Aberrant: War Journal - War Journal OOC

Heritage

Maybe somethign to do with the title?

Could well be right - it's about infiltrating an Alejandra cult, and the title was a reference to Spinal Tap (not enough room for "Listen to What the Flower People Say")

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where have all the Flower People Gone? Flower people, Flower people everywhere!

MMMMM.. leafy!

I hearby rename Heritage's War Journal ala Bullwinkle to..

The Big Boom or The Downfalls of Inflatible Flower People.

(Please note.. this is a joke.. don't hurt me Mr. ST)

Prepare to be smited, lowly human worm!

Oh yeah.. I'll give you a papercut! Yea.. That's my max out power.. I give nasty papercuts.. Just you wait and see! All inside your intestines you'll have little wormy papercuts ::halo

Oh wait.. you said yer cool.. got ya..

Oh yeah.. I'll give you a papercut! Yea.. That's my max out power.. I give nasty papercuts.. Just you wait and see! All inside your intestines you'll have little wormy papercuts

Thats nuthin'...when frenchie maxes out he only gets fatter (i.e. heavier) ::laugh

What, 3 nova scouts and no one has enhanced senses?

Epstein's senses are enhanced - what's your point? ::confused

edit: Oh, I think I see what you mean. Epstein can see the way fine, she was more referring to tactics, strategems, dormed or not dormed, etc. Basically, I didn't want an NPC giving you guys orders. ::tongue

To be perfectly honest, when I printed up the character sheet off my PC, the low toner made the photo I was using look purple-black - it looked so cool, I had to use it as his aberration ::laugh

Swiped from a relevant web site:

The essential rules of international humanitarian law 

Persons who do not or can no longer take part in the hostilities are entitled to respect for their life and for their physical and mental integrity. Such persons must in all circumstances be protected and treated with humanity, without any unfavorable distinction whatever.

It is forbidden to kill or wound an adversary who surrenders or who can no longer take part in the fighting.

The wounded and sick must be collected and cared for by the party to the conflict which has them in its power. Medical personnel and medical establishments, transports and equipment must be spared. The red cross or red crescent on a white background is the sign protecting such persons and objects and must be respected.

Captured combatants and civilians who find themselves under the authority of the adverse party are entitled to respect for their life, their dignity, their personal rights and their political, religious and other convictions. They must be protected against all acts of violence or reprisal. They are entitled to exchange news with their families and receive aid.

Everyone must enjoy basic judicial guarantees and no one may be held responsible for an act he has not committed. No one may be subjected to physical or mental torture or to cruel or degrading corporal punishment or other treatment.

Neither the parties to the conflict nor members of their armed forces have an unlimited rights to choose methods and means of warfare. It is forbidden to use weapons or methods of warfare that are likely to cause unnecessary losses or excessive suffering.

The parties to a conflict must at all times distinguish between the civilian population and combatants in order to spare the civilian population and civilian property. Neither the civilian population as whole nor individual civilians may be attacked. Attacks may be made solely against military objectives.

Note:

It is forbidden to kill or wound an adversary who surrenders or who can no longer take part in the fighting.

&

No one may be subjected to physical or mental torture or to cruel or degrading corporal punishment or other treatment.

Which would appear to be of particular relevance.

I have already gone over the geneva conventions with Heritage about it (from genevaconvention.org i think) and That was more a pointed comment that *someone* other then rex (and not everyone else) was wrong. Im sure the new guy in charge knows to ignore it.

Or if you want...just ask frenchie to enlighten everyone. I still have that PM and ill have plenty of time at work tonight

Notice how it says:

who surrenders or who can no longer take part in the fighting.

Knowing Havoc, he very well could have stabbed the message in while fighting and left...

No one may be subjected to physical or mental torture or to cruel or degrading corporal punishment or other treatment.

Ditto, if you shoot an enemy combatant in the gut and he only dies hours later, that's not torture, that's combat.

If you go to war with a bow and arrow and shoot a message along with each arrow, it doesn't suddenly become torture.

It's still a form of Mental torture.. and in order to accurately place and stab a message on someone's chest.. either they'd have to be subdued, there be a whole lot of luck, or maybe be invisible when you struck them down. But to kill (or severely maim someone) and leave a message is basically just taunting like the bully shouting across the yard how he just totally pants-ed you...

(okay maybe that's a bad example)

It's still a form of Mental torture..

Mental torture covers things such as mock executions, abnormal sleep deprivation or chemically induced psychosis. Threats of eye-for-an-eye retribution during combat certainly wouldn't fall under this.

either they'd have to be subdued, there be a whole lot of luck, or maybe be invisible when you struck them down.

or have mega-dex (which Havoc does have as well as hyper-enhanced movement)

But to kill (or severely maim someone) and leave a message is basically just taunting like the bully shouting across the yard how he just totally pants-ed you...

(okay maybe that's a bad example)

Can't argue with that...but all (almost) is fair in love and war. Bullying and taunting isn't illegal in war. (Do you really think soldiers don't call out insults to the enemy?)

and you also have to figure on the effect on the ex-soldiers team-mates that arent dead. They now know that there is some guy killing their own off and leaving corney shakespeare quotes behind.

Like WWI allied pilots knew the Red Baron was out to get them...and?

What happens to captured green novas?

If they accept registration, their families are protected from harrassment, usually put up in government housing somewhere. The novas themselves undergo training, and are either required to help design technology for the war effort, or help fight/seek out non-registered novas.

If they don't accept registration, it's a trial for war crimes, with either imprisonent (typically for life) or the death penalty being the verdict. At any time during their imprisonment, they can basically 'recant', accept registration, and join the war effort - however, they would probably never be fully trusted, and will be watched closely for treasonous behaviour. If they do pull something, it's the death penalty for sure.

Registered Aberrants have to wear special collars that allow their movements to be traced via GPS, and can at any time be used to inject incapacitating, quantum-impairing, or lethal drugs into their bodies ::nervous

and in order to accurately place and stab a message on someone's chest..

For the record, it was stuck to Cutler's leg with a knife - it was never 'carved into him' as Rex declared, but I assume he was upset, and therefore prone to exaggeration. Both Cutler's hands were crushed as well, which is probably the more serious charge.

yeah I saw the edited post Bahamut...

For the record (in the unedited post)

art. 17 of the 4th convention:

Art. 17. The Parties to the conflict shall endeavour to conclude local agreements for the removal from besieged or encircled areas, of wounded, sick, infirm, and aged persons, children and maternity cases, and for the passage of ministers of all religions, medical personnel and medical equipment on their way to such areas.

This doesn't mean that Havoc can't keep his daughter. It means that if he wants her evacuated then the Joes should try to accept his request to do so. It also means soldiers shouldn't shoot down escaping civilians or Red Cross / Medecins Sans Frontieres / Priests, etc.

Julia is a seperate issue, and definitly will be treated as such - a lot of that comes down to personal feelings and interpretation, like so many things in life. Seeing as Havoc is her only surviving family, it could be argued that to seperate them would be wrong and more emotionally damaging. (shrug) We'll see how that pans out.

Yup, Frenchie was just quoting the Convention as if it was wrong to keep her, I'm just pointing out the convention has no such rules.

We'll see how that pans out.

It'll pan out that she's staying...anyone who says otherwise better be at least as capable as Rex. (seriously, that was a fair fight if any...could've gone both ways. 'Course, now Havoc knows that if he wants to off him he can just do it in enclosed areas such as C&C where he can't grow... ::wink )

Archived