[OpNet] Where do you feel comfortable?

Hugin

Just a quick question. We seem to be a wonderfully varied bunch of Novas here, all calling various parts of the globe home. So, this being the case, where do you, as a Nova, feel most comfortable? Do you interact with the baseline population or do you try to stay amongst your own kind? Do you frequent the Amp Room (I don't believe I've seen many of you there, but I haven't been in some time.) ? What kind of enviroment do you prefer? I ask this last one because there have been a few comments regarding some of us building our own unique homes and I wondered how many of us have done so.

Just me being curious. No hidden agenda.

Probably a side tangent here James...my apologies. How is the Amp Room? Just one of those thing I suppose you have to try out at least once I suppose. I might be stopping by after I straighten out a few things. Is it worth the trip or is it mostly the hype of exclusion?

-Menagerie

My home is the stars. I will not make my bed on a world where I am forced to defend myself at every moment. The moon and Mars have both seen my bootprint as have worlds further afield. Do I seek the company of others? Rarely, and when I do it is to correct injustice, not to clutter my conscience with a myriad of opposing views. I see no difference in baseline or Nova company, and I see that point as moot.

Ranger, that is kind of sad. Have you really given up hope for the rest of us?

I am most comfortable wherever my friends are at. Things can be replaced, but friends are what makes it all worthwhile.

(Also, since I can only move as fast as my feet will propel me, it is nice to have some buddies who can span the planet in under six seconds)

I like it underground. Deserts are nice too. I try not to interact too much with baselines, they always end up saying something stupid and it just ends messy. I think the Amp room is silly, but I've had some good times there. Those amp-wells are yummy.

I don't.

Project Utopia has a price on my head. No fewer than a half dozen Elites have been hired to see me cut into 540,678 individual pieces. The Directive wants me in jail forever because I've made myself a nuisance to their agenda. National law enforcement wants me in connection with six-hundred or more murders. There are members of my own organization who want to see me pumped full of Eclipsidol, flayed alive and dipped in lye. To say nothing of the individuals I've pissed off.

I sleep four hours every two weeks, which is still less than I need. I just finished hunting one of the most dangerous killers on the planet. And now I'm going after his bosses.

I don't fucking well know what comfort is.

What a great goddamn life.

-- Avenger

Jager, I haven't given up. To stay on the planet would make things difficult for those around me. Like Avenger I have made enemies in many organisations but for vastly different reasons. My views are rarely appriciated by those who do not share them.

Avenger, answer me this: did you actually kill those people and if so, why? Did they deserve to die and if yes, are you the one that should make that judgement? One should be careful not to become that which he fights.

Avenger, I have to admit that I find your life to be a tad fascinating. We parallel in some very broad ways yet I have managed to make not one tenth of the number of people pissed off that you have. However, like you I am not readily able to 'hang out'. I spend some time in the Amp Room simply because enough people consider it neutral ground that those that do not are hesitent to act.

I hate to admit this because it makes me sound far too much like some pimply faced teen hovering far to close to a computer screen, but I have become so enamored of what I have read here that I have done a little investigating, just to learn what I can about you all here.

Avenger-Something you might find interesting. One of those Elites that you are dodging, he wasn't hired, for him it's personal. Something about a remark you made regarding his parentage. I am sure you have insulted so few people in your lifetime that you will be able to recall this incident instantly.

Jager-I met a young lady recently at the Amp Room that claims to have met you sometime in the past. She didn't get too specific but you've made quite an impression on her. Obsessed is actually the term that I think would be clinically accurate. You should see her portrait collection. You look quite fetching in a fig leaf.

Hell, I feel pretty comfy wherever people know how to treat a gent real nice when he's throwin' the cash around.

The Amp Rooms real fun, though I have to admit I don't like the security too much. Too uptight, it ain't a good place to party down if you gotta worry about six tons of shit droppin in on ya should you decide that some yahoo needs a punch in the puss.

Naw, I like that Starlords place too. The waitresses are hot as hell and are total minxes, ain't never had one say no to an eveing of entertainment on her back for a quick four figures. Life's good for an Elite I gotta say. Mighty fine.

I gotta be comfy when I can. Spending a couple weeks slogging through some shit hole jungle covered in mud and blood ain't no way to relax. I ain't that kind of psycho.

Prodigy, is her name Veronica? If so, let me know and I will contact her parents so they can get her back into therapy.

I saved her life about nine months ago. She and some friends were trekking across Siberia in the middle of one of the coldest winters this century. They had no conception of the hostility of the terrain or how difficult it would be in mounting a rescue effort. Two of her buddies died and she got lost. I managed to track her down and we spent three days under the snow; me keeping her alive. We talked alot during the blizzard and she kind of became enamored with me.

That was a job that I was paid to do and I don't mix business with pleasure, ever. I told her that, but it didn't sink in. She is a sweat kid, but she has to move on with her life. Besides, I am old enough to be her grandfather.

I've been to the Amp Room a couple of times. It's nice to be among other novas without N! getting in your face (at least not once your inside :P but I never did like nightclubs even as a baseline. Nowadays they just grate on my sense like someone dragging their nails down a blackboard.

To be honest I sometimes wish there was somewhere quiet to go. Other nova only entertainment venues -- a resturant maybe -- or something similar. Somewhere more quiet where good conversation not noise was the order of the day.

Anyone else feel like this?

Beth

Ms. Rayne, yes actually I agree with you. I often find myself desiring some Node bearing company yet not in the mood for the wild bacchanal of the Amp Room. I find it especially worrisome since Utopia has become so much more militant about the presence of their operatives there, no one seems able to relax anymore.

Perhaps I should put some money into a more Beatnik style coffeehouse approach? A quiet atmosphere for us to indulge our love of conversation and interaction without the need to 'party down'. How does this sound to you all?

Damn...yeah, that's her. Does anyone have any suggestions, besides just avoiding her?

Wizard, no one was paying me to be with you, therefore, it wasn't work. When are we going to be able to hook up again? I hate it when a 'hobby' becomes a full-time annoyance.

James, I know of this little place out near Fiji which is nova exclusive. The owner of the island is a wonderful lady of French Polynesion extraction and not a nova to be trifled with. If you promise to behave, I will send you an invite.

Ms. Rayne, if this sounds interesting to you, I could meet with you and talk about it. I don't send people there that I don't know.

I have tried the "coffee house" approach. It even worked for a time. That was until it became a target for every Tom, Dick and Harry who wanted to hurt Novas. The only reasonable approach to this situation is to create somewhere that only Nova's are welcome. I suggest somewhere isolated. Perhaps the ocean depths, or the desert or the arctic? The only problem there is that they are all so out of the way.

Here's an idea. A moving club. You go to the same location every time; somewhere inocculous like a closed down garage in the ass end of nowhere. And get warped to the "relaxation spot of the week", if it changes weekly then the reporters and the baseline crowds can't keep up. You can make it invitation only to keep out the undesireables.

Hey everyone, Where am I most comfortable? On a soft rug in front of a glowing fire with a warm body spooned up to me wink

Actually, I'm comfortable just about anywhere. As long as I'm allowed to live my life without too much interference or too many hassles.

I have to agree that the Amp Room is a pain in the ass most times. Who wants to go through all that hassle just to relax and unwind? The Blackburn is only slightly better. I like your idea Olympian, a moving "club."

Hey, that just gave me a great idea! What about a series of resorts and cruises designed specifically for Novas (and their families possibly)? Devries has their pleasure cruise ship, why not one open to all Novas? Add some stationary resort-like hotels in exotic and isolated locations and you have some great escapes from the pressures of the mundane world.

I have discovered some "interesting" locations during my last little foray into the realsms of the bizzare that could easily be developed into Nova resorts, I just have to get "ownership" of the properties. The question is would anyone be willing to make use of these types of recreation?

Olympian, the moving club idea isn't a bad one. However, I am thinking about something simpler. You mention the place being a trouble magnet, well, the Amp Room doesn't have that problem. Why? To much security and attention. Both of these can be duplicated without duplicating the party-till-you-combust atmosphere.

Security? Hire them, hire the best. If anything it would give us non-Elites the chance to interact with Elites in an atmosphere that would suggest calm reflection rather than testosterone pounding aggression.

Attention? Easier than pie. Have a media room where the more media friendly Novas would be willing to give an impromptu interview to N! or any other news outlet that would be willing to cooperate with specific restrictions in exchange for unique access. Also, have the location easily spied upon by Utopia and the Directive. I am thinking about a building I own in San Fransisco. The penthouse could be easily converted to a casual coffeehouse type experience. Security would have plenty of space to secure the area and the surrounding buildings would be perfect spy nests for the Establishment.

Now, the idea of using the Establishment to discourage interference by such scum as the Michealites, but think of it this way. We want a place to relax and chat about life's everyday occurences. If you want to plan a terrorist attack on some UN watchdog group's unethical medical/torture facility, then you're welcome to pull the cloak and dagger crap elswhere. This is not the place for secrecy, so why try to maintain absolute privacy? Let the fans watch, just let them watch from a polite distance and keep them out of our hair.

The moving club concept would be nice for Raves and other such experiences where very likely some naughty happenings will be going on and the Novas involved would like to avoid baseline interference. I am talking about something much more low key.

How does that sound?

I usually like to go to the mall. I mean there is so much cool stuff there. I mean look at all the possibilities of something intersting happening there. You alway run into someone you know or you might meet a chick and possibly get Lucky. Not to metion Cool nova products. I know im a Nova but I still got all of the Pax action figures. The dudes cool as hell. So i dont have anybody selling stuff with my picture on it, im not into all that media jazz. I just keep to my self do my own thing. if a person is a nova or a baseline(i hate those labels can't we all just be people)they still need to be them self. Ok im babbling alot and ranting. All i have to say is the mall is great got food couts and stuff and more stuff and cookie stands and chicks. I guess its easier for me to hang out at the mall than other novas - Im not as well known as others and i blend in pretty well.

I just wanted to tell all you guys. I THINK THE AMP ROOM SUCKS . For starter whats with the only nova thing. THINK HARD BEFORE YOU ERUPTED YOU WERE JUST LIKE THE BASE LINE. THATS CALLED SEGREGATION/BIGOTRY. We should treat the baselines as equals. Ok mr. I can move mountians with one hand, what makes you think that a baseline does not have the same feelings you do. So they can shoot fire balls out their ass, does that make them bad. I don't think so. most of my Friends are baselines and i don't think it is fair to allienate them. I mean if we start segregating our fried and love ones what kind of people are we.

P.S. as for you Teragen if any of yours read this this applys to you to. There used to be a group of people who thought they were the master race, they worked for a man named Adolf Hitler !!!! you people make me sick!!

Ah Lucky, it might surprise you to know that I am a Terat. Please don't tar us all with that neo-nazi bullshit. I am a Nova. I believe that I am superior to humans. I challange you to find a human my mental equal, my physical better or who can travel light years instantly. We are better. That doesn't mean that I want to lock up baselines in my basement and gas them all to death.

Baselines are our forebearers, our genesis lies within their helix. They are to be looked after as one would look after a child that does not know any better. We are their gods, their protectors, just ask the media, just ask the baselines themselves. We are the future. However, just because I believe this doesn't mean I want to throw out the child with the bath water. That would be immesureably stupid. I happen to like baselines and I think you will find so do a large number of the Terragen...heck, my mom was a baseline, just don't tell Geryon. cool

Lucky,

the woman who created the amp room is a baseline. It's no more segreagationary than... for example... novas not being able to take part in baseline sports or indeed Mensa which not only bars novas from membership in the normal group but also 98% of baselines.

I mean I don't like the Amp Room but I do understand why we novas sometimes feel the need to be alone with other novas without N! getting in our face.

Beth

Lucky Strike-Well, welcome to our little enclave. I am saddened to see that you did not see fit to bring what manners you might possess. I myself am a Terat. You accuse me of being a seperatist? Congratulations, you have a stunning grasp of the obvious. You and I will have to discuss the difference between light and dark some day.

You don't like the Ampr Room? Don't go. You prefer the company of ego stroking baselines? Please, be my guest and wallow in their adoration. You have a problem with the Teragen? Well, I ask that you treat us with some damn respect. There are others here who have expressed dissatisfaction with the Terat philosophy but they have treated us with courtesy. Please follow their example.

Ok listen,, Olympian - sorry about my lack of tact - but to say you are a "GOD" compared to others. Supose later in our future Some other form of being comes along 100 times greater than any nova and compares all of us to well Monkeys. suppose he or she or they say they are greater than you and want to create a would in thier image. What if they say they are not bound to law just because they are stronger. Im sorry that just seems wrong to me. I mean would you want to bow down to these new "masters" or would you grow to hate them. How can we allienate good people. A soul is a soul is a soul no matter what body its in. Some of our bodys are stronger, faster, our minds smarter. Does that make our soul worth any more than theirs. I say we should all be equal. In my hypothetical situation cant you see some logic to what i say. Power does not make one better. What makes a man? I am a Nova but i am no better than anyone. Can't you see that if we View our selves as better than any other sentient being we will only earn their mistrust and their anger. I say we are all equal. Nova , baseline and all other beings.

Hi, my name is Jules and I can see inside people. It's no fun where I live because my mommy and daddy and me are the only special people on our street. no one knows about us because they aren't suppose to. Sometimes my mommy takes me to play with other special boys and girls and sometimes, if I'm a good boy, mommy and daddy take me to their secret garden. I really like the garden 'cause they have talking plants and I can ride on the tigers laugh I really like the tigers!

I want to go to ibisa where all the special people go but my daddy says I'm not old enough. I still wish there were more special boys and girls like me where I live though.

Welcome, Jules. The man who wrote the books I favored above all others as a little girl was also names Jules. Thank you so much for bringing him to mind and for sharing your garden.

Would a little stretchy girl named Bungee be one of the special children you mentioned? If so, please say hello for all of us here. She hasn't come by in so very long that some have worried about her.

Hi Wizard! Are you a real wizard? Like Merlin? My mommy reads me stories and makes her moving pictures and she read me stories about King Aurther. She also read me stories written by Mr. Jules, the Jules you read too. She made pictures of his submerine and the big octothingy but the octothingy scared me so she put a big smiley face on it.

I don't know any girls named bungee, thats a funny name isn't it? I think it would be fun to meet her though, is she special like me?

A real wizard, yes. Like Merlin? A little different.

Merlin was an Enchanter. You know all the normal everyday stuff that people see but don't bother with? When you're a magician you can see not only what something seems to be but also what it might be. An Enchanter is a magician that knows the secret to taking the normal stuff and twisting it around until it become something new and wonderful.

I have a friend that can do that. He's an enchanter just like Merlin was. His name is Prodigy. He doesn't like to call it magic but... Can I tell you a secret? I've seen him make fishes that glow, stars no bigger than your finger tip and turn himself into a picture and then back again.

Magic.

Now, if Enchanters are magicians that know a big secret then Wizards are the magicians that know a lot of little secrets about the world. When we work it's not as flash as what Enchanters do and usually slower. But when everything finally comes together the whole world changes at once. wink

Bungee is a very special little girl that would come by and say hello. She doesn't come very much these days but yes she is very special just like you. Her name sounds funny because its a magic name. It hides everything about her while telling the people that look in a special way something about her specialness. I think in time you'll have a magic name but it isn't something that you should make up. Its something that you have to find.

Don't worry though; while you are looking for it, it is looking for you.

Mommy and daddy have names like that too. I thought they were code names like in my comic books! Magic sounds like fun; my daddy says I do magic too. He says I do sorcery, I can do magic on people and animals and plants. I don't think its magic though, I can just see into people and animals and stuff. Do you know any other special children like me? I want to have some more friends that aren't dogs and stuff.

Remember when I mentioned before about seeing what things seem to be and also what they might be? Your parent's special names are like that.

Some people would look at your comic books and see little colored dots, only four colors, mixed together. You can see that too when you look really close at the picture. Now look from a little further back and you can see colors that aren't the same as any of the dots. People and buildings. Heroes and Villains. All of that from dots of only four colors and one little change of how you look at them.

I understand your wondering about magic. Some people say that magic is anything you don't understand. Others say that its anything made by knowledge that you don't have. Some people will just tell you it doesn't exist.

Remember what we just talked about? About how changing how you look at something changes what you see? Read the three lines below my name and you'll see what magic is - but always remember; changing how you look at something changes what you see.

And I will check on the other children for you. You should talk with Mommy and Daddy about that too and let them know I said I would ask.

Hopefully, Bungee will see see us talking and then she can talk with you about getting together. If she doesn't... Well, I know her Daddy likes to come here and check things sometimes too.

Darn kids *grumble*, put more holes in that op-secure grid every week. I gonna have a word with Synapse over this.

Now where was I? Oh yeah, Lucky, I said they regard us as Gods. Did I ask for worship? No. I ask for what I deserve: respect, and whatever else I earn. Please don't confuse the gibberish some of the Terragen come out with as a party line. We are all unique. I would like to see us unified in some way beyond what Mal has forged through his strength of character but there you go.

I would argue with your basis for equality Lucky. We are equal because we have a soul? What if we don't believe in souls? Don't go religion on me here. Lets stick to the facts. And if in a thousand years time some new race emerges from Nova's (as everyone should be a Nova at that time all going well) and wished to take over the responsibility of leading and protecting our world then fine. I am not in the Terragen for the power, I believe what I say.

Hi Olympian! You don't want me here? Why, I like it here! I think everybody should treat everybody else good, unless the person is a bad person lake that mean Costas person, he shouldn't be treated good.

I thought We were talking about neat places for special people to go? Where do you like to play Olympian? Same for you Wizard?

be nice to little kid olympian!!!! be nice be nice be nice be nice. mean nasty terat, nasty. be nice to little kids. you are a nova, you are supposed to be a hero and special and good and kind and good and nice.

welcome little jules. i am glad your mommy and daddy are nice. so many people have mean mommy and daddies. you made me happy. thank you. thank you. listen to wizard, she is nice too. she does special nice magic, i've seen the files on her at DeVryes. they were marked 'special', 'non-confront class', and other things. that means she is good at what she does.

oh, yeah, i feel comfortable in my room. it is quiet and soft and filled with pillows and blankets and tvs. no one bothers me there. my room is on a boat, a big boat. DeVryes gives me my room because i am special. i work hard and they give me a place to stay and lots of money. they say no one can bother me here on the boat. i like that.

bye now.