Trinity RPG: Earth Surrounded - The Triple Threat

BlueNinja

Well, even though I lack Stellar Frontiers, I discovered that one of the people in my gaming group does have the Extrasolar Colonies splash book, so I'm reading through that, the Darkness series, and then the first Alien Invasion book. So I think I know almost enough to start a Trinity game too.

Who's interested? If I can get interest, then it'll be a party of psions, with the limitation that no two psions can share the same order, and no teleporters until I can get a copy of Stellar Frontiers (which might be a while). More details forthcoming depending on interest. I can't make the poll multiple choice, so pick which one you'd most want to play, and then list your second choice, and forum-battle to the death over who gets it. ::tongue :fencing: ::samurai

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I can scan you a copy of Frontiers Id probably want the teleporter but I am equally attracted to the Norca (whose E-Book I need to get...) or an Orgotek Varg Ace. Third tier would be a Legionairre or a Ministry Agent...

On further thought, Im already playing a latino shapeshifter (Norca are the "coolest" though..hehe)...and it looks like I may be soon joining Ba'alt as a warper/teleporter...

Alright! So I call dibs on Varg Ace! (Hmmm...teleporting varg ace...) :warp: :mach4b: ::devil

I'm in! Char details later. Are you digging free-style psi yet? ::tongue ::cool
I looked it over, got a good feel for it I think, and hell no. It's way too complicated for me to use it quickly and easily over the internet.

I looked it over, got a good feel for it I think, and hell no. It's way too complicated for me to use it quickly and easily over the internet.

Yeah, its like Mage rules for Psions...If you have the knowledge of a particular combination of (aptitudes/spheres) you can do pretty much anything...

What's the mission going to be like?

-physical setting

-team parameters (strike team? ops team? espionage team?)

-character experience (rank novices? seasoned experts?)

Something between Ops and Strike team ... the first mission will involve the team being on one of the first Leviathan jump ships sent to one of the colonies (haven't decided for sure which one; leaning towards either Far Nyumba if I can find more info on it, or Averguas) as representatives of Aeon Trinity. Characters will be starting as regular psions, with one free dot in Backing (Aeon) and one free Auxiliary mode.

What?!?!?!?!? Is no-one else interested in getting their trin freak on????

C'mon people!

Oh yeah and BN and I talked and the team will be on the first jump ship...So Upeo may not work. Id like either Upeo or Orgotek Varg Ace... ::happy

What?!?!?!?!? Is no-one else interested in getting their trin freak on????
Tonight or tomorrow, I'm going to post a request for players on nprime.net ... Does anyone know of any other Trinity/Aberrant fan forums where I could find players?

Well, three people is about the minimum I like to run a game, and since I've now gotten three responses (ISRA, Orgotek, and Norca) I'll post more details.

Your party are psions at least loosely associated with the Aeon Trinity, and have been assigned to the Mae de Ceu that will be reopening contact with the colony of Averiguas. You will be on board the frigate Mama Bear and your first assignment will be to assist the commander of the mission in re-establisting contact and negotiate any disagreements on the colony. If you're lucky, nothing will go wrong ... ::glare

Some information about the universe that differs from canon -- Since terraforming of Venus was begun in the 2010s, and disrupted during the Aberrant War, the planet is still not yet habitable. While some humans live there, the surface conditions are still too hot (averaging 85C) to go outside without protective respiratory gear. The orbit has been restabilized at 0.8 AU, and Venus is expected to be humanity-friendly in another thirty or forty years, and fully terraformed in a century. Mars, by contrast, is still cold and thin, but should be a fully-terraformed and comfortable world in those thirty to forty.

The Huang-Marr scandal has not broken in the slightest at the time the characters are leaving (7 Jan 2120), so psions should be quite surprised when they return to the Solar system to learn about these events.

The end of the Aberrant War ended with three bombings, not just one. While the first strike was directed at Bahrain, a cyberkinetic aberrant hacked into the system, and launched one of the Chinese's own anti-matter bombs at Singapore. Thanks to much faster tracking systems, they were able to neutralize the aberrant in question, at the expense of a three-mile wide crater south-east of Fresno, California.

The Karroo colony is in the Orion nebula (about 1070 LYs away) instead of the Crab nebula (6000 LYs away).

[edit] Averiguas is not orbiting a white dwarf, but the star Delta Pavonis, a yellow-orange star a little larger than Sol. [/edit]

Characters will be starting level psions. Merits and Flaws are allowed, pending GM approval. All characters will start with one free Auxiliary mode from any of the modes in the main Trinity book. (Quantikinesis modes are banned because I don't want to deal with them; Teleportation modes are only banned because I don't have Stellar Frontiers.) However, buying new Auxiliary Modes in play will cost 12 XP instead of 10. All characters will start with one free dot in Status (Aeon); the character with the highest Status (not to exceed 4 dots) will be in charge of the party, in case of a tie, the PC with the highest Command die pool wins. While you will be witnessing the canon plot events taking place around you, your party will not be involved in them. While your first mission will take place on Averiguas, future missions will be taking place in more close-to-home spots.

I apologize for not having an Excel character sheet for Trinity, but I didn't bring a PDF copy of it with me to work, and I know that a number of the abilities and backgrounds are very different between Aberrant and Trinity. I will rectify this shortly, but if you already have a character ready, just write it out and send it to me via PM or theblueninja@gmail.com

Character sheet will be ready soon. I just need to check some things when I return home in a couple days. Since you mentioned the free auxillary mode, I had actually planned on having my Tek use a dot of Warping (one of the three port modes.) Because of this I am going to work on getting you that copy of Upeo. Merry Christmas. ::xmas

Quick question for the ST:

Are we sticking with the published 7 point max of flaws or updating to 10 like the rest of the line? I take it the free aux mode is in lieu of starting with xp no?

I'll let you try up to ten, but that's up to how well I think it'll fit the character. Be prepared for me to smack your character with a book and say "Bad puppy!"

I just noticed that in the Trin chargen guidlines it says that you may not start with abilities higher than 3. In the other games this can be raised with bonus points but if interpreted literally in Trin you may not.

Whats your woerd on this oh Cerulean Shinobi?

BlueLion...BlueNinja...Could there be a connection?

I just noticed that in the Trin chargen guidlines it says that you may not start with abilities higher than 3. In the other games this can be raised with bonus points but if interpreted literally in Trin you may not.,,

Whats your woerd on this oh Cerulean Shinobi?

You can get them higher than three with bonus points. You can't get them higher than that with your starting points.
BlueLion...BlueNinja...Could there be a connection?
Not that I'm aware of.

That would be me :) Hi, My name is Skylar. Someone posted about this on LJ so I decided to chech it out. I havn't player trinity in years much to my dismay.

Welcome BlueLion! What is LJ?

And to everyone else for the record, BlueLion is not the offspring of myself and BluNinja... ::tongue

A question for my fellow Trinfreaks on our Aeon mission parameters:

I asked BN about this via PM and he told me to put it to you so I will. My fav char concept has been the VARG ace. Top fav aptitudes are EK and Teleport, and while I lean heavily towards orgotek it doesn't have to be so. Here is what I asked BN:

Regarding my concept itself. Do you think it will fit in with the group? Since we are going to be on the leviathan and we know we have an ISRAn (the leviathan clear navigator?) a Norca and perhaps a legionaire. How are we going to work as a team if Im in my Mecha, and the others are on the ship?

Any suggestions on how to work with this???

I wasn't planning on being the leviathon pilot. They are generally the best of the best among clear pilots (there couldn't be more than 6-10 of them after all) and a starting level character wouldn't reflect that. If I was the pilot I don't think they would ever let me off the ship, cause if anything happened to me we'd all be stuck.

That said, I'm considering a pilot, but of a small craft that we could land in or maybe the Mama Bear. Toss up between that and something completely different, maybe a Qaddiya or Ductran type. I haven't decided yet. While we are on the subject, BN, how would that fit in? Averiguas is a colony with no known major enemies. The problem is civil unrest and rebellion. So unless a varg or fighter pilot was intended for industrial use somehow, just having them along might look like a hostile gesture. Like we planned ahead to mow down some terrafarmers. My question is do you see opportunity for use of a VARG or fighter craft in this storyline?

LJ = Live Journal. I think Phoenix posted on there.

I wasn't planning on being the leviathon pilot. They are generally the best of the best among clear pilots (there couldn't be more than 6-10 of them after all) and a starting level character wouldn't reflect that. If I was the pilot I don't think they would ever let me off the ship, cause if anything happened to me we'd all be stuck.
You might pick up some useful training, but no, you're not powerful enough at starting level to pilot a Leviathan. Plus no, they wouldn't let you out.
That said, I'm considering a pilot, but of a small craft that we could land in or maybe the Mama Bear. Toss up between that and something completely different, maybe a Qaddiya or Ductran type. I haven't decided yet. While we are on the subject, BN, how would that fit in? Averiguas is a colony with no known major enemies. The problem is civil unrest and rebellion. So unless a varg or fighter pilot was intended for industrial use somehow, just having them along might look like a hostile gesture. Like we planned ahead to mow down some terrafarmers. My question is do you see opportunity for use of a VARG or fighter craft in this storyline?
On Averiguas? Probably not - the worst of the disagreements only breaks out into bar fights. However, you might find the threat of a VARG or a fighter useful. But while you will be on Averiguas for a storyline or two (prolly about 20xp) you won't be remaining there. Besides, VARGs have uses other than combat. So do fighter craft. You could be the pilot of one of the fighters or transports that belong to the Leviathan, or an assistant/trainee on the Mama Bear.

Also, you mean they had no known enemies when the Upeo vanished. That was five and a half years ago.

Are we going to be rank and file psions or an elite attached squad? Or something in-between?
You are the squad. Technically, you're supposed to follow the orders of the mission commander (Vargas), but you'll also have some specific orders from your superiors at Aeon to complete as well. You can draw on some of the resources of the Leviathan and the mission, but like most Aeon field agents, you'll be expected to be as self-sufficient as possible.

Welcome BlueLion! What is LJ?

And to everyone else for the record, BlueLion is not the offspring of myself and BluNinja... ::tongue

A question for my fellow Trinfreaks on our Aeon mission parameters:

I asked BN about this via PM and he told me to put it to you so I will. My fav char concept has been the VARG ace. Top fav aptitudes are EK and Teleport, and while I lean heavily towards orgotek it doesn't have to be so. Here is what I asked BN:

Any suggestions on how to work with this???

LJ is short for Livejournal which is a Bloging website. There are trinity realted groups on it.

As for character stuff. I was thiniking of playing someone who is more socially supportive. A former Legion Psion with a persoanlity somewhat like Jayne from Firefly. I kinda also wanted to do the Varg thing but I wouldn't want to steal anyone elses thunder.

As for character stuff. I was thiniking of playing someone who is more socially supportive. A former Legion Psion with a persoanlity somewhat like Jayne from Firefly. I kinda also wanted to do the Varg thing but I wouldn't want to steal anyone elses thunder.

Question for clarification:

Since your allegiance doesn't neccessarily dictate your aptitudes, would you be an actual psychokinetic legionaire or one who has a different aptitude who joined the legions?

As for being a VARG pilot as well, I don't have to be the only one. In fact it could be cool on a couple fronts. 1. We could be wingmen.

2. If Im a Tek and you're a legionaire we already have a built in friendly rivalry, something I would relish.

3. Or for a different sort of dynamic we could have been from one of the joint legion/orgotek strike teams, regarded by all sides as the baddest, toughest, hardest mo-fuggin squads there are...heh. ::sly

Question for clarification:

Since your allegiance doesn't neccessarily dictate your aptitudes, would you be an actual psychokinetic legionaire or one who has a different aptitude who joined the legions?

As for being a VARG pilot as well, I don't have to be the only one. In fact it could be cool on a couple fronts. 1. We could be wingmen.

2. If Im a Tek and you're a legionaire we already have a built in friendly rivalry, something I would relish.

3. Or for a different sort of dynamic we could have been from one of the joint legion/orgotek strike teams, regarded by all sides as the baddest, toughest, hardest mo-fuggin squads there are...heh. ::sly

Cool I like the idea of being wingmen, with a freindly rivalry. Beinng regarded as univarsally badass might be hard with starting chargen.

I was thinking ether Psychokinetic or Vitakinetic cuase being able to heal the damage on a biovarg mid fight is a good thing :) with an aux mode in Clair.

Cool I like the idea of being wingmen, with a freindly rivalry. Beinng regarded as univarsally badass might be hard with starting chargen.

It can be done...you just have to want it!

Remember that the device background makes your VARG unique and custom as per the description in the TPG.

I was thinking ether Psychokinetic or Vitakinetic cause being able to heal the damage on a biovarg mid fight is a good thing :) with an aux mode in Clair.

You know...I hadn't thought of that. Thats a damn good idea! I know we could use a healer.

You know...I hadn't thought of that. Thats a damn good idea! I know we could use a healer.
So, does that mean he's a PK, or a rex?

Anyway, I think I've got a decent looking Excel sheet ready. It has all the skills from the core book and the Trin PG and a few more that you might find useful. For your modes, only list the ones you have bought with your starting and bonus points, then the rest can be filled in as they're purchased with XP.

... hmm, apparently I can't upload straight Excel files. So it's just zipped.

[attachmentid=29]

I think he means he was triggered as a rex but claims allegiance with the Legions. (Not uncommon.)
Yes, I just want to know which Aptitude he's talking about, because I only want one of each until we're up to at least six players.

I'm currently working on a 'local' (ie, 30 light year radius) star map. I'm not listing everything (because that's well over a hundred stars) but I will be listing for sure all of the named stars (like Tau Ceti and Altair) and all the yellow-orange stars that have a good chance of producing life, and all of the colonies. (Colonies not on the map will just be pointed out.) This is important because other than Khantze Lu Ge, I've moved the location of all of the extra-solar colonies, mostly so that I can put them on one map, and partly because having the colonies closer together in real distance might tie into the plot, I haven't decided for sure yet.

I'm currently working on a 'local' (ie, 30 light year radius) star map. I'm not listing everything (because that's well over a hundred stars) but I will be listing for sure all of the named stars (like Tau Ceti and Altair) and all the yellow-orange stars that have a good chance of producing life, and all of the colonies. (Colonies not on the map will just be pointed out.) This is important because other than Khantze Lu Ge, I've moved the location of all of the extra-solar colonies, mostly so that I can put them on one map, and partly because having the colonies closer together in real distance might tie into the plot, I haven't decided for sure yet.

Well by using the tesser jumpships or teleportation distance doesn't matter. Therefore colonies could be randomly strewn far and wide wherever the clears can find them...

Well by using the tesser jumpships or teleportation distance doesn't matter. Therefore colonies could be randomly strewn far and wide wherever the clears can find them...

Even with the Tesser engines, the further away a colony is, the longer it takes to get there - it's just a miniscule fraction of light speed. So by moving the colonies closer, it takes days instead of weeks to get there.

Even with the Tesser engines, the further away a colony is, the longer it takes to get there - it's just a miniscule fraction of light speed. So by moving the colonies closer, it takes days instead of weeks to get there.

I was under the impression (from Stellar Frontiers) that to a teleporter, everything is here or far. Traveling is practically instantaneous (depending on skill 5 turns down to 0) The jumpships are supposed to be inferior to a true teleporter, despite their amazing size and complexity. Just as a suggestion, consider letting there be weeks of travel time to allow for IC "downtime, kibitzing, resting, experience etc...

Archived