Adventure!: In Search of Inspiration - In Search of Inspiration

BlueNinja

Standing in the entrance way, Mina's black silk clothes gleam as she removes her hat and sets her saddlebag and trench coat down. With a beautiful beaded indian satchel over her shoulder Mina moves to the center of the entry way to observe the grandeur. "I've been in a few truly beautiful places, Dr. Jackson, and I am honored to add this to my collection."

Turning to face the statues she bows slightly out of respect to the warriors lining the way. Standing five and a half feet tall, she smiles slightly at the stocky Butler Toombs while she tilts her head to the dignified statue. "If only Chloe could see me now. She'd die of jealousy. She keeps nagging that I'm the least ladylike, but acquire the most opulent surroundings."

She takes a moment to respectfully look at each individual statue before moving to the next. She raises her hand as if to touch the beautiful tapestries, eyes scanning over each. She walks to each quickly, muttering to herself, but pulls herself away eventually. She keeps her hands from touching the treasures abounding round them but is unable to resist sliding her fingers gently over the banister.

O)ne hand pulls the aromatic turkish cigar away from his lips, while the other scratches behind the ear of the worlds largest and only melanistic tiger.

Mina freezes on sight of the tiger. She half removes a stained notebook from her leather satchel when, Li's greeting enters her focus.

"Welcome to my home. My name is Li-Shen Long in your western grammar. This magnificent creature with me is Asuratizaya, a King of Kings among Tiger-kind

Nodding, Mina relaxes her stance a bit and drops her notebook back into her bag and smiles at both the King and Li.

"We are currently in pursuit of the many mysteries of our age. One of our leads has pointed us towards an underworld kingpin of the Orient, one who's control of the Eastern Underworld is nigh Ubiquitous. It seems he is making inroads into the U.S. and has already begun to affect dealings in the Midwest. After interrogating our captives and cleaning out their Las Vegas nest we are continuing to the City of Angels to continue our investigations."

"Interesting. We were headed to Montana to look into a mysterious death of a hunter." Sighing a little dejectedly she shakes her head. "By the time I get there the being I hunt will likely have moved on. How strong are these 'nests?' Are you heading into a small camp, or is this organization reaching tainted public officials and bribed police proportions?" While Mina's tone is merely questioning her face is tense and she squints a bit in concentration.

"Now that i have revealed my identity and welcomed you into my home, I must ask that you be sworn to secrecy. I sincerely welcome you as friends and would not wish enmity between us. In return for your eternal discretion, I offer you all the luxuries and ammenities I can provide and a warm welcome into the Aeon Society, if you so choose..."

Mina tilts her head slightly as she looks closely at Li and then Asura. Her eyes crinkle a bit in a smile as she nods. "I swear that your identity will remain inviolate. And I most humbly accept your gracious offer. It's comforting to have friends in such.. dangerous times. "

"And this, my friends, is where I shall leave you.. Please! Make yourselves at home and enjoy use of all the public areas we have just seen. Should you need anything this evening, my small yet skilled staff will see to it. Doctor Bryce, will you see to their comfort and orientation? I must attend to the interrogation

of our prisoners.

"Right, forgive me please. I'm used to the members of my team being fully without humilty. You see I work in excavation and restoration digs and such. My crew traditionally eats, sleeps, and bathes together as resources are usually limited. My apologies if my actions have put you off ease."

Trying to hide her blushing by turning her head a bit, Mina fakes looking closely at the far end. "I've been on a dig, sir. No offense taken, but you'll understand swimmin' and bathin' are different." Unnerved a bit her usually eloquent speech deteriorates to a slow drawl.

Jackson shakes Butlers hand again with warm smile

"Welcome aboard sir."

He moves to take Mina's hand and kisses it gently his other hand coming over the top shortly after.

"Welcome aboard Ms. Mina. I trust this will work out fantastic for everyone involved. "

"Thank you, this is a bit to take in and we appreciate your hospitality." Pausing a second to think, she asks quickly, "Need I worry that they'll kill the prisoner?"

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Standing in the entrance way, Mina's black silk clothes gleam as she removes her hat and sets her saddlebag and trench coat down. With a beautiful beaded indian satchel over her shoulder Mina moves to the center of the entry way to observe the grandeur. "I've been in a few truly beautiful places, Dr. Jackson, and I am honored to add this to my collection."

Turning to face the statues she bows slightly out of respect to the warriors lining the way. Standing five and a half feet tall, she smiles slightly at the stocky Butler Toombs while she tilts her head to the dignified statue. "If only Chloe could see me now. She'd die of jealousy. She keeps nagging that I'm the least ladylike, but acquire the most opulent surroundings."

She takes a moment to respectfully look at each individual statue before moving to the next. She raises her hand as if to touch the beautiful tapestries, eyes scanning over each. She walks to each quickly, muttering to herself, but pulls herself away eventually. She keeps her hands from touching the treasures abounding round them but is unable to resist sliding her fingers gently over the banister.

Having taken quite an interest in them as well, Jackson will recite to her their signifigance and purposes.

(( ROll if Neeeded. Ancient history and artifacts are specialties after all :-D ))

Trying to hide her blushing by turning her head a bit, Mina fakes looking closely at the far end. "I've been on a dig, sir. No offense taken, but you'll understand swimmin' and bathin' are different." Unnerved a bit her usually eloquent speech deteriorates to a slow drawl.

Observant of her minor embarrasment Jackson responds matter of factly.

"Of course."

"Thank you, this is a bit to take in and we appreciate your hospitality." Pausing a second to think, she asks quickly, "Need I worry that they'll kill the prisoner?"

Jackson pauses a moment to think on that.

" I wouldn't worry my dear. Li-Shen and Joshua are certainly devoted and driven, but they aren't savages."

He pauses again after saying that, thinking about Joshua. He opens his mouth to speak again, but says nothing before tipping his hat and leaving the newcomers to their privacy.

Mina just nods at Bryce's assessment of the other's civility and turns to Butler. "How are you doin? Aches and pains or serious damage? I'll leave you to soak, if you wish. I'd love to write Chloe and let her know the change of plans. She's going to turn green when I describe the beauty of the the train, though I think I'm just going to tell her its a house. I don't want to get her involved with our new companions untill we know them better. She assumes the worst half the time. You'd think she was an old woman the way that child nags."

Smiling at the thought of her sister, Mina laughs as she looks around. "This truly is living in splendor. I thought we had it nice, Toombs!"

"Interesting. We were headed to Montana to look into a mysterious death of a hunter." Sighing a little dejectedly she shakes her head. "By the time I get there the being I hunt will likely have moved on. How strong are these 'nests?' Are you heading into a small camp, or is this organization reaching tainted public officials and bribed police proportions?" While Mina's tone is merely questioning her face is tense and she squints a bit in concentration.

"This Underworld Kingpin I refer to is none other than The Ubiquitous Dragon. I would be surprised if you westerners have heard of him. He is a master of vice, deception and the black arts. Given his personal prediliction for corruption, I am certain he is going to great lengths to subtley infiltrate the ranks of your aristocrats and justicars. As for the Dragon's Nest here in Las Vegas, I am not certain of its size or its specific purpose...a bit of intellectual darkness that shall be illuminated shortly..." ::devil

"It would seem you are not the only hunter among us, Joshua." Li smiles amusedly at the tatooed warrior. "Tell us, Ms. Trenton, of this "being" you quest for..."

Mina tilts her head slightly as she looks closely at Li and then Asura. Her eyes crinkle a bit in a smile as she nods. "I swear that your identity will remain inviolate. And I most humbly accept your gracious offer. It's comforting to have friends in such.. dangerous times. "

Li-Shen nods in silent approval, apparently accepting her word, or perhaps, merely confident in his ability to deal with traitors. With polished grace and charm he leads the others on the tour of his magnificent locomotive, proudly detailing its specifications while Jackson fills them in on various bits of trivia regarding his many ancient and priceless works of art.

while the other scratches behind the ear of the worlds largest and only melanistic tiger.
Azura, eyes slitted open to observe everyone entering, is purring or grumbling loudly enough that he can be heard upon the stairs, the bare tip of his tail flicking back and forth.
The last statement followed by a sly but definitely noticeable wink. Jackson turns and moves out of the room.
Azura moves over to one of the taps, and with a careful manipulation of the paw, turns it on. He then proceeds to appropriate the largest bath in the car, eyeing Mina as if to say, "I dare you to get in here with me." ::devil
He heads to the medical quarters to see the trains physician. He has a couple of bruised, possibly broken, ribs that need to be looked at and bandaged.
Actually, you've had worse. This isn't even worth bothering the doctor with - you'll be fine by morning.
Having taken quite an interest in them as well, Jackson will recite to her their signifigance and purposes.

(( ROll if Neeeded. Ancient history and artifacts are specialties after all :-D ))

((My dice say you suck when it comes to ancient China - 2,2,2,3,3,3,4,5,6,9.)) You manage to point out a few of the important pieces, but since Mina seems to be more interested in looking at them than listening to you, it works out ok. ::biggrin
Mina just nods at Bryce's assessment of the other's civility and turns to Butler. "How are you doin? Aches and pains or serious damage? I'll leave you to soak, if you wish. I'd love to write Chloe and let her know the change of plans. She's going to turn green when I describe the beauty of the the train, though I think I'm just going to tell her its a house. I don't want to get her involved with our new companions untill we know them better. She assumes the worst half the time. You'd think she was an old woman the way that child nags."

Smiling at the thought of her sister, Mina laughs as she looks around. "This truly is living in splendor. I thought we had it nice, Toombs!"

Butler shrugs. "I'll be ok. Tomorrow, day after maybe, they won't be nothin' but spots. If I'da known we'd be sittin' next to a pool, I'da brought something to wear in it." He then looks over at the massive black tiger. "Or maybe not."

"It would seem you are not the only hunter among us, Joshua." Li smiles amusedly at the tatooed warrior. "Tell us, Ms. Trenton, of this "being" you quest for..."

Shrugging negligently, Mina says to Li, "Just checking on some suspicious attacks by wolves that aren't wolves up in Montana. The usual. Hunter shoots at wolf, but kills a man, in this case Robert Wilson. Considering there was an actual death versus mere witness accounts, it merits investigation. " Mina tries to look casual and move on to other topics.

Azura moves over to one of the taps, and with a careful manipulation of the paw, turns it on. He then proceeds to appropriate the largest bath in the car, eyeing Mina as if to say, "I dare you to get in here with me."
Butler shrugs. "I'll be ok. Tomorrow, day after maybe, they won't be nothin' but spots. If I'da known we'd be sittin' next to a pool, I'da brought something to wear in it." He then looks over at the massive black tiger. "Or maybe not."

Mina chuckles softly. "If you are brave enough, Butler, I'll eat my hat! There is just somethin bout that kitty. Could have used a 'friend' like that down in the Amazon. Though I imagine its a bit like having a cat by the tail." Mina grins cheekily at Asura sure the cat will understand, bends over to splash a little water over her hands then turns to leave.

"Butler, I'll leave you to it. I have unpacking to do, and a few business matters to address. Rest easy and you are free to do as you wish till we reach the city." Patting him on the back, she heads off to her room. She unpacks a dress for the next day, removes her hat and coat and sets about cleaning her gun and reloading. Considering the noise level on the passenger train, she catches up on some sleep when she's done with the practicalities of gun care.

Dr. Bryce decides against seeing the physician as he realizes his body is quite resilient indeed. He decides instead to head to the observation deck, to pen the most recent occurences into his journal; Li-Shens savage appearance, the strange cat Azsura and the meeting of Ms. Trenton to name a few things.

He stays up for a long time, smoking cigarettes and sipping brandy, contemplating his upcomming journey as well as the things that have come to pass. He spends some time thinking on this Ubiquitous Dragon and chinese triad involvement, trying to remember what he'd heard of them in the past. He flips through the pages in his journal trying to find answers there as well.

Shrugging negligently, Mina says to Li, "Just checking on some suspicious attacks by wolves that aren't wolves up in Montana. The usual. Hunter shoots at wolf, but kills a man, in this case Robert Wilson. Considering there was an actual death versus mere witness accounts, it merits investigation. " Mina tries to look casual and move on to other topics.

The incredibly shrewd Li picks up on her attempt to change the subject but he's not going to let her off that easily...

"Why is it that you don't wish to discuss this subject Ms. Trenton? In fact, we recieved the dossier on Robert Wilson before we left. It was among our choices of investigations. Tell me, how is it that you came by this information? And as well had the temerity to follow up on it? Most people outside the Society are quick to dismiss such tall tales as flights of fancy...In fact, I find it difficult to beleive a tracker of your skill with such an obviously astute eye for the recognition of the arcane would be passed up by Mr. Mercer for invitation to our grand opening gala...Tell me Miss Trenton, how is that so?"

While still charming, there is something exotic and predatory about Li, a feature that seems to echo the dangerous feline nature of his companion. Even as he smiles with coy curiosity, his questions remain pointed and probing, and it is slightly unnerving to realize that his mind is prepared to pick apart her answer like the talens of a falcon flaying a field mouse...

"Why is it that you don't wish to discuss this subject Ms. Trenton? In fact, we recieved the dossier on Robert Wilson before we left. It was among our choices of investigations. Tell me, how is it that you came by this information? And as well had the temerity to follow up on it? Most people outside the Society are quick to dismiss such tall tales as flights of fancy...In fact, I find it difficult to beleive a tracker of your skill with such an obviously astute eye for the recognition of the arcane would be passed up by Mr. Mercer for invitation to our grand opening gala...Tell me Miss Trenton, how is that so?"

For just a second, anger flashes over Mina's face before she tries to tamp it down. "First of all, Li, though I have my own abilities, I'm not an academic though my father was. Why would anyone invite a showboat trickshot to join a group of cityslicks tramping across the country lookin for trouble? And even if they would have seen to invitin a ranch woman, with a bit of class, I've had my own life to live. Burying my parents and seein to the safety.. "

Cutting herself off, Mina takes a deep breath. "You want to know why? Fine, I'll tell you. My father was KILLED, sir. Attacked while we were at a dig on our land. I followed the thing. This monsterous furry, man-thing that had swiped my father like he was a babe. I tracked it and it disappeared. And after I buried my father and later my mother, I swore that I wouldn't let anyone else feel the pain I did for not knowing why or how such a thing happened. I know what I saw, and I knew no one would believe me. For goodness sakes, everyone thought my 'flights of fancy' were beautiful works of art! Everything I've seen and drawn merely seem whimsy to the public, so trust me. I know most people don't 'see' what is in front of them. Since I do, I track it with a little help from some friends. This hunter is nothing in particular to me. But if no one else who understands that there are different forms of man and wolf and that one is more deadly is there to investigate, then I will."

Straightening her arms out and stretching out a bit of the strain, she tries to smile politely. "Are there any other painful memories you wish me to divulge, sir? I'm sure you'd love to tell me why you do what you do, how you came to be on this trail, why you put yourself in danger's way? You'll have to pardon me, but where I come from, you don't ask a person about their past until they volunteer it. I genuinely appreciate your hospitality, I was even glad to meet others who understand that there is more on this earth than what we thought. I've seen some amazing things, and I would love to share them with yall, but I ask that you give me a little time. Its been a trying year, and learning to trust strangers who appear to be on the right side, but travel with a demon and massive armored being, can cause a woman to second guess herself. Can you understand that?"

Li-Shen nods gravely.

"My condolences for your loss, Ms. Trenton. I do apologize for the probing nature of my questions, but unfortuanelty it must be this way. The Dragon's spies reach everywhere, and one may never be too sure. It is due the likes of him that Trust becomes an evermore scarce commodity..."

" As for why I do what I do..."

His eyes gloss over somewhat, obviously reliving a painful memory. "The Dragon took something...very precious, from me..."

Snapping back into focus.. "I, more than you might know, can appreciate your vendetta. Though it may come as small consolation for your inadvertant detour, I, and I am certain my companions, would be pleased to assist you in bringing to justice this paranormal beastie who has claimed your kin. Consider us indebted to you for your charming presence and assistance in completeing our business on the western seaboard. I am certain as well, that our Patron, Mr. Mercer will be delighted to recieve you into our comapny...While I may indeed be one of your.."cityslicks".. there are numerous ruggd types counted among our number, finely represented here in our errant archeologist and a bona-fide tribal expatriot..."

((Around this time in the conversation the group has nearly reached the bathhouse. If Mina or the others would like to have any final words, now is the time. Otherwise let me know and I can post a description of the Arboretum for Breakfast chat...or do we want to say this convo happened the next morning? Not sure what the best way to proceed is. Do we really want to deal with the Vegas Triads or should we get to the more meaty stuff BN has waiting in Los Angeles? This Vegas detour has taken forever!!!))

"My condolences for your loss, Ms. Trenton. I do apologize for the probing nature of my questions, but unfortuanelty it must be this way. The Dragon's spies reach everywhere, and one may never be too sure. It is due the likes of him that Trust becomes an evermore scarce commodity..."

Mina smiles sadly, "Yes, of course, you are right. I apologize for my temper, I've become so used to keeping my life to myself I forgot the need for pleasantries and getting-to-know-you questions. Please accept my regrets, and I do.. sympathize. Tame word, but the truth. I would appreciate aid, but I hate to admit, I can't be positive I will ever find the monster. Having travelled far, I'm beginning to see strange things happen all over our small little planet that I just hadn't noticed before though the quest pushes me onward."

Taking a deep breath of courage, she looks a bit resigned. "I feel we would better spend our time with you updating me on the Triad and your dealings. Please, tell me as much as you can, as I really spend little reading the dailies other than to check for hunting accidents and missing person reports. Indelicate of me, I know, but this is how I've found most of my leads. A basic background and an idea of what kind of men we are dealing with would be helpful. I want to help you all and maybe later if the opportunity arises you can help me."

Jackson is up before dawn, his dreams didn't allow him more sleep than that. Spending some time on the top deck with the warm fresh air and a few cigarettes to right his brain. He makes his way downstairs to rustle up some cofee and perhaps something to snack on. It isn't until the others arrive that he realizes, he's not wearing much in the way of clothing. His pants loosely attatched, bare feet and no top covering to speak of.

Mina's black silk riding clothes are wrinkled and she looks a bit tired around the eyes. Her hair is put up in a simple but fashionable twist. The fingers she wraps around a cup of tea are ink stained and a beaten brown leather bag rests on her shoulder as she sits. She pulls out a notepad a doodles a bit of the scenery but keeps politely quiet. She does smirk a little at Jackson.

Her smile is cheery. "Don't bother on my account. Things get a bit informal at a ranch. By all means relax. I'll just enjoy the view! Oh, and please call me Mina."

Turning the page she lightly sketches her companion absentmindedly. "May I call you Jackson? You know, you remind me of a friend, Jackson. Well, ... minus the European airs." She seems amused at the thought, and doodles a bit more of the professor's face as she idly drinks her tea.

Dr. Bryce smiles a most charming smile as before he takes a long drink of his now chilled cofee.

"Mina it is...and by all means call me Jackson. Its a bit of a mouthful but it is preferred. Excuse me for a quick moment."

Jackson stands quickly and tosses his book to fill his seat. As he rises, before his form vanishes from site, Mina can clearly see several scars about his back and side. Some long and thin indicated savage cuts, others appear to be old burns or something else entirely.

His journal, which the wind has blown open a few pages shows a map with languages which appear completely alien, Though all penned in a precise and perfect manner; it would appear they are all written by Jackson himself.

A few moments later, his bare feet slapping on the floor are heard as he appears with a fresh cup of steaming cofee.

"So Mina, tell me something of yourself that might shock me. Shocking things interest me very much."

The last statement delivered with a quick raising of each eyebrow, as he replaces the book in his chair with his body.

"So Mina, tell me something of yourself that might shock me. Shocking things interest me very much."

The last statement delivered with a quick raising of each eyebrow, as he replaces the book in his chair with his body.

“Shocking, you say? Hmmm. alright, Jackson. Did you know you glow a nice green shade? Unsurprisingly you are neither good nor evil which is comforting, I must tell you. Though maybe that isn’t what you were lookin’ for? I think I met Yaponcha, once. As a child I got lost on one of my father's digs. I'd traveled too far from the cliff dwellings. There was such a wind blowing up the face of the cliff, but I couldn't find my way back. I... well, I followed a voice on the wind. At first I ignored it, but it seemed to push at me, and push till finally I turned back. When I finally found my path down, I looked back. There was a man standing there and the next he was gone. My father laughed when I told him. I think that was when I decided to keep what I see to myself.”

Sighing a little, Mina shakes her head. “I’m sorry to disappoint you, but I’m not a bit shocking. I’m just me. Fast with a gun, and quicker with a pen. I’ve an affinity for horses, but I do run a ranch on my free time. I guess the most shocking thing is I’m not the least bit interested in society and such. Drove my poor mother crazy. I’d much rather travel the world than mintz about in satin skirts.”

Pushing her cup of tea away, she props her chin on her hand. “I find myself drawn to the wild places and the people who settled them before the first white man settled here. I wonder sometimes about the things we’ve lost, the knowledge we’ve rejected.

What mysteries and legends would we now have, if we hadn’t lost whole civilizations to distrust and hatred? Every time I come across something wondrous, I want to shout to the world, ‘Look! Look what you are missing.’”

Laughing, she eyes the room. “Not that this is a wild place, but I have heard things about Las Angeles and such. ‘Sin city’ and all that. How about you, Jackson, what’s shocking about the whip-wielding Doctor?”

• 2 weeks later...

Jackson weighs the question as though it had serious implications, though his chisled features showed not a trace of concern.

"I'm afraid the life of a scientist and scholar isn't the most riveting work to some, though there have been an adventure of two to keep my interest piqued."

Jackson smiles and adjust his had to rest high on his head and out of his way. In the light of the morning, his half nude body looks like a piece of art. His skin was hardened and leathered by years of sun and bad weather, though somehow it appeared soft and delicate. His features were strong and crisp though offset by his carefree playful nature, the combination had proved down right irresistable to some. Another stretch in his chair.

"I'm considered a God to a tribe of Wochati that dwell on a northeastern bend of the Nile in Egypt. On a dig near there, I used basic medicine to heal a man who had come down with pneumonia. They felt I had done it with magic...to say nothing for the fact that a man so foreign to them picked up their language in no time. They felt I must be a God."

He chuckled.

"I'll bet you didn't know that...or that I'm a touch on the weary side of spiders. Though you didn't hear that from me..."

He finnished with a wink.

Smiling appreciatively, Mina Trenton's green eyes twinkle with mischief. "Oh, now. I didn't know I was in such august company! Really, there's no need for modesty. I know very well the scrapes and tribulations scholars find themselves in. Travelling in other lands can prove trying and dangerous. But they can be some of the most interesting places on earth."

Whisperingdddd conspiratorially, she leans forward. "I won't tell anyone about your fear if you won't mention I hate mosquitoes. Can't stand the things. Considering how often you come by them down south you'd think I would have adjusted. I traveled through the Amazon a bit ago and I fear it was the only time in my life I felt absolutely miserable and useless. The guide finally had to smear me with this smelly paste to alleviate my whining. It was horrible of me."

Twisting her pencil around her fingers a bit, Mina looks serious. "When you were in Egypt, did you get to see the pyramids? I've seen some of the Aztec ruins... When you get to the summit... its like your skin is touched by electricity. Its jolting to think of all the people who came there to worship and have sinced passed. Sometimes, its almost like you could touch the past if you just closed your eyes and stepped back. My sister teases me that I was born to the wrong century, but I think we are on the cusp of understanding so much about our world. The past, the present, and the future are openning up."

Jackson listens intently to the stunning Mina Trenton as she describes to him her experiences with temples and such. He smiles casually as he recalls his experience being similar indeed...up until he was betrayed.

"Yes I have seen the pyramids. I've been in side them, dug underneath them and around them. They truly are amazing structures...perfect structures in many senses. The temples of the Aztecs and Myans also are extraordinary, also sharing similar ideas in mind for their designs as well..."

Jackson continues on for another minute or so as his descriptions quickly escalate into a strange and rediculously difficullt to understand lingo. (( Academics 5 )).

"I would say that seeing those places especially those in South America have changed my life forever. Now if you'd excuse me, I think its time for a bath and some clothes. heh."

Jackson stands and excuses himself, then head to the baths and then to find the others.

Nodding, Mina inclines her head politely and smiles to Jackson's back crossing her eyes comically for a moment.

Refilling her tea, she sits back in her original seat and turns to a new page. She quickly sets down a rough image of Jackson in a temple on a stone throne. Adding whatever little she knows of Egyptian deities she fills out the picture before, turning the page, and attempting to depict the Demon with its black tendrils of power. She spends the morning in like-minded pursuits awaiting the others to come down from their rooms and filling out pencil images of the incredible people she finds herself traveling with trying to place what she knows of each in its depiction.

The next evening, in Los Angeles

The long train ride across the blazing summer desert is made bearable, at least, by the incredible comforts of the Silk Road, and a few hours before sunset, the train pulls into a yard meant for the parking of private trains. The Silk Road is not the only luxury car set parked there, though it certainly shines like a diamond among pearls. The employees are ingratiating and humble, though some of them are no doubt scandalized by the appearance of the quartet of Aeon adventurers.

Taxis are easily come by in the city, which despite the slow growth of film, has yet to become the sprawling metropolis of later in the century. And the local Chinatown is not hard to find - nay, even anticlimactic, as some three blocks before the cab reaches it, while parked at a red light, the group can see the familiar sight of mobsters shaking down a local butcher shop for protection money. The difference here comes in the goons' skin and their ties, for their suits and jackets are of a quality and style to match any servant of Capone.

"Are you sure you wanna go in dere, mates?" asks the taxi driver, a swarthy Hispanic man attempting a bad Brooklyn accent says. "They don't like, well, your kind," he says, jerking a chin towards Mina and Jackson.

Jackson smiles as if to himself.

"What kind is that sir? Educated? Or are you referring to the skin tone and nationalilty difference incurred by the lady and myself possessing none of the cultural distinctive similarities as do our other two associates?"

Jackson pats the driver gently on the shoulder from the back seat.

"Worry not my friend. We most certainly are not."

Jackson turns to roll down his window and with his back to the remainder of the car he does the double gulp and wide eyes. This will be dangerous indeed.

Mina leans forward to grin at Joshua. "As in from different ancestors."

Motioning to the Li and Joshua's faces. "You are from the East." Jerking her head towards Jackson, "We're from the West. Anyone we would like to interview would be more comfortable if Jackson and I weren't here. They don't know us and won't trust us simply because of the way our kind has gotten along. It might be best if you two tried to get some directions and such without us. I think people will be more open with yall. Whether the good Doctor and I are 'harmless' or not. Shall we break up long enough to browse about? Maybe if Jackson and I create a bit of stir yall would have the opportunity to slide away and talk in private with the shopkeepers and find out what we need to know? Or I could just head about and shop and see if I can make any friendly inquiries. I don't mind. Might be a bit of a distraction, if I tag-a-long. Besides, I've always found spreading around some loot, loosens tongues."

A truly angelic smiles graces her face as she pulls off her hat and primps a little. "What do yall say? I try a bit of down-home charm, while yall play detective?"

Jackson smiles wide and allows a few chuckles.

"I would prefer to join in on the questioning if possible. I can speak the language, both Chinese, and BS."

Dr. Bryce pulls some cash from the front pocket of his shirt and hands it to the cab driver.

"Lady, Gentlemen, shall we?"

He climbs out of the car and extends his hand to Mina to help her out.

"Sure. If you think its best. Sadly, I don't speak the language."

Stepping out, Mina's head tips back as she steps away from the car. Her black silk dress shimmers in a western design but of the highest quality silk. Despite the temperature, a brown trench coat rests on her shoulders and a tooled leather gun belt, oddly reminiscent of her dress style, rests at an angle over her hips. She slides the grungy satchel over her shoulder. Eying the buildings around them she makes a slow semi-circle taking in the vendors and their shops. "Where shall we start, gentlemen?"

Vegas

A uniformed member of the Silk Road's staff appears and bows, presenting a note to Mina and Jackson. It is from their host, reporting that the interrogation of the prisoners went long into the evening and if they will excuse his presence at breakfast that morning. He promises a full tour of the arboretum at a later time.

The City of Angels

Exiting the taxi with his trademark poise, Li-Shen Long appraises the local "Chinamen's District" through his shrewd slanted eyes...

Jackson slings his pack over his shoulder and moves up to stand beside Li-Shen.

"Where should we begin?"

The phrase spoken in absolutely perfect Chinese with a touch of Mandarin. Dr. Bryce knows the language well and similar to the dozens of other dialects he has picked up over the years, he speaks it as a native.

Jackson slings his pack over his shoulder and moves up to stand beside Li-Shen.

"Where should we begin?"

The phrase spoken in absolutely perfect Chinese with a touch of Mandarin. Dr. Bryce knows the language well and similar to the dozens of other dialects he has picked up over the years, he speaks it as a native.

Eyeing the well dressed thugs a few blocks away, Li-Shen adjusts the set of his ruby red sunglasses. Replying in English, he answers,

"As you Americans are so fond of saying...follow the money."

Mina mutters to Joshua, "I know how you feel."

Looking to Jackson and Li, her smile tips to the side a bit. "I'm following your lead, gentlemen. I'll aid you in any way I can." With that bit of trust and friendship extended, she slides her hat back on. Beneath the brim, she searches the area for armed ne'er-do-wells and any businesses that look especially 'fortified.'

Looking to Jackson and Li, her smile tips to the side a bit. "I'm following your lead, gentlemen. I'll aid you in any way I can." With that bit of trust and friendship extended, she slides her hat back on. Beneath the brim, she searches the area for armed ne'er-do-wells and any businesses that look especially 'fortified.'
There are two that might work ... right here, on the edge of Chinatown, there's a 'greasy spoon' diner, with narrow windows filled with thick glass, and a heavy wooden door. And two blocks down, just inside the edge of Chinatown proper, there is what looks like a Buddhist shrine - surrounded by an eight-foot brick wall topped with iron spikes.
Eyeing the well dressed thugs a few blocks away, Li-Shen adjusts the set of his ruby red sunglasses. Replying in English, he answers,

"As you Americans are so fond of saying...follow the money."

Aside from the thugs, there is one place where money is surely in evidence. Across the street from the Buddhist temple, there is an apartment building that looks to be opulent, and somewhat at odds with the rest of the neighborhood. And then there's all the buildings you can't see, further into the district ...

Tilting her head just slightly towards the diner, Mina directs her eyes to her companions. "That diner looks a bit interesting but I'd really like to know why a temple is protected by a brick wall and iron spikes. You would think a temple should be open to all, wouldn't you? Do we investigate or walk about and get a feel for the area? There's plenty more to see, I'm sure."

• 4 weeks later...

Jackson stares out at the surrounding areas as he removes his hat and wips his forearm across his brow. He replaces the hat and plucks a cigarette from his jacket and lights it.

"Well following the money and the muscle is good. I'm sure we don't have to look too far for trouble. Maybe we should get a drink and get a feel for the place. One way or another, I'm taking a look at that monestary there. A little history never hurt anyone!!"

He turns to his companions and flashes a devious grin.

Archived