Aberrant: Trans-Dimensional Explorations - Trans-Dimensional Explorations

BlueNinja

Esteban scratches behind one ear and remarks,

*If we are indeed looking at a slow-burn Overclocked, we need to warn them immediately of the dangers of Quantum Backlash, and the potential mental effects. From the way their government is set up, and their conflict with the "Confucians" I doubt that will have the infrastructure to form a Utopian-like response to the coming crisis. With the taint-out-the-gate symptoms we've already seen there are going to be some messy eruptions...*

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul says,

"Firstly we're here to verify a bunch of intell which turned out to be wrong. Knowing that you had vast experience with novas, we wanted to check out your social set up and at the same time beg, trade for, or steal some of your higher level of technology. What we found was that our level of technology is much higher, and we have had novas for much longer. So basically we're here wasting our time." Paul looks slightly irritated, he's making the best of an annoying situation.

Jonathan cuts in saying, "But the reason we're out exploring other worlds is that our world, and probably yours as well, is in danger. We didn't have time to explain this on the show, and also felt that we might need to break this to your world slowly, as I'm sure you can understand, but your entire world is at risk. There is an alien fleet heading towards this planet, fully intent on wiping out humanity and draining this planet of its resources. We thought you might like to find out about that a little bit ahead of time."

* A telepath? Well, at least it wasn't one of the Inquisitors. Think how bad that would be for the locals. *

Esteban sounds concerned.

*Ehhh..we haven't had time yet to bring the mapper through and verify that. Jonathan may have to eat his words...which may hurt our credibility but will certainly be one less problem for them...*

* Perhaps, but unfortunately nothing unites people like a common threat, and I'd like to leave this world a little less divided and bigoted. Besides, this world didn't split off that long ago, the chances of the fleet not being on their way here are slim to none. Better they start preparing early just in case the aliens decide to come early to another world. *

Paul gives a snort at Jonathan's phrasing (and Esteban's words) and says,

"Probably? They must have started heading our way tens of thousands of years ago. Our world only split with this one only a few decades ago. If the worlds that split from us thousands of years ago still have them, then this world certainly does."

Simon adds through the link.

*I'm not sure it can be done, but perhaps, in lieu of the mapper, I can whip something up that will get the same point across. Perhaps a few digital photos from space...heh. I have never tried to replicate our mapper, it is too complex. Though maybe a smaller less complicated model may be possible. One that can properly display these aliens as they approach, so the Inquisitors have something to use as tangible proof. Or, perhaps, I could take them to space and have a look with their own eyes. This also may be possible, if I had their coordinates and such.*

"Probably? They must have started heading our way tens of thousands of years ago. Our world only split with this one only a few decades ago. If the worlds that split from us thousands of years ago still have them, then this world certainly does."

*Time is not linear. It is Hubris to say that you know all the variables that may be involved. Though you may yet be proven correct, we should always check our facts...*

Paul sends back to everyone *I think so... but that wasn't a call I wanted to make by myself. Also we just had a telepath either hack into my side of the network or join it. He's even more suprised at this than I was. I'm not sure how much of this he's getting but he seems to have erupted when I healed that gal. No name yet but he works at some mall.*

*can he hear us?* Theo demanded silently, her eyes flaring slightly in alarm. She shot the two men in the gray suits a suspicious glance.

Simon adds through the link.

*I'm not sure it can be done, but perhaps, in lieu of the mapper, I can whip something up that will get the same point across. Perhaps a few digital photos from space...heh. I have never tried to replicate our mapper, it is too complex. Though maybe a smaller less complicated model may be possible. One that can properly display these aliens as they approach, so the Inquisitors have something to use as tangible proof. Or, perhaps, I could take them to space and have a look with their own eyes. This also may be possible, if I had their coordinates and such.*

Paul sends,

*If you can replicate even that part of the mapper then you'll be saving us a lot of risk on later trips. As for taking them into space... if you're going to get that close then we'll be running another experiment on whether or not they can see you and whether or not they can track you. That might be information that we need to know, so I'm in favor.*

*Time is not linear. It is Hubris to say that you know all the variables that may be involved. Though you may yet e proven correct, we should always check our facts...*
Paul thinks for a moment and then sends,

*OK, point. We *are* pretty ignorant of far too many aspects of this. But I'm willing to renew our bet they're there.* ::devil

*can he hear us?* Theo demanded silently, her eyes flaring slightly in alarm. She shot the two men in the gray suits a suspicious glance.
*I'm not sure. Maybe. Maybe not. I haven't tried kicking him out. But as far as I can tell he's not one of them, he's just a normal guy who erupted.*

*Yep. When you want the show keep an eye out for the chick with the burns. The moment she got healed she errupted, and I think so did you. I'm the guy who healed her. I'd wave at the camera but the show has already ended.*

*Say, that's a point. If I knew how far away you were from Brother Max's studio I'd have an idea on the range of this thing. Is the mini-mart near by his studio?*

*Um, no. He films out of Boston, and I'm in Pittsburg. Er, a suburb, you know.* There's a moment of silence, then something like awe. *So, you're, like, in the studio? Awesome. Do you think you could get me his autograph?*
Jonathan cuts in saying, "But the reason we're out exploring other worlds is that our world, and probably yours as well, is in danger. We didn't have time to explain this on the show, and also felt that we might need to break this to your world slowly, as I'm sure you can understand, but your entire world is at risk. There is an alien fleet heading towards this planet, fully intent on wiping out humanity and draining this planet of its resources. We thought you might like to find out about that a little bit ahead of time."
One of the MiGs opens his mouth, as though to say something, but Paul interrupts.

He closes his mouth, and then speaks anyway. "So. You're telling me that you're from a ... what, different dimension, or something? And you came here to warn us, and instead started turning our citizens into mutated super-beings?" He glances at his partner. "I can't help but feel that we're being left out of the loop on something very important."

He closes his mouth, and then speaks anyway. "So. You're telling me that you're from a ... what, different dimension, or something? And you came here to warn us, and instead started turning our citizens into mutated super-beings?" He glances at his partner. "I can't help but feel that we're being left out of the loop on something very important."

"You didn't find anything, did you?" Theo asked quietly. "Some strange artifact or device? Really old? Something that didn't look or feel right? Maybe more than one?"

"You didn't find anything, did you?" Theo asked quietly. "Some strange artifact or device? Really old? Something that didn't look or feel right? Maybe more than one?"

"Well, now that Theo mentions it, there is a bit more to the story, but you've got the basic gist of it. On some of the worlds we've gone to we've found some alien technology. From what we can tell, there was some kind of intergalactic war thousands of years ago, and the incoming fleet is made up of survivors from the losing side. There's bits of alien technology buried somewhere in the world, and some of the devices have.... well, side effects, I suppose you could say."

He glances at the others, then continues. One world we went to, their quantum field had gone crazy, everyone's powers were turning on them doing a lot of damage. It turned out that someone had uncovered a piece of alien technology that was leaking quantum energy, or something along those lines, and we had to destroy the device to return things to normal." He looks at Theo. "Now that you mention it, I'm starting to worry that something similar has happened here."

*If you can replicate even that part of the mapper then you'll be saving us a lot of risk on later trips. As for taking them into space... if you're going to get that close then we'll be running another experiment on whether or not they can see you and whether or not they can track you. That might be information that we need to know, so I'm in favor.*

* I'm NOT in favor of that plan. Not only is it a rather unnecessary risk, but if they can track you, and they think these people are advanced enough to warp around space at will, the aliens will consider them much more of a threat. I'm not ready to put this world at that kind of risk. We've seen what it's like when the aliens attack a world as advanced as ours that's had prior warning. This world would be obliterated in the blink of an eye. *

*Um, no. He films out of Boston, and I'm in Pittsburg. Er, a suburb, you know.* There's a moment of silence, then something like awe. *So, you're, like, in the studio? Awesome. Do you think you could get me his autograph?*
Paul frowns, keeping track of these multiple conversations is wearing on him, and dropping the talk with agents for the moment he walks back over to Brother Max and says (and sends),

"Say, I have a friend in Pittsburg who's a fan of yours and would like your autograph. Do you have a photo I could mail him?"

(Assuming Max is willing, Paul sends)

*Who should I have him make it out to and mail it to?*

"Well, now that Theo mentions it, there is a bit more to the story, but you've got the basic gist of it. On some of the worlds we've gone to we've found some alien technology. From what we can tell, there was some kind of intergalactic war thousands of years ago, and the incoming fleet is made up of survivors from the losing side. There's bits of alien technology buried somewhere in the world, and some of the devices have.... well, side effects, I suppose you could say."

He glances at the others, then continues. One world we went to, their quantum field had gone crazy, everyone's powers were turning on them doing a lot of damage. It turned out that someone had uncovered a piece of alien technology that was leaking quantum energy, or something along those lines, and we had to destroy the device to return things to normal." He looks at Theo. "Now that you mention it, I'm starting to worry that something similar has happened here."

The agents look at each other, then take off the sunglasses and put them away. "If we hadn't just seen the demonstrations on stage, I'd have the lot of you carted off to a sanitarium for observation. Now I can't say for certain, but I am not aware of any kind of hidden alien technology." Blackman rubs the bridge of his nose. "Of course, it's not like we're Bishops or anything. We just got sent here because we were close and we have a good record."
Paul frowns, keeping track of these multiple conversations is wearing on him, and dropping the talk with agents for the moment he walks back over to Brother Max and says (and sends),

"Say, I have a friend in Pittsburg who's a fan of yours and would like your autograph. Do you have a photo I could mail him?"

Brother Max looks at Paul a bit confused. "How do you know anyone in Pittsburg? You're not even from this world."

Brother Max looks at Paul a bit confused. "How do you know anyone in Pittsburg? You're not even from this world."
Paul taps his head and says,

"Broad spectrum telepath. Mostly that means I can talk to animals and insects, which is even less useful than it sounds, but it also means I'm a beacon for some types of the newly erupted. Or at least that's what I think happened. It's possible he erupted when I healed that woman, and mimiced my powers slightly. But anyway it's like having a telephone in my head, and he just picked it up."

Paul shrugs.

"It's not a big deal, I could hang up on him if I wanted to. But this does answer your question about more people erupting tonight. ::sly And since he is a fan of yours and is almost up on stage with us, I thought I'd ask for an autograph. Or maybe what I need to ask is for you to mail it too him."

Paul shrugs.

"It's not a big deal, I could hang up on him if I wanted to. But this does answer your question about more people erupting tonight. ::sly And since he is a fan of yours and is almost up on stage with us, I thought I'd ask for an autograph. Or maybe what I need to ask is for you to mail it too him."

Brother Max blinks, then glances at the others. "Ah. So, you can all have conversations without the danger of being overheard." He smiles slyly. "I have occasionally wished I could do that during meetings with my producers. I suppose I can mail him an autograph, if he'll give you an address."
"What makes for a good record?" Theo asks, curiously.
Blackman grins at his partner. "Most of the time, we get assigned to try and ferret out 'anti-Christian terrorist cells.' In the last ten years, we've captured three spies for the Confucianist government, and dealt with several dozen cases of lying hypocrites hoping that the America Inquisition is run like the Spanish one of centuries past. Since we've had actual success, without dragging in innocent people involved in a squabble or some family feuding, that gives us a good record."

Blackman grins at his partner. "Most of the time, we get assigned to try and ferret out 'anti-Christian terrorist cells.' In the last ten years, we've captured three spies for the Confucianist government, and dealt with several dozen cases of lying hypocrites hoping that the America Inquisition is run like the Spanish one of centuries past. Since we've had actual success, without dragging in innocent people involved in a squabble or some family feuding, that gives us a good record."

An uneasy look covers Jonathan's face. In a less than pleased voice, he says, "Perhaps we should speak to one of the Bishops, then? Give them a thorough explanation and see if they know anything helpful."

Brother Max blinks, then glances at the others. "Ah. So, you can all have conversations without the danger of being overheard." He smiles slyly. "I have occasionally wished I could do that during meetings with my producers. I suppose I can mail him an autograph, if he'll give you an address."
Paul nods without confirming or denying what Brother Max said. The man was far too perceptive. Paul sends,

*You get all that? Who do you want him to make it out too, and where should he send it?*

Paul nods without confirming or denying what Brother Max said. The man was far too perceptive. Paul sends,

*You get all that? Who do you want him to make it out too, and where should he send it?*

With enhanced perception of his own, Esteban picks up on the uneasy body language of his teammates. Following a hunch, Esteban activates his quantum sight, rather than use an active node ping and checks to see if Brother Max might have just undergone a "stealth" eruption...

Esteban scratches behind one ear and remarks,,,

*If we are indeed looking at a slow-burn Overclocked, we need to warn them immediately of the dangers of Quantum Backlash, and the potential mental effects. From the way their government is set up, and their conflict with the "Confucians" I doubt that will have the infrastructure to form a Utopian-like response to the coming crisis. With the taint-out-the-gate symptoms we've already seen there are going to be some messy eruptions...*

*Tell them about Taint...they deserve to know.*

*Ahem*

*Ahem*
Paul blinks and his mental tone is a little embaresed ::blush

(To everyone, but NOT the other teelpath in my head) *Oh, right. I let that one drop didn't I? Sorry.*

*You're right, they have to know. And you're right, we have to tell them. But IMHO we don't dare do that now. Right at this moment people are deciding whether or not novas should be rounded up and burned at the stake. After they make that decission they'll be committed, and there will be enough momentum that it will be hard for them to change their minds.*

*The concept and reality of taint will, IMHO, be enough to shift that from "Novas are useful humans" to "Novas are the demons of history". People will find what they look for, and whatever they look for will create it's own reality. If people expect to erupt as demons that is what will happen.*

*We should tell them after a bit, or right before we leave, which ever comes first.*

Simon adds to the link.

Though the point remains that they must be told. Increased Taint and the nature of abmnormalities is a part of the process Dr. Blue. If the are not made aware, they will think we didn't tell them on purpose and may hate the Novas more than before. At the rate of erruption, within several days the Novas will number in the many rather than the few. The people may indeed create these 'demons' themselves, only to be destroyed by them.

An uneasy look covers Jonathan's face. In a less than pleased voice, he says, "Perhaps we should speak to one of the Bishops, then? Give them a thorough explanation and see if they know anything helpful."
Blackman smiles, and gestures towards the couches. "That's sort of why we're here. To hear you out, and decide how far up the chain of command we should be sending you." He glances at the rapidly emptying theater, and then around the stage. "Ryan, grab a stagehand or two and have them bring out some more chairs." The younger agent sighs, but moves backstage. "So far, I'm willing to believe you - I can't see the Devil starting a hostile takeover of the world starting with a high school student, an art professor, and a janitor."

*He's really - wow! This'll be so cool! Er, um, Andre Montalban, * He rattles off an address to you that sounds like it's the mini-mart he works at.
With enhanced perception of his own, Esteban picks up on the uneasy body language of his teammates. Following a hunch, Esteban activates his quantum sight, rather than use an active node ping and checks to see if Brother Max might have just undergone a "stealth" eruption...
Oh yeah. He's got that sort of instant-trust thing that Jonathan and Zhenglai both have, which might explain why there was less fear and surprise coming off the audience than everyone had feared. Possibly he got a mental upgrade as well, you can't be sure.

Blackman smiles, and gestures towards the couches. "That's sort of why we're here. To hear you out, and decide how far up the chain of command we should be sending you." He glances at the rapidly emptying theater, and then around the stage. "Ryan, grab a stagehand or two and have them bring out some more chairs." The younger agent sighs, but moves backstage. "So far, I'm willing to believe you - I can't see the Devil starting a hostile takeover of the world starting with a high school student, an art professor, and a janitor."
::blink
*He's really - wow! This'll be so cool! Er, um, Andre Montalban, * He rattles off an address to you that sounds like it's the mini-mart he works at.
Paul grabs a pen had writes down the name and address, having him spell it if need be. Paul glances at Brother Max to see if he approves of this whole undertaking, but from his previous show biz experiences he expects there won't be any problems.
*By the way...Brother Max here is a Nova...enhanced social and mental capabilities...* Esteban licks a paw and smoothes the fur behind his ears in a gesture that is both feline and very self satisfied.
::ohmy Paul blinks and comments, *I don't think he knows. Hmm... It might be better if he knew and they didn't.*

Paul says,

"You're right about the phone, it has it's uses and it works for any willing nova. So... would you like to give it a try?" Paul extends his hand to Max and watches his eyes to see if he picks up what he means.

"I... I can't," Theo faltered, her face pale. It was ok when the room was almost empty, but now there were so many people... and the cameras...!

"Please don't make me go out there...!"

Zhenglai ((who's been unusually quiet for a long time now, even for him ::wink )) shuffled his way over to Theo, his cane tapping a slow measured cadence with each step of his old feet. Upon reaching her, he stopped and patted her arm, while looking at the others present.

'Actually, said Zhenglai, 'I was hoping that Theo would keep me company back here while the rest of you go out to face the public. I fear that my... unfortunate... ethnic appearance... might do more harm than good. What with them being at war with these 'Confuscists' and all. Then seeming to suddenly remember himself, he turned to Theo and added, 'That is, if you don't mind? I've been feeling very much like the odd man out since shortly after we arrived, but if you were to wait back here with me during the show I wouldn't feel quite so left out...

He smiled as he gave Theo a look and a heavy-lidded wink that (hopefully) seemed to both say, 'here's your out, if you still want it', and simultaneously to ask with total sincerity, 'you don't mind humoring a silly old man for a little while, do you?'

((OOC: I'm inserting this bit, and going back this far, not only as a way of putting Zhenglai back into the action after my prolonged absence ::blush , but also because Zhenglai has the strong feeling - via BN's OOC advice from way back in April or May - that it would be best if he appeared to be as subservient to the other PCs, and as "not-in-charge", as possible. Thus it follows that having a "Confuscist" appear on national television and try to advise a leading religious figure on what "his people" should be doing in the immediate future would probably be a bad idea. ::wink So it made sense that he wouldn't have gone out on stage anyway, and this was as good a way as any to explain that. Now back to the show.))

During the broadcast Zhenglai made no attempt to comment, verbally or mentally, to any of the discussions that went on between his friends, feeling that he had little to offer in terms of either knowledge or wisdom. Instead he took the opportunity to watch and observe the reactions of the audience, of the show's host, and of the four they had managed to bring with them to the studios.

((OOC: I'm hoping that an hour's shooting time is long enough for Zhenglai to make all of the necassary Per+Emp.Manip. rolls, but if not he'll focus primarily on the flaming priest guy, the sticky guy, and Brother Max. Zhenglai is only trying to gauge their overall reactions to what's being said by Jonathan, Paul, and the Mask, but if he rolls mad successes or something then feel free to embellish. ::biggrin ))

With the arrival of the 'MiGs', and their account of what a "good record" meant, Zhenglai couldn't help but feel a little nervous. He tried to tell himself that, after decades of studying the Doedejing and its precepts, he should be past feeling such petty emotions for such petty reasons, but it did no good. He did not like to think about what might heppen to someone like him in a place like this.

Doing his best to calm himself, Zhenglai moved to rejoin his friends and to see how events played out.

"Well, is there anything you feel you need more information about before sending us on to someone else?"

* We definitely need to speak to the Confucians, but first we need to put the idea into the heads of the Christians that the entire world is in dangr, not just their little piece of it, and they're going to have to work with their enemies if they want to keep their own people safe. *

*And that is why he's team leader, ladies and gents...* ::happy

Paul grabs a pen had writes down the name and address, having him spell it if need be. Paul glances at Brother Max to see if he approves of this whole undertaking, but from his previous show biz experiences he expects there won't be any problems.
He's cooperative, and signs the piece of paper with a little note saying, "You are in my prayers, stay safe with your new abilities, Brother Max." Then he hands it off to one of the PAs with instructions.
Paul says,

"You're right about the phone, it has it's uses and it works for any willing nova. So... would you like to give it a try?" Paul extends his hand to Max and watches his eyes to see if he picks up what he means.

Max blinks in confusion, then turns a little pale. "But ... surely not, you're jesting with me!" He reaches out and grabs Paul's hand in a surprisingly full handshake, obviously with the intent of proving Paul wrong.

During the broadcast Zhenglai made no attempt to comment, verbally or mentally, to any of the discussions that went on between his friends, feeling that he had little to offer in terms of either knowledge or wisdom. Instead he took the opportunity to watch and observe the reactions of the audience, of the show's host, and of the four they had managed to bring with them to the studios.

((OOC: I'm hoping that an hour's shooting time is long enough for Zhenglai to make all of the necassary Per+Emp.Manip. rolls, but if not he'll focus primarily on the flaming priest guy, the sticky guy, and Brother Max. Zhenglai is only trying to gauge their overall reactions to what's being said by Jonathan, Paul, and the Mask, but if he rolls mad successes or something then feel free to embellish. ::biggrin ))

From what Zhenglai picks up, somebody's influencing the audience the same way he and Jonathan do, but even so, they seem more surprised and doubtful than scared. The fire priest is doing an astounding job of concealing the fact that he's scared to death of his own powers, Sticky is rather quietly depressed (though he's no longer accidentally attaching to anything). Brother Max seems calm as though he's restraining himself from shouting for joy, he's clearly thrilled at his guests' miraculous fortune.
With the arrival of the 'MiGs', and their account of what a "good record" meant, Zhenglai couldn't help but feel a little nervous. He tried to tell himself that, after decades of studying the Doedejing and its precepts, he should be past feeling such petty emotions for such petty reasons, but it did no good. He did not like to think about what might heppen to someone like him in a place like this.
Agent Blackman looks Zhenglai up and down, then nods to himself. "Guo Zhenglai, the famed philosopher, and outspoken criticizer of the Confuscianist government from his exile in Paris." He looks Zhenglai over again. "Though last I'd heard, you were in a hospital, living out your last weeks on Earth. Is this some type of a prank?" He fixes Jonathan with that stern Agent glare.
"Well, is there anything you feel you need more information about before sending us on to someone else?"
Agent Ryan returns at that point with a PA carrying a half-dozen folding chairs. "I'd like to know what this big threat is you came to warn us about." He glances in the direction of Bradley and Kristin, who are in earnest conversation about something. "Not to mention, if you know how many - and how often - people are going to be changing like this across the country."

Agent Blackman looks Zhenglai up and down, then nods to himself. "Guo Zhenglai, the famed philosopher, and outspoken criticizer of the Confuscianist government from his exile in Paris." He looks Zhenglai over again. "Though last I'd heard, you were in a hospital, living out your last weeks on Earth. Is this some type of a prank?" He fixes Jonathan with that stern Agent glare.

Agent Ryan returns at that point with a PA carrying a half-dozen folding chairs. "I'd like to know what this big threat is you came to warn us about." He glances in the direction of Bradley and Kristin, who are in earnest conversation about something. "Not to mention, if you know how many - and how often - people are going to be changing like this across the country."

"Hundreds, possibly thousands. Worldwide, tens of thousands." Brandt looks up from the candy bar he just finished unwrapping. "Unfortunately, I cannot provide you with a very accurate measure of how quickly each individual will erupt without more data, but I can guess with reasonable certainty that there will be close to a hundred within, oh...a day or two, three at the longest."

He holds Agent Blackman's gaze a moment, continuing. "Oh, and Zhenglai's presence here is no prank, I assure you. It's merely a consequence of probability. Unless the Guo Zhenglai you are referring to has just recently died, (which is a strong possibility), there are, at this moment, two completely separate Zhenglais in this world."

Letting his gaze drop, he takes a bite of his Snickers.

From what Zhenglai picks up, somebody's influencing the audience the same way he and Jonathan do, but even so, they seem more surprised and doubtful than scared. The fire priest is doing an astounding job of concealing the fact that he's scared to death of his own powers, Sticky is rather quietly depressed (though he's no longer accidentally attaching to anything). Brother Max seems calm as though he's restraining himself from shouting for joy, he's clearly thrilled at his guests' miraculous fortune.
((OOC: Two things BN: what about Kristin?, and is the "somebody" supposed to be Brother Max, or does Zhenglai simply not know, even after Paul made the announcement of his eruption? Sorry if I'm being dense or nitpicky, I'm still pretty sick and my head's all fuzzy at the moment, so I'm probably just missing something obvious.))
Zhenglai performed one of his traditional, two-fisted bows as Agent Blackman looked him over at commented about him. He was about to speak himself, but then Blackman addressed the others and Brandt began speaking, so he chose to hold his peace yet a little longer.

Though Zhenglai's outward image of a harmless old man never slipped (or so he hoped), inwardly he felt a small rush of relief that he was not to be grouped in with any "Confuscianist Traitors". He also felt quite the mix of other emotions as well, with the news that he was "famed" and a "philosopher" in this world. But he put these emotions out of his heart and mind and decided to try and simply accept the information for what it was and focus on the here and now. Still, Zhenglai found it strange that they had encountered yet another version of himself in so short a time. He supposed it had something to do with him being so old, but it was still more than a bit unsettling....

I wonder if this version of me will become a nova as well?, he thought.

"Hundreds, possibly thousands. Worldwide, tens of thousands." Brandt looks up from the candy bar he just finished unwrapping. "Unfortunately, I cannot provide you with a very accurate measure of how quickly each individual will erupt without more data, but I can guess with reasonable certainty that there will be close to a hundred within, oh...a day or two, three at the longest."

He holds Agent Blackman's gaze a moment, continuing. "Oh, and Zhenglai's presence here is no prank, I assure you. It's merely a consequence of probability. Unless the Guo Zhenglai you are referring to has just recently died, (which is a strong possibility), there are, at this moment, two completely separate Zhenglais in this world."

Letting his gaze drop, he takes a bite of his Snickers.

'I can assure you, Agent Blackman, said Zhenglai, after Brandt had finished, 'that I am not the Guo Zhenglai you speak of. While it is true that I also have lived in exile from the China of our world, it was in Tibet, not in France. And in my world I doubt that there is anyone still living who remembers when or why I went into exile in the first place.'

'So as you can see', he said with a smile and a tone of finality, as if he'd just explained everything that needed explaining, 'I couldn't possibly be the Guo Zhenglai you're referring to.'

With that Zhenglai began to limp towards the nearest empty chair and muttered, loud enough to be heard but in tone that suggested he was speaking to himself, 'I don't even speak French....'

'So as you can see', he said with a smile and a tone of finality, as if he'd just explained everything that needed explaining, 'I couldn't possibly be the Guo Zhenglai you're referring to.'

With that Zhenglai began to limp towards the nearest empty chair and muttered, loud enough to be heard but in tone that suggested he was speaking to himself, 'I don't even speak French....'

"He came with us. From our world. In some of the worlds we've visited, we've run into people we've known," Theo explained. "Unfortunately we only get a little information about a world before we visit, so we really never know what to expect out of the gate. Some worlds... were really unpleasant."

Max blinks in confusion, then turns a little pale. "But ... surely not, you're jesting with me!" He reaches out and grabs Paul's hand in a surprisingly full handshake, obviously with the intent of proving Paul wrong.
Paul attempts to make the link. If successful he'll send over the link, if un-successful he'll just say it.

*Not all novas have flashy powers or obvious changes... others simply don't use them. Some can even pass for being a baseline. Short of a detailed medical scan, the easiest way to tell is to ask another nova. Several very common powers can ID one. And while they they may not work all the time, when they do work they're never wrong.*

(Only if it works and only over the link) *Welcome, brother. Your powers as far as we can tell are mainly social and mental. I wasn't sure if you wanted to let everyone know that you'd become a nova. Social/mental powers are among the most useful in everyday life, you can shape public opinion, but they are less useful when trying to prevent people from burning you at the stake. Anyway this is how the link works, you can end it just by deciding to end it..*

Archived