Aberrant: Trans-Dimensional Explorations - Episode 1: Fallout

As soon as the briefing with Michal is done, I'd like to hear everyone's votes for the Trailer. Theo is the only person who cannot vote. When the voting is done, I will award the rest of the XP, and then everyone can post what they would like to purchase.

I'd like to cast my vote for Jonathan. Re-reading the posts just now, it impressed me how seamlessly his character fit into the story...there was never an indication of the player behind the character, and that's pretty cool.

Thanks. :) Actually there was a post where I was teasing my brother about something we were talking about over IM, but otherwise I think I've lived up to your compliment. ^_^ The character is loosely based off a couple of friends irl, so I'm trying to play the character as they would, rather than doing what I personally would want to.

We waiting on archimedes? Seems like we're missing someone.

We waiting on archimedes? Seems like we're missing someone.
Yes; I have both PM'd and E-mailed him, so if I don't get a response by tomorrow night, I'll assign the XP without him, so that you folks can spend it for new powers before Episode 2 gets too far underway.

And just to remind folks, new powers/mega-atts/enhancements are less reliable for the first episode in which you have them, just because they're new. Increasing existing powers/megas don't have that. Increasing abilities and base attributes will have to have the effort put into them during RP and downtime.

Since I haven't heard anything from Jason, I'm just going to hand out the XP now, and unless he posts really soon, he's not going with everyone to the next world. This episode went by pretty quickly, so I am handing out 3XP to everyone for the episode.

Jonathan wins the vote for the trailer! +1 XP. He did a decent job of living up to his Caretaker and Pagan personality, so that's another 2XP. Jonathan ends Episode 1 with 6XP in total, and gets to write the trailer for the episode.

Ash was awarded 1XP for an OMFG die roll. He lived up to his Daredevil concept very well, but not so much the Hedonist, so I'm giving 2XP. Thus Ash also ends Episode 1 with 6XP in total.

Brandt did a fair job of living up to his Protector concept, but not so much the Architech nature, so I'm awarding 1XP. Brandt ends Episode 1 with 4XP in total.

Paul did a good job of living up to his Force of Nature concept, and a good job with his Survivor nature, so I'm awarding 2XP. Paul ends Episode 1 with 5XP in total.

Eli didn't appear much, so it was hard to gauge his Scholer concept and Analyst nature, other than the conversation in the shelter. I'm giving 1XP, for a total of 4XP.

Archimedes needs to return from wherever he vanished. His Hermit concept can't exactly be counted as fulfilled by this, but he did a slightly better job of living up to his Judge nature. He also got 1XP from an OMFG die roll, giving him a total of 5XP.

Theo was credited as the "Miss Not-Appearing-In-This-Episode" and thus gains no XP at all. ::biggrin

Ok folks, post outtakes if you want to, let me know in this thread or by PM if you are purchasing anything with your hard-won XP.

"You win!"

"Yay! What's my prize?"

"You, umm...." *checks pockets* "You get to do some work."

"Yay! I - wait, what?"

"Yup, you have to, um.... write something. It's, like, a privilege, or something. Limited to a select few who.... well, actually, I'll probably make everybody do it at some point."

*rumble rumble rumble, mutiny mutiny mutiny*

But, anyway....

Narrator: On a world ravaged by war -

Camera pans over the wreckage of the naval base

Narrator: An untold evil lurks in every shadow.

Shot of Ash and Jonathan walking into the dark storage room at the theater, a noise is heard from behind the stairs.

Narrator: A group of adventurers are caught up in a fight for survival....

Shot of the group wandering through the dust cloud.

Narrator: The natives are restless....

Scene of Brandt getting caught by that kid.

Kid: Hey, you, don't move!

Narrator: And only one man can save them.

Ash: I botched my roll.... I fail at life!

Ash runs off screen crying. Sound of a record being stopped plays.

Narrator: Or.... not.

Scene of Paul talking to Brandt and Eli at the church.

Paul: They're trapped by.... giant cockroaches!

Narrator: Watch the new hit comedy this fall, only on UPN.

Aftermath:

Paul lay on the beach towel wearing little more than sunglasses. Reaching out with his node, he was pretty sure he was the only nova around, but he couldn’t be sure. This was a ‘nova’ beach, and one of the few places where the nova physic wouldn't draw attention; or rather it didn’t reveal him as a nova. Many people showed off tanned bodies that bespoke body building and/or steroid use. Several went beyond that, medical ‘augmentation’ was common, and a few showed off body paint, costume modification, or even cosmetic ‘aberrations’ fueled by batteries or other technological wizardry. People here assumed Paul was another gym rat, would be movie star, or ’wanttobeanova’, and that was fine with him. Showing he was the real thing would attract attention, and while there was a time and place for that, here and now wasn’t it. Occasionally he eyed or was eyed by the passing scenery, but mostly he just reflected.

At the end the mission had been much harder than it had needed to be, and this was largely at his urging. This left him conflicted. On the one hand he was a big fan of being lazy and quitting while he was ahead. In his opinion, many failures occurred because people made things harder on themselves than they needed to be. In this case he’d weakened himself and it would take a few days of R&R before he was back in shape. On the other hand, he’d learned that Ash was a good liar, but not quite as good as he thought. That seemed to be a reoccurring motif with Ash, and figuring out that outside a crisis was worth the price of admission.

Of course the mission itself was, as expected, a success and a failure. All of the technology worked, and worked well. That was good. As expected, the link didn’t work across the gate. No one got killed or even hurt, but the natives didn’t have novas, or technology, or much else including a functioning economy or agriculture. In theory, if he were willing to settle for a more rugged existence including very little food, a nova could set himself up as a benevolent god or force of nature, until the aliens came in and ate the planet.

Paul eyed the beach goers and decided that life was very good, but being reminded of this every now and then wasn’t a bad thing.

• 2 weeks later...

In case everyone was curious, the break point for the Fallout Episode universe was during the first two months of Gorbachav being in charge. He suffered a heart attack bad enough that he had to go on bed rest. With him being incapacitated, the prominent KGB agent Vladimir Putin took over "temporarily" for him. Rather than accept the failing of communism, he matched Reagan's military spending, eventually invading western Europe. The nuclear launches themselves were started by Israel, destroying most of the Iranian army as they crossed over the Jordanian border aiming for Israel. Of course, once one nuke goes off, then pretty much everyone's nukes go off.

I think we're done with this thread now, if one of you mod-types could lock it?

Archived