Aberrant: Trans-Dimensional Explorations - Trans-Dimensional Explorations

BlueNinja

Ash looks around at the alarms. "Alright...lets hope that none of you have *bad* luck powers." he says, annoyed. "As long as we dont get flooded we should be fine. Your husband..." he says, looking to Nina, "Has gained incredible powers...powers he can use to do good for the world. Its a gift to be treasured...and something that we can help him with." he looks back to her husband, "If you let us..."

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As soon as she waks up, Esteban pads over to say hello...
The cat pads over to the invisible girl, and taps her huddled form across the nose with a paw. ((He is a big housecat. ::happy )) In a shock, her form flickers in and out - sinking partway into the floor, and then being violently ejected from it. "What is happening to me?" she cries out, her voice echoing in the room.
Theo steps over to Nina.

"It's okay," she tells her. "That is your husband, Bradley. I know he looks different on the outside, but it's really him in there."

They look at each other, still skittish, and doubly nervous with the fire alarms going off. "Bradley?" she asks in a shakey voice, and he just nods, two arms reaching awkwardly for her, and the other two engaging in hand-wringing behind him. His wings, curiously enough, have dimmed down until they seem to be made out of burning coals, rather than flames.
Ash looks around at the alarms. "Alright...lets hope that none of you have *bad* luck powers." he says, annoyed. "As long as we dont get flooded we should be fine. Your husband..." he says, looking to Nina, "Has gained incredible powers...powers he can use to do good for the world. Its a gift to be treasured...and something that we can help him with." he looks back to her husband, "If you let us..."
They glance curiously at Ash, almost in unison, and then Nina points at the ceiling. "What is that?" Following her accusing finger, a part of the ceiling is starting to blacken and crumble, one of the ceiling tiles already falling in.

Tapping gently on his link to Paul, Esteban sends (if/when Paul checks in...)

*Time to leave...this location is insecure. I can scout up above to street level or should we try a random Warp again?*

Gently purring, Esteban attempts once more to soothe her...

Glancing around in irritation as the alarms go off, Brandt doesn't say anything. Watching as the married couple starts to embrace, his eyes suddenly go wide as they follow Nina's pointing finger. Smacking himself in the forehead in a "duh!" gesture, he darts between the pair. "Wait!" he says, holding up his hands to stop Bradley from touching her.

He looks around at the rest of them. Seeing some confusion, he points at Bradley, then at the ceiling before rolling his eyes at the obviousness of it. "Fire alarms."

He locks gazes directly with the newly erupted nova in front of him. "Bradley, listen carefully. We will be able to help you control it, but for right now, you should probably avoid touching anyone until then. Better safe than sorry."

Standing, he looks around at his teammates. "Paul? Why don't you come with me on a quick scouting trip and make sure we're unseen. We can try to find somewhere a bit more remote."

"What is happening to me?" she cries out, her voice echoing in the room.

Ash scratches the back of his head as he looks around, not seeing her. "Ok, you two talk for a few minutes. About what you might want to do now. I am going to see about helping the other girl that erupted." he says, then stands up and looks around.

He finds the cat nudging...something invisable, and walks over then kneels. "Hey...I dont know if you heard...but my name is Ash...take a deep breath and try to calm down. The calmer you are the more you will be able to control your powers."

Standing, he looks around at his teammates. "Paul? Why don't you come with me on a quick scouting trip and make sure we're unseen. We can try to find somewhere a bit more remote."
Paul opens a link between Brandt and Johnathan,

*Not a bad idea, but at the same time we have a baseline hugging an untrained firey nova. Keeping a healer around might be a good thing.*

*Your call Johnathan.*

*And speaking of which, has anyone done a node ping of her?*

(Paul does a node ping to try to see if Nina is a nova).

"Paul? Why don't you come with me on a quick scouting trip and make sure we're unseen. We can try to find somewhere a bit more remote."

Ever the intrepid explorer, Esteban sends,

*I'll go.*

It carries the tone of a question, most likely for Jonathan...

"Alright, Esteban go with Brandt, find us someplace better, at least until we can get their powers under control."

Jonathan catches sight of the invisible girl as she briefly reappears, and seeing that the couple seem to be adapting well, he heads over to where she was and reaches out his hand. "Hi, I'm Jonathan. You're going through an eruption, your mind is finding abilities it never knew it had and doesn't know how to control. The best thing you can do right now is sit quietly, focus on your thoughts, and get your mind under control."

"Alright, Esteban go with Brandt, find us someplace better, at least until we can get their powers under control."

Jonathan catches sight of the invisible girl as she briefly reappears, and seeing that the couple seem to be adapting well, he heads over to where she was and reaches out his hand. "Hi, I'm Jonathan. You're going through an eruption, your mind is finding abilities it never knew it had and doesn't know how to control. The best thing you can do right now is sit quietly, focus on your thoughts, and get your mind under control."

Brandt nods. "On our way." He heads for the door, glancing at Esteban. "Can you conceal me at all? I can move fast enough to be unseen, but there's still a chance someone will notice my backtrail. Or would you prefer to just be my eyes above?"

Brandt nods. "On our way." He heads for the door, glancing at Esteban. "Can you conceal me at all? I can move fast enough to be unseen, but there's still a chance someone will notice my backtrail. Or would you prefer to just be my eyes above?"

((I suppose the two n00bs are too preoccupied to notice Brandt is talking to a cat... ::tongue ))

Esteban's tail twitches too and fro

*If you are referrng to the attunement discipline, I have not yet learned it, so no. I may be able to extend my Eufiber over yours however, and use it to optically camoflague us. Otherwise, I'll just have to phase through on my own. Of course, we can always just go for a stroll...* ::happy

Esteban brushed softly against the speedster's leg.

((I suppose the two n00bs are too preoccupied to notice Brandt is talking to a cat... ::tongue ))

Esteban's tail twitches too and fro

*If you are referrng to the attunement discipline, I have not yet learned it, so no. I may be able to extend my Eufiber over yours however, and use it to optically camoflague us. Otherwise, I'll just have to phase through on my own. Of course, we can always just go for a stroll...* ::happy

Esteban brushed softly against the speedster's leg.

Brandt chuckles, and leans down to pick up the kitty and carry it in his arms. "A stroll it is, at least until we know something more definite. My concern is the fire department's likely arrival fairly soon. When we reach street level, let's try to find somewhere a bit less populated."

Paul settles down to watch the goings on and does another node ping.

Ironically, Zhenglai was in the process of doing more or less the same thing at exactly the same time. However, he also decided to check up on the emotional state of things as well as the quantum.

((Just letting everyone know I'm still here. Node ping like Paul, but with a Diplomacy and Rapport check added in as well.))

Ash scratches the back of his head as he looks around, not seeing her. "Ok, you two talk for a few minutes. About what you might want to do now. I am going to see about helping the other girl that erupted." he says, then stands up and looks around.

He finds the cat nudging...something invisable, and walks over then kneels. "Hey...I dont know if you heard...but my name is Ash...take a deep breath and try to calm down. The calmer you are the more you will be able to control your powers."

With a little help from Zhenglai, invisible girl seems to calm down ... at least, the flickering stops, so it's less like looking at someone who's only in a film one frame out of 20. "Powers? Who ... what ... what's happening to me? What is that thing over there?" From her voice, she's probably pointing at Bradley, but with her flickering stopped, she's fully invisible.
There's a moment of silence from invisible girl. "I'm turning into a volcano?" Her question transforms from surprise into a shriek by the last syllable.
Actually, they're both looking around. Bradley, at least, spotted invisible girl while she was flickering, and her shriek is impossible to ignore. He seems to be perfectly aware of the fact that Brandt is talking to a cat, but for the moment, he hasn't seemed to attach any importance to it.
(Paul does a node ping to try to see if Nina is a nova).
((Just letting everyone know I'm still here. Node ping like Paul, but with a Diplomacy and Rapport check added in as well.))
With how close they're standing, it's hard to be sure, but it doesn't seem like Nina's a nova. But there's one upstairs. Actually, he seems to be moving down ... and this becomes apparent when the blackening spot in the ceiling suddenly tumbles down into the room, revealing a writhing humanoid shape made entirely of white flames. But the figure is completely silent, even with no crackling of flames, which now seem to be eating into the cheap tile covering the floor. Invisible girl screams and starts flickering again, and Bradley grabs Nina, pushing her behind her as he moves to protect her. (And no, his wings don't seem to be harming her, though they have burst back into active orange fire.)

With how close they're standing, it's hard to be sure, but it doesn't seem like Nina's a nova. But there's one upstairs. Actually, he seems to be moving down...
Paul says "Everyone, there's a..."
...and this becomes apparent when the blackening spot in the ceiling suddenly tumbles down into the room, revealing a writhing humanoid shape made entirely of white flames. But the figure is completely silent, even with no crackling of flames, which now seem to be eating into the cheap tile covering the floor. Invisible girl screams and starts flickering again, and Bradley grabs Nina, pushing her behind her as he moves to protect her. (And no, his wings don't seem to be harming her, though they have burst back into active orange fire.)
Paul continues "...oh never mind."

Paul thinks,

*That didn't seem to be controlled? Another new eruption? ...Oh please God No!*

(To both Esteban and Brandt) *STOP!!! Don't go out there!*

(Rotated to everyone)

*There's a condition in nature called super-saturation. Something is dissolved in a liquid or a gas, then more is dissolved then more, and more, and more, and now you have FAR more dissolved than the substance would like to store. It’s one of the things that can make Weather ‘freaky’, the air actually holds more water than it should, but because there’s no water in the clouds for it to form on it just keeps absorbing it. It’s why cloud seeding words. You dump a catalyst, or even just a little water, in there and now you have a very rapidly running reaction. All the water that is super-saturated in the air gets dumped at once.*

*I think that’s what we’re seeing here. We need to check and see if this world has novas. If they don’t already, then we need to leave right now, because everyone we run into that can erupt is going to. Then everyone that they run into, etc.*

*I think that’s what we’re seeing here. We need to check and see if this world has novas. If they don’t already, then we need to leave right now, because everyone we run into that can erupt is going to. Then everyone that they run into, etc.*

*I knew we should have gone to the desert.*

"Hey, who are you?" Theo asks the new arrival warily.

Jonathan looks calmly at where the invisible girl should be. "No, you're not turning into a volcano, although it probably feels that way. Don't worry, we'll help you through this." Just then, part of the cailing collapses and another nova drops in. "Just as soon as we get the situation under control."

Jonathan considers his options for a moment, then attempts to telekinetically lift the burning man off the ground and hold him in the air where the flames won't be physically touching anything. "Esteban, any chance you could turn into water just long enough to put out the fire on the floor and ceiling?"

* I thought we were going to the caves in the state park from last world? Or have they built a town there in this world? No respect for nature.... Paul, I'm a bit busy with our fiery friend, can you check with the local animals to find somewhere deserted? *

"Esteban, any chance you could turn into water just long enough to put out the fire on the floor and ceiling?"

*Ha! I wish I was that skilled at altering my molecular structure...why dont we just evacuate to a secure location?*

((Node ping and Q-Attune to see if this newly arrived Nova is in fact in the process of erupting...))

* Well, crap, I suppose I'm the best at dorming here. If someone can do something about our burning friend, I'll do what I can. *

Simon focusses his energies on bringing items into reality that may assist with the fire prevention.

(( MC roll please. Going for a few fire extinquishers, and or a pressurized tank of water and hose. ))

Simon reaches forth and begins to pull on the fabric of space. The others notice objects beginning to take shape...though they can't discern what he's creating.

"Give me...a...minute here." He stammers, the summoning effects apparently taking their toll on the Quantum Summoner.

Paul says to the new novas,

"This is going to sound odd, but it's important and I think we’re running out of time. To the best of your knowledge, other than ourselves are there other people or creatures of power on this planet? Angels? Demons? Miracle workers? Holy men through whom the gods work?"

*So any use of our nova powers could cause an eruption?* Theo asked. Her eyes narrowed in the twilight of the emergency lighting. *We've got to be careful then. Anyone see any extinguishers when we came in?*
Paul sends,

*I think it's worse than that. None of us used our powers right through the gate but wings here still erupted. I think there's so much quantum that just our presence is a tipping point.*

*Who here can ping? We need to check every now and then if we haven't created any novas other than these three.*

*Who here can ping? We need to check every now and then if we haven't created any novas other than these three.*

Meowing an affirmative, Esteban sends another ping.

((OOC, still waiting for BNs response to Esteban's q-attune of the new nova...is he in fact an eruptee? For the moment, Esteban is curled up with Brandt aiting to see if they will still be going recon...))

Paul sends,

*I think it's worse than that. None of us used our powers right through the gate but wings here still erupted. I think there's so much quantum that just our presence is a tipping point.*

*Don't forget the portal and the warp gates,* Theo added, eyeing the stranger in their midst. *They could be triggers too.*

*I'm not sure. It's never been clear to me whether the portal is a quantum effect.*

*Um...right...about that... Remember my first mission with the team? I kept my quantum senses open both before and during transit, and I will *never* do that again...Not only is it's quantum effect off the scale but it warps reality so much that it might as well be creating a quantum black hole...*

((Node ping and Q-Attune to see if this newly arrived Nova is in fact in the process of erupting...))
Oh, yeah. His entire body is nothing but an endless, quantum-fueled, chemical fire. You're pretty sure touching him is going to be bad ... like hospital stay bad. (Aggro Immolate, Bodymorph Fire)
(( MC roll please. Going for a few fire extinquishers, and or a pressurized tank of water and hose. ))
Simon spreads his hands dramatically, and a pallet with at least a dozen CO2 extinguishers appears on the floor. Water from the automatic fire sprinklers on the floor above is starting to run down through the hole.
Paul says to the new novas,

"This is going to sound odd, but it's important and I think we’re running out of time. To the best of your knowledge, other than ourselves are there other people or creatures of power on this planet? Angels? Demons? Miracle workers? Holy men through whom the gods work?"

Invisible girl doesn't seem to hear you, as she's busy trying to scrabble away, like an extra in a horror flick. Bradley turns to look at Paul, then back as the burning man is lifted into the air by Jonathan's TK. "Not ... not like ... this," but you can't tell which of them he might be referring to."
Meowing an affirmative, Esteban sends another ping.
There's another erupting nova outside and on ground level - about three meters up and about twenty meters -> that way.

* I'm not sure isolating ourselves will completely stop this. We've already caused multiple eruptions, and unless we can teach all of them to dorm or take them with us, they're only going to continue to cause more eruptions. Besides, if this world is going to face a fleet of its own in a few decades, they'll need novas of their own, and if any world we've been to could use a change, it's this one. The best thing we can do here is teach them to control their powers as well as possible and try to ease them into their new lives as best we can. *

Paul sends,

*If every nova erupts as tainted as wings here we'll see a repeat of overclocked and an aberrant war long before the fleet gets here.*

*Anyone else with quantum senses, how much taint do they have? Esteban, you're tough and have enhanced senses, maybe you'd better go looking for that other nova.*

Paul sends,

*If every nova erupts as tainted as wings here we'll see a repeat of overclocked and an aberrant war long before the fleet gets here.*

*Anyone else with quantum senses, how much taint do they have? Esteban, you're tough and have enhanced senses, maybe you'd better go looking for that other nova.*

Brandt, having dropped Esteban with a startled oath when the flaming man fell through the ceiling, can only stare in horrified fascination as everyone starts offering their own theories as to why this is happening.

When told that there is yet another Nova erupting at ground level, the speedster shakes his head violently to clear it.

"I'm going up to find out what the hell is going on, and how bad it is. Be right back.", he says, before disappearing out the door and up the stairs. Arriving almost instantaneously at ground level, he looks for a window to peer out from. Opening his senses to the quantum-spectrum, he tries to absorb what's happening around him and outside.

Archived