Trinity Universe: Trinity Exploration Force

ProfPotts

Prologue:

Officer's lounge - Leviathan-class jump ship TEF Infinity:

The view is an impressive starfield - billions of dots of light in the dark of space. It's the first thing everyone notices - it's a natural reaction to such a breathtaking scene. Some few try to hide their awe, but most take the time to revel, just for a moment, in an image that will, no doubt, stay with them for the rest of their lives...

... But no awe can last forever, eventually the visitor is drawn to observe the rest of the wide, open room - forcing themselves to pull their gaze away from the large bio-glass windows that form the ceiling & outer wall of the lounge, & provide the incredible view.

Some have compared the lounge to an airport departure suite of the late twentieth century... others are more generous in their comparisons, but some of the features do fit. Of open plan, the comfortable low chairs & couches are scattered in small groups around low tables. The decor is dark - blacks & dark greens - but somehow manages to avoid seeming depressing in any way. Here & there holo-displays provide much needed splashes of colour, & a few potted plants have been tastefully arranged along the walls, out of the way, as a concession to nature.

Officers of the Trinity Exploration Force occupy the room - some sit alone, studying mission profiles, or reading a good book in their time off. Others gather in groups - some hotly debating the latest works of xenology, others just sharing a meal or a drink. In one corner a small group has gathered around one of the cylindrical tables that supports a holo-display - the glowing imagery suspended a few centimetres above the shiney black surface of the display recreates the French countryside of the early twentieth century, whilst two archaic biplanes - one red, one green - jockey for position as they try to down each other in a classic dog-fight. The two TEF pilots controlling the simulated aircraft have concentration etched upon their faces - they, like all those who pass the rigourous TEF selection process, are considered the best humanity has to offer - niether pilot wishes to be proved the lesser of the two, so they throw their all into the battle - a determination & conviction that is said to exemplify the TEF as a whole. Still, the atmosphere is friendly & relaxed, even with officers taking sides & cheering on their selected champion - & both pilots share a laugh when a harmless simulated explosion ends the game.

Several of the officers take the opportunity to partake of the food & drink the lounge has to offer - the automated systems are more complex & have better stocks than those aboard the Scarab explorers - in which, by necessity, space is at a premium, & culinary delights are far from being a mission priority. At some point the 'kitchen agent' - the holographic representation of the automated cooking system's programming - has been re-configured into a stereotypically cheerful chef of some unidentifiable amalgam of European countries - his chef's whites, twirled black mustache, & grining portly visage combine with an accent of dubious authenticity to produce a humuorus, yet comfortably human, figure. The agent isn't standard, but even the brass haven't had the heart to reset his parameters. Most people call him 'Antonio'...

Relaxed, professional, the best humanity has to offer - with the added tinge of excitement that the forthcoming mission brings. Soon these few officers of the TEF are to take the human thirst for knowledge beyond any previous limits - to the stars, & beyond!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The door to the Lounge opens, and in walks a petite, average looking, 20something woman with medium length Raven black hair, large Green eyes and fair complection, holding a cup of Mint tea. She glances around the room, taking in eveything she sees. At the Holo table she notices that she doesn't know one of the pilots, so she heads over there and pulls a chair up backwards. "Hi, I'm Lt. Rhianna Logan, mind if I sit and watch?"

After the next battle is compleat, Rhianna asks "Do you two mind if I cut in ::bigsmile ?" She takes the seat opposite the 'Unknown Pilot' and flashes him a smile. "This is my first time at this game, and I'm not a very good pilot, so please be gentle with me ::sly ."

After getting severly trounced, and taking a little more small talk, Rhianna looks at her timepiece. Where is Marina?

Tossing a battered baseball from hand to hand, an olive-skinned, black-haired woman strides in walking a bit fast. Catching the spectacular view of the space beyond for a moment a fierce yearning makes her face glow as she stares mesmerized momentarily. Visibly awed she takes a moment to enjoy the beauty before turning to search the room. Her ice blue eyes scan quickly and competently before catching sight of Rhianna. A twitch of humor flashes over her face before it is quickly hidden. Shaking her head she walks quietly up behind her.

"Should have known you'd be attempting some shinenanigans, Rhianna. Have you started fleecing the poor souls yet?"

Standing at 5'8, the athletic young woman stands with legs slightly apart with her legs braced as if she expects a fight any second. Her long black hair is bound back tightly to hold back the riotous curls in a ponytail making her Italian features seem more severe. Negligently, she starts juggling the ball again. Her slim muscles slide comfortably under her uniform. Nodding politely to the pilots, she snatches the ball again from mid air and slides her hand forward almost as an afterthought.

"Ensign Marina Soto." She offers politely if a bit abruptly, her voice soft with the strains of Italy still whispering through her accent. Her plain mouth remains unsmiling though her eyes aren't unfriendly. "Any familiar faces, Rhi?"

Surprisingly, Marina pats Rhianna companionably on the shoulder then looks slightly startled at what she had just done staring at her hand. Blushing and muttering, "Figured you'd be in the know."

As others come and go engaging in their pursuit of relaxation an entirely different scene plays itself across the room. Sitting next to a hollodisplay, a young man of sikh decent sits intently watching the holo characters dance across the air in front, miniature men and women playing out a drama that few in humanity can now remember.

As the figures speak and move, so does the young man's lip's echo them and his hand traces notes upon his pad of Caesar, Brutus and Mark Anthony.

"Good countrymen, let me depart alone, And, for my sake, stay here with Antony: Do grace to Caesar's corpse, and grace his speech tending to Caesar's glory; which Mark Antony, By our permission, is allow'd to make. I do entreat you, not a man depart, Save I alone, till Antony have spoke."

The young man looks in awe at the words, while alien languages he had studies never had he found such beauty in his own. A solitary Anthony takes the podium and speaks to the crowd, and again the light pen moves over the pad only to pause as a pair of electronic chimes break from his pad, indicating that the study period is over.

Lazily the cadet informs the entertainment agent to pause the performance and quickly retrieves the data disc it is stored upon.

With weary eyes the young cadet looks around the lounge, stopping to gaze at the star field and gaze towards his home. So far away let the light that reaches him from there now left millenia before his birth. Staring away his sight shifts to the other holobooths and the spiraling dogfight contained within.

Curiously he turns to the officer standing beside him watching the conflict. "Excuse me Sir, what are those things?" he says, pointing to the two biplanes

At the view-port of the bioglas window, two men are quickly setting up an old fashion telescope, putting it together and calibrating it. The design looks ancient, certenly befor the abberrant war, and judging from the anxoius rantings of the two men building it, then suddenly one of them stops and looks up at the young cadet quoting shakespear and walks up to him.

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears:

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him:

The euill that men do, liues after them,

The good is oft enterred with their bones,

So let it be with Caesar. The Noble Brutus,

Hath told you Caesar was Ambitious:

If it were so, it was a greeuous Fault,

And greeuously hath Caesar answer'd it.

He then extends his hand. The shakespear fan was a short man, 5'7, sporting short black hair and deep brown eyes. He have a rather small but tough looking frame, like someone who have spent a lot of time outdoors or swim alot.

Robert Beckett to your service mate. So, where are you from? Luna here myself. Nice to know that at least one other person on this flight knows of the finer arts *light laughter*.

A young man dressed near-professionallly walks in through the sliding doors. He looks almost unaccustomed to being dressed in his "dress blues". He looks around the room, and frowns not noticing anyone he really knows. He slowly makes his way to get himself a drink, then takes a seat at an empty table and keeps an eye on everything thats going on around him.

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears:

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him:

The euill that men do, liues after them,

The good is oft enterred with their bones,

So let it be with Caesar. The Noble Brutus,

Hath told you Caesar was Ambitious:

If it were so, it was a greeuous Fault,

And greeuously hath Caesar answer'd it.

THe young cadet smiles at the officers attention, turning up to him with a slight grin on his dark face.

"Here, under leave of Brutus and the rest, For Brutus is an honourable man so are they all, all honorable men, Come I to speak in Caesar's funeral. He was my friend, faithful and just to me but Brutus says he was ambitious and Brutus is an honourable man."

He then extends his hand. TheĀ  shakespear fan was a short man, 5'7, sporting short black hair and deep brown eyes. He have a rather small but tough looking frame, like someone who have spent a lot of time outdoors or swim alot.

Robert Beckett to your service mate. So, where are you from? Luna here myself. Nice to know that at least one other person on this flight knows of the finer arts *light laughter*.

Taking the hand Jamal shakes it firmly, his own stick thin physique frightfully thin against the tanned features of the officer

"Cadet Singh Sir.." he says "Assigned to the Columbus, Sir!" the cadet snapps to attention as his hand is released, slipping the datapad under his arm. Despite signs of recent exercise the officer-in-training still has trouble fitting his uniform. While all the right parts are in the right place, his thin frame and short height combined with his tightly tied red Turban make him look more like a walking match than a officer in the TEF.

"Sir, I was raised on Qinshui Sir!" he says, waiting for the inevitable string of questions to flow forth, having answered them so many times before amoungst the other cadets in his "team" at the academy.

Without moving from his stance Jamal asks "Permission to speak freely sir?"

Standing in front of the massive window, staring out at the infinite expanse of space, is a case study in calm and collected strength. His hands held sternly behind his back holding a datapad, the man seems frozen in the parade rest of one who has spent his life in military service.

"Hi, I'm Lt. Rhianna Logan, mind if I sit and watch?"

Hearing LT Logan's voice, a small smile forms on the otherwise dispassionate face, seemingly pulled out of some personal revelry.

Surprisingly, Marina pats Rhianna companionably on the shoulder then looks slightly startled at what she had just done staring at her hand. Blushing and muttering, "Figured you'd be in the know."

CAPT O'Malley slowly marches (as that's really the best term that could be used for it) to the small gathering of young officers. Dressed in full dress uniform, the 6 foot tall broad-shouldered captain could best be described as a powerful presence. While the other officers attempt to identify the vast array of medals on his uniform, Bryan lays a soft hand on LT Logan's shoulder, "Good to see you Rhianna, how was your shore leave?" He then takes a look at Marina then steals a glance at his datapad, "Ensign Soto? (he extends his hand) I'm CAPT O'Malley, looks like we'll be working together..."

Sitting quietly, staring out the window at the vastness of space, the young man's thoughts are interrupted by the Captain's voice. Unfolding himself from the low chair he'd been snugged in, the tall Ensign seemed to grow as he stood to his full height. A few inches taller than the Captain, broad shoulders and hard muscles made him stand out even when surrounded by fellow security personnel.

Moving with an easy grace much more suited to wilderness than starships, Alexander Suvorov admittedly had some difficulty fitting in. Quiet and reserved, he still struggled to understand the vast technology that others found so simple. It wasn't that it was hard, necessarily, just...different. And so much of it! Back home, the most complicated device in the village was a holo station to receive news and entertainment broadcasts. Now, he was on a vessel contructed almost entirely of biotech; automated doors and food dispensers, electronic panels and keypads everywhere. The complexity of the nagivation systems he didn't even want to think about. Astrophysics always gave him a headache.

Not really sure where to go, but unwilling to leave the companionship of the room, Alexander softly made his way over to the ancient telescope. Careful not to touch it, he smiled as he studied it. This, at least, was something he was familiar with.

Snapping to attention, Ensign Soto's body straightens imperceptably from her previous stance as she politely takes the preferred hand. "Yes, sir, Captain. It is an honor to be serving with some familiar faces. I only hope I prove a useful resource to the ship." ::blush

Noting the medals she smiles slightly. "I don't believe there is a superior teacher in the whole force to compete, sir."

Her face blazes with determination and yearning as her eyes flicker briefly towards the stars beyond. Quietly, she breaths a sigh of relief. "It feels right."

"Good to see you Rhianna, how was your shore leave?"
Rhianna gets up from her chair quickly and gracefuly, standing at attention. She gives Capt. O'Malley a salute (but with a smile in her eyes ::smile )and replies "Yes, Captain, I did! Thank you. That club was as great as you said it would be." And then at ease, "and Lt. Dawson and Esn. Yoto both wanted me to mention how much they appreciated and enjoyed serving with you, Sir!" The smile spreading from her eyes to the rest of her face
."Yes, sir, Captain. It is an honor to be serving with some familiar faces. I only hope I prove a useful resource to the ship."

Noting the medals she smiles slightly. "I don't believe there is a superior teacher in the whole force to compete, sir."

"Captian, Ensign Soto and I served a tour on the Roger Young together. She's one of the best shots I have ever seen. ::wink . In fact just before I joined the Columbus, we spent a few days setting the 'Legion Boys' up and knocking them down a few pegs. ::devilangel " She turns to look at Marina, grinning from ear to ear!

[...]In fact just before I joined the Columbus, we spent a few days setting the 'Legion Boys' up and knocking them down a few pegs." She turns to look at Marina, grinning from ear to ear!

At this comment another of the female officers around the dogfight holosim turns to smile sideways at the speakers, seemingly enjoying this joke on the Legion's expence. Her long, sun-bleached blonde hair frames a tanned face with sparkling blue-green eyes that give the impression of a friendly, playful and carefree personality

She's dressed in uniform like everybody else, but wears it as relaxed as regulations allow ::wink . On her half open jacket she wears the insignia of an Ensign TEF pilot, as well as the psychokinetic emblem, and her nametag says 'Brooks', assigned to the Columbus.

Deadpan, "Why, Lt. Logan, I have NO idea what you could mean. I've never in my life purposefully made a highly trained individual look foolish. I would have no clue how to out wit and out shoot such fine upstanding jug.... Ahem." ::rolleyes

"Thought we weren't going to mention that incident again, B." Stressing the initial quietly, Marina raises an eyebrow at Rhianna. Humor splits her face into a proud grin as she gives up the battle and starts laughing. "Shoulda seen the big lug. He assumed that since he had half a foot on me, he was a better shot. I learned from the best. No way was he going to show up a Soto." ::blush "Not that it wasn't hilarious to see him fawning over Rhi, thinking he'd 'impress' her." ::laugh

A dark-haired, dashing-looking fellow enters the room, and is recognizable from his holo in the crew profile (or from his nametag) as Liutenant Jason Adair. He flashes a football-team-captain grin around the room as he saunters over to the table where the uncomfortable-looking young man [bahamut's character] is sitting and nursing a drink, pausing only to give the simulation's 'pilots' a look of interest with just a dash of amused disdain. He is good-looking, and manages to make his uniform look almost casual. He gives the man at the table a familiar and friendly grin as he pulls out his chair and sits.

"Eddie, how are you doing? It's been a while."

He gives his friend's drink a half-serious longing glance.

"Man, some things about biokinesis I wish I could turn off more easily.. I should really just push my psi until it's too tired to look out for me, then get wasted. Pretty soon I'm gonna have to fly, and then I'll need all the energy I can get."

His expression indicates that he would indeed like to do that, but shadows of responsibility behind his tired and feral grin hint that he probably won't. Instead, he sits back and watches the 'dogfight'.

"Eddie, how are you doing? It's been a while."

The engineer nods. "Uh...Doin' gud. How boutchaself?" he says in a southern drawl.

"Man, some things about biokinesis I wish I could turn off more easily.. I should really just push my psi until it's too tired to look out for me, then get wasted. Pretty soon I'm gonna have to fly, and then I'll need all the energy I can get."

He grins. "That'd take too loung. 'Sides...Im wurkin on a new type a' stuff that'd blow yer socks off. I just haveta get a few more parts fer the still...and some stuff ta use...I dunno. You think I should use fruit this taime 'round? Pure grain is gettin' ol'...."

He looks over at the pilots. "Mayoneysse bein' loud...Ah well. Im sure we been roudy ar fair share as well. So...howy'all been?"

Glancing around as he steps into the officers lounge, the newest entrant seems to be on his full guard. Drawn in by at first the dogfight, the dark-haired man starts to gravitate towards the holo game. Then noticing the number of people around waiting it seemed to play, his green eyes glance out to the stars before finding a seat and just staring off into the sky.

Muttering quietly to himself, obviously to boost his own confidence, "Britt.. what drove you to come out into the middle of nowhere and be around dozens of people day in and out, if you can't even stand around them while they're playing a game.."

Sighing he glances back at the people enjoying themselves, but ultimately stays where he is looking back at the stars.

Then noticing the number of people around waiting it seemed to play, his green eyes glance out to the stars before finding a seat and just staring off into the sky.

"'scuse me, boys and girls...", the young blonde says to the pilot crowd before she walks towards the newcomer's table.

Sighing he glances back at the people enjoying themselves, but ultimately stays where he is looking back at the stars.

"Lt Hawke...?" a soft voice interrupts his daydreaming.

As he turns to face her the young woman is already taking a seat across the table from him.

"Ensign Brooks, sir. I believe we'll be working together. I'm looking forward to it..." ::wink

The young blonde speaks english with an unmistakable australian accent, and her honest smile and pleasant voice is definitely of the infectious kind. Turning to the field of stars she throws him one of those smiles and adds

"I can't wait to get out there again... Have you been on a lot of these missions, sir?"

"Lt Hawke...?" a soft voice interrupts his daydreaming.

Turning his head slightly to glance over at the speaker, Britt says, "You found me,"

As he turns to face her the young woman is already taking a seat across the table from him.

"Ensign Brooks, sir. I believe we'll be working together. I'm looking forward to it..." ::wink

Turning to face fully towards her, he replies

"It's a pleasure to meet you then, Ensign. I'm looking forward to working with you as well. I haven't met a pilot yet that I couldn't learn at least one thing from,"

The young blonde speaks english with an unmistakable australian accent, and her honest smile and pleasant voice is definitely of the infectious kind. Turning to the field of stars she throws him one of those smiles and adds

"I can't wait to get out there again... Have you been on a lot of these missions, sir?"

"I've gotten some experience at it, nothing I would want to write home about really. And please, unless I'm with another officer it's just Britt. Sir, makes me want to look around for someone a bit older," says the young officer with a smile.

"Piloting is the best thing I've ever found to clear the mind, so I always look forward to heading back out again. I see you took some advanced training, so how long have you been in the field? "

Noticing the crowd, Marina quietly moves away to the telescope. Standing quietly to the side she admires the beauty of the telescope before turning to once again view the wonders beyond.

"It's so beautiful. Takes your breath away." She murmurs quietly. A soft smile lights her face as she looks to the man standing beside her. "Is it yours?" she nods to the telescope. "I haven't seen one since I was a kid."

"Marina, by the way. If you cared to know." Flushing she puts out a hand to shake. ::blush

(haha wrong person.. had to fix it! ::blush )

"Uh...Doin' gud. How boutchaself?"

"About the same. Had a good break. So psyched about getting to fly again, though.."

He grins. "That'd take too loung. 'Sides...Im wurkin on a new type a' stuff that'd blow yer socks off. I just haveta get a few more parts fer the still...and some stuff ta use...I dunno. You think I should use fruit this taime 'round? Pure grain is gettin' ol'...."

Jason grins back.

"Can't say I've ever been much of a connoiseur. I was pretty much a pure beer man before getting lit up, and since then my psionic metabolism's been a sneakier guardian than my folks ever were.."

He looks over at the pilots. "Mayoneysse bein' loud...Ah well. Im sure we been roudy ar fair share as well. So...howy'all been?"

"Heh, between us we have.. Anyway. Want to see if there's a pool table here, or call next game on the pilot sim, or something?"

A fair haired man with pale blue eyes steps into the lounge. His TEF uniform is perfectly adjusted to his imposing size, totally devoid of any creases, blotches or stains. The man was either wearing a new uniform or paid freakish attention to detail. Shaped like a rugby player with his broad shoulders, powerful jaw and hawkish nose, he still had a gentle gaze about him which revealed an unspoken compassion and intelligence. Lt. Cmdr. Meyers had a datapad in his hand and looked quickly about the room. Spotting the captain, he walks up to him and sits down at the table, briefing the captain on his survey of the ship and equipment.

"Heh, between us we have.. Anyway. Want to see if there's a pool table here, or call next game on the pilot sim, or something?"

"Sure. Sounds better 'n sitten here 'n talkin' 'bout gettin' liqu'rd up. How 'bout pool? Y' always frag me with out a probl'm when we pilot...S' not as much fun if I dont have a chanse ta win. Might c'nsider it if ya gimme a few minutes to ev'n th' odds." He smiles devilishly as he pulls out a screwdriver that looks like it never leaves his side.

"Im dern near head engineer, I think I c'd get away with evenin' it up now."

"Sure. Sounds better 'n sitten here 'n talkin' 'bout gettin' liqu'rd up. How 'bout pool? Y' always frag me with out a probl'm when we pilot...S' not as much fun if I dont have a chanse ta win. Might c'nsider it if ya gimme a few minutes to ev'n th' odds." He smiles devilishly as he pulls out a screwdriver that looks like it never leaves his side.

"Im dern near head engineer, I think I c'd get away with evenin' it up now."

Jason laughs.

"No-ho! I'll take my chances with pool. This'll be the ultimate battle between the two schools of pool thought since the game's creation: geometry versus guts."

Jason gets up and scans the lounge again.

"Is it yours?" she nods to the telescope. "I haven't seen one since I was a kid."

"Marina, by the way. If you cared to know." Flushing she puts out a hand to shake.

A slow smile crosses his face as he turns to look down at her. "Nyet. It is not mine, but it is a wonderful instrument." A flicker of his eyes shows a slight surprise at her extended hand, then he extends his own to grasp hers. Dwarfing it, Marina can feel the hardened calluses as he squeezes gently. Gentle or not, the power behind that grip is apparent. "I am Alexander Suvorov."

No wimp, her handshake is strong though she returns the pressure gently as well. Marina smiles a little more. "Science was never my forte, but the stars have fascinated me since I was a child. Of course, that would be why I am standing here now. Well, that and a love for explosions."

Blinking for a second she looks horrified. "Please, please don't tell the captain I said that. I only.. its just.. security is so.. necessary." Finishing lamely, she starts rolling the ball between her hands. "Where are you from, Mr. Suvorov?*sigh* Now that I have thoroughly stuffed my foot in my mouth, I'll just divert attention." ::blush

[...]And please, unless I'm with another officer it's just Britt.Ā  Sir, makes me want to look around for someone a bit older,"Ā  says the young officer with a smile.

"Glad to hear it, mate!", she grins. ::biggrin

"And I'm Shaz."

She runs a hand through her unruly hair and smiles, seeming to relax in the slightly more informal atmosphere.

"Piloting is the best thing I've ever found to clear the mind, so I always look forward to heading back out again.Ā  I see you took some advanced training, so how long have you been in the field? "

"Heh... That's a good one!"

"I'm the rookie, mate. Fresh meat straight outta the academy. This is my first real assignment, and I haven't even said hi to most of the people here yet."

She glances around the room, smiling at the few people she does know.

"And I'm Shaz."

"An honour to meet you than, Shaz."

She runs a hand through her unruly hair and smiles, seeming to relax in the slightly more informal atmosphere.

"Heh... That's a good one!"

"I'm the rookie, mate. Fresh meat straight outta the academy. This is my first real assignment, and I haven't even said hi to most of the people here yet."

She glances around the room, smiling at the few people she does know.

"Right, I'm sure everything will go right as rain for your first assignment until it doesn't. That's what I found out on the Damocles and I'm fairly sure will continue to hold true for a good long run. It should be intresting to find out how long it takes something to not go right with us going around the universe and poking at it to see what takes a jab back. "

Britt leans forward a bit, then glances around at the officers around him, "So did you do research on the whole crew, or just the pilots?"

No wimp, her handshake is strong though she returns the pressure gently as well. Marina smiles a little more. "Science was never my forte, but the stars have fascinated me since I was a child. Of course, that would be why I am standing here now. Well, that and a love for explosions."

Blinking for a second she looks horrified. "Please, please don't tell the captain I said that. I only.. its just.. security is so.. necessary." Finishing lamely, she starts rolling the ball between her hands. "Where are you from, Mr. Suvorov?"

Still smiling, he says, "I am from a very small village in Siberia. And I will not tell the Captain about your love for explosions unless it is important for him to know." His smile turns nearly to a grin. "I am part of that...necessary security. Perhaps you did not realize."

"As am I." ::wink

Looking over to the Captain, she shakes her head ruefully. "Thank you for that and I am hoping you'll be free to train with me. Where as Rhianna, Lt. Logan that is, is a great friend, its too distracting to work out with her. She's always cracking up and flirting with the men around us. I'm not much of a social butterfly, so I thought.. maybe since you didn't strike me as the gabby type either, that you wouldn't mind a quiet.. friend as well."

Grimacing, she turns back to the window. "Am I making any kind of sense? *sigh* Don't you hate trying to make new friends? Worse part of new assignments." ::wacko

*It's quiet, too quiet. Timed to stir the pot ::devilangel *

Rhianna steps up on the chair and says---"Come one, come all, to the greatest game off earth! Who's willing to put up Honor for Accomplishment! A bet , A wager, a challange! Who's willing to bet they will find First life, Intelligent life, or Best Mission! The winner gets 'Brownie Points' and bragging rights!"

"Thank you for that and I am hoping you'll be free to train with me. Where as Rhianna, Lt. Logan that is, is a great friend, its too distracting to work out with her. She's always cracking up and flirting with the men around us. I'm not much of a social butterfly, so I thought.. maybe since you didn't strike me as the gabby type either, that you wouldn't mind a quiet.. friend as well."

The tall man smiled. "I would like that. We can practice later, if you like."

"Am I making any kind of sense? *sigh* Don't you hate trying to make new friends? Worse part of new assignments."

"You are making sense. And doing well at trying to make new friends." ::smile

"You are making sense. And doing well at trying to make new friends."

"Ah, thank you!" ::biggrin

---"Come one, come all, to the greatest game off earth! Who's willing to put up Honor for Accomplishment! A bet , A wager, a challange! Who's willing to bet they will find First life, Intelligent life, or Best Mission! The winner gets 'Brownie Points' and bragging rights!"

Laughing, Marina shakes her head. "She never can resist a bet. Not fair though. Not like I ever leave the ship. What about you, Mr. Suvorov? Are you willing to take her up on her bet?" ::tongue

Taking the hand Jamal shakes it firmly, his own stick thin physique frightfully thin against the tanned features of the officer

"Cadet Singh Sir.." he says "Assigned to the Columbus, Sir!" the cadet snapps to attention as his hand is released, slipping the datapad under his arm. Despite signs of recent exercise the officer-in-training still has trouble fitting his uniform. While all the right parts are in the right place, his thin frame and short height combined with his tightly tied red Turban make him look more like a walking match than a officer in the TEF.

"Sir, I was raised on Qinshui Sir!" he says, waiting for the inevitable string of questions to flow forth, having answered them so many times before amoungst the other cadets in his "team" at the academy.

Without moving from his stance Jamal asks "Permission to speak freely sir?"

Beckett looks at the thin cadet, and chuckles to him self a little.

Relax mate, call me Robert if you must, Im not realy comfy with the Sir title.

At the mentioning of Columbus Beckett gains a peculiar look in his eyes, a tankard of interest mixed with a drop of longing. He quickly beams up.

Excellent, then I imagine that we will be seeing a lot of each other in the future.

At the mentioning of Qinshui Beckett grabs Singh by his shoulders.

You been at Qinshui mate? oh, I knew it was going to get interesting, but to talk to someone whos actualy been there. Speak as free as suits suites your needs

Entering the lounge just in time to catch Rhianna's 'show', Commander Sukuko's eyes narrow as a frown forms across her brow. Taking a step towards the rather rowdy junior officer, she then notices the Captain & Lieutenant Commander Meyers sitting together, & appears to change her mind...

... Instead of heading over to discipline Rhianna, Commander Sukuko walks over to her commanding officer - the African woman's dark skin & tall, elegant, grace betraying her Maasai heritage, even if her shaved head, the beads forming a colourful collar around her neck, & the elaborate earings in her distended lobes weren't enough evidence of her culture of origin.

Reaching O'Malley & Meyers, Sukuko stands for the moment - not fully to attention, since the setting is an informal one, but unwilling to sit until her superior officer offers - a perfect reflection of the TEF codes of officer conduct. When she speaks, her strong & confident voice carries just the barest hint of her native Maa tongue,

"Captain." the African woman nods as O'Malley acknowledges her presence, & only then turns to the Lieutenant Commander, "Mister Meyers."

Taking a seat (once offered) the Commander relaxes the formality a little, & smiles at the datapads held by each man ::smile . Holding up her own 'pad, she comments,

"It looks like we elders have administrative duties to attend to whilst," she glances over to Rhianna again, "the children get to play." ::rolleyes

Turning again to the Captain, Sukuko asks,

"Sir - I'm compiling the final list of crew positions & assigned quarters. Do you Sir," she then glances at Meyers, "or you Mister Meyers, have any suggestions I need to take into account?"

Sitting in a secluded corner of the room is the young LuGeian Cadet, Nu-Shan Chow.

The Asian girl's pretty & delicate features are somewhat offset by the Interface Augmentation Relay that covers her left ear - a biotech device that marks its wearer clearly as an Electrokinetic - but it is the organic curves of the Enhancer Guantlet worn over her right hand & forearm that tend to draw the eye - almost as if the petite young teenager has a demonic claw in place of a hand. Those who know of such things, however, can't help but notice that Chow uses the gauntletted hand as easily & naturally as her bare hand - a sure sign that the guantlet, just like the IAR, is formatted.

Quietly keeping to herself, studying Scarab schematics on a datapad, there is a brief twitch of activity from the Cadet when Rhianna & Marina (gently) bad-mouth the Legions - no more than a slight frown as her eyes remain fixed on the technical data before her, but the small electrical arcs that - just for a moment - dance across the gauntlet & IAR are testiment to some inner surge of emotion as the comments drift across the lounge...

... Taking a moment's break from her studies the Asian Cadet glances about the room. Catching the eye of her fellow Cadet - Jamal Singh - she nods politely, then returns to the data which appears to consume the vast majority of her attention...

Smithy notices the asian girl finally (the electric arks catch his attension im sure) and he notices the Bioware. He blinks twoce then looks up at his friend.

"You...uhhh...you find that pool table. Ah think ima go talk to her...Tell me when ya find it..."

He smiles and walks over to the asian woman.

"Hey there...mah...uhh...mah name is Smithy...Ah noticed that cha have sum naice bioware there. Where'dya pick that up from?"

"Captain." the African woman nods as O'Malley acknowledges her presence, & only then turns to the Lieutenant Commander, "Mister Meyers."

Meyers nods

"Commander.." (he'd offer a seat but I'm assuming that the captain already did)

Taking a seat (once offered) the Commander relaxes the formality a little, & smiles at the datapads held by each manĀ  . Holding up her own 'pad, she comments,

"It looks like we elders have administrative duties to attend to whilst," she glances over to Rhianna again, "the children get to play."

Meyers smiles, relieved that the Commander isn't quite so stuck-up as she seemed.

"The unsung joys of command..." ::rolleyes ::wink

Turning again to the Captain, Sukuko asks,

"Sir - I'm compiling the final list of crew positions & assigned quarters. Do you Sir," she then glances at Meyers, "or you Mister Meyers, have any suggestions I need to take into account?"

"There're four women on board not counting yourself commander. They can perhaps share quarters unless you intend to go purely by rank. If the women do share quarters I'd probably suggest putting Soto and Chow together. Their...difficult backgrounds might help them bond together."

Meyers shrugs

"Or not...There's also the question of who I'm bunking with. I wouldn't mind bunking with Lt. Adair, if only to keep an eye on him. But the choice is yours Commander, I don't really mind. You can even put me with Chow if you think that'd help her in the long run...If she likes it quiet, so do I."

Meyers flicks through the crewfiles on his datapad as he changes the subject

"On crew positions...I'd like to run a few simulations with the crew once we get on-board, particularly with the pilots and security personnel. I'd like to make sure I've the best-fitted officers for the job at all posts. I'd also like to run a few unannounced drills to assess crew response times..."

"Hey there...mah...uhh...mah name is Smithy...Ah noticed that cha have sum naice bioware there. Where'dya pick that up from?"

"Standard issue." Cadet Chow's response appears automatic, it's not until afterwards that she actually looks up from her datapad. Spotting Smithy's insignia it looks for a moment like she may stand to attention, but (after a brief flush of colour to her cheeks ::blush ) she remains seated as she adds,

"Lieutenant Smith. I'm sorry, Sir, I didn't realise it was you. Cadet Chow, Sir - I'm to be under you on the Columbus." Chow gestures for the Lieutenant to sit if he wishes to, "I was just going over the ship's schematics again."

"There're four women on board not counting yourself commander. They can perhaps share quarters unless you intend to go purely by rank. If the women do share quarters I'd probably suggest putting Soto and Chow together. Their...difficult backgrounds might help them bond together."

Sukuko nods in agreement at the suggestion.

"Or not...There's also the question of who I'm bunking with. I wouldn't mind bunking with Lt. Adair, if only to keep an eye on him. But the choice is yours Commander, I don't really mind. You can even put me with Chow if you think that'd help her in the long run...If she likes it quiet, so do I."

The Commander again nods,

"That sounds reasonable, Mister Meyers. The senior officers' quarters has enough privacy so that the Captain & myself can share without being inappropriate, & our two Qin colleagues have their own - off limits - quarters. Since you've obviously put some thought into this, I'll leave you to assign the rest of the quarters as you see fit."

"On crew positions...I'd like to run a few simulations with the crew once we get on-board, particularly with the pilots and security personnel. I'd like to make sure I've the best-fitted officers for the job at all posts. I'd also like to run a few unannounced drills to assess crew response times..."

Sukuko looks thoughtful, checks something on her datapad, then replies,

"I see we have two psi-active pilots with no assigned bio-ware. I presume that they'll each want to format one of the pilot stations - either one of the Locusts or the helm of the Columbus itself, depending on where they're assigned. That may limit out versatility a bit, but the results of formatting are usually worth it, from what I've seen. There are, naturally, tactical considerations as well - the Locusts are a prime means of defense for the ship. As I understand it a psi-active can format to all the controls of a Locust - including weaponry, but the controls of a Scarab are complex enough that each system needs to be formatted seperately. With that in mind I'd be inclined to assign the two psi-actives," she checks her 'pad again, "Adair & Brooks to the Locusts, but that's by no means a final decision - I'm open to suggestions. As for the drills..." the Commander breaks into a wide grin ::biggrin , "... well, let's just say we seem to be on the same wavelength, Commander."

Meanwhile, a handsome young Nihonjin man walks into the lounge - well, it's more like he saunters in as if he owned the place... Casting his eyes around the place he has a devilish smile for every woman he sees ::devil , but it's over to Ensign Brooks that he eventually heads. Clapping his hand on her shoulder in a friendly & framiliar manner he says,

"Hi Shaz... fancy meeting you here..." ::sly

... Ensign Takashi Masters has arrived...

Archived