Adventure!: In Search of Inspiration - Linguistics in the roaring 20's

I was thinking about this earlier today. In earlier times (meaning more along the lines of the early Renasaince and Industrial ages) people who spoke more than one language usually spoke several languages fluently - sometimes a dozen or more! So I noticed the optional rule in the Trinity Player's Guide that higher levels of Linguistics allow the player to learn more than one extra language (page 113) maxing out at 12 languages.

So would you folks like to use that optional rule (with Linguistic Mastery being 16 languages) rather than the base? It'll work the same as in the TPG - you'll have to use up an extra language 'slot' for anything beyond just speaking and reading the language, and the language slots will be bought separately with experience, making it different from other abilities.

I voted yes if only because I know several people that speak five or six languages and by no means are they world linguistic experts. Based on core rules it'd be impossible for someone to learn more than 6 languages.

By no means is multilingualism especially uncommon outside of the English world. My ex in Colombia speaks Spanish, Portuguese, English, French, German and a little italian. Based on core rules that'd probably be 4 dots. One of my German friends speaks German, French, English, italian and some dutch. Someone in Taiwan I know speaks: Taiwanese, Mandarin, Cantonese, French, English and Spanish. The girl that presented with me last week also spoke French, English, German, Spanish and Portuguese.

Someone who specializes in languages and learns ten or twelve of them? Can't...not based on core rules...

I voted yes because it is appropriate to the world-spanning nature of pulp adventures.

In the WoD games the dots are like this:

extra languages:

1: 1 student

2: 2 college

3: 4 masters

4:8 doctorate

5:16 scholar (and true polyglot)

IRL there are polyglots that speak that many languages and the game system model should reflect that.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the above points, I mean come on, I can speak four languages, if you count the scandinavian languages (norwegian, swedish, danish) as one and six if we dont, and I know next to nothing about linguistics and I certainly does not have three dots in linguistics.

Archived