Marvel Super Hero's RPG

I dont know. I would assume it is considering how obvious the URL is and they have been compileing all this stuff since at least '91...I think they would have gotten shut down by now if they actually cared.
It could be illegal and they could still be running, the same way abandonware sites are running - the companies don't feel it's worth the money to prosecute.

How is the game system? I don't want to spend the time downloading and reading if it's a crappy system. ::happy

Im trying to keep my nose out of the system (My GM has decided to switch to this system from Heroes and Heroines and he wants to suprise us for some reason) but it seems decent enough. It relys on d100 rolls (from hwat he said) but has a decent spread of attributes.

One bad thing is that everything is random and advancement is *expensive*, so if you play it expect to stay the way you are for a long while. And its easy to lose all your 'Karma' (their equivelent of XP). If you kill someone (with the exceptions of Noble and Mysterious deaths...whatever they are) you lose all your Karma (except what you put away for perminent advancements later).

Its worth at least a look through IMHO though.

The old Marvel game is good for what is: a way to play the Marvel characters in the Marvel universe (circa 1985). The stats are described in appropriate adjectives that give the game a flavor that many games lack. The Hulk, for example, has "Incredible" strength. Spider-Man's Agility is indeed "Amazing." There are numeric equivalents for all of these, but the adjectives are fun and really help make it Marvel.

Game balance, as it is is for most film or literature worlds that are turned into games, is poor. This is a world that contains both Bucky and the Vision, and either of them could be player characters. (Note that DC games have similar problems in containing both Robin and Superman.) As Bahamut810 points out, character advancement is slow and difficult, but fortunately, assuming you use the pre-gen character you already get them as they are in whatever stage of the Marvel story that particular sourcebook was written in, which means they can do what they do in the comics.

If the choice comes to Aberrant or Marvel, Marvel works better for replicating Marvel's characters and preserving the Marvel atmosphere. The game is constructed to allow you to make Marvel characters with Marvel powers, although the Ultimate Powers Book goes a long way to fixing the problem of "Well, what if I don't want to play someone exactly like Iron Man or the Hulk?" Aberrant has more logical power advancement and a wider range of powers, but Marvel makes it a lot easier to make characters that are not mutants. In Marvel, it's much easier to make characters that are gadget-based, magic-based, aliens, or whatever else you can pull out of the genre.

It's been far too long since the few times I've played the Marvel game to recall exactly how play worked out. The charts are a bit unusual, especially compared to White Wolf's success-based system. You roll percentile dice and compare the result to a chart on the back of the main book. Overall, I recall it being rather predictable, sometimes to the point that you knew you just shouldn't even try to do something.

I think the whole "Howdy true believers, it's me, your friendly neighborhood web-slinger" bit is getting a little old these days.. ::brick

And what's with Sue Richards being listed as "good" fighting ability? She's supposed to be able to wrap the Iron Fist up into a pretzel..

Re: Sue vs. Iron Fist: Note the difference between being able to fight HTH well and use your powers of TK well...It's obviously before the Malice Upgrade ::blush ...

Some Other Quicky Notes:

1) The chargen system was a lot more flexible than DC Heroes, allowing you to start with someone closer in power level to even the more powerful characters, especially if you got really lucky on the rolls. Keep in mnd that DC Heores starting characters were almost never as powerful as even beginning DC Heroes...

2) The Karma system allowed straight role-playing to get rewarded, so if all you did was show up on time to charity events you could get Karma. However, you could also get docked points for doing uncharitable things. Interesting system...

3) The magic system was really interesting, as spells were treated as powers. Mages were just as karma-challenged as in Shadowrun ::cool ....

4) Pick up the Ultimate Powers book; it's great for helping with Abbie theme issues, or if you want a character, and just aren't sure what to do...

FR

• 2 months later...

BTW, my group has successfully converted Rifts from its crappy antiquated second gen DnD palladium system over to the marvel RPG...an ya know what? It actually works perfectly!!!!

Let me know if anyone would like details...

Rifts lives again!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 years later...

BTW, my group has successfully converted Rifts from its crappy antiquated second gen DnD palladium system over to the marvel RPG...an ya know what? It actually works perfectly!!!!

Let me know if anyone would like details...

Rifts lives again!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sigh its nice to be back home. ::laugh Where do I start? Lets see none of the stats about any of the characters are current. So if you don't like something then change it. Marvel is great & do yourselves a favor pickup the DELUXE CITY

C A M P A I G N S E T which I've used for years for Aberrant. Kids got to love them

Sigh its nice to be back home. ::laugh Where do I start? Lets see none of the stats about any of the characters are current. So if you don't like something then change it. Marvel is great & do yourselves a favor pickup the DELUXE CITY

C A M P A I G N S E T which I've used for years for Aberrant. Kids got to love them

Way ahead of ya bruddah!

Welcome back... :)

Archived