A Different Setting...

Captether

Hello all,

I've been contemplating a near future setting in which low power Novas (12 Nova Points, Permanent Quantum x's 3 in Temporary Quantum) are the heros/mutant threat. In this setting a select group of Mutant characters will be attempting to thwart the efforts of rogue "Paranormal" beings. This group (Name Pending) will exist as heros that governments tend to despise, and most folks fear etc.

Im thinking that Trinity-era hard tech will be available, but no biotech (not the psionic-alien stuff anyways). Space travel will be in this solar system (Asteroid and Gas mining, Moon Bases), with only unmanned probes going farther (thats the official story anyway). Despite their quantum powers etc, human tech at this level will still be quite dangerous, and likely to give cocky mutants a real headache.

Villains will include: Extradimensional Aliens (from Cthuloid to just Violent), Rogue Mutants, Metadrug Cartels, Government Agents, Sentinel-like Police Robots. and the like. Sanctum will be a background available to mutants.

Any Suggestions for this sort of thing?

Hello all,

I've been contemplating a near future setting in which low power Novas (12 Nova Points, Permanent Quantum x's 3 in Temporary Quantum) are the heros/mutant threat. In this setting a select group of Mutant characters will be attempting to thwart the efforts of rogue "Paranormal" beings. This group (Name Pending) will exist as heros that governments tend to despise, and most folks fear etc.

Im thinking that Trinity-era hard tech will be available, but no biotech (not the psionic-alien stuff anyways). Space travel will be in this solar system (Asteroid and Gas mining, Moon Bases), with only unmanned probes going farther (thats the official story anyway). Despite their quantum powers etc, human tech at this level will still be quite dangerous, and likely to give cocky mutants a real headache.

Villains will include: Extradimensional Aliens (from Cthuloid to just Violent), Rogue Mutants, Metadrug Cartels, Government Agents, Sentinel-like Police Robots. and the like. Sanctum will be a background available to mutants.

Any Suggestions for this sort of thing?

Not for setting, but for rules - if you're limiting the starting number of nova points, then I'd also suggest limiting how they use them. No more than three NP for Attributes or Abilities, etc. I'd also raise the XP cost for megas and powers by at least one, making level one powers current*4, level twos current*6, etc. That would be easier than being stingy on handing out the XP. That way, you are forcing the characters to limit their powers and megas to a choice of (at most) one or two, and you're also keeping them away from almost every single level three power. Don't let them buy starting quantum with bonus points (or at least bump it up to 10 BP/ Quantum).

Archived