Aberrant: Quantum Zero - Nippontai High OOC

ProfPotts

Name: Codex

PC Name: Kaede 'Onkei' Nakamura

Club: Anything that's to do with social or traditional cultural pursuits

No backing, but Influence 1 (she is a very pretty girl), Cipher 1 (only a few folks know she is a nova), Contacts 3 (she knows a few people at the school), and Resources 1 (she's very poor).

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what would you call your parents?

Mom and Dad. ( or "Haha to Chichi." in japanese...Yes, Goku's wife is named Dad)

Name: Bahamut810

Character: Yoshi Oda

Club: Kendo (he *lives* tradition, he dosent need a club for it)

Backing: Just getting to the school, so no backing as of yet

Name: Heritage

Character: Nabiki Watabe

Club: Girls' football/soccer

Backing: 1 (she's been at the school since jr high, somewhat riding on her more popular older sister's coattails to get into the club, but is a great player)

Well, I'll pretty much post up my PM to the Prof (who is a GOD in human guise)

Isaac Felaro was a fairly normal Australian teenager. He was quite studious, but his talents lied more in his relationships with people. He was always likeable and friendly, eliciting good relations with the best part of his peers. His best relationship, however, was with Kathy Nielson, in Year Eight. His first kiss, and his eruption. The excitement caused by his relationship opened his MR Node, enhancing his already-amazing people skills and gifting him with some direct control over the minds of others. He is now almost supernaturally friendly and likeable, with a powerfully congenial manner (Mega-Charisma). He has been gifted with excellent musical ability (Mega-Charisma again). His control over other minds currently includes the ability to remove himself from their experience (Invisibility) and implant weak mental impulses (Hypnosis).

He was approached soon after his eruption to join an exchange program to Japan, an effort to bring about cordial relations between Australia and Japan. He accepted, and is currently staying with a host family in Japan (Allies 1). The Australian government pays his host family a hefty allowance to stay with them. (Resources 3). At school, despite the fact that he is a foreigner, his friendly manner and his skill with music have made him fairly popular with his classmates (Influence 2) and have gained him a close friend (Allies +1). He is a member of the Western Culture study club, bringing his knowlege of Western culture (another effort for international relations).

Abilities: Isaac is not a very physical person, so his physical training extends to basic Athletics and some Stealth training to best make use of his invisibility. In an effort to fit in, however, he has recieved training in a Martial Art (Ninjutsu) additionally making use of his natural dexterity. His schooling mostly extends to the Osaka's program, with Science and Academics. However, being a native English speaker, he has devoted his linguistic studies to Japanese - now being sufficiently fluent for regular Japanese classes. He has also put some study into... less savoury practices, such as Legerdemain and Intrusion, again to make further use of his Invisibility if need be. He has a natural Rapport with others, and has devoted time to honing his people skills. He is naturally Stylish to an extent. He is a musical prodigy due to his Nova powers, being fully comptent at guitar and piano, and with an excellent singing voice. His voice has excellent range, being suited to almost any performance, be it an operatic aria or a rock concert. He personally feels happier with a guitar in his hands playing Pearl Jam than performing Pirates of Penzance, but he is not picky. He has devoted time to learning Japanese Etiquette, and already knows Australian Etiqutte (yes, it exists).

(Note: I am assuming the etiquette ability means knowledge of how to behave in a culture, someone tell me if I'm wrong)

Who wants to be my friend?

::smiley5 Isaac could have met Akira during his attempts to learn martial arts. Same with Hiro and anyone else who comes to the dark side. ::sith Bahamut, maybe our characters might be rivals of sorts?

Okay guys, I'm gonna go against the grain here and just post what his classmates would know about him, rather than his life story..

Akechi Akira: aspiring businessman, Vice President of the Judo Club (Backing 2), scion of the wealthy Akechi samurai bloodline (Resources 4). While not as outgoing as some members of the class, Akira is well-known as a loyal friend and a responsible leader (Influence 2). Rumor has it that he's a dormant nova, but most people simply allude this to jealousy of his Judo skills and handsome physique - besides, he's good, but he's not nova good (Cipher 1 ::sly ).

I might type up a prologue of sorts later on.

It was easy to copy everyone who included their own “name”. Some of this is assumed, but this is what we have.

Name: Alex Green  Character: Kenshi Koizumi

Club: Baseball (not very set on it): Backing: 0

Name: Phoenix  Character: Akechi Akira

Club: Definitely martial arts, preferably judo or Kendo. Backing: 1 or 2

Name: Bahamut810  Character: Yoshi Oda

Club: Kendo (he *lives* tradition, he doesn’t need a club for it) Backing: 0

Name: Nullifier  Character: Hiro Shujinkou

Club: Judo (I think); Backing: 0

Name: Heritage  Character: Nabiki Watabe

Club: Girls' football/soccer; Backing: 1

Name: Ezekiel  Character: ?

Club: ?; Backing: Class President (3?)

Name: Codex  Character: Kaede 'Onkei' Nakamura

Club: Social or traditional cultural pursuits; Backing: 0

Name: Shopping Mal  Character: Isaac Felaro

Club: Western Culture study; Backing: (0?)

Comments:

1) So far there are no “backing” overlaps, i.e. no two people have taken the same jobs in the same groups.

2) Five of us are in very physical clubs (Baseball, Mart-Arts, Kendo, Judo, Girl’s soccer)

3) There seems to be more of an interest in Mart-Arts so I’ll switch.

4) Basically the choice seems to be between Judo and Kendo.

Questions:

A) Just so I’m clear on the mechanics, is Kendo “The way of the sword” a Martial Art or is it a Melee skill?

B) Are sports in Japan segregated by Sex? I.e. Boys and Girls?

C) I see two choices, either all four of us end up in the same Judo/Kendo club, or we could split and have club rivalries.

A) Just so I’m clear on the mechanics, is Kendo “The way of the sword” a Martial Art or is it a Melee skill?

B) Are sports in Japan segregated by Sex? I.e. Boys and Girls?

C) I see two choices, either all four of us end up in the same Judo/Kendo club, or we could split and have club rivalries.

A) Melee

B) Im not 100% sure, but I do believe it is. Exceptions would be in 'Class' events (like field day where it puts class v class)

C) We would all be in the same club/s. No use for 2 kendo clubs...Kendo and Judo however are very different... ::sly

Bahamut, maybe our characters might be rivals of sorts?

I dunno. Our characters may have met a time or two (high resource gala's) I dont think he really would have met anyone so far. He is just coming to the school, and he has been away for a while. They may *become* rivals, but it wouldent be strait off.

C) We would all be in the same club/s. No use for 2 kendo clubs...Kendo and Judo however are very different...

I don't think that's what he meant. The question is, do we want most of the class to be in the same club, or not? As I see it, it seems kind of dumb to have members spread out over multiple martial arts clubs, but since we'll all be in the same class, there's also no need for people who wouldn't ordinarily take it to be in that club. Judo seems to be the predominant martial arts club, so I'm just saying there's no real need for there to be PCs in aikido or jujitsu. But whatever.

I dunno. Our characters may have met a time or two (high resource gala's) I dont think he really would have met anyone so far. He is just coming to the school, and he has been away for a while. They may *become* rivals, but it wouldent be strait off.

OK.

I am willing to have Nabiki join one of the martial arts/melee clubs if it makes things funner/easier. I originally didn't think she had a enough discipline for it, and gave her ranks in Brawl instead, but having watched some of my old Ranma 1/2 tapes, I see that I was mistaken, seeing as everyone just throws everyone else out of windows and into convinient pools and such ::tongue There is, after all, a big difference with having the skill to do something, and having the maturity to do it wisely. ::wink

Personally, I love the idea of a rivalry between the kendo and judo clubs - for some folks, it would be more friendly, for others, deadly serious. For myself, I'd only have to figure out which makes more sense for Nabiki's personality, and then switch the points over there. Hmm.....

A thought - I said my older sister, my mentor, is head of my club. Are they both open in Kendo and Judo clubs, or are they already filled by a PC or NPC? I'm pretty flexible either way, but I'm leaning towards putting Nabiki in Kendo, since I can see her really liking to hit people with big sticks ::devil

A thought - I said my older sister, my mentor, is head of my club. Are they both open in Kendo and Judo clubs, or are already filled by a PC or NPC? I'm pretty flexible either way, but I'm leaning towards putting Nabiki in Kendo, since I can see her really liking to hit people with big sticks ::devil

Kendo president is still open. Ill give you a run for your money though ::devilangel

Just remember...it may not be that easy to hit some of us with sticks. ::sly

Also...

I just wanted to point everyone to a great short story-manga that would give great inspiration to this game...

War Council by Rumico Takahashi. It can be found in the Manga Vizion mag (Vol 2, no 8), and in vol 1 or 2 (cant remember) of the Rumic World Trilogy.

The students are going to a school called Wartime High that is, seriously a war zone. The War Council is in charge of budgeting for the clubs, and the onyl way to get the new budget approved is to have the budget stamped with the official War Council Presidents stamp.

The Scolastic club (or nerd council) and the Combat (or jock council) are some in a big competition with eachother (as the largest clubs) to get it so that they can have more funding! There are other clubs, but none so large or aggresive!

Fun ensues!

Kendo president is still open. Ill give you a run for your money though ::devilangel

It would be her older sister Fujiko, not Nabiki, and Nabiki hates her sister! ::angry Prettier, smarter, a better student, beloved by all the teachers - yuck! ::tongue

Just remember...it may not be that easy to hit some of us with sticks. ::sly

And therein lies the challenge! ::biggrin

Makes you wonder what Hiyugo sees in her. ::biggrin

Oh yeah, I never replied - I'm fine with that whole deal ::thumbsup

Well, Fujiko is 'perfect' and everything (I guess Prof would do her actual scores and all ::wink), but perfect doesn't always mean 'interesting'. Nabiki's got edge, baby, and might smoke cigarettes off of school property ::smokin ::tongue

My backing is 2, BTW. Isaac, being a representative of Western culture, has been given a quite important position in the study club, often teaching the other members.

I just realised I left that out.

Pheonix: That sounds like a great idea. Besides, Akira, the great leader, might want to show off his great leadership abilities by befriending the gaijin, maybe? ::smile

Well, Fujiko is 'perfect' and everything (I guess Prof would do her actual scores and all ::wink), but perfect doesn't always mean 'interesting'. Nabiki's got edge, baby, and might smoke cigarettes off of school property ::smokin ::tongue

Which I guess means Hiyugo does too then, even if he doesn't look very cool when he's doing it. I figure he's always on the periphery of whatever Nabiki is doing, but far too shy and nervous to actually initiate a conversation with her. ::nervous

RE: Clubs.

We don't need to be in the same clubs to make this interesting. To me the most important thing is what the club means to your character. For instance, judo is the peaceful, sports version of jiujitsu. If you're in the judo club you do it to get in shape or maybe compete. If you're into jiujitsu you want to learn to fight. Major difference in my opinion.

And by the way: Ok, maybe you can be taught ninjutsu somewhere in Japan, but in a high school!?! ::blink

And by the way: Ok, maybe you can be taught ninjutsu somewhere in Japan, but in a high school!?! 

Funny thing, I actually studied Ninjutsu when I was in high school/first year of college. It was in America, but my master was trained by the 34th Grand Master of Ninjutsu in Japan. By the way, the hand to hand combat portion of Ninjutsu is called Taijutsu. Nijutsu also entails a form of kendo (though with the Ninja-To vs. katana) as well as stealth training, tree climbing, stealth swimming (to include how to breathe properly through a breathing tube) and various other non-combat related things.

As a side note, Taijutsu is actually on the 'soft' side of martial arts (which may come as a surprise to some). It has a lot of similarities to jiu-jutsu (holds, pressure points) and Aikido (throws, redirection). There are very few strikes, and most of them are counterstrikes. The concept was that you could immobolize/quiet your opponent quickly in order to reach the true objective (be it assassination or intelligence gathering), and never begin an engagement (it was always preferable to avoid confrontation).

Ok, way too much... sorry. ::halo

Umm... kay...

My dad is a fifth dan black belt, and I don't think he ever mentioned anything like that. He did teach me about more subtle ways to win, though (including, like you mentioned, just walking away)

Ah well. Isaac's trained in Taijutsu, then. All I know is I spent two points on Martial Arts, and none on Melee.

On second thought... ninjutsu does inclue melee training, doesn't it...

Crap. Point reworking.

I know I'm double-posting, but this is a new thought.

Empathic Manipulation

I'm looking at this power for my character, later on. The power says you need a "Perception + Empathic Manipulation" roll to determine the emotions of a target.

Shouldn't this be Wits + Rapport? Or even if it's Quantum-based, Wits + Empathic Manipulation?

I say this because Rapport is a Wits skill. Natural Empath is a Mega-Wits enhancement. The power is basically saying that Isaac, a natural empath (note lowercase) with Wits 4 and Rapport 4, should roll 3 dice to determine a target's emotion (2 Perception + 1 Empathic Manipulation).

Any thoughts?

Mal, just so you don't think I'm making this stuff up, here is a quote from the dojo I studied at:

What is Ninjutsu? Ninjutsu is an extremely effective personal defense system and philosophy, and one of the chief cornerstones of my Art of Combat Warrior Martial Art System. The Japanese unarmed training, "taijutsu", is very beautiful and flowing. Its passive nature of hiding and escaping danger is very important in our daily lives. There are many health benefits that result from training in this art. This art re-teaches you how to move as you once did as a child. This is the unique unarmed combat method of the ninja that is over 1,000 years old. The Kamiyama Ninjutsu system applies scientific knowledge (biomechanics, physics, mechanics, physiology, kinesieology, geography, psychology, etc) to combat fighting and survival. The student learns the scientific knowledge of, rolling, falling, footwork, leaping, weak points of the body and strikes. The grappling methods, "jutaijutsu", teaches joint locks, chokes, throws, escapes, ground fighting, and submissions. Stick training, "bojutsu", uses 6 different lengths, 6 inch, 12 inch, 28 inch, 3 feet, 4 feet, and 6 feet. Other weapons include: "ningu", kenjutsu (sword), shuriken (throwing blades), kusarifundo (weighted chain), kyoketsu shoge (sickle-knife with cord and weight), tanto (knife), sojutsu (spear), shuko (hand claws), kiai (spirit power), yugei (polite arts), naginatajutsu (halberd), and others. A few of the most important aspects of Ninjutsu training is the "sanmitsu" or three secrets, the "sakki" or killing intention, and the "sanshin" or the three hearts. With these the student of Ninjutsu guides his life through the good times and the bad times. The Kamiyama Ninjutsu system was created to be easy to learn and simple to use systemized means of learning to survive in any extreme situation. The Kamiyama Ninjutsu system can be used in unarmed or weaponry combat, disaster scenarios, or in severe weather or climate. Really a complete learning experience. Ninjutsu students are always working their will to over come suffering and come out as the winner.

I am a direct student of Masaaki Hatsumi, 34th Soke, Grandmaster, of Togakure ryu ninpo happo biken. Which has been passed down from his teacher, Toshigatsu Takamatsu 33rd Soke and from his teacher, Shinryuken Masamitsu Toda 32nd Soke. This unbroken lineage goes way back to the founder, Daisuke Togakure in 1160. Because of this 1,000 year genealogy, you can say my system of self-protection based on 1,000 years of combat experience. Something to ponder while looking into where to train for true self-protection skills.

Link to website:http://www.artofcombat.com/ninintro.html

Any thoughts?

Sure...buy some perception. ::wink ::tongue

Rapport means you've got to be sharp enough to pick up on mannerisms.

Empathic manipulation allows you to actually perceive emotions. Seems closer to Perception to me.

Btw, I'm waiting for Prof's approval before posting anything on my character. I suspect he's tied up in City of Heroes right now. ::biggrin

Archived