Aberrant: Trans-Dimensional Explorations - Trans-Dimensional Explorations

BlueNinja

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ash considers for what seems to be a few months, then looks at Theo.

"Alright...this has to be spectacular, so here is the deal. Theo, look for a high profile nova target...someone causing a lot of trouble. We are going to go stop him, and tell everyone...and every *camera* there that we are the newly awakened Seraphim. Then we are going to call a few people and get a guest spot on that show. Then we are going to get a Utopia-esque group going with our friends here at the heart of it. The public wants *spectacular*...and thats what we are going to give them."

Paul says,

"We have already done that four times today. We know what we're dealing with now, Brandt just super-speeds behind them with the mox. If you want spectacular..."

Paul's eyes shift to the cat then he looks away,

"...just stage something. Esteban shifts into a big monster. He menances someone or many someones. The rest of us attack him and defeat him. That comes pretty close to making this good verses evil rather than a medical matter, and at first glance a lot of new novas are going to look pretty monsterous."

"That sounds... complicated."

The cat twitches it's tail in mock-irritation and yawns as Esteban responds to Paul,

*Oh sure...make me the bad guy... ::wink *

*And do we really want to demonize less human looking Novas? That's going to damn alot of innocent people. Of course *all* of us will be demonized quickly here if we don't act but isn't there a way to show them the truth...that we are an evolution of the species?*

"I could hear the interweb - if they have it. But using it...?" Theo muttered. She started listening on the various radio frequencies for news reports.

At Paul's suggestion, Theo shook her head. "That won't work. If someone found out, it would backlash over everything else they ever do. They might stop believing in the aliens. If there's got to be a fight, it should be an honest fight."

Paul fiddles with his PDA and comments,

"Normal you aren't. None of us are. What we're aiming for is telling people that you aren't intrinsically evil. The world is far better off with you than without you."

The priest opens his mouth, pauses, closes it, and then goes on to speak anyway. "I think we disagree there, in semantics. Being human, we are intrinsically sinful. But we can work to overcome those weaknesses and work for the glory of God and for our duty towards our fellow man. I think you mean that being given these powers, whether they be blessing or curse, they do not make us any more inclined for evil. On that, we do agree."
Paul says,

"Plymouth is... um... here."

Paul shows the map in his PDA.

Chuckling, the priest shoves out a hand and flames leap from his fingertips. The flames surge, and in shades of red, yellow and gold, an eerie, shimmering stage takes form in the middle of the floor. It holds for a minute or so, a tiny person visible walking the stage, though the image is soundless. "Holy shepard," Kristin whispers as the flames finally flicker and die.
"I agree on the warp, I can get us there I'm quite certain."

He addresses everyone with a calmer voice.

"This venue is a good place to make our pressence known. Show the world that we are not monsters...that we can help them with the coming changes and that these new eruptions are a blessing...not a curse...Though I could be wrong."

Kristin tightens her hands in the furball on her lap. "Do we have to tell them who we are? If we have to tell them, then everyone will know, and once they know, they'll treat us different, and I don't want to be different." Her voice trails off into a whisper by the end of it.
Paul says,

"We have already done that four times today. We know what we're dealing with now, Brandt just super-speeds behind them with the mox. If you want spectacular..."

Paul's eyes shift to the cat then he looks away,

"...just stage something. Esteban shifts into a big monster. He menances someone or many someones. The rest of us attack him and defeat him. That comes pretty close to making this good verses evil rather than a medical matter, and at first glance a lot of new novas are going to look pretty monsterous."

"That sounds... complicated."

Sticky looks at Paul and frowns. "If you want to convince Brother Max - or, hellsfire, anyone - of our use and basic goodness, might I suggest that staging a conflict is not the best way to go about it?" He scowls at the priest, who does look ready to go all fire and brimstone again. "There is nothing to be gained from presenting ourselves to the public through subterfuge and lying."
At Paul's suggestion, Theo shook her head. "That won't work. If someone found out, it would backlash over everything else they ever do. They might stop believing in the aliens. If there's got to be a fight, it should be an honest fight."
Sticky nods to Theo emphatically. Bradley's wife just shakes her head, mumbling something about not believing this could all be real.

Chuckling, the priest shoves out a hand and flames leap from his fingertips. The flames surge, and in shades of red, yellow and gold, an eerie, shimmering stage takes form in the middle of the floor. It holds for a minute or so, a tiny person visible walking the stage, though the image is soundless. "Holy shepard," Kristin whispers as the flames finally flicker and die.
Paul raises an eyebrow. He's getting better pretty quickly.
Kristin tightens her hands in the furball on her lap. "Do we have to tell them who we are? If we have to tell them, then everyone will know, and once they know, they'll treat us different, and I don't want to be different." Her voice trails off into a whisper by the end of it.
Paul says gentley,

"Have too? Technically, no... but they'll probably figure it out. And everyone is different. The question is different good or different bad. Haven't you ever wanted to be the one everyone asks out on a date? The one everyone wants to talk to? To be rich and famous? You're going to be one of the first four novas. That's like being the first man to walk on the moon. A lot of people would kill for a chance like this. Our first public nova turned his fame into a successful Presidency run."

Taking in everyone's responses to his "monster" idea, Paul says,

"Real combat, especially involving untrained new novas, tends to produce really dead bodies. And the five of you are too honest to fake it for every long. I think most of us are too, but we have the option of leaving."

Paul gives a shrug to Ash.

Simon pauses for a moment thinking on this situation.

"If we must do battle with someone or something, to better place Novas as protectors rather than monsters...and IF this battle must be staged...perhaps another idea."

Simon concentrates for a brief second to allow his costume to adjust...the Obsidian Mask and armor return.

With his unearthly voice re-amplified with the mask he continues.

"Simple cosmetic adjustments can be made to fit the villain with more classic archetypes. Perhaps robots, or aliens...or even simple terrorists. If Novas "arrived" in time to halt a bank robery which anyone of us could easily and safely facilitate...the same effect may be had. We need not cause much havoc for the message to be achieved. Simple crime prevention, or rescuing someone from peril could be used as well. Some of the earliest Novas on our world used similar events to propel their fame."

Simon allows the mask and armor to shift back to his previous outfit, casual pants a shirt and sport coat.

"How does that sound?"

He turns towards Kristin who had doubts of revealing her identity.

"As you see my dear...cosmetic changes to conceal your identity are easily achieved. I could create something for you to use at least through this particualr endeavor. If all else fails, a stocking or piece of cloth could be used in a pinch."

His last remark he touches up with a smirk, hopefully to calm her down.

Brandt sighed. This was quickly getting out of hand. Fake monsters? Impromptu bank robberies? He squeezed the bridge of his nose with his fingertips in a momentary gesture of frustration. Letting his hand fall to his side, he addressed all of them in a diffident tone. "Perhaps we could all go there and simply talk to him? Just as we are talking right now. Calmly, with simple honesty and compassion. We've already shown it can be done; we have people from completely different walks of life right here, and no one has run screaming in a panic yet." He smiled.

"As for our arrival causing a problem, we do have the option of warping to a more private location in the same building, instead of just popping onto the stage. Dramatic entrances aren't something we have to do."

"But you are different, and you're going to have to learn to accept that. Besides, different isn't a bad thing. How you treat other people determines who you are, not how well you conform to other people's opinions."

Sticky looks at Paul and frowns. "If you want to convince Brother Max - or, hellsfire, anyone - of our use and basic goodness, might I suggest that staging a conflict is not the best way to go about it?" He scowls at the priest, who does look ready to go all fire and brimstone again. "There is nothing to be gained from presenting ourselves to the public through subterfuge and lying."

"I really have to agree, we don't have to run around saving people from made up threats to make our point. We want people to listen to and respect us, not just follow us blindly because we saved some children from a made up monster. I'm going to rule out any staged events that could potentially hurt anyone. Let's just find somwhere quiet near the set to warp in, and then approach them calmly and rationally and explain our case." He gestures at Sticky and the priest. "I don't think it will be very difficult to convince them that something.... miraculous has happened."

Brandt sighed. This was quickly getting out of hand. Fake monsters? Impromptu bank robberies? He squeezed the bridge of his nose with his fingertips in a momentary gesture of frustration. Letting his hand fall to his side, he addressed all of them in a diffident tone. "Perhaps we could all go there and simply talk to him? Just as we are talking right now. Calmly, with simple honesty and compassion. We've already shown it can be done; we have people from completely different walks of life right here, and no one has run screaming in a panic yet." He smiled.

"As for our arrival causing a problem, we do have the option of warping to a more private location in the same building, instead of just popping onto the stage. Dramatic entrances aren't something we have to do."

Theo smiled at Brandt.

"There could still be some panic," she said, nodding, "But a smaller group, should be easier to control."

Paul says gentley,

"Have too? Technically, no... but they'll probably figure it out. And everyone is different. The question is different good or different bad. Haven't you ever wanted to be the one everyone asks out on a date? The one everyone wants to talk to? To be rich and famous? You're going to be one of the first four novas. That's like being the first man to walk on the moon. A lot of people would kill for a chance like this. Our first public nova turned his fame into a successful Presidency run."

"But you are different, and you're going to have to learn to accept that. Besides, different isn't a bad thing. How you treat other people determines who you are, not how well you conform to other people's opinions."
"Yeah, but ... but ... once they find out I'm different, even if I am different for a good reason, then I know they're all going to be talking about me behind my back, and gossipping, and saying things like 'Well no wonder, she was always weird,' and I'm going to have to listen to it every day!" She seems on the verge of tears.

"Yeah, but ... but ... once they find out I'm different, even if I am different for a good reason, then I know they're all going to be talking about me behind my back, and gossipping, and saying things like 'Well no wonder, she was always weird,' and I'm going to have to listen to it every day!" She seems on the verge of tears.

"They're going to talk," Theo says somberly, looking at her feet. She could feel her cheeks burning. "That's not going to change."

"If you become famous, you'll be followed by cameras and newspapers printing the worse gossip you'd never believe. If you're 'lucky', the people who've been talking behind your back will want to become your friend."

"If they're such terrible people that they'd gossip about you just because you're a bit different, then what does it matter what they think? Trust me, I've been the subject of more than my fair share of gossip, and the people who make fun of you behind your back only talk about you because they've never done anything worth talking about. You have better things to worry about than what they think." Jonathan's tone is a bit harsher than usual, not quite like he's scolding her but definitely implying that she needs to learn something.

Wacko Eruption World

Approx 1500 pacific local time -

With everyone somewhat prepared for the upcoming drama of live tv, Simon opens a warp for the dozen people. It opens onto a currently empty stage, the lights low. Conversation can be heard off in the wings, along with the sounds of equipment tests. "Ok, light test on the - what in the burning hells?"

Then a spotlight comes on. It takes a moment to realize that it's not a spotlight - it's yet another erupting nova, up on the catwalks above the empty audience seats.

Once the group has stepped out onto the stage and the spotlight nova erupts, Jonathan face-palms, then looks up at the group. "Well, we knew something like this might happen." He then tries to get as clear a look at the new nova as he can.
That's kind of hard - the new guy is shining with the brightness of a spotlight, which makes it impossible to see more than the outline of a human shape. Other people are shouting, and two security guards come in from the backstage area, squinting into the light and fingering their guns.

Paul holds up his hands palms out and says loudly,

"Everyone calm down! We come in peace, and will give a world class interview!

"We're going to need strong sunglasses to see this one," Theo mutters to herself.

Stepping out of the group, she heads up the stairs to intercept the guards. "He needs help," she tells them. "Can one of you find a blanket?"

One of the guards lets out a snort of startled laughter at Paul, though he doesn't do more than glance in his direction. The other turns to look more closely at Paul and Theo as they talk, and starts staring more nervously at Bradley and the priest. "Wh-what good will a blanket do to someone who's glowing?"

One of the guards lets out a snort of startled laughter at Paul, though he doesn't do more than glance in his direction. The other turns to look more closely at Paul and Theo as they talk, and starts staring more nervously at Bradley and the priest. "Wh-what good will a blanket do to someone who's glowing?"

"It'll block some of the light and it won't scare them like someone waving a gun would," Theo said. "I don't want whoever that is to panic and get hurt. You shouldn't either."

Paul digs around in his Doctor's bag and pulls out the recently used Mox injector. Then he says,

"I think this will be somewhat more effective than a blanket."

Paul shields his eyes with one hand and holds out the injector with the other.

"Can anyone see him clearly enough to admisiter the Mox?"

Paul digs around in his Doctor's bag and pulls out the recently used Mox injector. Then he says,

"I think this will be somewhat more effective than a blanket."

Paul shields his eyes with one hand and holds out the injector with the other.

"Can anyone see him clearly enough to admisiter the Mox?"

Theo sighs, glancing back at Paul.

"Maybe we can get the new guy to do it," she says. "Once you've explained to them what it does."

"That guy's frightened," she tells the guards, nodding towards the brilliantly glowing nova. "But he's no threat to anyone." Yet.

"We'll try to calm him down. If you could, please one of you get a blanket - and welder's goggles if you know where there's a pair?"

Turning his face from the bright lights, and instinctively adjusting his suit to take the form of sun glasses, Simon attempts to whip up a solution. Focused on bringing the Quantum energy into solid shapes.

(( MC roll to summon both a THICK blanket and a few pairs of welding goggles that could handle the intensity of this light...if possible ))

"Allow me a moment here...I might be able to help with that...."

Simon babbles the words as he is deeply focussed on his creations.

As Simon pulls the blanket and googles out of thin air, Jonathan steps away from the group in the direction of the security guards and raises his hands defensively. In a soothing voice, he says, "Please, stay calm. We're good people with a message that needs to go out to the entire country, for the sake of the world's safety."

Simon raises his hands, and a trio of welding masks appear hanging off his left hand by their straps, and a military-issue wool blanket from his right. That should be sufficient; the stagehand is only about as bright as your average stage spotlight.

The security guards ease down, enough that they stop touching their weapons. From the same entrance they emerged from, Brother Max himself steps in. He looks over Bradley, Sticky, and the Fire-Priest, then up at the glowing stagehand. "The world's safety?" he asks, his voice trembling slightly. "Are you angels? Or demons?"

Simon raises his hands, and a trio of welding masks appear hanging off his left hand by their straps, and a military-issue wool blanket from his right. That should be sufficient; the stagehand is only about as bright as your average stage spotlight.

The security guards ease down, enough that they stop touching their weapons. From the same entrance they emerged from, Brother Max himself steps in. He looks over Bradley, Sticky, and the Fire-Priest, then up at the glowing stagehand. "The world's safety?" he asks, his voice trembling slightly. "Are you angels? Or demons?"

"Thank you Simon," Theo smiles, taking the blanket and a pair of goggles from him. She frowns at Brother Max when he appears.

"I suppose we should just say we're angels," Theo replied, remembering Greek world as she slips on the googles and heads towards the glowing stage hand "But really we're just people, like you. Ones who've received a very special gift. A blessing."

"Hello?" she says to the stagehand, approaching him slowly with the blanket. "I know you're a little scared right now, but nobody here will hurt you. Are you ok?"

"We're neither angels nor demons. We've been given powerful gifts, but like anyone we still have to work to be sure to use our powers for the good of others. That's why we're here, though, to explain what's happened to these people since it will be happening to more and more people in the coming years."

• 2 weeks later...

Simon motions to any who are interested to gather a set of goggles.

"I am of the mind that we should get him down...and...under control before the locals here with the pistols decide to shoot first and not ask any questions..."

Paul says,

"Bless you," and he puts a set of goggles on his head.

Jonathan turns his attention back to the glowing man, and turns to Paul. "I don't see a quick way up there, maybe you should fly up there to give him the mox?"

Paul says,

"I guess." and reflects *I'm doing something wrong when my powers put me on the front line. Food for thought later.*

Paul attunes what he's wearing minus the doctor's bag, readies the injector, pulls the goggles down over his eyes, and then attempts to shift into his other form, hopefully fading from sight but leaving the bag floating there. Paul then moves (floats) the bag to a chair and attempts to fly up and behind the new nova and inject him.

If successful with all that he'll hover off to one side and wait to see what the results are.

Brother Max looks back and forth between Theo and Jonathan, a nervous smile coming to his face. “That sounds like an … unusual amount of honesty. Why are you here? And these strange happenings inside my studio?”

Theo paused.

"A war is coming," she stated, glancing back at Brother Max. "We've come searching for a safe haven or a weapon to fight that which cannot be stopped."

Jonathan watches Paul fly up, then listens to Theo's explanation. "We're being honest because, well, it really is that simple. Earth is in danger. Our earth, and your earth. And, well, er.... it's a long story. The short version is that an alien fleet is coming towards Earth intent on killing everyone and draining the planet of its resources. We're here to find a way to stop them, both for the sake of our world and any other Earths we visit."

Seeing the probably surprised looks on people's faces, Jonathan suddenly realizes something and starts speaking again before they get a chance to. "But I guess that didn't explain our powers, did it. On our little version of Earth, these powers are more common, people have been discovering amazing abilities like healing with a touch, flying, moving things with their minds, all sorts of incredible things. Apparently our arrival here has caused a few people from your world to develop gifts of their own. While some of their abilities may seem scary at first, and some of them will be changed in ways that make them almost unrecognizable, these powers can be a good thing and will be necessary to protect your world in the coming war. I'm sure that just gave you a million more questions than it answered, so hopefully we can answer them for you and everyone else on your show."

"...these powers can be a good thing and will be necessary to protect your world in the coming war. I'm sure that just gave you a million more questions than it answered, so hopefully we can answer them for you and everyone else on your show."

Theo winced slightly. Golly, they didn't sound like crackpots at all. But then people don't burst into brilliant light either. Paul had vanished, probably going after the glowing nova with the mox. Of Esteban there was no sign - but a cat could hide very easily in a studio.

"So," she called out, hoping to distract the newest member of the world's novas, "What's your name?"

((Sorry for the lag!))

When the time had come to open Simon's warp, Esteban had, like any good cat, jumped from Kristen's lap at the exact moment she thought about actually moving to stand. He could feel the small micro muscle pulses of her nervous system priming muscles to follow thought...

Wacko Eruption World

Approx 1500 pacific local time -

With everyone somewhat prepared for the upcoming drama of live tv, Simon opens a warp for the dozen people. It opens onto a currently empty stage, the lights low. Conversation can be heard off in the wings, along with the sounds of equipment tests. "Ok, light test on the - what in the burning hells?"

Then a spotlight comes on. It takes a moment to realize that it's not a spotlight - it's yet another erupting nova, up on the catwalks above the empty audience seats.

*Ahh!*

His heightened senses momentarily stunned by the intense light, Esteban-the-cat flees for the shadows, ducking into the rows of seats.

*Perhaps if I...Yes!* He shifted his visual receptivity lower, into the infrared range...the Nova was bright but didn't appear to generate alot of heat. Able to see clearly Esteban looked for a route to the...*ahem* catwalk...

While the team prepares to deliver the Mox, Esteban decided to advance his tactical position with a little dissapearing act. His furry coat shimmers and fading from view as his Eufiber optically blended into space. He then proceeded to climb the nearest wall towards the glowing Nova.

((So..Weave roll please, then added to a Stealth roll por favor!))

The glowing man brightens as the invisible doctor's bag gets closer,

then dims suddenly. He seems like little more than a glowing outline,

though dim enough that Paul thinks he could probably look at him without

the welder's goggles. "A flying bag, and I'm glowing ... I'm either

dying or going insane."

((Were you going to say anything when you got up there? Or just stay

invisible and inject him?))

Brother Max looks back and forth between Theo and Jonathan, a bit of a

dazed look on his face. "You're from a ... different Earth, to

warn us about a coming threat?" He smiles a little weakly. "You're

either Heaven sent, or the Devil is far more clever than I could

possibly imagine." Looking back over at Bradley and the other locals,

he gestures towards them with one hand. "These are people you have

chosen to help protect our world?"

The now virtually undetectable cat simply walks up the side wall of the

audience portion to hop onto the catwalk, reaching the top as the man

dims.

Brother Max looks back and forth between Theo and Jonathan, a bit of a

dazed look on his face. "You're from a ... different Earth, to

warn us about a coming threat?" He smiles a little weakly. "You're

either Heaven sent, or the Devil is far more clever than I could

possibly imagine." Looking back over at Bradley and the other locals,

he gestures towards them with one hand. "These are people you have

chosen to help protect our world?"

"We didn't give them these gifts," Theo stated carefully. "We just guide those who've received them."

((Were you going to say anything when you got up there? Or just stay invisible and inject him?))
Paul says soothingle,

"Hold still for a moment. This will help you control your power. We're inside a building and, as strong as you are it'd be easy to take it down."

(Regardless of what he says or does Paul tries to inject him).

The glowing stagehand splutters something, and jerks a little bit when Paul injects him, but a moment later the glow fades out, revealing a fairly normal looking guy standing there wearing a backwards baseball cap. He looks at his arm where Paul injected the Mox, then takes a step backwards - right off the catwalk, where he hovers, apparently unaware that he is standing on air! The others, especially Brother Max, gasp in astonishment. "Who are you?" he asks, and then waves a hand in Paul's direction.

Still astonished, Brother Max turns to the rest of the group, glances around the stage, and waves everyone towards the chairs and couches set up for the evenings presentation. "I'm not sure who you are, but it's clear to me that I'll have to suddenly - and unexpectedly - change tonight's show. Please, sit, and I'll see if I can get some PAs to bring us some coffee and donuts."

Kristin hangs in the back, and then reaches over to take one of the welding goggles from Simon. "How do you do that mask trick?" she asks him quietly.

Archived