Aberrant: Quantum Zero - Nippontai High OOC

ProfPotts

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

k, another question...

could you, say, buy a 2nd level power for 3 pts in year 1

then come year 2

spend 2 nova points to add an extra? Kinda show the powers progression...

Also, I was thinking of maybe instead of 10 / 10 / 10 it could be 15 / 10 / 5 which would mean characters would be more nova at the beginning but still have a levelled progression. Just a thought, I'm happy either way.

"Look, up in the sky, it's the Heritage signal!"

(insert image of Heritage silhouetted, fists on hips, against a city skyline. A spotlight projects the combined Venus/Mars symbol on a cloud overhead)

"Bravely taking up the torch of sexual ambiguity, once again young Heritage answers the call to arms as he proudly declares:"

"This game needs a hot chick!"

(blare of trumpets, fade to black)

C'mon, we need an Akane-type from Ranma 1/2! I have no concept yet, but I sense a strong need ::tongue

Why is it whenever I create a character, the campaign stalls? Some version of Conduit, or at least a character with animated hair, would fit perfectly in a game like this! Of course, I could make her completely different....

Would "Elimental Anima: Hair" makes sense? ::unsure

...then come year 2; spend 2 nova points to add an extra?

It's Prof's choice, but I suspect so. I mean you could with experience so it doesn't seem that big a deal.

...Also, I was thinking of maybe instead of 10 / 10 / 10 it could be 15 / 10 / 5 which would mean characters would be more nova at the beginning but still have a levelled progression.

I would guess "No". That's not "levelled", that's "front ended". I would guess you could "save" nova points (5/10/15) (again, you can save experience).

But the Prof might make an exception for the truly trapped characters. Someone who wants to start with a Q5 min power and without aberrations has to spend at least 11 nova points. But that would be an exception of one nova point and not be a very strong starting character.

If I were running someone like that (and I might be if I go the Q5 route) I would still get something else for the first batch of 10. A super-smart time manipulator would IMHO be better off starting High School super-smart (and with a few background and/or attributes).

"This game needs a hot chick!"

Well, I'm certainly in favor of that! ::biggrin

Really? What's the cost to upgrade a power/buy an extra with experience? For some reason I didn't think you could..just buy, not upgrade.

I would guess "No". That's not "levelled", that's "front ended". I would guess you could "save" nova points (5/10/15) (again, you can save experience).

But the Prof might make an exception for the truly trapped characters. Someone who wants to start with a Q5 min power and without aberrations has to spend at least 11 nova points. But that would be an exception of one nova point and not be a very strong starting character.

If I were running someone like that (and I might be if I go the Q5 route) I would still get something else for the first batch of 10. A super-smart time manipulator would IMHO be better off starting High School super-smart (and with a few background and/or attributes).

Yeah, guess it all depends on the answer to the starting quantum question. Thing is if you start with 3 quantum and later buy 2 more, you don't really get the "Oooh, ahh! Untapped power!" effect. With 15 points you can buy the 5 pts and maybe an enhancement or something.

What's the cost to upgrade a power/buy an extra with experience? For some reason I didn't think you could..just buy, not upgrade.

Upgrade cost: Is the cost to buy, minus the cost you have already paid.

Example: You have three dots of Q-Bolt. You want “Area”.

The cost to buy three dots of q-bolt would be 6+5+10 or “21” (that’s what you have already paid).

The cost to buy three dots of q-bolt+Area would be 9+7+14 or “30”.

So your cost to upgrade is “9”.

Thing is if you start with 3 quantum and later buy 2 more, you don't really get the "Oooh, ahh! Untapped power!" effect.

Sure you can, several ways. Keep in mind that the characters don’t know what the players know, and that includes their powers and quantum levels.

Joe nova has Q3 and Q-Bolt 2.

Joe’s player buys more Q, or more Q-Bolt, or an extra (an extra would cost 4 dots), or even another power.

Joe the character doesn’t know he’s had an upgrade. If he normally pulls his Q-Bolt it may take him a long time to find out. But the next time he really needs it, he will find it.

This trick also works with more Megas, or enhancements.

Joe thinks he has mega-strength 1 and Q-Leap. What he actually has is Mega-Str 2, Q-Leap, and Crush with a node of 3. If he really pushes it he will find “untapped power” to the tune of doing 7[20] lethal rather than 7[5] bashing.

O.k., I'm a bit confused. Maybe you folks are adding differently than I am, but as far as I can tell, it's perfectly possible to build character with Q5, a level 3 power, and no abberations on 10NPs. I count 3 Taint, 6 NPs spent on Quantum, and 3 NP spent on the power, which still leaves a NP left over, and no abberations. Besides which, what makes y'all so sqeamish 'bout Taint and aberrations? Isn't the name of the game Aberrant? Seriously, you want major-league powers, I say you take your Taint and whatever aberrations that come with it as a fair price to pay. ::lookaround ::devilangel Otherwise, you can play an un-erupted character and hold off your eruption till at least year 2, when you'll have 20NPs to play with. ::tongue

My basic concept is Watabe Nabiki aka 'Tanuki' the beautiful tomboy who likes to get into mischief. Possibly Mega-Manip (Trickster), low level Shapeshift, Mega-Appear (First Impress, maybe one or two more), possibly Mega-Dex (Fast Tasks) for setting up pranks at a moment's notice, etc. ::biggrin

Always geting into trouble, but good at weaseling out of it, too ::devilangel

Phew - a lot of activity here - all good stuff guys! I'll try to answer a few questions:

Well, what if my character is openly a Nova with Mega-Physicals, but 'dorms down for every match? Would this be frowned upon?

The school wouldn't encourage pupils to be 'openly Nova' at all (smacks a little too much of glory-seeking in the Nova-obsessed Japanese culture), but if (due to circumstances) he was a known Nova, then Dorming down to compete with baselines would probably been seen as the 'honourable' thing to do - although some would, inevitably, suspect cheating none-the-less.

I've got a pretty clear picture of what kind of personality and background I want to play, but I'm not so sure power-wise. I'm thinking about either a telepath-type or a weather manipulation/elemental anima type. Any arguments for or against any of them?

If you have a clear idea of the rest of the character then your best bet might be to not worry about the eruption bit yet & play as a baseline for a while to see how things fall together.

So how about I play the president or VP of the Young Entrepreneurs club...the tie-wearing wannabes? Would such a club exist? Wear suits instead of school uniform by special permission due to club membership, sell puzzles and women ('Risky Business' anyone? K, this is a joke...), rave about money and get chummy with sponsors for parties that put to shame any other club's parties. That kind of thing...wanna join?

Sounds like just the thing (apart from the suits instead of school uniforms bit) - I'd also consider splashing out to be class president if that's the sort of character you're looking at.

My guy is just a Kendo near-master. He will keep to himself mostly...unless pushed into action  . He cant help that he is pretty well off.

He will eventually join the Kendo club and *Dominate*.

Technically (according to the background you wrote) the guy practices kenjutsu (the martial art) rather than 'just' kendo (the sport) - although Melee covers both in this game anyway.

I'm actually going someone of non-Japanese extraction, if that's okay. Just living in Japan. I've got this image of "some foreign kid" pulling every chick in the city area with Mega-Charisma and Appearance.

I always planned to allow a single gaijin 'exchange' pupil in the game - since that too is a classic of the genre - but no more than one, & s/he will need to know Japanese & pay a certain amount of respect to the culture in order to fit into the game.

Does all quantum have to be bought in the first year or can we buy some in year two and three?

You can buy it whenever you want to (given ample game resources that is ::wink ).

One more thing...will we start in 2008 or more around 2006 to catch up with QZ in our 3rd year? (and allow interesting flashbacks at the same time...)

Or will we start where QZ is right now? In other words, will the years be "accelerated" at all? Just curious..

The game will run simultaneously with the other QZ games - although since the Japanese school year begins in April the game may commence in April 2009.

This is a game where we are still learning how to use our powers (which is why we are doing the NP the way that we are), are there going to be times where we could manifest a 'burst' of 'full power' (so to speak)?

Not as such, no. Characters can still attempt to 'power max' & the like, & the 'dramatic editing' style allocation of NP I'm allowing means that (with proper management by the player) a character should be able to easily 'manifest' new or increased power at appropriate times (which was kinda' the whole point of doing it that way).

could you, say, buy a 2nd level power for 3 pts in year 1

then come year 2

spend 2 nova points to add an extra? Kinda show the powers progression...

Yes, that'd be totally fine.

O.k., I'm a bit confused. Maybe you folks are adding differently than I am, but as far as I can tell, it's perfectly possible to build character with Q5, a level 3 power, and no abberations on 10NPs. I count 3 Taint, 6 NPs spent on Quantum, and 3 NP spent on the power, which still leaves a NP left over, and no abberations. Besides which, what makes y'all so sqeamish 'bout Taint and aberrations? Isn't the name of the game Aberrant? Seriously, you want major-league powers, I say you take your Taint and whatever aberrations that come with it as a fair price to pay.

Two levels of tainted Q, for a taint of +2.

One level of tainted Power, taint +1 (total = 3)

A Q of 5, taint +1 (total = 4).

But you do have a real point about the trade off between power and aberrations. ::shocked ::squid

Technically (according to the background you wrote) the guy practices kenjutsu (the martial art) rather than 'just' kendo (the sport) - although Melee covers both in this game anyway.

Yea, yea... ::tongue . Your just gettin' picky now ::biggrin

Re: Tanuki

Uhhh...will you have a Mask over your eyes for an aberration? ::sly What about the uhhh...natural endowments? ::laugh

Re: Taint and starting characters

Well...one of two things.

1. Get some Dorm

2. Mabey Prof will let you purchase 'minor effects' for the powers now, then use the NP to fully upgrade it later.

Ex. You wanna be a wind master! Right now, however, you can only throw sharp wind sycles at people. You spend the point for Q-bolt to show that (which will cost 6 NP for the 2 dots in Q-bolt). A while later after much practice he finally manages to bring out more of his power (He gets 10 more NP, and decides to add 9 of it to the 6 he used for Q-bolt, giving him enough for 3 dots in Elemental Anima (Wind).

Basically he loses the origonal power, and gains thoes NP back to buy a related power.

Whatcha say prof?

I always planned to allow a single gaijin 'exchange' pupil in the game - since that too is a classic of the genre - but no more than one, & s/he will need to know Japanese & pay a certain amount of respect to the culture in order to fit into the game.

Oh, absolutely. If no-one else wants the gaijin of course. This is my first proper game, I don't want to rub people the wrong way.

He will of course know Japanese. I want him to make every effort to fit in with his

Japanese comrades. He's not going to be anti-social - quite the opposite. He's going to be Mega-Social ::happy

*edit*

To all Japanese speakers who know him, his powers of invisibilty and chicanery shall cause him to be known as Genkaku - The Illusion. To any English speakers he meets, he is Phantasm.

If you have a clear idea of the rest of the character then your best bet might be to not worry about the eruption bit yet & play as a baseline for a while to see how things fall together.

That's always an option, of course. You said that the potential for eruption is higher among the students than other people in Japan and the rest of the world. They know this, right? So even if I start him off as a baseline his dreaming of one day leading Nippontai aren't completely farfetched?

Another thing: I assume the erupted nova PCs are the only - or at least most - of the novas in their year, right? So there's an instant connection between them, and we don't really need to build common ground among them. But how/where/when would a baseline character get to interact with the other PCs? This question is as much to the rest of you as to the ST, by the way. Ok, so they have a few classes together, but that's not much fun to roleplay. And either way, if half the PCs are presidents of one of the clubs they don't really have much in common to talk about anyway, do they?

How do we solve this?

Some of the PCs could be family. Imagine being the hot chick's brother... ::rolleyes Actually, that could be kinda fun... What do you say, Heritage? Or some of the PCs could be close friends regardless of interests and/or novahood, but this needs to be defined in advance.

Any other ideas?

I'm going to make my character a former bully of other kids. Enjoyed throwing his weight around and generally making other kids feel superior. Now that he's a Nova and he could easily kill a baseline kid (his powers revolve around electricity), he's trying to be a bit less sadistic and overbearing.

And I agree that having relationships beside "all novas together" would be cool - brings together more of a high school atmosphere with all the rivalries, jealousies and social standing that the setting brings about. I'm looking at this from more of a Buffy standpoint than an anime one - still lots of potential there.

Isaac Felaro is an initiative from the Australian government, a goodwill gesture to the Japanese government. Shortly after erupting, he was approached for en exchange program to be taught at the Osaka Academy for Gifted Children.

While he obviously stands out from his classmates, his congenial manner and Mega-Social abilities have kept most frictions to a minimum. He truly makes an effort to fit in with his new society, being already fluent in Japanese and learning about the Japanese culture, including the study of ninjutsu.

His powers, aside from his mega-socials, revolve around affecting the minds of others. His potentials include hypnotic powers, the creation of psychosomatic illusions and the ability to fade from sight.

Sound okay so far?

My idea is that my character started at the school at the lowest grade possible (I think 6th or 7th based on the Prof's earlier post). He's basically a ward of the state who showed strong Nova potential (erupted with quantum 5). He'll live in the dorms (unless the Prof just really doesn't want anyone to). He wasn't really anything special before his eruption, in fact his small size ensured that he was picked on often by bigger and older students. His eruption occured at the end of last year when he was being shoved into a locker (or something like that) and his body suddenly became metal (matter chameleon).

Haven't figured out what club for him to be a member, though probably something kinda 'geeky'.

Some of the PCs could be family. Imagine being the hot chick's brother... ::rolleyes Actually, that could be kinda fun... What do you say, Heritage?

I've got no problem with that! ::biggrin Actually, while she's still very attractive, Nabiki no longer has any Mega-Socials, since I sank everything into getting Shapeshift 1, her only nova power, which she's still learning to control, obviously. I think she erupted near the end of the last term while being caught pulling some stunt - she suddenly became another classmate she didn't like, and got her in trouble instead. Nabiki's the kind of girl you go to to get your cigarettes and dirty mangas, and now she's having a field day ::devil

Here are the background bits I've come up with:

1. Her best friend is Rumiko Takahashi, who's family she's living with - it's a large, fairly well-to-do family with a big house and lots of siblings. (Allies 1)

2. She has an older sister who's a senior and president of the girls' soccer club (apparently the Japanese call it that, so sorry all you Brits ::bigsmile). Fujiko is a well-endowed knockout, and Nabiki is tired of living in her shadow, as well as always being told what to do. Fujiko probably lives with the Takahashis as well. (Mentor 3)

3. Nabiki is also in the club, a respected junior player. (Backing 1)

4. Nabiki gets all her good gossip from Mr. Tendo, who runs the noodle stand near the school and overhears lots of juicy conversations, since students and faculty both eat there. The other minor contacts are probably fellow classmates. (Contact 1)

5. The Watabes are a well known family at the school, and are fairly well liked - Nabiki personally gets along better with her fellow students than with her teachers, who think she's always up to something, which is often true. (Influence 1)

6. The Watabes are a respectable middle class family, possibly from Tokyo- if you want to come up with what Father does for a living, go ahead. ::wink (Resources 2)

Her other backgrounds are basically personal, and perhaps not well known, and these are all subject to Prof's approval, of course ::halo

edit: Nabiki has no Mega-Atts, so if she never uses Shapeshift during a match, would she be allowed to play? ::confused

Kenshi (still need a last name) was a fairly average young Japanese student. He never talks about his eruption, but rumor has it that he was in the bathroom and one of his older sister’s friends walked in on him. Mortified, he transformed into air and “left” through the open window. Before he was on the lower end of average, eruption left him much stronger, smarter, and especially more dexterous. He applied to the "nova" high school, and was accepted. Ironically he still lives at home. His sister and her friends are knockouts (but not bought as allies ::tongue ).

Kenshi's family is effectively neither rich nor poor (Resources 2).

I was planning on him joining the baseball team, but if the rumor mill knows he is a nova (no cypher) then I'm not sure that will work.

Another thing: I assume the erupted nova PCs are the only - or at least most - of the novas in their year, right?

Doubtful - there will be NPC Nova kids as well, perhaps even (gasp! ::nervous ) rivals to the PCs!

So there's an instant connection between them, and we don't really need to build common ground among them. But how/where/when would a baseline character get to interact with the other PCs? This question is as much to the rest of you as to the ST, by the way. Ok, so they have a few classes together, but that's not much fun to roleplay. And either way, if half the PCs are presidents of one of the clubs they don't really have much in common to talk about anyway, do they?

The PCs won't just have 'a few classes together', they'll all be in the same class - which will be the basic connection between them all at the start of the game. In Japan the kids remain in one class throughout the day (apart from when lessons need specific facilities - like gym) & the teachers move from class to class. There are few electives - which means that these kids will be spending the greater part of their lives together. The class is the basis for the kids' social development, with specific clubs being a close second.

His eruption occured at the end of last year when he was being shoved into a locker (or something like that) and his body suddenly became metal (matter chameleon).

That reminds me of one of my first aberrant characters. He basically had the same eruption story: shoved inside a locker, gained matter chameleon, and tore his way out of the locker (and through the other students). I guess great minds think alike. ::biggrin

Hideko Fujiwara is defined by his family more than anything else. His father is rich, influential, and would sacrifice all of his children to maintain his reputation. Hideko has Resources 5 (partly family-based, partly from his own portfolio). He has significant Influence (2) on both teachers and students, though this is more from his family ties than from popularity. His closest friends are his older brother Tomoya, a senior in the science club, and Miho Yoshimori, a classmate and his best friend/girlfriend. Outside of school, he is usually accompanied by Hanasaki, his driver (Followers 1), and is often visits with Mr. Kanekura, the librarian at school (Contacts 1).

Hideko's father is controlling and manipulative, and wants to control who his children associate with and how they use their free time. He believes his wife failed in raising their children; when their oldest daughter committed suicide five years ago, Mr. Fujiwara blamed his wife for what happened. Mrs. Fujiwara died a short time later. Hideko has one sister, Anzu, who is a year younger than he is and also studies at Nippontai High.

Before Hideko's eruption, he had above-average intelligence (which was not good enough for his father), but struggled to keep up in school. Although a member of the Young Entrepreneurs club (at his father's insistence), he did not have time to hold any positions of responsibility. After losing a harsh fight with his father over his grades, and then going in to take a difficult test, Hideko erupted, gaining high enough intelligence to outthink his father in business, along with some low-level telepathic abilities.

I didn't intend to write his life story; I guess I got carried away. ::blush Hideko could associate with other Young Entrepreneurs, any friends or boyfriends his sister Anzu might have, anyone in the Science Club with his brother Tomoya, or anyone studying Aikido.

Well...since we are doing this now...

Oda Yoshi (everyone is remembering to reverse their names now, right? ::sly ) was born into an extremely wealthy family. His father is a high ranking VP in a large company and (unfortunatly) his mother is a more traditional woman with a large drinking problem. (Resources 5)

After a some trouble when he was younger he was sent to live with his grandfather in an Oda family shrine on Hokkaido. He stayed there for some years untill his grandfather died. His grandfathers best friend (who is an authority on Kenjutsu and Judo) still does what he can to watch over and continue Yoshi's training in Kenjutsu. Its difficult for them connect base most times however, considering the distance between and the type of knowledge he has to share. (Mentor 2)

After he was accepted into the school, his parents rented him an apartment off campus and aquired a live in servant for him. Though she is rather young, she is very attentive to his needs. (Follower - 1)

The PCs won't just have 'a few classes together', they'll all be in the same class - which will be the basic connection between them all at the start of the game. In Japan the kids remain in one class throughout the day (apart from when lessons need specific facilities - like gym) & the teachers move from class to class. There are few electives - which means that these kids will be spending the greater part of their lives together. The class is the basis for the kids' social development, with specific clubs being a close second.

Dont forget the competitions! Things like Field Day, festivals and other competions are usually done between classes as well.

OK, I'm back. I got a last name from Japan's Prime Minister. ::cool

Koizumi Kenshi was a fairly average young Japanese student. He never talks about his eruption, but rumor has it that he was in the bathroom and one of his older sister’s friends walked in on him. Mortified, he transformed into air and “left” through the open window. Before he was on the lower end of average, eruption left him much stronger, smarter, and dexterous (we’ll see if I ever get enough points to make those superhuman). He applied to the "nova" high school, and was accepted. He still lives at home. His sister and her friends are knockouts (but not allies ::tongue ).

Kenshi's family is effectively neither rich nor poor (Resources 2)

Rumor mill says Kenshi is a nova which has helped his popularity among the students (Influence 1)

He’s a member of the baseball team (Backing 0, Dorm 1+)

We should assume his powers don’t leave him naked (Attune 1+) ::tongue.

So what is the deal with that? Inherited names should be the first name, not the last name?

In Japan the family name is placed before the first name: i.e. Smith John, rather than John Smith. However, despite the fact that quite a few people like to point this out, it is also the commonly accepted practice to 'Westernise' the order of the names when talking in English - so if we're conducting the game in English (& my Japanese is a little 'rusty' to say the least ::wink ) then there's nothing wrong with writing names in the Western style: given name, family name.

In practice most characters will address each other by either family or given name only anyway, with an appropriate suffix when needed: e.g. if 'John Smith' was a teacher at the school he'd be refered to as Smith-sensei by the kids.

I've started to look over the characters I've been sent so far, but here are some generic comments:

A) please read & note the information I've already written in this thread (such as 'no Merits & Flaws').

B) please don't send sheets in 'fancy' formats - use normal numbers, not WW-style 'dots' - I have enough work as it is without having to de-cipher character's stats!

C) try to write backgrounds & similar large amounts of text with an eye to my having to read them - this includes splitting things into managable paragraphs & the like.

D) don't forget things like Qualities for Attibutes at 4 or 5; on the flip side, things like the character's Soak or movement ratings aren't really needed (since they are derived values, rather than something the player needs to make a choice about).

E) remember to include a list of how Nova Points & Bonus Points were spent, & which (if any) Traits were purchased Tainted. A list after the character's stats is better than imbedding the values in with the rest of the sheet.

If in doubt, use a format similar to this:

Strength [bulging Biceps] 4

Brawl 2

Might 1

Dexterity 3

Athletics 2

... etc.

Hiyugo Nishi attended an inner-city school in Osaka prior to his eruption - his father was an engineer working on maglev systems similar to the famous "bullet train", while mother stayed home and looked after their home.

His father had hoped that his son would be much more studious, but this was not Hiyugo's fate. Instead he was more inclined towards sports. Although he was a member of the rugby club, almost any physical activity would do - including pounding the occasional nerd when he thought no-one was looking.

His father was extremely disappointed, so Hiyugo tried to be the son his father wanted and study his father's field - however, fate intervened once again. The heightened emotions brought about his eruption in a fierce storm of electricity which ruined their home.

The government was quite willing to pay for the damages in return for inducting Hiyugo into their program nearby. Since his enrolment, he has tried to apply himself, and if he can't make his father proud by joining Nippontai, then it really is a lost cause...

His parents give him a pretty generous allowance, which is usually spent on various items of sports memorabilia and tickets. (Resources 2)

Hiyugo is also a customer of Mr. Tendo - he only started hanging out there as he has something of a crush on Nabiki Watabe, but Mr. Tendo has some pretty interesting stories to tell in between bowls of noodles... (Contacts 1)

--

There we go - all other backgrounds are personal and not particularly interesting to anyone save ProfPotts, I guess. Heritage, hope you don't think I'm taking liberties by incorporating your character into my background a little. ::closedeyes

Here is my submitted PC - Kaede 'Onkei' Nakamura

History:

Kaede Nakamura grew up in one of the poorest parts of Osaka, her parents Hiroshi and Keiko working as a janitor and cleaner respectively in one of Osaka’s many government buildings. She was a pretty child, graceful and bright, so her mother taught her art, etiquette and some performance skills so that she might have the chance to train as a geisha once she had finished school. Unfortunately for Kaede, there were dozens of older girls who were prettier, smarter and more graceful than her who caught the attention of the geisha’s guild. The realisation that nothing short of a miracle would make her a geisha caused her to become depressed when she was fifteen, and the depression got so bad that she tried to kill herself by overdosing on sleeping pills.

She woke up in bed the next morning with a severe headache and a great deal of disappointment. Resigned to living for today, Kaede got up and dressed in her school uniform before heading into the kitchen for breakfast. Her father Hiroshi was actually eating dinner as he had worked a night shift and Keiko was getting ready for the day shift. When Kaede entered the room, both openly stared at her, as if they’d never seen her before. At her hesitant question as to what was wrong, Keiko actually cried and Hiroshi rose and embraced his daughter. Her despair and suicide attempt had caused her to erupt.

Her parents took her to their superiors, who were delighted at the opportunity to recruit yet another nova. Kaede was immediately enrolled at the Osaka Academy for Gifted Children and is now attempting to deal with the fact that she is one of the ‘special ones’. She has taken the nova name of Onkei, a word that means both grace and blessing, to symbolise what she has become and her good fortune in becoming it. She has learnt to dorm to the point where she can take another ‘form’ due to the fact that she is intensely uncomfortable with her status at the moment.

Personality

Kaede is a young woman who is still somewhat confused at what her eruption means and how it will affect her. She is gentle in nature, preferring to yield rather than cause conflict, and can often be found doing her best to help others. Her biggest fault is her low self-esteem and tendency to criticise herself.

Appearance:

Kaede is small and deceptively fragile, her flawless skin concealing a wiry musculature. Her straight black hair is worn about shoulder-length while her dark eyes are deep and fathomless, often touched with pensiveness or sorrow. When out of school uniform, she wears old-fashioned and outdated garments, not having the personal funds to buy the latest outfits.

When dormed, she seems less vibrant but no less attractive, her hair and eyes tending more to dark brown than black.

Powers:

Kaede is a stealth nova. She is perfect by baseline standards in all of her physical, mental and social capabilities.

What do you think?

In practice most characters will address each other by either family or given name only anyway, with an appropriate suffix when needed: e.g. if 'John Smith' was a teacher at the school he'd be refered to as Smith-sensei by the kids.

I just wanted to expand this slightly, and link it back to something I said earlier.

Unless you are family or good friends then you will call a person by their family name, and you will use a formal title with them as well (-sama, -san, -chan).

For example...normal classmates will call eachother by their family name -san.

If there is a group of friends that hang out daily they would eventually switch to calling each other by their first names.

If two of them got particularly close (like close siblings) then then the older or senior could call the other by the -chan title. This is mostly used by siblings, or girls though (mostly). Its defenatly not something a 'tough guy' wants to be called ::sly .

If in dought what to use -san. You will either be right or corrected when they tell you who they are. ("I am your principal." "Sorry Principal-sama")

Almost the entire japanese culture revolves around politeness.

Re: Titles of respect:

So what would you call your parents?

I have a suggestion. From what I've seen, a bunch of us are in different martial arts clubs - judo, jujitsu, aikido, and what not. Maybe we could come to a common ground of some sort, since for roleplaying purposes it would make much more sense for there to be as few clubs as possible between us all? My character concept requires that he be in a martial arts club, and maybe have some backing in it, but it's all the same to me which one it is.

From what I've seen, a bunch of us are in different martial arts clubs - judo, jujitsu, aikido, and what not. Maybe we could come to a common ground of some sort, since for roleplaying purposes it would make much more sense for there to be as few clubs as possible between us all? My character concept requires that he be in a martial arts club, and maybe have some backing in it, but it's all the same to me which one it is.

That's a point. Actually that's a really good point.

I could switch from Baseball to pretty near any physical club. Rather than taking a poll and such, maybe we should just post what club we are in, how attached we are to it, and our rank.

Name: Alex Green:

Character: Kenshi Koizumi (Air Spirit)

Club: Baseball (not very set on it):

Backing: Not the club leader (Backing=0 ::tongue )

Archived