Ah crap

BlueNinja

Starting just last night, my little USB drive is no longer recognized by any of the three computers in my house. It was working fine yesterday, and last night it started working after I just rebooted the computer.

This morning though ... when I put in the USB drive, instead of automatically adding it as a new drive letter (like it had been for the whole freaking six months before this), it now pops up as "New Hardware ADIR ROM" and yet, there doesn't appear to be anything to install to get the computer to recognize it.

The drive itself is a Sandisk Cruzer Mini 256MB.

Anyone give me advice on how to get my computers to recognize it again? Because it has all of my notes for Trans-D ...

Starting just last night, my little USB drive is no longer recognized by any of the three computers in my house. It was working fine yesterday, and last night it started working after I just rebooted the computer.

This morning though ... when I put in the USB drive, instead of automatically adding it as a new drive letter (like it had been for the whole freaking six months before this), it now pops up as "New Hardware ADIR ROM" and yet, there doesn't appear to be anything to install to get the computer to recognize it.

The drive itself is a Sandisk Cruzer Mini 256MB.

Anyone give me advice on how to get my computers to recognize it again? Because it has all of my notes for Trans-D ...

Couple things:

What version of Windows are you using?

If you're using XP, this unfortunately appears to be a fairly common failing of the Sandisk USB drives, a quick Google search brings up a list of other folks that have had the same type of problem, and apparently it's a hardware failure on the device itself.

If you're using 98, 98SE or Windows ME, you might have some other options, but most involve hacking the registry to get the OS to re-install the USB drive.

Otherwise, I'm inclined to agree with Alex...if it's not working on 3 different systems, it's probably the drive.

However, if all 3 computers are running the same OS, you can try plugging it into a system with a different OS and see if it recognizes. Kind of a last-ditch effort though.

Oh, and here's the number for Sandisk tech support: 1-866-726-3475

Otherwise, I'm inclined to agree with Alex...if it's not working on 3 different systems, it's probably the drive.

However, if all 3 computers are running the same OS, you can try plugging it into a system with a different OS and see if it recognizes. Kind of a last-ditch effort though.

All three at home are WinXP; at work, they're running Win2000, so I'll try it on Monday when I go back to work and see if I can get it to work.

Otherwise, without my notes I've forgotten the basics of two episodes, and I can't seem to find references to them in my conversations I had with my friend who helped me write some of them out, either. ::brick

http://fedora.redhat.com/

Fedora is a linux (unix like operating system) distro, if you have multiple harddrives (or an extra computer) you can install it and still keep your old windows installation, then you can mount the usb device, transfer it over to your old harddrive (or email it).

on second thought, knoppix is probably better, since you can boot up a computer with it on a CD and not worry about installing it, and still being able to do the above.

http://www.knoppix.org/

Archived