::wink

Perhaps you can make up a small summary of the characters so far.

Thanks,

Grizzly

Hi folks!

I am interested in playing, too. If there is still a slot free, I would like to join. As for the character concept, I am not quite sure because I am a little bit confused about who is taking which aptitude and concept. As far as I have seen my favourite combination of Clear and pilot is already taken ::wink

Perhaps you can make up a small summary of the characters so far.

Thanks,

Grizzly

Welcome aboard Grizz! So far we have a Tek Varg pilot, aux mode is either PK, Clair, or possible t-port

One tentative former legionaire Rex with aux mode in Clair

One ISRAn pilot though unsure about what they would be piloting (drop ship/ scout frigate?)

One tentative Norca.

And you!

Lets open up the discussion. If you wanted to play a clair pilot, share your ideas and maybe ithurial will change his/her mind. Personally I think it would kick ass if we were all hand-picked varg pilots like Gundam Wing or similar...but thats just my mecha fetish. All concepts welcome!

One tentative former legionaire Rex with aux mode in Clair
From PM, that's less tentative.

Grizz, I don't yet have a Ministry/Telepath, or a Legionnare/PK. To repeat what I told Asbjorn, I want at least 5 of the 6 Aptitudes covered before I start allowing folks to double-up, so PM/IM/e-mail him and see what you two want to play.

Or convince someone else to join and play one of those two. ::wink

Pheonix volunteered that he isn't dead set on Norca but you should check with him. Also I gave a copy of Stellar Frontiers to BN so maybe he will be gracious in working a teleporter in for someone...
No teleporters as a main Aptitude. You folks are official Aeon agents, and if you caught sight of an Upeo Wa Macho, you'd be faced with the choice of either reporting them (or trying to bring them in yourselves), or setting yourself against your superiors (who, obviously, have much higher Backings than any of you do). If you guys hit the point in 2121 when the Upeo returns, and a new players wants a teleporter (or one of you died or has another good reason for changing characters) we'll discuss it then.

[edit] As far as Aptitudes go, a Norca/BK is probably one of the easier psions to get involved in the opening mission, since they are being sent to a colony that housed a Norca research station. Everyone else is sort of being sent along to/by Aeon as repaying of favors by their home order.

Well, I think I ´ll take the Psychokinetic then. Seeing that we already have two Varg-pilots I think we don´t need more of them ::devil

Have to take a look in my book for further details.

What about those alternative psi powers from the order books? Do you allow them? and iff you do so, how do you want to handle learning them?

Well, I think I ´ll take the Psychokinetic then. Seeing that we already have two Varg-pilots I think we don´t need more of them ::devil

Have to take a look in my book for further details.

What about those alternative psi powers from the order books? Do you allow them? and iff you do so, how do you want to handle learning them?

Since I lack all of those other books, no, I'm not exactly allowing them; however, while I'm not using the freeform rules, I am being a little more lax about using Psi powers in other-than-written ways outside of combat. If there's an alternate-mode-power that'll let you do what you want, show me what it says and I'll rule them on a case by case basis.

Grizzly, I came up with a character earlier this evening and I think he might work well as a telekinetic, so if you want to do the Norca instead I would be not only willing, but eager, to trade. But hey, if you feel like running with the PK idea, feel totally free; I can easily do something else. Basically the only aptitude I can't really work with is biokinesis, so now I feel like a jerk for calling dibs on it. Mea culpa! ::wacko

Grizzly, I came up with a character earlier this evening and I think he might work well as a telekinetic, so if you want to do the Norca instead I would be not only willing, but eager, to trade. But hey, if you feel like running with the PK idea, feel totally free; I can easily do something else. Basically the only aptitude I can't really work with is biokinesis, so now I feel like a jerk for calling dibs on it. Mea culpa! ::wacko

In the ongoing discussion of the necesary EK Mode for interfacing with VARGs I think it may be better to bypass the interface in favor of straight Biokinesis. This may actually work with some parts of my original idea and make it waaayy more accessable to BN's background idea for the PCs.

I have two character sheets, one for the Tek Version and one for the Norca version, emailed to BN.

Since I lack all of those other books, no, I'm not exactly allowing them; however, while I'm not using the freeform rules, I am being a little more lax about using Psi powers in other-than-written ways outside of combat. If there's an alternate-mode-power that'll let you do what you want, show me what it says and I'll rule them on a case by case basis.

Well, if you are interested I can send you a complete set of all those alternative powers for all Aptitudes except Quantakinesis. I scanned them from the books and converted them to doc-formate.

As for me, I can go by those core book powers.

I think I stay with the PK legionaire. Norcas never had been a favourite of mine. ::wink

Auxilary mode will probably be EM: Stun

Well, if you are interested I can send you a complete set of all those alternative powers for all Aptitudes except Quantakinesis. I scanned them from the books and converted them to doc-formate.
That would be appreciated.

C'mon folks, don't be shy, send characters this way! The sooner I can vet all the sheets, the sooner we can get this Leviathan on the road! (The road will probably never be the same again, but what the heck.)

That would be appreciated.

C'mon folks, don't be shy, send characters this way! The sooner I can vet all the sheets, the sooner we can get this Leviathan on the road! (The road will probably never be the same again, but what the heck.)

Are we sending sheets by PM or posting here?

Grizzly> As for pilot I could go either way. One of us could pilot the main vehicle and the other a smaller fighter craft. Interested in either of those?

Er...maybe...I have to go over some stuff with BN before I commit to switching. I actually really like my tech version but it may not work out the way I really want. Similar with Norca. Im pretty willing to trade esp. if its your best and most favoritest idea, considering my indecision. You should post up your idea or send me a PM. BN and I should be able to hash stuff out tonight.

I think it would be a good idea for everyone to actually post what their first and second choices are here in the thread so that final decisions can be reached.

Ith, it's up to you. If you don't mind your fellow players seeing exactly what you put into your character, go ahead and post it, otherwise pm or e-mail me at theblueninja@gmail.com

So I have submitted two different versions of my ideal VARG ace. One is Norca the other Tek. Somewhat leaning to the Norca as first choice for several good roleplaying reasons. To be sure I need to wait until BN and I work out how such an idea works out mechanics wise to be sure. Put another way, I like EK better in many ways overall but BK might allow for an even more exotic idea than I intially thought. The other reason for EK would be I am already playing a shifter (latino no less) in Trans-D. Granted that the Trin Shifter would play out in game as the Mecha pilot way more...almost a departure Norca in many ways...On the other hand I really dig the balls to the wall concept I came up with for the EK, whereas the Norca is more of a kid, young, savant, prodigy but less seasoned in persoanlity, which does open the door for more growth, etc. etc. BN can tell you I tend to get like this when down to two favorites.

As an aside, there has been some concern about limiting us to separate aptitudes. I see what BN wants and its cool but consider that two psions can have the same aptitude and radically different modes and the persoanl ways they use them...If two people really want the same would it be terrible?

If someone is aching for either of my top two let me know. I should know by tommorow night which it will be for sure...

So I have submitted two different versions of my ideal VARG ace. One is Norca the other Tek. Somewhat leaning to the Norca as first choice for several good roleplaying reasons. To be sure I need to wait until BN and I work out how such an idea works out mechanics wise to be sure. Put another way, I like EK better in many ways overall but BK might allow for an even more exotic idea than I intially thought. The other reason for EK would be I am already playing a shifter (latino no less) in Trans-D. Granted that the Trin Shifter would play out in game as the Mecha pilot way more...almost a departure Norca in many ways...On the other hand I really dig the balls to the wall concept I came up with for the EK, whereas the Norca is more of a kid, young, savant, prodigy but less seasoned in persoanlity, which does open the door for more growth, etc. etc. BN can tell you I tend to get like this when down to two favorites.

As an aside, there has been some concern about limiting us to separate aptitudes. I see what BN wants and its cool but consider that two psions can have the same aptitude and radically different modes and the persoanl ways they use them...If two people really want the same would it be terrible?

If someone is aching for either of my top two let me know. I should know by tommorow night which it will be for sure...

I just got my character sheet done so I don't have BN's final approval of my character yet so I can't really talk about stats but I'd like to talk about ties for shared history or interactions.

My character Sgt Douglas Teage who is called T Rx or T Rex like the dino. was a strong latent with the first legion back in day. But always dreamed about going to space and being a fly boy. he had a few potental modes that he could have had developed when he was tested by the legion. Vitakinesis while not the worst was one of the worst. In his personel record with the legion a note was places suggesting he NOT be dipped RX however as a stoke of Bad Luck the file was corrupted and it was thought the note ment they suggested he be dipped RX. so after a bad accident which required magor medical care and him being sent to Europe anyway they had him dipped RX. One of the points of the character is that T RX has really bad luck not in any kind of way that effect die rolls hopefully just things never go his way. I short I'm hoping BN picks on him with the "What could go wrong?" or "Its not my fault" buttons. after he is dipped T Rx gets a transferr to the 7th legion where he finally gets his chance to be a Varg pilot and leave gravity. he is with the 7th until they put him on "leave" and loan him to the aeon for the start of game.

He's certianly not the kind of guy you would expect to be an RX he's not a medic of a doctor but as he has the mode so he can do the VK healing thing. which is always handy. oh and if If someone who is good at coming up with Varg stats could help me with that I'd be very thankful.

any thoughts?

Do you have the tech manual and the players guide? The tech manual VARGS are listed in several places as being about a 3 dot Device. The description of a 5 dot device allows for much more. What I do is take what is written and modify it or convert things from other games.

If you search for VARG on the forums there are several good threads with helpful suggestions also as well as some examples other players have come up with. I haven't worked mine out but will let you (and BN) know when I do.

Do you have the tech manual and the players guide? The tech manual VARGS are listed in several places as being about a 3 dot Device. The description of a 5 dot device allows for much more. What I do is take what is written and modify it or convert things from other games.

If you search for VARG on the forums there are several good threads with helpful suggestions also as well as some examples other players have come up with. I haven't worked mine out but will let you (and BN) know when I do.

I don't have the tech manual but I do have the players guide.

One of the points of the character is that T RX has really bad luck not in any kind of way that effect die rolls hopefully just things never go his way. I short I'm hoping BN picks on him with the "What could go wrong?" or "Its not my fault" buttons.
You want a character with Amber DRPG "Bad Stuff" then? ::devil

Grizz - since you've apparently never played it, there's a diceless RPG based off of the Amber series of books by Roger Zelazny. It's still point based, so if a character has 'extra' points left over, they have 'Good Stuff' which is like good luck and positive reactions from people. If they go a few hours into the hole, they have 'Bad Stuff' which is like bad luck and negative reactions from people.

Ah, now it makes sense ::wink ::devil

Did you get my e-mails with the Psi-powers? ::confused

If you think that we have too much Legionaires in this game I still can change the backgroundstory of my character, it´s still scetchy enough so that it wouldn´t hurt ::wink

Archived