Trinity Universe: TEF Crew Positions

Prince of Boredom

I suppose if we have an NPC I'll just be more hands-on as Captain and try to push more responsibility to the Second Officer (to give him some experience before his next promotion). You know it could be interesting to have one of the Qin as first officer. Maybe it was even a stipulation for their participation?

In a way I kinda' think keeping one of the command 'slots' as an NPC could be a help (after running DoD) - after all, NPCs are useful ST tools for throwing hints & suggestions to PCs who get off-track, right? ::wink

The Qin first officer is tempting (for all us die-hard Spock fans ::biggrin ), but I don't think it makes enough practical sense, considering the usual duties of the first officer include dealing with crew personal problems & the like.

Unless another PC turns up to claim the spot I'm planning, at the moment, to have one Qin 'doctor' (scientist / doctor type - most likely manning the biotech station). The other Qin is to be a 'bodyguard' version - taking one of the gunnery stations (whichever is left) as an emergency position, & generally acting as another security guy ('red shirt' as we like to call them... ::devil ).

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Madcat and Bahamut, take note that we were in academy at the same time, and Bahamut, we were actually ensigns together on the Bristow.

No, I'm not back in action yet - just taking a nice break from marine biology, writing, swing dancing, martial arts, and the cute girls across the window from us. ::cool ::wub

No, I'm not back in action yet - just taking a nice break from marine biology, writing, swing dancing, martial arts, and the cute girls across the window from us.

What are you doing here, man ::blink ? Stop taking a break & get back to it - although you can forget the marine biology, writing, swing dancing, & martial arts... ::devil ::wink

Phoenix, Bahamut, perhaps we shoul exchange some personal info about each others characters like hobbies/interestes/personal life.. stuff like that?

Or at least define how close we known each other...

hobbies: Mechanics, Country Music

Interests: Science, Mechanics, Country Music

Personal Life: What personal life...he is a mechanic! and a derned good one too!

Actually, since the Country & Western is kinda based on the loneliness of the prairie and stuff ("I'm so lonely in my saddle since my horse died..."), it's only natural to assume there's a new branch of that tradition.

Can anybody guess what happens when one of these people go into space...? Space Country!! Or something like that. Maybe the genre name needs a little work, but I think you see where I'm going...

Ok, been thinking of another way to look at crew positions. In addition to the emergency crew positions we should start thinking about what your character will be doing the rest of the time on shift.

The Prof has implied that the SOP (standard operating procedures) is to run thre crews at I assume 8 hour shifts.

Each of those shifts will contain one of each of these positions: commander, pilot / astrogator, gunner, sensor / communications, & systems (environmental / damage control / engineering / biotech).

That equals 15 people with the 16th I'm assuming being the doc who's duty location is the sick bay.

It should be pretty easy to figure out where you'll be, but just something else to think about.

Its funny how I find my character's role on the ship (not out of the ship) ambiguous. Would he be in a command chair? Sickbay? Gunnery position? What do gunners do during a shift? They sleep in their chair? (the Gunnery position is below deck if I remember correctly, away from everyone...nice and quiet)

Each of those shifts will contain one of each of these positions:  commander, pilot / astrogator, gunner, sensor / communications, & systems (environmental / damage control / engineering / biotech).

Outside of an emergency, are these really the important positions? And if we're talking an emergency, wouldn't all shifts be in position?

Obviously, the Commander and Pilot/Astrogator should always be filled, but the others? ::confused

I think it's more efficient if the shifts are adjusted for what jobs are necessary at any given time. If we need to work on some kind of scientific analysis for a long time it's a bad idea to have all the scientists on one shift, for example...

Zeke, I'm pretty sure you'd be sitting the command chair on the third shift (CAPT and first officer have first and second respectively).

I guess I'll be his pilot, then. I think I've made the lowest ranking (out of three) pilot-type so far.

Zeke, I'm pretty sure you'd be sitting the command chair on the third shift (CAPT and first officer have first and second respectively).

Does that mean 16 people share 3 shifts? Each do 8 hours + 16 hours off? is there some kind of weird rotation maybe? Only command sleeps 16 hours.. ::halo?

I know when we crossed the atlantic last year we each (4 of us, 26days with no land in sight so almost the length of a TEF mission) had a shift of 8hours every 12 hours. 2 hours as general aid prior to our taking the bar, 4 hours at the bar (meaning theretically you're alert) and 2 hours after the bar shift as general aid to whoever's at the bar. Then 8 hours sleep/read/cook/whatever and the shift starts again. The "aid" shifts allow crewmembers to mingle with those of other shifts. In our case since we were four that meant there was one crewmember we rarely ever saw...kinda like a 16 member shift but if you take the captain out of the rotations then the shifts work almost perfectly since they're dividable by three: 3 shifts of 5 people per 24 hour rotation, Captain always awake during emergencies or any moment where safety might be a concern. He probably takes a normal shift as well, but crewmembers (meaning the Commanding officer he would relieve)allow him to sleep more if he needs it since they know he was probably awake during there off shifts anyway. With three shifts I'd probably do 8 hours + an hour as "aid" before and after the shift every 14 hours

i.e.

00h00 - 8h00

Shift A (23h00-9h00)

8h00 - 16h00

Shift B (7h00 - 17h00)

16h00 - 00h00

Shift C (15h00-01h00)

P.S. If you're wondering how come 3 shifts gets more sleep than 4 its because on our 4 shifts there were always two people awake...now there're holes of 6hours where the active shift is alone.

Outside of an emergency, are these really the important positions? And if we're talking an emergency, wouldn't all shifts be in position?

Obviously, the Commander and Pilot/Astrogator should always be filled, but the others?

1. I took this list directly from the Prof's post some time ago, so I'm treating it as standard TEF policy.

2. I think it does make sense. When we are actually on a mission (otherwise we'd be on the jumpship and not working at all) each of these positions is critical to the functioning of the ship.

Commander - obvious

Pilot - again obvious

Sensor/Comms - As mission start, probes willl be sent out to scan the system. It is the job of this position to monitor those probes, use the ship's other sensors to look into space, and be ready to receive comms when necessary (ie. from the jumpship).

Systems - Definately need someone on shift to constantly be monitoring the ship's status, be it life support, engine status, etc. Don't want to have to wait for some automated voice to tell us we're about to die...

Gunnery - probably borfed most of the time, but they'd we keeping an eye out for hostile threats to the ship, and if combat becomes inevitable, we want to have some offensive power without having to wait for personnel to man their emergency stations (probably at least 5 minutes)

As for shift timing, I was assuming a 30 minute (though an hour as Zeke pointed out is doable as well) pad on each side of the actual shift for crew changeover, etc.

Also, as for what they're doing the rest of the time? Well I figure sleep for about 8 hours, wake up, take care of personal hygiene, eat breakfast (lunch, dinner depending on shift) then (because there's really not much else to do) go to work (just not on the bridge).

For example, a science officer may be working in one of the science labs trying to ID something they found on their last shift, etc.

Make sense?

As for shift timing, I was assuming a 30 minute (though an hour as Zeke pointed out is doable as well) pad on each side of the actual shift for crew changeover, etc.

Yeah, I actually think an hour is short. The goal isn't to allow for a shift change, it's to have the crewmembers see each other and get to know everyone on board, not just those on their shifts. Those who are on the "aid" shift don't do much more than bring coffee or take the chair when a pottie break is needed.

Hey Prince o' Boredom.. I'm still making a character.. at the current rendition.. He'll probably be a Lieutenant, and ask to be on a Locust hybrid during emergency situations (an adept pilot).. But everything is subject to change at the ST's will (dontcha know)

--malk

The question is... If you were in a restaurant with your girlfriend and that woman walked by, would you turn to look at her?

If so she's at least a 3... Personally I'd say she'd be about 4 if she wasn't so damn skinny.

2 is average, and if there's anywhere looks like that are average you people better tell me where it is!!

• 1 month later...

Archived