Trinity Universe: Masked Men OOC

Archer21

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There's a glitch in the A! rules that has occured to me again while playing the Watchman. Some or all of you might have thought about it before, but I'll go ahead and point it out anyway.

The Watchman - obviously - has the Steely Gaze knack and therefore has a pretty decent Intimidation pool. That in turn requires a decent Appearance, which - as we all know - says something about how remarkable and noteworthy a character looks regardless of actual attractiveness. Now, Disguise is also an Appearance based ability, and here's where things stop making sense. In the A! rules, the more remarkable and recognizable you look, the better you are at disguising yourself. ::wacko

Personally I've always found the attractiveness approach to appearance to be better than the A! approach. The way the rules are they're well suited to the Intimidation ability, but more or less completely incompatible with the Disguise ability. Had I bothered to change the system I'd probably change Appearance to the classic ugly-to-gorgeous-scale, and move Intimidation to Charisma and Disguise to Perception or Wits.

Yes & no.

Appearance isn't just about what you look like - but about the sort of first impressions your character tends to make. It's, like all the Attributes, a quite abstracted Trait.

Also the way Adventure! runs Appearance means that you can have classic characters like the Red Skull, Darkman, or Dr Phibes who have hideous features themselves, but also routinely disguise themselves perfectly with other faces.

Even if you ran Appearance as in other WW games you'd still get a situation where a dazzlingly attractive person has an easier time disguising themselves than a plain-looking, average Joe. Unless you want to alter the Disguise rules to run off another Attribute, or somehow work better for people with an Appearance of 2 (average), then it's always gonna' seem a little illogical.

The best way to look at it is to think of Appearance as not just facial features, but as poise, mannerisms, & all those other little things which make an individual striking or not. A beautiful woman who acts shy & nervous all the time may well have a lesser Appearance than one with the same facial features who knows how to really 'work it' (as the young people say these days ::tongue ). Obviously a character who has a better awareness of their own mannerisms & how to use them to their best advantage is gonna' be better at Disguise.

Hope that helps with your internal game logic issues! ::tongue ::wink

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
The Whistler, Black Lotus, & The Watchman have yet to delare actions...

What, you think that dramatic tension can't be maintained with a month or two between posts?.. ::sly

Of course it can! It's just like an end of season dramatic ending...see what happens when the new season starts in August! ::wink

Course, when ALL episodes are like that, it can get a bit irksome...I just want to know what'll happen if banshee bashes the glass head...or if the Viking will jump her in time...

Archived