Trinity Universe: TEF OOC

ProfPotts

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another thing: How does formatting 'feel'? Aside from the technical game-effects, what are the consequences of being formatted to the pilot station of a scarab, roleplaying-wise?

Generally it means that the formatted bioware feels like a natural extension of the character's body (since, after formatting, the two share DNA that is, in some ways, literally true) - although until they suffer from too much Tolerance, the character is still in control enough to be able to mentally & emotionally seperate themselves from the item in question.

Role-playing-wise it's like 'Zen & the art of Scarab piloting' - you don't have to really think about what you're doing any more than you have to think about moving your legs in order to run: i.e. you still go through all the same mechanical motions, it just feels totally natural.

Chances are a character with formatted bioware also feels a certain emotional bond to that item as well - like a favoured pet or something.

Ooh... good question...

Why, thank you...

You might want to think about the Scarab too while you're at it since we're going to be landing that too...or are we landing a shuttle from the scarab?

How loud is a Star Trek shuttle anyway? I'm trying to think about episodes but it's not really clear to me...Granted I haven't seen Enterprise much, it's probably more evident there. In TNG they were mostly in the shuttle in space or landed (if they used them at all, beaming and all that..). It probably saves on special effects costs to just film space shots, landed ground shots and inside shots...:P

Okay - reading the whole bit about fusion jets, I'm guessing they're very loud... but that Trinity-era tech' can dampen that a bit (what with white noise &... er... technical thingies & stuff... yeah... that'll do... ::lookaround ).

Are there any guidelines on specimen taking?

Probably - but the TEF haven't yet evolved a 'Prime Directive' or anything - they tend to sorta' run on common sense instead...

Are we expected to come back and start the "Arborea Zoo"?

Sorta' - the science geeks would tend to want to bring as many specimens back as would fit in the ship - hopefully saner minds compensate for that & just bring back actually interesting & / or representative stuff.

Is there anything we're not allowed to bring back? etc

STDs from aliens princesses ::blush ... & Country & Western music, natch. ::devil

"They appear to be warm-blooded reptilian life-forms. I'd imagine that they're gliding on the thermals in the atmosphere - it's what would pass for 'tropical' on Earth down there. By the grouping it would appear that they travel in at least family-sized groups: although that's just a preliminary judgement."

After studying some more data she adds,

"Apart from the humanoids we've already identified, there are also some larger life-forms down there: up to the size of one of your 'elephant' mammels, I believe. Atmospheric conditions make further details impossible to glean, although they too - like the humanoids & the flyers - appear to be warm-blooded. There is a great variety of other life forms as well, although we're not going to learn much about them from up here..."

You can take the GM out of the Adventure!, but can you take the Adventure! out of the GM? ::sly ::squid

Hey Guys, sorry for the delay in posting (mumblemumbleNTLmumblemumble).

Now, to business. Would it be possible for Jamal to use the attunement scan the columbus carried out as a primitive sort of psi print for using scan emotion to get information on the important of the ziggurat to the populance. the reason i'm asking is that action smacks a bit to close for clairsenients (sp?) to me but I thought I would ask.

Cheers

Chieftain

Yo, Chieftain, welcome back ::smiley5

Would it be possible for Jamal to use the attunement scan the columbus carried out as a primitive sort of psi print for using scan emotion to get information on the important of the ziggurat to the populance.
I don't see why not, IMHO. The Attunment readings were gathered by the team Clair (Lt. Logan) through the ships sensors. And she took Psi prints. Since she has Mindscan, too, I think she would have provided the pertinant links. Just ask her and she'll download them to you---With GOD's ::priest permission, of course ::praying

Quickly scanning over the helm datafeed, Jason checks the stability of Britt's orbit. Realizing its flawlessness after only a second's look, he quickly becomes restless for something to do. He can hardly remember ever feeling so alive, even surrounded, as he is, by the stifling abyss of space. The Columbus itself feels like both impermeable armor and an unstoppable sword against it, and he senses its alien presence around him in every cell of its body. Only with conscious resistance can he restrain himself from expanding to fill it, to make its probes his eyes, its fusion jets his legs.

Ok, now I'm confused. Is this your way of describing the feeling of being formatted to the ship, Phoenix, or is it the way Jason feels about flying? Or is it just the biokinetic 'Zen and the art of Biotech Piloting'? ::confused

Are Brooks and Adair both formatted to it? I guess the Scarab could handle that, but on the other hand it would take one kick-ass psion - 9 psi - to handle both the Scarab and the Locust.

Damn... How did I get shafted with helm, of all things? I want to check out the Locusts. And the planet, for that matter. Trust this crew to have the only pilot in the whole force better than me.

He flashes a confident, curious glance and a "you-do-your-job-I'll-mine" grin and nod down to those surrounding the holographic image of the planet and its native life, then hits a key on his control panel, bringing up a view from Locust 1.

Actually, make that the only one in the world.

Awww.... Britt's not the best one in the world.. He's just good at what he does in multiple ways...

It's probably really going to cook Jason's goose when Britt comes back to land the Scarab (ya know.. just when things would get intresting)

Ok, now I'm confused. Is this your way of describing the feeling of being formatted to the ship, Phoenix, or is it the way Jason feels about flying? Or is it just the biokinetic 'Zen and the art of Biotech Piloting'?

Jason is not formatted to the Scarab; he's formatted to one of the Locusts, whichever one his shift and battle station are on. The post I made was meant to describe Jason's Biosense, and his discomfort with being at helm on a ship he's not formatted to. Sorry if that was unclear.

Would it be possible for Jamal to use the attunement scan the columbus carried out as a primitive sort of psi print for using scan emotion to get information on the important of the ziggurat to the populance. the reason i'm asking is that action smacks a bit to close for clairsenients (sp?) to me but I thought I would ask.

Okay, a couple of things here.

First up - only the Columbus (& Lieutenant Logan's Device) have the special bio-tech sensors which allow psychically gained information to be displayed as normal-style data. Although the Psi-print of one of the humanoids was taken, Jamal has no access to it from where he is. The interpreted data could be sent to him (like any normal data - which it is at that point), but not converted back to a Psi-print for his use.

Secondly (& importantly) Jamal's 'Sense Emotion' has a range of 5 meters. The Mindscan basic technique doesn't allow a Telepath to ignore normal range limits on his powers...

"... If your character uses Mindscan to locate a subject, it doesn't matter if the target is in his line of sight. The telepath may also use other powers through the Mindscan connection, as long as they aren't normally blocked by distance or physical barriers." Trinity, page 221

also...

"The range listed with each power's description is the distance your character can use that psi power reliably. Any target still within line of sight beyond this range may be affected, but at an increased difficulty. The specific difficulty for this extreme range depends on the distance category involved. If the effect is listed in meters, extreme range is +1 difficulty per meter beyond normal range. If the power covers tens or hundreds of meters, extreme range is +1 difficulty per every extra 10 meters. Kilometers or greater measurements have no effective extreme range, since the psion can't see reliably past that distance anyway..." Trinity, page 195

Jamal has a Mindscan range of 500 meters, a Sense Empathy range of 5 meters, & a Mindspeak range of 1 kilometer. The Babel Effect & Willfinder both require close (conversation range) interaction.

If Jamal wants to 'scan' the surface from his Locust he needs to (since line of sight isn't likely to be available) get within 500 meters or so of his target & use Mindscan (at which point he could use use Mindspeak, if he wanted to). His other powers just don't have the needed range.

'ziggurat' - a lofty pyramidal tower of ancient Babylon, with outside stairways & a shrine at the top [from the Assyrian zigguratu, meaning height or pinnacle]

... Just thought I better add that, since people keep calling the thing other weird names begining with 'z' & I'm getting the impression that it might have needed explaining... ::lookaround

Whilst I'm on the subject, what's this 'Egent' which has been mentioned? I thought it was just a typo for 'Agent', but then others started to mention it too? ::confused

And he would maybe have flipped them on for the pretty sky shot... given the command staff a nice thrill... But turned them back off until his report of the area (I should ask prof.. would the sensors have a manner of recording without transmitting? And might I please have had them on (the recording part) from the flight start (or if there is a time limit.. during things like.. the blast hole.. the amazing view.. the flying creatures... important things like that..)

The sensors on the Locusts (&, when the team eventually get on the ground, the minicomps) generally record everything, but don't transmit until you tell them to. Memory isn't gonna' be a big issue - what with Moore's law & a couple of hundred years Trinity computers have plenty enough memory for the average PC's lifetime (you know - about 2.6 days... ::devil ).

• 1 month later...
After programing the probe for the survey of the ring system and recieving launch prep from Lt Beckett, Rhianna informs the Comander and awaits launch authorisation from her.

This action has already been authorised - TEF officers are allowed (& expected) to think for themselves & handle assignments without needing constant supervision by their superiors. If not, then there wouldn't be much fun in playing them would there? ::tongue ::wink

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived