Aberrant: Quantum Zero - Nippontai High OOC

ProfPotts

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By the way: Does anybody know which of the Japanese martial arts has the greatest focus on self-discipline and mind-over-matter teachings?

Judo is probably what you want. The way of the soft hand. Karate (in its myriad of forms) would be next in line. Jujutsu would *not* be what you are looking for, its more of a dirty fighting type of style.

You can't join more than one?

The thing is that you are supposed to devote yourself to that club. If you are a member of two, you could have conflicts. You could exaust yourself.

Im not sure if you have been, but its like being in marching band in high school, or Drill team in ROTC. You devote a lot of time and effort to the subject. For some clubs (like Anime club) it wouldent be so bad. Watch a few movies and your good to go. You could do more though, make fan subs, make fan dubs...get more anime to watch...research new directors...im sure there is more.

Bottom line on that is that the club is a devotion of sorts. Something to give a sence of unity to a person.

I go offline for a few days, and by the time I get back a great new game is suggested and loaded with people. It happened with the WJ expansion teams, and it happened again here. My luck can't be that bad, can it? ::shocked

Okay, rant is over. Do you still have room for another player, Prof? I have an idea for a character, a rich kid who's at school to avoid his family. Is it all right if he starts the chronicle as a baseline and erupts later (though still fairly early in the story)?

I've got a 'stealth' nova in mind by name of Onkei, which is a Japanese word that means both grace and blessing. No Mega-Attributes, merely maxxed Attributes and a point in Abilities and Backgrounds, with Dormancy 5. Has anyone taken the poor, pretty girl overwhelmed by her eruption route yet?

No - although any characters without Dormancy still look 'like Novas' in any case: people who see them do well at sports will start to gossip & suspect that they could be Novas (obviously 'cheating' by using their powers) - a dishonour that no self-respecting student should be able suffer!

Well, what if my character is openly a Nova with Mega-Physicals, but 'dorms down for every match? Would this be frowned upon?

I've got a 'stealth' nova in mind by name of Onkei, which is a Japanese word that means both grace and blessing. No Mega-Attributes, merely maxxed Attributes and a point in Abilities and Backgrounds, with Dormancy 5.

OK, I need to rephrase what I said. ::blush

I'm not a "stealth" nova, I'm a "stealthy" nova. ::ninja

I've got a pretty clear picture of what kind of personality and background I want to play, but I'm not so sure power-wise. I'm thinking about either a telepath-type or a weather manipulation/elemental anima type. Any arguments for or against any of them?

As of right now, I call dibbs on the 'Samuri' consept. I have a great idea for a history on him. And...uhhh...watch out Knave, your going to have a challenge for your name in QZ-Elites pretty soon, you gaijin.

Mmmm... I'd be a lot more worried if you could spell it, mate ::wink I'd also love to see you call Guy a gaijin to his face... "Aren't you the cutest little tyke" - Noogies! ::tongue

If there are still places available - I'd like to have a go at playing something like Vampire Hunter D.

I'm thinking about either a telepath-type or a weather manipulation/elemental anima type. Any arguments for or against any of them?

Only that I want to play a telepath if there's room for me. ::wink

It would be nice to have someone to practice with.

We shall see...if it ever gets out he is only half-japanese and was in the British military...a good portion of your fan base is going to have a change of heart.

That's quite possible and frankly I fully expect that to come out sooner or later. Then again, I wonder if the Japanese were rooting for the Bride or the Crazy 88 in Kill Bill ::tongue

Guy is fun because he is such a mishmash character. Wouldn't want him any other way! ::biggrin

That's quite possible and frankly I fully expect that to come out sooner or later. Then again, I wonder if the Japanese were rooting for the Bride or the Crazy 88 in Kill Bill ::tongue

Guy is fun because he is such a mishmash character. Wouldn't want him any other way! ::biggrin

Why the Crazy 88 of course!

But seriously...I think me char will be a fan of Guy's. ::laugh

Only that I want to play a telepath if there's room for me. ::wink

It would be nice to have someone to practice with.

True. Usually we try to get a good variety of powers and stuff, but having similar abilities can bring out other aspects of the characters more clearly... could be cool. I'm going for a high middle class character, with a family who expects a lot from him and who is very aware of his own place and duties in the family, school and country. Definitely a Paragon by nature, and a wannabe hero and nippontai member.

What's your angle, Damanor?

I lose internet for a few days, and there's a new game. Go figure. I'd like to play as well, if there's room. I was thinking of playing a character with a few mega-attribs and enhancements. Maybe someone who's half-white or something. Anyhow, sounds like a fun game. ::thumbsup

My vampire hunter D concept is definitely the child of a High Taint Nova. Accelerated growth to puberty (but no powers apart from mega intelligent learning) after which point growth stabilises. It would be cool if he is rumoured to be the product of a Teragen rape that caused the Japanese mother to erupt. The child became a nova in embryo becoming self aware in the womb. Accelerated growth means the birth is difficult, but the child remembers that his mother survives... but she leaves - leaving scars of abandonment - and of course the fact that the father is gaijin...

The lowest common denominator and a natural rebel at school. The ugly duckling. 'Uncle' Tatsuro comes to the school whenever he get into trouble and sorts things out.

The child remembers one other thing from birth - he has a twin who hates him.

The child has no deformeties apart from a fractured personality that can manifest by growing eyes and a mouth on any body part (yes - i realise that could be gross) or on anything he attunes. This 'rogue' personality has a lot of experience that apparently comes from his 'father'. This tends to manifest as wisdom rather than knowledge. Strangely enough The Rogue seems rational and reasonable, but also exceedingly practical to the point of being sociopathic. "Hiro has taken your lunch money - either tell on him, get some friends to support you against him, or trip him on the stairs that he has to take everyday. Once he is down... kick him more.

::biggrin

Yes... I think I could have fun with this. ::biggrin

K, I was thinking of playing a rich jock but it appears jocks are a dime a dozen at Nippontai High.. ::wink

So how about I play the president or VP of the Young Entrepreneurs club...the tie-wearing wannabes? Would such a club exist? Wear suits instead of school uniform by special permission due to club membership, sell puzzles and women ('Risky Business' anyone? K, this is a joke...), rave about money and get chummy with sponsors for parties that put to shame any other club's parties. That kind of thing...wanna join?

The whole “Jock concept” is very cheap at a high school level, virtually all novas ARE jocks. Many/most of us will take enhanced physical attributes just to use our powers and/or for combat, but a “5” is Olympic human. Add to that one dot of athletics, and you look pretty impressive in high school. ::shrug::

Point-cost break downs play a roll in this as well. We get our nova points in 3 groups of 10. This implies many of the more impressive powers won’t show up in the first batch because of Quantum Minimums and/or just expensiveness of powers.

Personally I’m not planning to go “high end” jock myself.

I was more concerned about the Young Entrepreneurs club question than about the number of athletes...would such a club fit the concept?

Usually if a club dosent exist when you get there you can make it. You may have to get a teacher to say they are sponsoring it...but your rich...slip someone a bill and im sure they would vouch for ya ::devilangel

For such a high profile club...I would assume the school would have one. Mabey my character should join...I have a fair resources myself...

Young Entrepreneurs...I don't know about that. My character is wealthy enough, but he's more likely to see members of that club as either wannabes or competition. He does have a lot to learn, though, so maybe.

Is anybody planning on creating a normal, ordinary superpowered student, or are they all either jocks, geniuses, or multimillionaires? ::crazy

Young Entrepreneurs...I don't know about that. My character is wealthy enough, but he's more likely to see members of that club as either wannabes or competition. He does have a lot to learn, though, so maybe.

Well, the competition and wannabe image is kind of the point. We need to create the social dynamics of the high school and if everyone loves each other, its gonna be boring. Not everyone wealthy should join. I wasn't really asking people to join, I was asking if such a club would fit in the game (manga-esque high school), or should I find something more appropriate like the beach volleyball team or something. Or that weird thai volleyball game where you're only allowed to use your feet...and they actually manage to spike the ball! ::blink

Still, since so many people considered joining the club, I guess it does fit.

Mine's relatively normal as far as students go, he's not a jock, and his fameily's pretty poor. I don't know if there's room for him, but if there is, there'll be at least one PC who's not rich, brilliant, or the master of anything. 

I bet he'll be mysterious... ::tongue ::wink

Personally, I'm taking the perfect opportunity to play Mega-Socials.

I'm actually going someone of non-Japanese extraction, if that's okay. Just living in Japan. I've got this image of "some foreign kid" pulling every chick in the city area with Mega-Charisma and Appearance.

What?

I bet he'll be mysterious...

I prefer the term 'sneaky.' He's not really old enough to be truly mysterious yet. ::wink ::tongue

And Shopping Mal, remember that thing about no overt displays of nova powers. That sort of use of mega-socials would fit, I would think.

I'm actually going someone of non-Japanese extraction, if that's okay. Just living in Japan. I've got this image of "some foreign kid" pulling every chick in the city area with Mega-Charisma and Appearance.

I dont think that would work so well. The Nippontai are just that Nipponjin (or japanese). It would be a huge blow to their image to have a gaijin in it, people would not respond well. Even with Mega-socs (unless you can swing getting everyone in Japan to watch TV and you have the Almost Live enhancement ::sly ) you wont be able to swing peoples opinion of that at large.

Its kinda like being at a high school that has a firce competition with an intense rivalry with a school close by (with all the pranks and such that goes with it). Then having a member of their rival's football team switch schools for no apparent reason and want to join that schools football team. It would not bode well for him, especially if he was a good player for the other team ('I remember you, you sacked me before I could catch the ball!').

Agreed. Japan is racially not very diverse, and Westerners really stand out.

Ignoring that, I think you can use Mega-Socials openly. Well, if you don't have aberrations you can (although that may be "if you don't have any taint").

That is one of the advantages of Mega-Socials, they can be used openly on baselines without breaking the law (as opposed to the Mega-Physicals).

He would still run into problems with people assuming he was "cheating" if he was playing sports.

A character creation question...

Does all quantum have to be bought in the first year or can we buy some in year two and three?

i.e. Lets pretend I want to create a bodymorpher than changes into a being of light. (minimum quantum 3)

So I buy 3 quantum in the first year + bodymorph

Year 2

I'd like to improve bodymorph...

Year 3

I'd like to buy elemental mastery - light (min. 5 quantum)

I buy 2 pts quantum + elemental mastery.

Is this ok?

One more thing...will we start in 2008 or more around 2006 to catch up with QZ in our 3rd year? (and allow interesting flashbacks at the same time...)

Or will we start where QZ is right now? In other words, will the years be "accelerated" at all? Just curious..

A question that I just thought of...

This is a game where we are still learning how to use our powers (which is why we are doing the NP the way that we are), are there going to be times where we could manifest a 'burst' of 'full power' (so to speak)?

For example, 'zeke's character seems to be a master of light. Some guy kidnaps him and his friends and threatens to shoot them with a laser. Considering that he plans to buy light mastery and Lasers are pretty much light, could he use the 'Reduse' trick from the Light Mastery power to save his friends (at a 6qp cost and an increased difficulty of course)

RE: Q

I assume you can buy more Q as time goes on, just like with experience. Considering the point costs that's almost a neccesity.

RE: Post 10 nova points (i.e. the 2nd & 3rd batch).

It's been implied that we don't have to specify what the next batches of points will be spent for right now. So while I have several ideas, or paths if you wish, but I don't know the specifics. It's even been said we don't need to specify a theme with our first 10.

RE: Year.

It's been implied that chick Samuria was dealing with is going to our school now, and that she is already a popular novox singer... although Prof could still do that and just make it eariler in her cureer I guess.

Archived