Adventure!: In Search of Inspiration - Welcome to the Aeon Society

BlueNinja

Like I said, go rent the Shadow. Its one of my fav pulp movies and probably my favorite pulp character period. "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows..." ::devil ::ultracool

I agree we should round table with BN so that we get the feel right. We need to be able to mesh...

The other thing I might add (reference A! page 218) is that pulp is specifically not camp. Under the description of what pulp is describes it as morally forthright (though sometimes grey), political, crime-ridden, and that "horror and worldwide adventure often went hand-in-hand in pulp stories."

Also Zeke, your idea of swashbuckiling fits perfectly for a daredevil!!!! :fencing:

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not saying characters should become jokes with lines such as "Shop smart, shop S-Mart." Even Indiana Jones had its "dark" episode...But even so, Indiana Jones never started needlessly killing people or bashing people to a pulp. When he killed nazis or cultists they were defacto "evil" people and fell in the goon category. Same with the Shadow, there was no moral ambiguity at all, the villains were evil and had to be stopped.

jeez!!!...I didn't say I'd kill the poor bastards. He would leave them lying battered in the gutter, alive to spread legends of supernatural power to all the superstitious and fearful elements of the cities seedy underbelly...

...in classic beat-em-up two-fisted pulp tradition, only his fists come from his mind, rather than muscles... ::happy

So Zeke, what are your preferences?

And Madcat! Id love to hear more about your character...

*Taps foot while glaring at Pheonix's paypal account.* ::glare

*Taps foot while glaring at Pheonix's paypal account.*
Man don't even talk to me.. I walked to the bank today, and it turns out I registered using the wrong routing number this time - there are two, and the right one is hidden. It's like the frigging DaVinci code! ::brick Don't worry, though, you only need four numbers to register. I've had to ask them for three already, and the last one is my Social Security number, so if I still can't do it after this - well, let's just say you don't want to play Adventure! with me. ::rolleyes

Well, like I told BN, my fav pulp movie/character is The Shadow. The reason for this is that I love the exotic, mystical, fu-manchu, lost-world kind of stuff...In the pulp era, exploration was still new. There was still that sense of unknown and wonder that just over the horizon, dinosaurs might still roam the trackless jungless and the abyss of the deep!

What are your favorite elemnts of pulp. What do you like and what would you like to see?

BN told me he has ideas for about 5 stories so far and the more we brainstorm, the more I think he will be able to pick out and be Indpired by! ::cool

You had better play Adventure! with us Phoenix! ::angry ::sly ::huh

::tongue

I'm totally playing! I'm on fire for this game! I'm just on hold for a while because of certain banking-related circumstances.

I also finished my last final exam this morning, so I'm free as a bird now.. ::ultracool

I'm not too fussy, I used to read my grandfather's collection on the crapper when I was a kid so I've read quite a bit of stuff (mostly French, like Bob Morane or Thorgal, not american) I'm not too fussy, while Lupin is definitely more of an urbanite, at least his linguistic skills and possibly his knowledge of the arts (as in paintings and sculptures) could be handy in deep explorations..

I sure hope someone's got survival skills or comes from the French legion or something

*looks at phoenix* ::wink

Well, this is my public backstory (might change).

Henrich Stahlfaust

Henrich Stahlfaust where the newest genious that the Stahlfaust family had produced. He grew up in a german castle on top of a mountain, spending allmost all his time inside, thanks to a frail constitution and a reoccuring cough.

During his self-incarceration he spent most of his time drawing and reading, making numerous blue-prints and inventing even more, stranger contraptions. When he turned 16 he where finaly able to leave Castle Stahlstein due to a healthy recovery, traveling around the globe. During this time he bought and outfitted Brunhilde, his Zeppline and pride. During a travel through africa his crew abandoned him, and he trained a group of monkeys as crewmembers insted.

Family Stahlfaust

A rather infamous family of german scientists, its said that half of them are geniouses and all of them are mad. They credit themselfs with the creation of the Cuckoo clock, claiming that Franz Ketterer stole the design from them, what is the truth is unknown.

The Monkeys

Henrich's closest friends are a group of trained monkeys and his butler silverback gorilla, Rembrandt. The monkeys are all named after famous artists, inventors or philosophical thinkers.

I dont relay know how I will play him, but I think he will be a rather comical figure, shifting between being an excentrick maniac (in a comical way, not stupidly, for example starting to rant about his latest invention during a car-chase) and being a rather depressed genious (at the strangest of times preferably). In other words, moodswings a plenty

Okies, I have characters from SkyLion, 'zeke, and Madcat. Other than some minor changes (some of which I have to double check to make sure I'm fixing and not 'fixing') you're all good to go.

Phoenix, I'm going to wait on you to start the action. I want everyone in the same place. ::devil (Also, since you're the only one who hasn't submitted a PC, bumping your backing up to two means you can order everyone else around. ::happy )

REMBRANT ze dumpkoffen monkey, get ze other monkeyz in line...

*low roar from the gorilla*

What? Dumpkoffen, of courze you are monkey, ztupid animal, prehapz you prefer to be donkey?

*another low roar*

Verboten Verboten, sie bist eine gorille. now get ze verdante monkeyz into ze cages...

I'm sorry - I think you guys should start without me. DriveThruRPG.com won't take PayPal without a credit card, neither will Amazon, my bank is being minimally cooperative, money order seems out of the question, and I'm running out of ideas. I'll get the book over the summer if I get the chance, but I don't really want to throw myself into the scene without it. ::brick

This is getting rediculous dude. Pheonix, if you want I'll just get you a gift certificate for drive-thru. No need to thank me. ::closedeyes You can get me back for Ab:Underworld or one of the trin books Im missing, once you finally get it to work. How does that sound?

Ezekiel helped me work it out. Check your Gmail, I sent you a character sheet and prologue. Sorry about my absence, all, I've been visiting my grandparents, who spend odd hours sleeping in the computer room and don't have good Internet access anyway..

And yes, I'm a guy. I guess I didn't make that clear enough by spending years roleplaying futuristic gun-bunnies and superpowered killing machines.. Plus Blue emails with me, so he knows my real name is Ben. ::tongue

For all A! dventur-ers...As I have developed my character concept, it has become more and more clear that I am going to have to share my secrets with the party. The shadowy vigilante of course, does not work well in a social medium...

Therefore! I have decided to post up a dramatic narrative of his Origins and methodology. I would very much appreciate feedback from the group and ideas on how we may be connected before we get in-game (if anyone wants to that is...) For example, perhaps Zekes and my character met on a rooftop or in a dark alley while out moonlighting... Or perhaps the Madcat Scientist helped my resource laden character develop his swanky armor duds...

Mega post to follow. Please stand by...

For years the Ubiquitous Dragon had waited, quietly taking control
of Asia's underworld and meditating in the hidden crystal cave.
There he listened to the ley lines, the geomantic pulse of the
Earth. Soon the levels of qi would rise to levels not seen for
aeons past...
One fateful night the dragon roads surged once more and the
Ubiquitous One stirred amongst his coils...
April of 1923
a new sensation has swept the western world:

***Li-Shen Long***
*******Sorcerer Extraordinaire!******
****Master of the Mystic Arts!****
**Wielder of Eldritch Forces**
******Lord of Beasts!******
*********One Night Only*********
***Arriving Soon!***

...A magic show unlike any the world has seen! Decades ahead of it's time!

Combining traditinal forms of illusion, cutting edge production design, pyrotechnics, chinese theatre,enormous bengal tigers and a masterful sense of mystery and showmanship
has allowed Shen-Li to become an overnight sensation. The fact that no
one knows anything about him or where he came from has only added to his mystique. He is never announced. One night his private train, The Silk Road quietly rolls into town, dispatching hired locals to advertise in elite speakeasies. Despite the level of sophistication, he plays to surprisingly small audiences, usually no more than one or two hundred very wealthy patrons... Because of this his reputation is spreading like wildfire through the underground social networks of the Americas and Europe. He has yet to truly break onto the mainstream, but prefers it this way. Mystery. Theatrics. Misdirection.

But Who is he really? And what are his secrets? Those demons that drive him deep into the shadows of the night, to face what he has become...

To find out, we go travel back through time and space...

INDIA
The Turn of the Century!

Victor Duranjaya Ravensdale was born on New Years Day, the year 1900, to proud parents Geoffrey and Surya Ravensdale. Geoffrey, a prominent manager for the East India Trading Company, fell in love with the country and one of its maidens.

Young Victor was a normal boy, happy and hardworking and he excelled
in his studies. When his parents took him to see the amazing Harry
Houdini at age 13, he left the theatre wide-eyed with dreams of the stage. He
fell in love with magic and ecapology and declared he would dedicate
himself to the life of a performer. This did not please his father
at all, who expected him to become a banker and inherit his legacy
with the Company. As he grew older he also grew more willful and
found more and more clandestine ways to practice his arts..
When Geoffrey discovered that his son had been performing in secret
at the local vaudeville he became furious to the point of blows.
Victor fled into the rain, vowing that he would return when he was
successful...

Burma
The Lost Valley of The Mulian Kings!:

...Exiled from his familie's vast fortune, the vaudville provided him with a means to live while he dreamed of grander stages.
One foreboding night, after a show, a strange Oriental appeared,
offering promises of fame, fortune and power. This man was none other than an agent
of the Ubiquitous Dragon, sent out to kidnap those with strong Qi (Telluric) latency for his malfeasant experiments. Victor was held captive for a year, hidden in the jungles of Burma. During that time, he was subjected to torture, foul alchemical concoctions, and intense psychological conditioning designed to produce a loyal and fanatical minion. They used advanced Accupuncture and Meridian Science to augment his nervous system, granting him huge advances in proccesing, reaction, and speed. Master brainwashers attempted to convince him that his life before was a
dream, a halucination. It would've worked on someone with a lesser will, but not Victor. He locked himself deep inside and waited for his opportunity to escape.

One day, of the countless agonizing days, he was brought to a cave deep in the Earth where the crystals lining the walls pulsed and glowed with their own light and
the air had a palpable charge. Before him stood The Dragon himself, next to an elaborate throne carved from the crystal chamber. In the cavern cieling above an ornate golden eye was shut, set into the crystal itself .
The Dragon informed him that this was the Chamber of Seasons, a Siege Perilous that he must pass through, that he was finnaly ready to accept the mystic power of the Earth Dragons and that now his destiny could be only
divinity or death...

The Crystal Cave
The God Eye in The Chamber of Seasons!:

He was strapped into the throne and the entourage left the room. The
charge in the air increased, turning into an audible hum. It built
and built until the sound was a roar unlike any ever heard by man. Just when it threatened to drive him mad, an ocean away, Calvin Hammersmith's machine exploded, not the cause of the surge in Z-waves as previously thought but an unfortunate side effect of the planets cyclical surging. Some would heed this siren's call more closely than others in the coming decades... At this precise moment, the Eye of God opened,unleashing a bolt like blazing sunlight hitting Victor and the
throne square, reflecting and amplifying the light until the cave glowed brighter than a star. Victor screamed in agony as the energies of the cave continued to amplify and tear through his psyche, wracking his mind, body, and soul with pure Telluric Energy. The world was fire. and pain.
Victor felt his lifeforce growing dim...the oblivion of death called at him, promising cool release from the unending fire. "NO!"
His mind surged and rebelled...this wouldn't be the end! With a
scream, a psychic bubble of force, perfectly round expanded around
him, shattering the crystals and the portal above him. The light of
the cave vanished, replaced by a glowing form with four arms and
lightning eyes! The changed Victor smashed his way free, past the
Dragons minnions and confronted his captor. Enraged he lifted the
crimelord into the air and with a last scream crushed him into a
ball.

The Temple of The Tiger Lord
Mystic Revelations in the Valley of Kings!:

His light vanished with his rage and it took him a day to find his
way to the surface. Before him was a vast expanse of jungle in an
unfamiliar land. After wandering lost for a month he came upon the
ruins of massive temple now taken over by the jungles. Gold still
adorned the crumbling stone walls and the great statues now lying in
various states of wholeness. His marveling was cut short however,
by the growl of some huge terrible beast. Like a living shadow it
slipped from the darkness, the largest tiger man has ever seen, with
an obsidian coat and glowing blood red eyes. The demon-cat leaped,
jaws held wide for a killing bite. Instinctively, Victor reached
out with his thoughts and blocked the attack. This surprise enraged
the beast and they fought day and night, until both were spent, drained of their
inspiration and willpower. As he stared into the eyes of this small
creature, the Great Tiger saw a will that matched his own. He knew
then that it was no accident that led the stranger here but that
their Dharmas were intertwined. Destiny had brought them together.

When the tellurian had evoked Inspiration forth once more,he had been struck, changed, and in that moment remembered a past life, nearly 3500 years ago. At that moment a psychic bond connected the two ancient Kings. They had become one with the incarnate spirits of Vishnu and Shiva, Thoth and Horus, both preserver and destroyer.

Victor stayed in the lost world for nearly a year, sharing memories with the Great Tiger. They could both feel it...the wellsprings of wonder had returned again to the world, but dark forces already martialed against freedom and destiny and a secret taint began to uncoil... They knew that the lost world would not remain lost forever and that there were some who, knowingly or not, sought to crush the ancient energies of the Earth upon an anvil of corruption. They could remain hidden no longer. The time was ripe for action and the Great War had shown that the problems of one nation are truly the problems of the world. The symbiot circle of humanity had begun to dawn upon the minds of men...

The Mask of Ravana
Reviving the Ancient Legends!:

It was during this time that the plan was hatched. He knew that powerful forces of light were marshalling in the west, but not the form it would take. A way must be paved for them to have the freedom of action they needed while still keeping a low profile.

The key was the valley itself, in actuality a Nexus site built by the people of Mu, ancient when Atlantis was young.

The whole valley acted as a Telluric resonating dish, the massive crystal and gold Totems focusing all of the energy into the Central Temple, their home. This created a powerful shroud and the heightened z-waves have goblinized many of the local creatures into their fantastical counterparts. Their are some bird like feathered raptors and some larger Carnisours also in stages of avian transition.

The temple itself held a powerful artifact, a blessing from the ancient and alien technologies that built this place. A Mask imbued with a powerful Spirit Guardian, that when activated takes on the aspect of a living demon, with rough red reptilian skin and glowing points of flickering balefire for eyes.

The mask has a life-force of sorts and bonds to the wearer, engulfing his skull. He would use this powerful artifact to strike at the very dark heart of corruption now spreading through the West. They would strike fear into men as Ravana, the demon-king and lord of the Rakshasa demons, of whom Asura was happy to represent.

He had them both outfitted in truly advanced high tech armor, designed to intimidate the enemy and ornately disguised to evoke the sense of an avenging wraith, they create the beginnings of their Shadow War.

Asura recieved a truly fearsome demonic disguise as well inthe form of bladed battle armor with scissor like knives clamping shut around the jaws. An organic saddle looking to be made of metal human skulls is integrated into the barding.

But its their Nemisis and its allies were everywhere, and they were but two. Asura rallied his three greatest tiger-generals to accompny them on their vigilant quest. At the same time, Li used gold and crystal from the hidden valley to become a veritable modern-day Count of Monte Cristo, buying the best plastic surgereon he could find and setting himself up to be the greatest performer the world has ever seen!

The Master Magician
A New Identity for a new world!:

...From out of nowhere, Li-Shen made his debut on the World Stage! Word of mouth travels quickly through Europe, paving the way for a grand entrance in Manhattan.

Shortly thereafter, he recieved a call from none other than his childhood idol, Harry Houdini. The excitement vanished once Li realized that his inspiration had arrived not to greet him as a comrade and artist, but to debunk him for media gloating bravado..

In a famous turnabout, Li-Shen confounded the skeptic at every step. He challenged Harry to come up with a truly inescapable deathtrap, one built without his now widely published tricks. People were stunned whenLi-Shen emerged unharmed and Houdini ate humble pie over the wireless telegraph...

The Plot Thickens
en route to Chicago...

One month later, in July, the mysterious magician recieves a note to attend the formation of a grand society of pioneers in America, along with first class passage on a ship to Chicago. *This was it...the sign they had been waiting for!* Quickly and quietly, they made their preparations...

Far away, the not-so-deceased True Dragon found many of his operations being wiped out by a mysterious force. Survivors lived to blather incoherently about gods of death and demon beasts. It
would seem, mused the Coiled One, that he had a new Nemisis...

So what do you guys think???

Cool! ::thumbup

Lupin isn't really the type to prowl in dark alleys; more castles and mansions (He doesn't steal from just anyone, he no criminal! ::wink ) I think the best bet would be to have met on the boat across.

::thumbup1 Well, you already know what I think, there aren't enough letters in the word "yes".

With my character as he is now, I can't really meet any other character except in an Aeon Society context - I don't want to elaborate until I get the OK from BlueNinja. However, I am planning to take the Ubiquitous Dragon as a Nemesis - our characters might make fast friends.

Oh well...I made it all public b/c I I realized that even though batman is a great member of the JLA, he tends to diappear alot...

speaking of which: CLICKME!!!!!!!!!

But ya know what? I like it better that our characters should meet on the boat...in our genteel aspects. Though he doesn't necessarily always operate in the dark alleyways of crimeland, he isn't above creating multiple identities and joining Lupin IV (?) on some Robber Baron Capery. Actually I first envisioned him like Kang the Conquerer, who creates multiple armored identities in different worlds/times.

I should let you know Pheonix that I changed my mind (with BN's sense-making persuasion (made rapport roll)) so that instead of starting with a 5 dot Nemises he will start with a 1 dot Nemisis (+6 dots of related flaws) to represent the burgeoning conflict. It just sounds more fun to buy it up in game and the xp cost for backgrounds is very reasonable.

I look forward to skinning snakes with you P.

I have a feeling that MadCat is going to steal ze show...

Lupin isn't really the type to prowl in dark alleys; more castles and mansions (He doesn't steal from just anyone, he no criminal! ::wink ) I think the best bet would be to have met on the boat across.
Boat? You guys are arriving in style - first class zepplin to the Chicago airfield.

The Mulian Proto-Culture Tri-Force

How it came to pass...

Pre-History:,,
150,000 years ago, Gods walked the Earth.

Ancient Hindu text speaks of Ravana, the demon-King and his war against the Devas. In these ancient tales, ships of light fill the sky, reputed to have technology to equal magic. While the truth is shrouded in the feverish dreams of man, the ancient civilization of MU did not leave entirely without a trace. Their descendants travelled out, influencing the later civilizations of Lemuria and Atlantis. Over time as that mystic potential waned, more and more of reality dissappeared behind the obfuscating mists of reason.

The descendants of MU took their sorcery deep into the Asian-Pacific Rim, spreading out to form the more recent proto-civilizations of Mesopotamia, in truth devolutions far from the original grace of Earthly culture. Once such group of Mulians settled in a place half forgotten in Telluric Mists. A Valley of the Mulian Kings and stronghold of the proto-culture. This valley, actually more of a massive mound enclosed sinkhole, remains arcane to the outside world, partly from the Obscuring aetheric mists and because the Telluric levels on the planet have not yet saturated to a strong enough level for The Temple to anchor it completely on our Plane.

Tapping the Proto-Culture:,,

The Ancient Hindus had tapped into an inkling of the alien magic/tech. It was responsive to Consciousness in a way not to be understood for Aeons. In that time there were three brothers, said to be chosen vessels of the Gods. Incarnate Pheonix, Tiger, and Dragon they ruled over their respective domains, until somehow corruption entered the equation and the dragon fell from his noble station. The three have moved through Time, manifesting through the ages, struggling to find an equilibrium again on the Great Wheel of Time.

The Trinity:

At the moment of the Quantum Surge that triggered the Hammersmith Incident, These three spirits awakened to their ancient calling and entered the bodies of three suitable vessels. One, a Dragon chosen to rot the heart of the World-Tree. One, The King of Cats, manifested as Shivas Wrath and the Midnight Protector of Surya's Face (The Sun). Li Himself is the Pheonix Reborn, its fire and fury stoking the fires of vengeance and purifying balance.

Asuratizaya, The Warrior King!,,

The relationship between Li and Asura is both deep and complicated. Whatever others may say of rational explanations, the two have an uncanny link. When they lock eyes it is the same Will, the same Spirit looking into intself. One could very easily use the western term soulmates but this concept is highly misleading. It is more accurate to speak of them and their Nemisis as a triumverate soul, a fractal enegram repeated over and over through Brahmin philosophy. They see in each other, phantom memories of lives lived out over the centuries. The dance of Life has changed again and the world is opening its eyes again for the first time.

In practice Asura is a model King. Just. Wise. Strong. He is still however subject to the Essence of Catness. In his "speech" he is refined and honest, in fact to a fault as is represented in his social attributes. Human niceites don't just not occur to him, If they do he sees them as petty games not worth the time and attention of Nobility. With Li he has finally met his match. One would not normally assume that two such incredibly willful beings should get along so famously but when they act, it is in ancient concert. It borders on a true Mindsharing telepthy when the Tellurian is strongest, other times, more a constant "presence" with each other. There is no telling how deep this bond goes or how far it reaches. In daily use, line of sight is typical but emergencies can stretch this as far as necessary for the story.

The Tiger-God has a few other abilities. Like the Spirit Tiger mask Li wears, He can evoke a powerful ward against evil beings. When he does this the Red orbs of the Tigers Eyes light up with Crimson Phosphoressence. He is also capable of negating perception of his incredible Bulk, beccoming nigh Invisible to stalk the most dangerous of game...

Beyond the Dreaming, An ancient world reborn!,,

The Lost Valley acts as a giant clairsentient focal crystal containing the "memories" of its ancient creators. The whole area is permeated with Z-Rays producing a true Land of the Lost, where the primal legends of humanity still have power. Despite the danger, The Two Great Spirits are recognized as having Dominion, and they alone can assure safe passage to and through its many perils. Here they can find sanctuary from the corruptors influence. Of course it was no accident that Li was awoken there. The Alien Temple was calling him home, though not even Li and Asura know of the ancient alien craft, still hidden deep below the temple...

From his vast Sanctum, Asura has brought an honor guard of 3 of his most powerful "Generals." They understand their role in the show and contribute to its mystique greatly. Given Li's relationship with Asura and his Animal Handling skills regardless, they defer to him as well, but because Asura says so! Remember that even though the other tigers are Asuras menagerie, Li IS Asura's mentor and the cat his loyal folllower. No matter what though they will be survivors together...

~All is but the blink of an eye~

I would guess so, but of course I could take him as a nemesis as well, its not realy in my backstory, but on the other hand there is nothing in there stopping it as well :-)

Might have been a botched lab exepriment.

Heinrich: No ze Ubiquitous mythologica firebreathing and totaly unrealistic lizard, ze devistator gun is finished, why would I, ze genious that is Heinrich Stahlfuchs, use more time than I claim to need?

Dragon: Becous everyone else did?

Heinrich: Amateours, like that guy, Einstein...

Dragon: Apparently.

Heinrich: Why do you need ze evaporator to conduct mining in the first place by the way, would it not destroy ze minerals as well...

Heinrich turns around with the gun in hand, then suddenly stummbles, shooting a ray at the Dragon, evaporating him befor Heinriches and the monkeys eyes.

Heinrich: Ze ooppss... Rembrant, pack ze bags, we are leaving Hong Kong, Mozart, Bethoven, get ze Zeppling going. *muttering to himself: Ze boster rockets, why do I allways forget ze booster rockets*

Not Lupin's nemesis...If Lupin (The 2nd btw; for him to be consistent with the Lupin the 3rd timeline he'd probably have to bonk a japanese lady... ::tongue ) had a nemesis it would probably be a detective. Lupin the 1st definitely had one but Ganimard is probably retired by now. I've opted for a reputation background (known in law enforcement / art cliques / elitist society) instead of a nemesis one.

Ok folks, barring some minor adjustments, I have four characters in and approved. (Yes Phoenix, even you.) So, feel free to kibbitz a bit while I write up your individual invitations and then the start of the party.

Archived