Aberrant: Trans-Dimensional Explorations - SuperGeek Enterprises: Exploration

BlueNinja

Not that Cameron would know...but I'm sure he wouldn't mind getting down on some mind link with everyone else. hint hint?
Ah, heck, I'd forgotten about that... and you got introduced right before the Portal so we can't back date it.

First down period we get Paul will offer.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BN, hope you don't mind but I edited Esteban's entry in the FAQ to include his known abilities you forgot. Also I think Theo and Zhenglai are going to on at least quasi-NPC status for awhile. Do we want to open up the game for any further new players?

BN, hope you don't mind but I edited Esteban's entry in the FAQ to include his known abilities you forgot.
I put that in mostly to give people a rough idea of each PC's theme and most obvious powers. I don't think I listed everything for everyone.
Also I think Theo and Zhenglai are going to on at least quasi-NPC status for awhile. Do we want to open up the game for any further new players?
Adding new players, at least in the immediate future, means they will have to be dimensional displacees - not impossible, but it will (at some times) leave them as outsiders to the rest of the party, mostly when things involve "Home Earth". There are two PCs with bad histories with CoMA, one with bad history with the Teragen, and then there's the issues with the Directive/PU going after you for working for Michal. A character from another dimension will have to have most of that explained to them - in character. Not impossible, just a bit more difficult.

I didn't know there was a permeability extra for warp, I figured it depended on how you defined your ability at creation and what the ST feels is appropriate, but yeah an extra would work.

Anyway BN, don't miss my post right before your last one. I think I posted while you were writing yours.

Alex, I already posted (and re-posted in the Quick Reference thread) that you can use “any applicable extra” with two successes on a power max. So Mask could certainly attempt the power max to make his Warp Permeable. Whether or not it would do any good is another matter entirely; one end of the Warp has to be within the short range from him, so he can’t link together an orbiting ship and the sun, or a volcano or the ocean unless he travels to those locations. There’s also the matter of whether or not that would assist in the plan to storm one of the ships.

He could warp onto the ship, then create another warp to the bottom of the ocean. Considering the pressure involved it'd come out like a water lathe and make a mess, but that might be a good thing.

Aye, that was more in stride with what I'm talking about. That or opening a warp about 200 feet away into space. Chances are that they aren't in full space gear if they are in a massive ship, and chances are they are not all able to survive the vaccum.

If I can do this permeable thing...wouldn't that just suck everything out?

In a space ship where explosive decompression is an ongoing concern? I can see water pressure tearing down doors and even walls, but a spaceship is probably built to deal with exposure to space.

Worse, they're cyborgs, they may actually be built for low air... but water is a different issue.

Holy crap!!! Welcome Rorx! I had this funny feeling that Nathan person was going to be a new PC but didn't know it was you.

::welcome

Welcome aboard the Trans-D express! Do you have anything to declare before leaving your home dimension??? ::happy

::biggrin Thanks for the welcome SkyLion.

Yeah, Nathan being a new PC was going to be pretty obvious, but hopefully he'll fit in and develop ok.

BlueNinja invited me to join just after you guys left Home Earth, then in the next PM accussed me of bad timing! ::laugh Anyway, I was delighted to be invited and rattled off a character ASAP. However, as I'm sure I've posted elsewhere, my knowledge of Aberrant isn't as good as my Trinity, so I hope you'll all forgive any mistakes I make.

Anything to declare?

Well if you think about my recent posts you'll be able to guess the core power for his theme, and other than that he's not likely to be bringing a lot of equipment with him, since his world just got trashed an' all...

In fact lets see...

A nice but small flawless diamond on a chain round his neck.

A ring of a dull, silvery metal.

a hand taser

a pda/mobile

a book of fiendish Sudoko puzzles ::biggrin

a pair of canteens

some high cal/Nova snack food.

His clothes.

I think that is about it at this point. ::biggrin

Other than that I'd just like to say that I hope to be around here for a good long time ::biggrin

So far the only thing that has been mentioned about Nathan is that he can phase. What other tricks has he phased up his sleeve? Remember to post up in the meet the characters thread... :speeddemon_sm:

True, but I meant my posts in other topics/forums here... ::laugh

I had considered putting some stuff up in meet the characters, but then thought that perhaps I should wait until you have found out a little more IC? ::biggrin

Ok, so how do you think he would do his phasing?

Well I just went back and looked through your whole history of posts to date. The vast majority have to do with Trinity so excluding those you have really only been active in the discussion of matter creation and molecular maniopulation. Seeing as how we already have a matter creator (The Mask) in the party I don't think BN would have let you take that niche. Which leaves Molecular Manipulation. You might achieve phasing through Matter Chameleon which nobody has yet.

I didn't know that you could do that! ::biggrin

Sorry to have caused you so much work, but Congratulations, those are indeed the initial two powers he erupted with ::sly . And the reason for three of the items he carries, the ring, the pendant and the hand taser. Other powers he has or will develop follow a similar line, or extend from the special effect of how he believes he does things... ::ultracool

Perhaps I should make an entry into the Meet the Characters topic, since you've deduced the bulk of his powers, although he would be very interestred in anything that he could learn from Estiban or the Mask in various areas. ::sly

Im guessing the dull silvery ring is actually titanium or perhaps something denser?

IN any case Im really lloking forward to him using Matter Chameleon on the Nova snack bar or perhaps the Sudoku puzzles. ::laugh

How much Mega Int does Nathan boast?

Close with the ring, Titanium is only density 4 or so, Iron is about 8. The ring is an alloy, to make it easier to make in the first place, although I suppose he could have just shaped a sample of the pure element...It's the highest density stable element I could think of off the top of my head - Osmium (sp?) with a density in the low 20's.

I hadn't thought of the snack bars etc in quite that way before, but once he gets Regeneration I suppose he could turn himself into Kendal Mint Cake ::laugh and sacrifice an arm or something to keep those without Adaptability going for a while! ::laugh

At the moment he is only M-Int 2, M-Sta 2, and M-Wits 1, but I intend to improve that (if I can) as we go along, as well as several other M-stats he might develop...

I apologize in advance for saying this and hope I dont come across as too nitpicky or critical but can we please refrain from calling powers by their book names? Adaptability, Matter Chameleon etc. I dunno...sort of breaks the fourth wall for me when a character speaks like they are reading the book. ::blush

And whats the big idea of another shapeshifter anyways? Do you want to compete for my niche? ::tongue

::blush Yeah, sorry about that. I would have prefered to give a bit of a description instead, but my wife works from home a lot, so while she is on the computer I have to post from my cellphone which puts a limit on my post size.

Having said that any group that analyzes nova powers over a decent population will discern patterns within their powers and assign them a label. The names from the rules are just as good a label for them to have come up with as any other. ::sly

As for being a shifter, it fits in with his progression of his theme.

He erupted while working on/researching generalised assembler/disassembler nanotech - which remain the special effect for his powers. Hence his core power being Molecular Manipulation. The Matter Chameleon is the application of the Alteration-change technique to his own body. Shapeshifting is the same for the Shape Alteration technique.

In amongst a variety of skill improvements, the 'nanites' will continue to improve his body and brain as well as themselves.

See what I mean about the cellphone limiting the length of my posts.

Anyway here is an example of how I see his development going. Given the nanites can now work on shaping his body, and after improving that some the next logical step is to be able to heal that body - Regeneration. Then after improving their abilities with liquids and solids (MM 3 perhaps some of the others up a dot as well), they could begin to work with gases (Matter Creation, sorry Mask ::ohmy ). Probably the last major power would be to combine Shifting and Regenerations knowledge of the body to develop Clone, although Homunculus is a possible in between stage.

As for being a shifter, it fits in with his progression of his theme.

He erupted while working on/researching generalised assembler/disassembler nanotech - which remain the special effect for his powers. Hence his core power being Molecular Manipulation. The Matter Chameleon is the application of the Alteration-change technique to his own body. Shapeshifting is the same for the Shape Alteration technique.

In amongst a variety of skill improvements, the 'nanites' will continue to improve his body and brain as well as themselves.

I can sort of see that. Im in another game with a similar nanotech character. The main area where I see too much overlap is that Esteban is an "energy based" shapeshifter, and your theme for Matter Chameleon works its almost too broad for what you said. How does having a body of nanites transform into a cohesive form of air or gasses, or eben energy forms like plasma or electricity? Its not so much of a problem now but it starts to encroach upon where my theme was going further on down the line.

And again my apologies for bitching, but I just had this same sort of niche stepping happen to my character in another game and it really irked me, especially when I have tried so hard to find my own distinct niche in every game I play including and especially this one. Frankly, Im surprised BN didn't call you on it at the proposal stage....

Edit: Although I suppose alot of it does have to do with how you choose to play it. The SS/MC combo is what sort of throws me off, but if you kept in within the plausible realm of nanytes it would make more sense. IE are you planning on shifting into a cat or a tyranosauraus any time soon?

Actually I gave BlueNinja a choice of 2 very rough outlines and Nathan was the one he choose, but to be fair to him my ideas for Nathan's development came later as I flicked through the rules for possible logical extensions.

The nanite path became a souped up composite version of the nano-altered character types from a game called CyberGen. At the moment Nathan is extrapolated from a combined Tinman and Alchemist with addition of the Matter Chameleon. Rather than extending off the MM I could expand to the other types from CyberGen.

Archived