Aberrant: Trans-Dimensional Explorations - Nova appetite

Since this was brought up in the OOC thread, it got me to thinking...what is the actual amount of food an average nova would consume?

I checked the color section of the main book, and in the bit where Kikjak is on the talk show, the doctor with him specifies that novas generally eat 10 times as much food as a baseline, if not more.

So, I think I came up with a reasonable approximation of how much novas would eat.

Let's say the average caloric intake for an adult baseline male is supposed to be around 2000 calories. If we use the lowest factor(for convenience's sake), we can say that an adult nova male is supposed to intake around 20,000 calories.

Females are slightly smaller, I believe the average for a baseline adult female is supposed to be around 1400 calories per day. So we can then say an adult female nova should consume around 14,000 calories.

Now, Wish and I got to talking about it, and she said that it only makes sense that, in the Aberrant world, there would be nova-specific foods, with much higher calorie counts.

In the real world, manufacturers try to reduce calories...but if there were novas who didn't have to worry about weight gain, and actually wanted those extra calories, we thought it would be pretty easy to have candy bars with 2,000 calories, or MRE's with say...5,000 to 7,000 calories apiece.

Obivously, most food would still be aimed at baseline portions, simply because there are more baselines in the world. But, it's not a stretch to think that at least some manufacturers would have nova-specific offerings.

What do you all think?

...Now, Wish and I got to talking about it, and she said that it only makes sense that, in the Aberrant world, there would be nova-specific foods, with much higher calorie counts.

In the real world, manufacturers try to reduce calories...but if there were novas who didn't have to worry about weight gain, and actually wanted those extra calories, we thought it would be pretty easy to have candy bars with 2,000 calories, or MRE's with say...5,000 to 7,000 calories apiece.

Obivously, most food would still be aimed at baseline portions, simply because there are more baselines in the world. But, it's not a stretch to think that at least some manufacturers would have nova-specific offerings.

What do you all think?

Bigger appetites/faster metabolisms need more food. A group of hungry Novas would bankrupt an all-you-can-eat place. There's got to be Nova food.

Bigger appetites/faster metabolisms need more food. A group of hungry Novas would bankrupt an all-you-can-eat place. There's got to be Nova food.
The tabletop group I play Aberrant with sort of went with 2x -3x the amount of food a baseline eats, because more than that is just ridiculous, and prohibitively expensive. (If I had to eat 10x the amount of food, that would take half my monthly pay right there - and while some novas can afford to drop $250 a week on food, not all of them can.) I run it the same way. If you haven't been exerting yourself, then you need about twice as much food. If you've been pushing yourself and burning lots of quantum recently, you might peak as high as four times (or if you've been burning a lot of points into Regenerate for sure).

Novas with Adaptability don't need to eat, but it'd be pretty unusual to find one that doesn't want to eat. Novas with mega-stamina can go for a little while without eating at all (about a day per dot) but after that, while they don't suffer physically, they do start losing quantum regeneration.

As for Nova-specific food, we've joked in our groups about certain places marketting "New Nova size - perfect for the whole family!" Plus there's always Star Lords, which does in fact have a location in Fresno, which lets novas eat for free - you just have to put up with the wanna-bes, the press, and their own requests for autographs, items, photographs, etc.

--Edit--

My concept for Esteban is that he never needs to eat or drink (except while dormed, which, given his abilities he is loathe to do) . Imagine the freedom if you never had to eat, breathe, sleep or even rest at all! Of course his heightened senses mean that he certainly does enjoy eating, though if he bothers it had better be gourmet and with the finest ingredients. Aside from Yerba Mate (which he makes and drinks as a matter of habit and comfort) he eats mostly as a social affair, when entertaining potential clients and attractive young ladies.

something I found that might help and keeps well is survival food tabs.

You get a bottle of 180 tablets, which works out as 12 tablets a day for 15 days.

Each tablet is 20 calories and tastes like a malt ball. 12 tablets give you 240 calories plus all the minerals and vitamins you need and the bottle will fit in a bdu pocket. They even give you a plastic bag to hold the tablets so you can then reuse the bottle as a canteen.

These plus the mres at mealtimes or Brandt's freezedried backpacker's food should be enough to get us through the day.

• 1 month later...

Hmm!!

I read trough this and took a look into the Core Book and the APG. The only remark about novasize appetite I was able to find was that thing with Skipjak. ::confused

But then there was another point about "nova-health". Without juice a nova looks plain, many powers that doesn´t need juice won´t function etc.

All these leads me to a point where I think that we all might have got it wrong a little bit. If you take those remarks by, and about Skipjak as a exception, perhaps he´s just a gluton with the corresponding powers to consume that much, there isn´t much that says that novas need that much food. ::devil

Remember, novas doesn´t need to eat at all when they have Adapatability an at least one Point of juice, and all novas regenerate juice without eating.

So, do Novas really have to eat those piles of food?????

Just an idea. ::devil

Archived