Sometimes, when the DM says a mountain falls on yo

BlueNinja

"Sometimes, when the DM says a mountain falls on you, it falls on you, and that's it."

He'd tried forcing a tunnel through some rubble in an abandoned enemy base by sheer strength, using a low grade geo-kinesis ability to keep it in place. This was fine until he set off a booby trap.

I had him roll an Initiative against the mountain, noting that he had a Dex bonus and the mountain didn't. The mountain won anyway, by 4 points.

His tunnel was three feet high, and I said that it collapsed on him. He argued that it takes time for a landslide to come down a mountain, so he should be able to get clear. I pointed out that this "landslide" only had three feet to fall, and that it had several moments of time before he could react. He argued that he should be able to divert it with Geo-Kinesis. I said he was free to make the roll, on his initiative, at which time he could redirect anything that was still in motion. He argued that..., well, he just argued and argued and argued.

The stupid thing was that the collapse wasn't going to do any real damage to him.

::lol ::laugh A friend of mine posted this story on another gaming site, when a thread started up about rules lawyers. I thought it was entertaining, especially the line about initiative. How would you feel, if you lost an initiative roll to a pile of rubble?

Bahamut, Its all thanks to the cake I tell you, it is all thanks to the cake...

However, to return on topic, I would not feel to bad. Think about it, a mountain. It have momentum, strength, the DM knows how many healthlevels... it stands to reason that it have a LOT of dex as well (although probably lacking in the Wits department).

(Thats sarcasm, just so that you know).

Personaly I have had a long streak of bad experience with rule lawyers. I like my games fast and loose, and dont mind the rules to much unless it comes to combat (dont want anyone feeling bad cos there character died or lost a limb thanks to me forgeting that soak or the +2 bonus in initiative or whatever) or other dangerous situations. This of course sometimes leads to discussion, and usualy if the player comes with a reasonable reason for why this rule should be broken or used or whatever, I dont mind to much, instead agreeing (who cares realy, in my mind the roleplaying part is the fun one).

However, some people have seen my lack of... firmness as weakness and have tried to argue totaly idiotic points over (I still remember the time when one player said the same thing over and over for 45 minutes and endig it all with stating the only reason I did not agree with her was that she where a women ::shrug::).

Archived