Trinity RPG - Getting Orbital

Slagheap

Maybe this has been covered somewhere else, or maybe it just represents a part of the game best glossed over, but how do the ships get into orbit? It takes a velocity of approximately mach 11 to break away from Earth's gravity, so how do any of the ships get into space?

I don't really like the idea of huge rocket boosters still being used in the Trinity era. The way I figure it this situation is what keeps star ports important. What system do you have starports use in your games to launch ships into space? Maybe a big catapulting mechanism, or some other way. I'm planning on using some space flight in my next game, and I figure it'll be more emersive, if I can describe the launch process.

-Slag

I didn't think the rails would have been powerfull enough to launch a ship from earth, I put it down to luna's low gravity.

Since there are ships (scarab for example) capable of landing and taking off in an atmosphere that the rails would severly limit them and prevent them from landing anywhere the rails weren't already established.

Ok, as a technic fan I read everything about spacetravel that´s published for Trinity. Packing all together it is as it has been mentioned before.

All these Hybrids take off an land like normal aircraft/VTOLs. The hyperfusion engines are mostly strong enough to let them fly ballistical (Gaining hight like a rocket) only those freighters with VS 1 or less. have to gain hight very slowly.

Remember, these Vessels are called HYBRIDs because they are able to operate in and out of athmosphere likewise. (or in Air and water , as some other vessels are capable of)

Getting orbital by flying up like a normal jet until you reach the point where your "normal" jet-engine gets no more oxygen an then switch over to your "space"-engine is much less fuel consuming as a vertical lifftoff like a rocket because you can use the lifting force of your wings. As far as I have seen all Hybrids are constructed to get some lift by wings or a shaped "lifting body".

Ever heared of the so called "Sänger-System"? That engineer talked about a two-part-system to gain orbit, a big jet that´s capable off reaching the uppermost regions of the stratosphere and a spacecraft piggypacked that will start from there to get into orbit. Now take the technical capabilities of Trinity an pack that into one Vessel.

Grizzly, that is very useful information. I had not heard of that system, but that does lay to rest many of my concerns about getting into space, and packages it in an explaination I can easily accept (thus making it easier for me to use it in a game). Thanks

-Slag

Archived