My body continues to betray me!

Heritage

So I always knew it would happen - shooting pains from my elbow to my palm, tingling, etc.

F@CK.

So right now, I'm gonna stop playing first-person shooters on my PC, get proper elevation on my home computer chair, and try to use my mouse left handed for awhile (not as impossible as I thought, but still damn challenging).

Anyone else have war stories of defeating the scourge of CTS?

Well, I don't really get CTS, but due to my gimpy right forearm(tons o' orthopedic surgery in the past), I do have periods where the tendons get cramped and cause horrible shooting pain(basically temporary tendonitis).

I usually do the same thing you do...lay off playing DoD and anything that requires lots of mouse movement. Typing is rarely a problem for me though.

Diablo got me to the point where I had to quit (click, click, click). At work I wear a wrist support band. I've bought 'thumb' mouses for both home and work, ditto erganomic (split) keyboards. Yoga actually helps. These things take a long time to cause, and even longer to heal.

Speech Recognition software...dictate the game to the evil Commie Pewter! Go in Word, go to tools, scroll down to Speech, install the thing...and tell us how it works!  ::wink

P.S. Here's a link in case you're considering it..

You've played that game for the PS2 - Lifeline - haven't you?

I've beaten that game, and it was designed for you to give commands by voice. Hell with trying to play something like Diablo2 or Thief that way! ::huh ::wacko

Oh, I meant dictate WJ to the computer...I'm selfish that way, screw the shooters!

Besides, it'd be kinda lame playing with speech recognition

"Ohh, hide behind that box! Aagh! Shoot him, aim for the head! The HEAD dammit!"

On a second thought...might be funny as hell.... ::tongue

For the record, I have not been officially diagnosed, so I shouldn't jump to conclusions, but the link that Zeke included does describe the pain to a T. In addition, I think my bursitis flared up again. I need to get a more comfortable, higher chair - if I put pillows on my current one, it elevates me higher, but if I forget, the strain of having my elbow below the line of the keyboard makes it really bad on my mouse hand.

p.s. I have to invoke one of my all-time favorite Buffy quotes based off of my first sentence:

Giles: "Yes, let's not jump to any conclusions."

Buffy: "I didn't jump. I took a tiny step, and there conclusions were."

I practice Aikido and we have an ecersice that might help (no, it does not involve bullettime).

1. push out your hands straight forward and try to "bend" your hands back untill you feel a constant strain along the "upper" side of your hand.

2. After about 10-20 seconds, let your hands go down to your waist, still with tension. '

3. Shake your hands.

According to a couple of guys who train with me, it helped for there "mouse arm", or CTS.

Otherwise, bubblebaths are recomended ::biggrin

Archived