Trinity Universe: New game...?

ezekiel

Ok...

So a while ago Prof said I should be storyteller and stop being pansy 'cause he'd like to play for once...(ok, not in those exact words)

So here's the pitch. I'm thinking of starting a game in early Nova era, probably after the node has been discovered and the first MR facility has cropped up. Not sure exactly when yet (Moscow Crash? Just before? After? Much after?).

On character creation I'm thinking of having everyone start off as baselines...play baseline in a world of supermen for a while. I'd want people to create baselines only and make them create their nova character only when they erupt (hopefully with powers allowing them to be useful when they erupt...so creation subject to logic) So this would mean only standard creation + 15 bonus points...no spending nova points yet.

Hopefully this would allow players to connect more with their past and enjoy the nova in them more when it comes. Personnally I think that the more normal the baseline, the more fun it'll be for you but I guess army veteran commando isn't totally out of the question.

Fascist storyteller at hand...any interest? If so I'll hammer out the details in the coming days...

Oh, one more thing...I'm hoping to lead this to some kind of 4-color super-hero campaign. Try not to make the dark, brooding, kill-em-all type. Brooding yes, mysterious...ok...kill-em-all? No. Please?

Ok, 8 players won't put an end to my sanity...but this time I draw the line!

I feel like Heritage trying to limit the number of players in WJ.. ::tongue

I need to touch up on my abbie History before I give any more details so think general concept for now. I'll try to read the book tonight and post something within the next 24hours.

As a given, PU is a philanthropic organisation. No slider conspiracy, no Bahrain, etc.

Cool! I got a reserved slot - I feel like a VIP! ::thumbsup ::wink

First question - will characters be allowed to still spend Bonus Points on Quantum (even if they can't use it before they erupt) - you know, kinda' reserving the potential at the cost of having less bonus points to spend on the more practically helpful (for baselines) stuff? That might be an idea for any younger characters (e.g. a student without much life experience, but with plenty of Nova potential to - eventually - even the odds).

Second question - will the characters all know each other, or have some other common links, before the game starts? I.e. what sort of character framework are we aiming at?

Third question (comment really) - why no Bahrain facility? In your four colour game you need some place to put the supervillains (or you kinda' end up needing to either let them run rampant or kill them... ::lookaround ) - will there be some 'Mega-Prison', if not Bahrain?

I'm looking forward to this one. ::biggrin

First question - will characters be allowed to still spend Bonus Points on Quantum (even if they can't use it before they erupt) - you know, kinda' reserving the potential at the cost of having less bonus points to spend on the more practically helpful (for baselines) stuff? That might be an idea for any younger characters (e.g. a student without much life experience, but with plenty of Nova potential to - eventually - even the odds).

Or even any type of character. Old and grey. Young and active.

Another solution would be to give out background points twice, i.e. once during baseline creation (no nova stuff allowed) and another during nova creation (although this would tend to create more powerful characters).

All good questions Prof, keep asking some as it makes me think of what to prepare and think about...

which means I've no answers for you yet. Setting first, then you. I'll go read my history now...

Only one I feel I can answer now is the background one. I won't allow more than one point of quantum through bonus points and no eufiber *gasp! all that free soak!* Besides, I'm not even sure it'll have been invented yet. Node no higher than two at this point.

And the third question? If you capture a Magneto PU will of course have prepared a plastic prison somewhere. Mega-strong? Reinforced titanium cell...The villains to need to be able to escape...I don't want them ALL to escape at once as they would be in Bahrain.. ::devil

This is still provisionary, I need to read up on the book a bit so keep your pants on 'til then...unless you have more questions, I like those. Just know that its too early to start PMing character sheets...I don't really know what I want yet...hmmm, hope this isn't a bad omen... ::lookaround

Ok...so here's what I think we'll do..

The game will start end of 2000...Census, around 1800 Novas worldwide. PU exists and T2M is almost two years old with already a few success stories under their belt. The world is "just" picking up from one heck of a recession with rioting happening in third and even first world countries. So who are you? Could be anybody. The player's don't have to know each other, I'll probably link you through PU eventually...what I would like is for everyone to be in North America though. Doesn't mean you have to be American...just in it so you all go to the same training facility when the time comes...if it comes ::lookaround. You could also be based elsewhere...say you're a professor who often gives conferences in the US or a businessman, etc.

Remember that unemployement is still high, Novas are getting paid 8 figure salaries which might 'cause some resentment though they're also helping mankind, from building houses to typical "comic book" stunts like fighting terrorists and underworld crime. Your characters probably envy the novas in every way imaginable. They look good, they do good...and they're rich!

Your characters could be scientists, diplomats, journalists, losers, I don't really care...if I have a problem with it when I see it I'll tell you. Just remember that your character should be of the philanthropic sort...if not now at least when he erupts. (I don't want any backstabbers, baseline haters, me better than you-ers so I bash you-ers) The goal is to eventually put you in the Team with a Capital "T" after all...

Character creation is as per the book, I'll also give you one free ability specialty. Though, as mentioned before, no nova creation yet. I'm even toying with the idea of giving you powers (or some of your powers) myself when the time comes, more surprise for you...or would that be too fascist? Specialties cost 1 bonus point each if you care to buy some. I don't have the APG with me so don't think about using it...I'm also biased against it so there. ::tongue There's no eufiber yet, your node is limited to two dots and you can only buy 1 Quantum point with your bonus points if you choose to go that way.

Please give extra effort on your background. What motivates your character, his/her views on the world, aspirations, etc. What makes the character tick? Of course I realise that you'll have more of an idea when you start playing the character but you should know that the more I know the character, the easier the roleplaying of the eruption will be for both of us (you, the player, and me Master&Creator) If you don't want me to say "I hate it" after you put a lot of effort on your background you might want to give me your pitch before getting into it, if you have any doubts. (Like playing a mob hitman, a rapist or something.)

Questions? Comments? Post 'em here!

The "Hidden Power" is a good idea ::thumbsup You may want to slightly lower the starting nova points (when the time comes) and leave the rest as "Unknown power" pool for ST use. That way we can start to develop our Nova personas before Eruption ::unsure

(Whew, i'm out of breath) ::blink

Yeah, I'm up for ST-assigned eruptions (providing, of course, that no-one gets landed with 'amusing' or 'crap' eruptions - creating a street-smart tough guy, then having the ST tell you, "Hey Billy, you're now bright pink & gay!" probably leads to a lack of player interest in the character, after all... ::wink ).

I'm thinking of playing a cop - maybe a NYPD detective. That would seem to go well with both the 'right attitude' bit, & the whole 'dealing with the freaked-out world on the front lines' bit too. Does that sound like an okay concept?

I'm thinking of playing a cop - maybe a NYPD detective. That would seem to go well with both the 'right attitude' bit, & the whole 'dealing with the freaked-out world on the front lines' bit too. Does that sound like an okay concept?

Sure, you could call him Barry Mathewson and maybe he could erupt while being shot off a cliff or something... ::wink

Then he could date an Empath called Trailseeker...

Seriously though, ::thumbsup I'll be waiting for your sheet.

Btw, a message to all players...I don't think it needs to be mentioned but please keep the character sheets "normal"

Strength 3

brawl 2

Dex 4 (fast)

Legerdemain 5 (pickpocketing underwear)

Hmm.. I'm thinking I want to play a young emergency room doctor. She knows the dangers, because she's the one they come to after the battle's been fought. She's idealistic enough to want to make a difference but has enough grit to realize you need an iron fist. ::devilangel

So far I've got:

- An NYPD cop

- A man who doesn't wish to tell you what he is

- A street Doctor

- An old, well educated, homeless person

- An east German athlete and B-movie actor (Dulf!) Though I'm still waiting for the sheet on this one

- A student/relief worker? no sheet

- An emergency room doctor? no sheet

- A preppy female college student? Heritage still hasn't PMed me on this one, I think he's ashamed.. ::wink

Archived