Aberrant: Trans-Dimensional Explorations - Trans-Dimensional Explorations

BlueNinja

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having spent several minutes in his room resting and concentrating, Pat now floated about a meter above the bed. The air around him rippled slightly, a sign of the space around him being bent to hold him where he was in defiance of gravity. Finally free from the ground, and the vibrations it transmitted through his feet, Pat spent amother couple minutes in concentration, ridding his mind of any vestiges of the starsong. It was tenacious, and he had been surprised when it had hit him on the plane, his own mind dredging it up as a counter to the virbration and noise he had encountered there. It badly affected his ability to concentrate on details, and so he was glad when his mind was finally quiet again. Sighing, the ugly little man floated quickly out of his room and down the hall, towards the sounds of conversation and the scents of food.

“Now that is interesting.  I can talk to animals as well.  Is that a coincidence or an indication of what’s needed?  I wonder if we have anything else in common, I can’t move things mentally, but you mentioned psychic abilities, does that include the ability to make psychic links?.“

"Not so far, but my powers are still developing. I can ground myself so that my mind is protected, and even protect someone else psychically as well. I can also ask Odin for knowledge, and I've tapped into information I never knew existed in the process."

Ash nods to the group. "Name is Ash Phoenix."

"Hey Ash." Brandt nods in return.

"Not so far, but my powers are still developing. I can ground myself so that my mind is protected, and even protect someone else psychically as well. I can also ask Odin for knowledge, and I've tapped into information I never knew existed in the process."

Brandt nods thoughtfully during the conversation, raising an eyebrow briefly at the mention of the ancient Norse god.

"Huh. Well, I'm pretty sure Wesson's not the kind of guy who believes in coincidence, so there's probably a good reason to have two animal-talking pyschics on board. Still not sure what I'm here for, though. Transport maybe."

He looks over at Ash. "What's your gig, Ash? You psychic too? Or an engineer like Eli?"

Paul says,

“Interesting. Very interesting actually. I’m a little envious, I can’t commune with nature. I can sense it and all, but it, at least as a whole, doesn’t seem aware in any way that I can see.”

Paul gives a short, self-conscious laugh,

“If ‘see’ is the right word. And yes, I know there are lots of people who disagree with me. I can shape wind, maybe even solar wind, but that’s all it is to me. Wind.”

“But speaking of psychic powers, one of the reasons I get invited to these group things is to serve as switchboard. I can learn a specific animal’s mind and then be able to talk to it in the future. This includes people. Its just talk, and either person can turn it off, but the range is just insane, it works over thousands of kilometers. If anyone is willing this would be a good time to set one up. You can ask Ash here what it is like.” (Paul points to Ash) “It isn’t telepathy, it's more like a phone call. No probing, no controlling, there’s no juice cost after it’s set up.”

"I'm just your classic man of mystery. Nothing as special as our animal-talkers here."

Eli gives Ash a questioning look.

"You're a 'man of mystery'? What are your nova characteristics?"

Seeing the conversation start to turn to animal speak and communing with Odin and all that, Eli sort of edges over to the stove side of the kitchen, poking the chicken strips around and warming the tortillas one by one on the skillet as he talks to whoever.

"If anyone is willing this would be a good time to set one up."

Barely looking up from the skillet, Eli raises his hand and makes eye contact with Paul.

Paul says,

“Interesting.  Very interesting actually.  I’m a little envious, I can’t commune with nature.  I can sense it and all, but it, at least as a whole, doesn’t seem aware in any way that I can see.”

"I'm very in tune with nature. I'm not sure I can say it senses me as a whole, but I can sense how all the different pieces fit together, if that makes sense."

“But speaking of psychic powers, one of the reasons I get invited to these group things is to serve as switchboard.  I can learn a specific animal’s mind and then be able to talk to it in the future.  This includes people.  Its just talk, and either person can turn it off, but the range is just insane, it works over thousands of kilometers.  If anyone is willing this would be a good time to set one up.  You can ask Ash here what it is like.” (Paul points to Ash)  “It isn’t telepathy, it's more like a phone call.  No probing, no controlling, there’s no juice cost after it’s set up.”

"You know, that's interesting. I've never really tried it with people.... but yes, I can speak with animals miles away from me. I'd be happy to try setting up a link, and when we have more time perhaps we can compare techniques. I'm always happy to expand my understanding of my gifts."

"I'm very in tune with nature. I'm not sure I can say it senses me as a whole, but I can sense how all the different pieces fit together, if that makes sense."
Paul answers,

"It does, but only in a the solution was obvious after the someone pointed it out kind of way."

"You know, that's interesting. I've never really tried it with people.... but yes, I can speak with animals miles away from me. I'd be happy to try setting up a link, and when we have more time perhaps we can compare techniques. I'm always happy to expand my understanding of my gifts."
Paul says,

"A link is similar to Animal talking but... well heck, I might as well just show you. Take my hand and listen inside your head for a ringing phone. Then answer it."

(Assuming he does so)

*Since people have more of a sense of self, the level of influence is non-existent. On the other hand since we are smarter the complexity of our communication is much better. I've cross trained with other people using this and its handy.*

(Assuming everyone so far took the link)

Paul is starting to look tired.

Pat glides into the kitchen, his feet a couple feet above the floor. There's a slight rippling around him, like heat waves but more defined. The ugly little dwarf doesn't say anything when he enters, just floats over to the walk-in fridge, goes in, and comes out a minute later with a couple nice looking t-bone steaks, which he then procedes to prepare and broil.

He ignores the stares of the baselines and novas, humming under his breath as he prepares his food. Once the steaks are in the oven, the floating nova goes over to the table where he hovers quietly, waiting for his steaks to cook.

"If anyone is willing this would be a good time to set one up."

Nibbling on a candy bar he'd pulled from somewhere, Brandt shrugs. "I'll give it a shot."

After the link is established, he asks, "You said the range was thousands of kilometers? Can I ask how you tested that?" The question seems born of genuine curiousity.

"You're a 'man of mystery'? What are your nova characteristics?"

"If I told you, that would ruin the mystery."

Finishing his candy bar, Brandt chuckles a bit, but still rolls his eyes. "Well, I'll ruin any mysteries about me for the rest of you right now. I'm super-fast. Think 'ludicrous-speed' and that's pretty close. Outpacing fighter-jets, that sort of thing."

He stops talking momentarily as Pat floats into the kitchen. Watching the ugly little man for a moment with a bemused look on his face, he picks up where he left off. "Sorry. Where was I? Oh, yeah, superfast. The outrunning jets thing is the most obvious bit, but I also can do almost anything else substantially faster than the norm. I'm a little stronger than normal, and a tiny bit tougher, but most people focus on the speed thing."

He shrugs. "That's pretty much it. Used to be a schoolteacher, too, but eruption has changed that career more than I would've liked."

"A link is similar to Animal talking but... well heck, I might as well just show you.  Take my hand and listen inside your head for a ringing phone.  Then answer it."

*Since people have more of a sense of self, the level of influence is non-existent.  On the other hand since we are smarter the complexity of our communication is much better.  I've cross trained with other people using this and its handy.*

Jonathan is genuinely impressed by the ability. "And you can reopen that channel whenever you like? Amazing...."

He shrugs. "That's pretty much it. Used to be a schoolteacher, too, but eruption has changed that career more than I would've liked."

"Really? I taught Junior High history for about twelve years. Fortunately, my... eruption, as it were, was hardly noticed. I kept teaching for another two and a half years afterwards, but eventually decided I wanted something else from life."

Jonathan is genuinely impressed by the ability. "And you can reopen that channel whenever you like? Amazing...."
Paul gives a tired smile,

“Pretty much, if y’all are in range.”

Nibbling on a candy bar he'd pulled from somewhere, Brandt shrugs. "I'll give it a shot."
(Paul sets up the link, its definite, he’s looking tired now.)
After the link is established, he asks, "You said the range was thousands of kilometers? Can I ask how you tested that?" The question seems born of genuine curiousity.
Paul answers,

“Originally I was on DeVries’ base in South Africa and set up a couple of links on some guys headed to Ironskin’s bar. A bit later one of them went to Europe, which also worked, and North America, which didn’t. South America worked some of the time and didn’t the rest, so that gave us a range. Think of it as half the Earth. Something like six thousand K.” :Yawn:

"Really? I taught Junior High history for about twelve years. Fortunately, my... eruption, as it were, was hardly noticed. I kept teaching for another two and a half years afterwards, but eventually decided I wanted something else from life."
Paul says,

”Ah hear that. I was a farm hand when Ah erupted. Shoveling shit or pushing a broom around in the local nuke-lar plant was never my idea of fun. Ah figure I got enough juice for one more then I’m off to hit the sack. Any takers?”

Taking the flying dwarf completely in stride, Eli starts putting out bowls with the cooked vegetables, shredded lettuce, sour cream and salsa in a self-serve line-up, then pulls out some plates and lays out a tortilla with chicken on each one. He hands one to everyone present, including the dwarf if he wants one.

”Ah hear that. I was a farm hand when Ah erupted. Shoveling shit or pushing a broom around in the local nuke-lar plant was never my idea of fun. Ah figure I got enough juice for one more then I’m off to hit the sack. Any takers?”

"Yes please! It sounds fascinating."

Brandt takes the plate with a smile. "Outstanding!" Seeming to vibrate very briefly, his plate was suddenly filled with a fully wrapped and stuffed burrito. Leaning against a counter, he takes the burrito in his hands and grins at Eli.

"Couldn't wait. But I do like to savor it...", he says before chomping into his meal.

*Testing... Albert, Fred, Ginger... Can you hear me now?*

<Yes! Crystal clear. Wonderful!> ::biggrin

"Couldn't wait. But I do like to savor it...", he says before chomping into his meal."

Eli smirks at the nova speedster.

"You must be dynamite in the sack, huh?" ::sly

Paul glances over at Pat,

"Hey Pat. I've got enough juice for one more link and you're the last nova without one. You interested?"

Pat, who's still hovering by the table, shrugs, "Not really, but I suppose you're welcome to if you really want to link minds with a madman. "

Eli smirks at the nova speedster.

"You must be dynamite in the sack, huh?" ::sly

Swallowing his last mouthful of burrito, Brandt doesn't miss a beat. "Well...being able to vibrate your whole body, or just certain...appendages...at hundreds or thousands or beats per minute can make one fairly popular." ::devil ::ultracool

After grabbing a drink from the 'fridge, he grins at Eli. "Why, you looking for tips?" ::sly

Swallowing his last mouthful of burrito, Brandt doesn't miss a beat. "Well...being able to vibrate your whole body, or just certain...appendages...at hundreds or thousands or beats per minute can make one fairly popular."  ::devil  ::ultracool
Paul says,

“Now that sounds like a useful power. Makes me wander what you were do’in when you erupted?”

Pat, who's still hovering by the table, shrugs, "Not really, but I suppose you're welcome to if you really want to link minds with a madman. "
Paul seems thoroughly non-plussed for a moment and his eye brows narrow in thought. ::huh ::wacko

”No… ::unsure

(More firmly) ”No. That won’t make a difference. The link doesn’t go that far down and iffen we have to contact ya’ll it could be a real life saver. If I’m wrong and it’s a real problem, one of us can still just break the link and not take it up again.”

“I guess I’m saying I think we should give it a try.”

(Paul walks over and holds out his hand)

“Now that sounds like a useful power.  Makes me wander what you were do’in when you erupted?”

"Saving nuns." ::wink Seeing the shocked look on some faces, he laughs and explains. "Seriously, I was down in Mexico and saw some nuns about to get plowed over by a bus. I ran over and pulled them out of the way. I didn't discover the vibrating trick till much later."

”No. That won’t make a difference. The link doesn’t go that far down and iffen we have to contact ya’ll it could be a real life saver. If I’m wrong and it’s a real problem, one of us can still just break the link and not take it up again.”

Brandt watches the new linking with interest.

(Paul walks over and holds out his hand)

Pat shrugs again, "Well, it's your sanity, I guess you're entitled to risk it. Don't say I didn't warn you though. "

Muttering to himself, "This is so f**king gay, " Pat reaches out and takes Paul's hand.

Pat shrugs again, "Well, it's your sanity, I guess you're entitled to risk it. Don't say I didn't warn you though. "

Muttering to himself, "This is so f**king gay, " Pat reaches out and takes Paul's hand.

There is a moment when nothing happens, then Paul flinches away and yells,

"OW!" and claps his hands over his ears.

Paul fingers his ears for a moment, rubs two fingers together next to them to make sure they are working, eyes Pat and says,

"Noisy. And Ah'd say that failed rather well."

He shrugs, yawns again, and says

"Well, you did warn me. I'm not trying that again unless you dorm down first. And in any case, Ah'm done for the night. Thanks for the food ya'll, but that's it for me."

Paul leaves, goes to his room, and sleeps.

There is a moment when nothing happens, then Paul flinches away and yells,

"OW!" and claps his hands over his ears.

Paul fingers his ears for a moment, rubs two fingers together next to them to make sure they are working, eyes Pat and says,

"Noisy. And Ah'd say that failed rather well."

Pat grins, an ugly, grotesque grin that seems slightly malicious, though mostly amused, saying nothing.

"Well, you did warn me. I'm not trying that again unless you dorm down first. And in any case, Ah'm done for the night. Thanks for the food ya'll, but that's it for me."

Paul leaves, goes to his room, and sleeps.

About a minute after Paul leaves, Pat floats over to the oven and removes his steaks. Putting them on a plate, he floats back over to the table and begins eating the very rare steak with his hands and teeth, the juice getting spattered all over his face, and running down his chin, staining and matting hair in various places.

Several of the baselines in the room start looking nauseous after a few moments of watching the disgusting little nova eat, a few of them quickly leaving, but most just pointedly looking elsewhere.

Equally disgusted by the dwarf's eating style, Brandt grimaces and makes his goodbyes.

"I'm going to try and find my room, relax for a bit before the meeting tomorrow. See you all later." ::smile

And with that, he's gone, disappeared in a brief puff of wind.

"I'm going to try and find my room, relax for a bit before the meeting tomorrow. See you all later."

And with that, he's gone, disappeared in a brief puff of wind.

Eli chuckles appreciately.

"See you tomorrow, Brandt."

After polishing off four or five burritoes, Eli heads back into the kitchen area to start washing the pans and dishes he used.

Pat ignores comments and stares alike, wolfing down the two t-bones in short order. Cleaning himself by wiping his face and hands on his shirt, he leaves his plates on the table and float off towards his room without another word. Once he gets there, he hovers a few inches over the matress and closes his eyes...

Eli grunts irritably when he sees the dwarf's (troll's) dirty dishes lying around, but cleans them for him without much other comment.

OOC: Of course, my characters are a pretty much even split between three groups; characters that would do this, characters that would just leave the plates lying there, and characters that would go upstairs and beat the Sleepy out of your guy, so good job on lucking out this time. ::sly ::wink

(We're skipping ahead, alright? If anyone forgot anything that they absolutely needed to do, type it quickly. ::happy )

The next morning, after a large breakfast, you head for the place marked on your map as the conference room. Sitting at the head of the table is one of the thinnest people you've ever seen, doodling on a piece of paper as he waits for all of the novas to assemble - Eli and Pat recognize him as Michal. Once everyone is in their seats, he glances up, smiling, and flicks a finger at the door, closing it. "Good morning, everyone," he says as he rises to his feet, brushing brown hair back from his glowing green and silver eyes. "I'm Michal Wesson, owner and dictator-in-charge of SuperGeek Enterprises." His grin comes naturally as he gestures a hand at the screen behind him. "All of you are here because you answered a very carefully broadcast message for people with your skills. However," he pauses and a series of closed folders float out across the table, one setting down in front of each of you. "However, there's a lot of very sensitive equipment in the lab. That means before we can start, everyone needs to sign these non-disclosure agreements."

Once all of the unusually simple paperwork is done, Michal walks to the door and opens it, crooking a finger as he starts through the hallways. At the back of the building (and through that pesky card-reader door), he leads you down several flights of stairs, down a series of downward-tilted tunnels, and after what must be at least a mile of walking and stair climbing, pauses before a large blast door. "Once inside this facility, ladies and gentlemen, leaving will be a difficult matter. Your job is both important, sensitive, and will almost certainly require decontamination." He glances across the group. "The next few days are more of a ... crash course on what you'll be doing. If you think you'll need extra equipment, or particular items, you'll have a chance to leave before the job really starts." As he turns back towards the door, it unlocks itself with a series of massive clunks, and swings inward slowly, only to reveal another matching door on the other side - an airlock large enough to fit a truck.

Inside the facility, cables and pipes are attached to the ceiling, and many of the people in coveralls are walking around, this time moving equipment and computer parts through the pipe-like hallways. Passing what looks like an armory, a floating Indian man (Rieller) is arguing with a female in a police uniform (the ever-delectable Claire) over the uses of some sniper rifle, and then Michal stops before a fairly normal steel door. Opening it with a show-off flair, he leads the way into a small meeting room with a window, looking down into a massive room hewn out of the rock. Near the back of the room, not quite against the back wall, is a large metal ring, ten feet across on the inside. "Welcome to the Sliding facility. The ring down there I bought from a TV studio a few years ago, and used it to house the equipment needed to send people out to explore alternate timelines. Since we've perfected the methods needed to bring back the people and equipment we send through, all of you are going to be the first people to set foot on the Earth of an alternate timeline." He points towards another door on the other side of the room. "Go through there and down the stairs and talk to Richard. He'll let you know what you'll be doing for the next week until you're all ready to head out. You'll all have one last briefing with me before your last weekend here on Earth, so any questions Richard can't answer I'll deal with then."

(As before, if you have something to add/question/do/drool, type it in and I'll just consider it happened during this part.)

Paul signs the paperwork without comment and then walks along with the team to the "show".

After seeing the "ring gate" and hearing the "...all of you are going to be the first people to set foot on the Earth of an alternate timeline." He blinks heavily, thinks for a moment, and doesn't say anything. He thinks (but doesn't say),

*Please tell me they have tried this thing on rodents and such already... I wonder if mental links ignore alternativities?*

Archived