Aberrant: Trans-Dimensional Explorations - Trans-Dimensional Explorations

BlueNinja

Still 2 Dec 2020

approx 1930

Brandt glances over at the agents, then straightens up from his slouch against the wall. "Does anyone mind if I meet you in Philadelphia? I'd enjoy the opportunity to get a closer look at the differences between our worlds."
Blackman frowns, and stares at Brandt. "What, are you planning to walk? Or ... oh, wait. You did that blinking from one spot to another thing. Can you actually keep up with a jet that way?"
Paul nods at Ryan's statements without commenting.

To the listening Priest he comments, "You asked about the bodycount of the attack we saw. We can't say, we bugged out while it was still only in the tens or hundreds of millions. Potentially it was total."

Ryan and Blackman both stare at Paul. Ryan mutters something under his breath about nightmares.
"Er, we probably should have mentioned this sooner, but Zhenglai and Simon can both teleport groups of people. I'm not sure the plane will be necessary, if you can get us a picture of the building we can be there sooner than we could get to the plane. Thank you for the offer, though, and sorry I didn't say anything before."
Both agents look at the featureless black mask, and the weathered Chinese face, and then at each other. "Yeah, that might have been a little helpful to mention earlier. ::glare I don't suppose you can drop us at the Inquisition headquarters and we can take cars from there? If we just ... appear ... in the middle of the Quorum building, security will probably start shooting."

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still 2 Dec 2020

approx 1930

Blackman frowns, and stares at Brandt. "What, are you planning to walk? Or ... oh, wait. You did that blinking from one spot to another thing. Can you actually keep up with a jet that way?"

Brandt laughs. He's so unused to people questioning his speed that he can't help himself. He waves an apology at the agent. "Sorry. Yes, I can easily keep pace with a jet, especially a commercial one. I can actually move quite a bit faster than jets fly, but I try to keep below the speed of sound while I'm near populated areas."

Ryan and Blackman both stare at Paul. Ryan mutters something under his breath about nightmares.

Both agents look at the featureless black mask, and the weathered Chinese face, and then at each other. "Yeah, that might have been a little helpful to mention earlier. ::glare I don't suppose you can drop us at the Inquisition headquarters and we can take cars from there? If we just ... appear ... in the middle of the Quorum building, security will probably start shooting."

Paul shrugs. He's not going to be the one to mention the likely results if bullets start flying.

Still 2 Dec 2020

approx 1930

The mask stands unmoving. "The answer to your original question is Yes. The mask can take you anywhere you wish to go gentlemen, as can the ancient one here. Perhaps you could alert your command that a gate will be opening in their area of control, if you're concerned about small arms fire. The bullets don't pose an issue to the Mask, but it may inconveniance you two baselines." The mask turns to notice the rest of his group giving him the look. "You two gentlemen..."

The mask stands unmoving. "The answer to your original question is Yes. The mask can take you anywhere you wish to go gentlemen, as can the ancient one here. Perhaps you could alert your command that a gate will be opening in their area of control, if you're concerned about small arms fire. The bullets don't pose an issue to the Mask, but it may inconveniance you two baselines." The mask turns to notice the rest of his group giving him the look. "You two gentlemen..."

"Maybe one of you could come with us?" Theo asked. "You don't both have to report in, right?"

*maybe two of them would be a problem but I think we can handle one. Unless he erupts....*

Theo turned abruptly away from the two Inquisitors to face the rest of the group.

*you don't think that everyone here is going to erupt, do you? everyone on this planet?*

"Maybe one of you could come with us?" Theo asked. "You don't both have to report in, right?"

*maybe two of them would be a problem but I think we can handle one. Unless he erupts....*

*Handle? You mean physically? Esteban or Brandt by themselves could deal with both of them. Protecting the mapper from them pointing a gun at it would be harder but only slightly.*
Theo turned abruptly away from the two Inquisitors to face the rest of the group.

*you don't think that everyone here is going to erupt, do you? everyone on this planet?*

Paul sends back,

*Not everyone. But I think everyone who has even the slightest potential will. The level of Q exposure on this world is MUCH higher, and Brandt claims it spreads a lot further. Real soon it'll be like everyone having quantum powers used on them all the time.*

*In our world, how many people have actually met a nova? Seen them use their powers in person? Had powers used on them? Maybe one person out of a hundred? So they'll have 100 times as many novas as we do, and they'll get them quicker.*

*Handle? You mean physically? Esteban or Brandt by themselves could deal with both of them. Protecting the mapper from them pointing a gun at it would be harder but only slightly.*

Paul sends back,

*Not everyone. But I think everyone who has even the slightest potential will. The level of Q exposure on this world is MUCH higher, and Brandt claims it spreads a lot further. Real soon it'll be like everyone having quantum powers used on them all the time.*

*In our world, how many people have actually met a nova? Seen them use their powers in person? Had powers used on them? Maybe one person out of a hundred? So they'll have 100 times as many novas as we do, and they'll get them quicker.*

Zhenglai sent over the link, *You seem awefully sure of those facts, Doctor Blue, but I do not doubt you. And not to change the subject, but what about those we have brought with us? Are they going to continue on with us, or should we see to it that they are taken safely back to their homes? I would be glad to volunteer to transport them myself if need be, though I do think that some of them at least would make valuable allies in our meeting with this Quorum. As would Brother Max if he is willing to accompany us.*

Zhenglai sent over the link, *You seem awefully sure of those facts, Doctor Blue, but I do not doubt you. And not to change the subject, but what about those we have brought with us? Are they going to continue on with us, or should we see to it that they are taken safely back to their homes? I would be glad to volunteer to transport them myself if need be, though I do think that some of them at least would make valuable allies in our meeting with this Quorum. As would Brother Max if he is willing to accompany us.*
Paul sends back,

*:Snort: I'm not sure of anything here. It's a WAG based on what little we know, and if Michal or one of you with Mega-Smarts wants to correct me I'm good with that. Sixteen times greater, sixteen thousand times greater, whatever.*

*I think the new novas are safer with us, especially looking as some of them do. Their homes aren’t going to be safe because the local cops might decide they’re demons. At least this way if the Quorum decides that they can do so to the face of the Priest they’re condemning. Our burning Priest here ultimately works for one of them, that’s maybe a vote and one we need. As for Brother Max, he and they and we are probably all better off if he stays in the closet for now.*

Brandt laughs. He's so unused to people questioning his speed that he can't help himself. He waves an apology at the agent. "Sorry. Yes, I can easily keep pace with a jet, especially a commercial one. I can actually move quite a bit faster than jets fly, but I try to keep below the speed of sound while I'm near populated areas."
Blackman shrugs. "That's not my call. If your leader doesn't have a problem with it, I doubt there's anything I can do to stop you. But you might want to pick up a map. Um, and here." He pulls out a small notebook, writes something, and tears out the page. "This should convince the guards to let you inside, at least long enough for one of us to verify you."
The two agents look at each other. "Um, the Inquisition headquarters normally isn't photographed, for security reasons." Ryan fiddles with his sunglasses. "Maybe the Adams Memorial Park?"

Blackman looks at her in surprise. "Accompanying you to the Quorum is reporting in - for the moment. I just suggested dropping us at the Inquisition headquarters because I know I can requisition a limo in short order. Ride in style. ::ultracool "

The two agents look at each other. "Um, the Inquisition headquarters normally isn't photographed, for security reasons." Ryan fiddles with his sunglasses. "Maybe the Adams Memorial Park?"

Zhenglai spoke up and said, 'Agent Ryan, if you don't have any photographs, perhaps you'd be willing to allow me to take a look inside your mind? I can see where it is through you, and then our problem is solved. However, if this is, for whatever reason, unacceptable then either myself or Simon would be happy to transport you to this park you mentioned.'

Zhenglai spoke up and said, 'Agent Ryan, if you don't have any photographs, perhaps you'd be willing to allow me to take a look inside your mind? I can see where it is through you, and then our problem is solved. However, if this is, for whatever reason, unacceptable then either myself or Simon would be happy to transport you to this park you mentioned.'
Ryan gapes for a moment, then manages to stammer out, "Er, ah, yeah, ah, that's ok." Touching his mind, Zhenglai can easily get a view of an impressive lobby area, concealed behind tinted glass and overlooking the Potomac River.
"Style isn't really necessary, but if warping to your headquarters is more convenient then let's go ahead and do it. Are you sure that warping into the middle of Inquisition headquarters isn't just as dangerous as warping into the middle of the Quorum?"
Blackman shakes his head. "The lobby, at this hour, won't be too busy, and it'll mostly be the die-hard administrators. Besides, you'll be there on my authority." He grins confidently.

Ryan gapes for a moment, then manages to stammer out, "Er, ah, yeah, ah, that's ok." Touching his mind, Zhenglai can easily get a view of an impressive lobby area, concealed behind tinted glass and overlooking the Potomac River.

After he finished, Zhenglai tried to reassure Agent Ryan by saying, 'Thankyou young man, that was very brave of you.'

Turning to the others he said, 'I have all the information I need; we can leave whenever everyone is ready.'

The mask holds his hands out in front of him as the air begins to shimmer..and twist...then sollidify. He stands coccooned in a semi transparent shell.

"Ancient, with your vision, please take us there. Defenses have been prepared, just in case."((FF please))

Paul moves so that he's going to be behind The Mask stepping through the warp. ::sly

Zhenglai creates the portal, and Blackman and Ryan step through, followed by the rest of the party, the four local novas, and Brother Max. The lobby is decorated Spartanly, and clustered behind the desks and by the elevators are small groups of mostly bureaucrats, with a few MiGs. Blackman has his badge out, talking with the other MiGs. Nobody has weapons out, though it's obvious that most of the bureaucrats are busy freaking out.

After a few minutes, Blackman comes over to the group. "Our limo will be outside the front doors in about five minutes. Some days, I love being an Inquisitor." ::ultracool

The limo ride through Philadelphia is uneventful, and the limo soon pulls up in an underground garage underneath a palatial-looking building near the riverfront. Waiting in a large elevator is an elderly woman wearing a sort of nun's outfit in burgundy and yellow. "Greetings, visitors. These agents have seen fit to inform us of your other-worldly origins. If you would join me, I will take you to the rest of the Quorum." She then looks over at Brother Max, and actually smiles, somewhat easing the severe lines on her face. "Hello, Maximus."

He steps forward and bows over her hand. "Hello. Gentlemen and ladies, it is my pleasure to introduce you to Archbishop Racine of the Living Flame, the divine voice of my sect."

Esteban continues his ruse as Kristen's stray cat, and either allows himself to be carried through the warp or just follows along nonchalantly.,,

*So when were we going to verify this world with the Starmap?*

Paul sends back,

*Another question is, 'should we'? If we don't find any aliens here we're opening the door for a civil war.*

Paul sends back,

*Another question is, 'should we'? If we don't find any aliens here we're opening the door for a civil war.*

*If for no other reason than to fullfill our contract, yes. We don't have to share our findings with them if it is deemed unprudent but Michal will definitely require confirmation. I imagine he is already wondering why we haven't checked in in over 6 hours...*

The limo ride through Philadelphia is uneventful, and the limo soon pulls up in an underground garage underneath a palatial-looking building near the riverfront. Waiting in a large elevator is an elderly woman wearing a sort of nun's outfit in burgundy and yellow. "Greetings, visitors. These agents have seen fit to inform us of your other-worldly origins. If you would join me, I will take you to the rest of the Quorum." She then looks over at Brother Max, and actually smiles, somewhat easing the severe lines on her face. "Hello, Maximus."

He steps forward and bows over her hand. "Hello. Gentlemen and ladies, it is my pleasure to introduce you to Archbishop Racine of the Living Flame, the divine voice of my sect."

Zhenglai performed his traditional, two-fisted greeting and bowed his head, 'It is an honor to meet you Madame, thank you so much for so graciously agreeing to meet with us, and under such short notice.'

Over the link he sends, *We should be honest with them. There is no virtue in decietfulness, and we should not make our decisions based off of what might be. If we discover that they are not threatened from without we are only bringing them good news. If they choose to take it ill, and use it as an excuse to perpetrate violence on each other, that is not our burden to bear.*

Jonathan nods to Racine. "It's nice to meet you," he says, managing a friendly smile.

* If they're expecting the aliens and they don't turn up in a century, it will likely cause worse than that. Besides, we need to know whether or not they're coming here just as much as the people here need proof. *

Jonathan nods to Racine. "It's nice to meet you," he says, managing a friendly smile.

* If they're expecting the aliens and they don't turn up in a century, it will likely cause worse than that. Besides, we need to know whether or not they're coming here just as much as the people here need proof. *

Theo smiled hesitantly at the others.

*In a century it won't matter. Heck, in 10 years it won't matter. IMHO it's a minor point, I'm so sure that they're out there that if not for the contract there'd be no point in checking. That leaves our only concern them trying to grab the scanner.*

*In a century it won't matter. Heck, in 10 years it won't matter. IMHO it's a minor point, I'm so sure that they're out there that if not for the contract there'd be no point in checking. That leaves our only concern them trying to grab the scanner.*

*We really need to know how to make our own viewers,* Theo sighed mentally.

*We really need to know how to make our own viewers,* Theo sighed mentally.
Paul sends back,

::idea Wait a moment. We already know how. The viewer was found by Michal, so he must know exactly where it was found. If we went to a close world, say, nuclear world for example, and went to that exact spot, it'd have a scanner, wouldn't it?*

Zhenglai performed his traditional, two-fisted greeting and bowed his head, 'It is an honor to meet you Madame, thank you so much for so graciously agreeing to meet with us, and under such short notice.'
Racine, with a sort of careful grace, returns the bow, and the greetings for the rest of the party. "I hope that such short notice will cause some of my fellow Quorum members to leave off the endless repetitive debates in favor of an actual decision."

She leads everyone to a large conference room, and a table that looks designed to seat fifty in comfort. Waiting are three elderly white men, all wearing their own adaptations of priestly garb (one, wearing a stole embroidered with a dove and a hawk, accepts a bow from the Burning Priest) and a middle-aged black man wearing an outfit that looks designed more for combat than preaching. Racine leads everyone to their seats on one side of the table, placing Max at the foot with the locals, and Jonathan next to the head, then joins the other Quorum members across the table from the party, with Blackman and Ryan a few seats down from them. "Gentlemen and ladies, may I introduce to you Archbishop Alexander of the Rising Calvary," and the man with the stole gives a short bow, "Archbishop Jenkins of the Baptismal Fount," the man dressed in various shades of blue nods politely to the party, and winks at Theo, "Brother Reese of the Brethren of Joseph," the man wearing almost a monk's brown robe, only of silk, executes a bow nimble enough to do Zhenglai proud, "and Reverend Cleophus James of the Last Doctrine."

The last introduction is said with such a slight undercurrent of distaste that, without their nova abilities, Jonathan, Zhenglai, and Simon would not have noticed it. The man himself is dressed in a gold robe, with embroidery that seem to vaguely imply both divinity and demonic. He slides his stare slowly down the table to take in each party member, then moves on to the locals, before finally sitting abruptly. "Let's get this started," he growls out, and pulls out a pack of cigarettes. "Why don't you start with where you're really from and why you came here." Jenkins looks at him askance, but holds his tongue.

Esteban narrows his slitted eyes at the representatives of the various priesthoods.

Better safe than sorry...

Activating his passive Quantum senses, he checks to see if any of the Quorum members have already been touched by the spreading wave of eruptions, or may be in process right now from the team's presence.

Paul bows to the assembled notables and says,

"Greetings.

He slides his stare slowly down the table to take in each party member, then moves on to the locals, before finally sitting abruptly. "Let's get this started," he growls out, and pulls out a pack of cigarettes. "Why don't you start with where you're really from and why you came here." Jenkins looks at him askance, but holds his tongue.
Paul says respectfully,

"Which part of our story do you doubt? Our power we can demonstrate easily enough. Our intentions are harder, but we don't have to be here, and we aren't going to stay."

"Dr. Blue here is correct. The situation is such, that your acceptance is not a requirement. This group is here to deliver information and assist with defense. If you wish not this aid, then populace and gathered masses will surely suffer for it."

The shimmering around Simon ceases as his forcefield melds back into the quantum field around them.

*Wait a moment. We already know how. The viewer was found by Michal, so he must know exactly where it was found. If we went to a close world, say, nuclear world for example, and went to that exact spot, it'd have a scanner, wouldn't it?*

*Maybe there's one here!?!*

"Gentlemen and ladies, may I introduce to you Archbishop Alexander of the Rising Calvary," and the man with the stole gives a short bow, "Archbishop Jenkins of the Baptismal Fount," the man dressed in various shades of blue nods politely to the party, and winks at Theo, "Brother Reese of the Brethren of Joseph," the man wearing almost a monk's brown robe, only of silk, executes a bow nimble enough to do Zhenglai proud, "and Reverend Cleophus James of the Last Doctrine."

Theo blinked, a faint blush coloring her pale cheeks.
The last introduction is said with such a slight undercurrent of distaste that, without their nova abilities, Jonathan, Zhenglai, and Simon would not have noticed it. The man himself is dressed in a gold robe, with embroidery that seem to vaguely imply both divinity and demonic. He slides his stare slowly down the table to take in each party member, then moves on to the locals, before finally sitting abruptly. "Let's get this started," he growls out, and pulls out a pack of cigarettes. "Why don't you start with where you're really from and why you came here." Jenkins looks at him askance, but holds his tongue.

Theo frowned at Cleopus James. Was this person the one they'd really need to convince? She glanced at Paul doubtfully.

Brandt gives a short, sardonic laugh and stares at the man, answering just as directly. "We're from an alternate world, a different version of your own. I could bore you with the details of multiple-universe theory, but I suspect you don't care. We're here to warn you and the rest of your world about an alien threat that we have personally seen decimate entire planets. This alien threat is quite real, and according to the odds, probably on its way towards this planet as we speak."

He raises an eyebrow. "Anything else?"

Activating his passive Quantum senses, he checks to see if any of the Quorum members have already been touched by the spreading wave of eruptions, or may be in process right now from the team's presence.
So far, the only novas in the room are the ones you brought with you.
Brandt gives a short, sardonic laugh and stares at the man, answering just as directly. "We're from an alternate world, a different version of your own. I could bore you with the details of multiple-universe theory, but I suspect you don't care. We're here to warn you and the rest of your world about an alien threat that we have personally seen decimate entire planets. This alien threat is quite real, and according to the odds, probably on its way towards this planet as we speak."

He raises an eyebrow. "Anything else?"

Cleophus stares you down for a moment, then cracks a small smile. "You guys are tough. Don't bend an inch. I respect that. So, what is this alien threat, conquerer of worlds?"

Jenkins gestures to Bradley and the other novas. "Some of us were watching the broadcast in its entirety. Will these sort of things happen to everyone? A majority? A select, chosen few?"

So far, the only novas in the room are the ones you brought with you.

Cleophus stares you down for a moment, then cracks a small smile. "You guys are tough. Don't bend an inch. I respect that. So, what is this alien threat, conquerer of worlds?"

Jenkins gestures to Bradley and the other novas. "Some of us were watching the broadcast in its entirety. Will these sort of things happen to everyone? A majority? A select, chosen few?"

"It will most likely be a very small portion of the population. On our world I don't think it's even a half a percent. People seem to be awakening to their abilities a bit faster here than on our world, so you may wind up with more novas, but I doubt it will be more than one in a hundred."

"The aliens have a very large fleet of ships that travel from world to world, stripping them of resources before moving on. One earth we visited was a bit more advanced in space exploration than we were, and apparently the aliens noticed them and sent four ships ahead to deal with them."

Jonathan's face steadily grows colder and harder as he continues, "Even though we were able to warn them ahead of time, and even though they had an army of novas ready to fight when the ships arrived, at least one ship survived and nearly every major city on earth had been destroyed by the time we were forced to retreat. We've got as much technical information about the ships as we could gather, and we've even picked up a handful of pieces of alien technology as we've gone from world to world. We can share what we know about the fleet, and hopefully at some point when we've had more time to research it, but I want you to understand how dangerous the situation you're in is, and how difficult it will be to put together defenses capable of holding back the alien fleet without their noticing. It's going to take the cooperation of the entire world."

Paul snorts and replies,

"Conquer? We should be so lucky they want to ‘conquer’ us. What? Maybe they want our women? One of the hardest things to accept is the scale these things operate on. Your mental image of them is probably 6 main characters on a spaceship with a few hundred extras. You’re probably wondering how something like that could deal with a planet.”

“The reality is these are world ships. This is a race's migration, not an army. Smart money says they out number us by a lot. We know they go from system to system, strip mining planets for what they need. The Earth has water, oxygen, iron, all sorts of things they need to expand their population.”

“Their actions on the other Earths have a certain brutal logic. If they ignored us, then in a thousand years we’d have a multi-system empire of our own set up, and we’d be fighting them for resources. So, they’re going to act first. Better still, if they exterminate us they still get to take the Earth’s water, etc.”

Zhenglai performed his traditional bow to each of the Quorum members in turn as he was introduced to them, exchanging any pleasantries as necessary, and then joined everyone at the table. During the following discussions he remained silent as his companions were doing a more than adequate job of answering all the questions, but he carefully watched each of the participants and listened to everything that was said. He could see that there were a number of theopolitical issues simmering under the surface here and he wanted to get a sense of which direction this Quorum was leaning in.

((Zhenglai will use the passive side of Emo Manip to try and gauge the feelings of those gathered, and a Rapport roll (bolstered and aided by his Autonomy) to discern motivations.))

Archived