Aberrant: Cognizant Chimera - CC: Game Mechanics

Alex Green

For the record,

I never meant to be game disruptive. I didn't think pure pandemonium would strike like that. Oh well, I promise to be nicer at the next "meeting"... 

Guess pricks only work when some semblance of cohesion is first established...

We still love you, Ezekiel ::biggrin But you might be right about the timing of the prickiness.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, sorry if I'm a little slow here, but the last few actions in CC have left me a bit confused ::wacko ::confused ...

One guy went a bit nuts & flew outside, shouting about 'fire falling from the sky' - that I got.

Then about a zillion other guys reacted as if that was what was happening - but MalkBoy hasn't (at the time of this post) described anything like that yet.

So - my question is - so all these other characters have various precognitive senses that my guy doesn't, & are reacting to PM'd messages from the ST about what's about to happen?

I know some of the posts decribed people just heading outside & looking around, but others seemed to be reacting to some sort of event - something involving other Novas, as far as I can tell - which I have no clue about.

Am I just being slow? ::confused

Since I seem to be the only who's character knows what's going on...let me explain. ::wink

Somebody conjured up a big damn dragon that was going to eat Jimmy. He freaked out and flew outside. Once outside, his Intuition went off, kicking his senses into overdrive. He smelled sulphur and brimstone, looked up, and actually saw lava falling from the sky. Putting that together with the screams from people out front, he flew back to the house and yelled his warning.

To be fair, Jimmy can see a loooong way, so he may be seeing lava that isn't really all that close. I don't know for sure OOC.

Malkboy PM'ed me last night, saying he will do a scene description of what's happening sometime today. I suggest we all hold off on IC posts until that happens.

... Putting that together with the screams from people out front, he flew back to the house and yelled his warning...

I think that's the real sticky bit - there haven't been any screams from outside. Unless Jim hallucinated them, or precognitively heard them or something, then that warning was posted too early - since MalkBoy hadn't described the scene to the rest of us yet. Doing that just means that the rest of us either have to guess what's going on, or get to do nothing for fear of screwing up the continuity. If you see what I mean... ::confused

I suggest we all hold off on IC posts until that happens.

... That would mean that Jimmy's last action effectively blocks the rest of the players from posting - which can be slightly annoying... ::wink

Sorry, don't think I explained that very well. ::confused

Jimmy did hear screams, they're just too far away for characters with normal hearing to detect them. It's not a precognitive thing.

As for what I understood from Malkboy's last PM to me, the other characters reacting to Jimmy's warning is just fine...Malkboy just wants to have a chance to write out the scene that everyone will see when they go outside.

By no means do I want to prevent other people from posting...so far the posts I've seen describing the character's reactions to Jimmy's warning have all been spot on.

I also know that I'd been away from my computer for awhile when I'd gotten the PM and read about Jimmy's actions, which gave me the feeling that something big was going down and I was behind. A literal 'look before you leap' scenario.

What's also funny is our characters acting how they think superheroes are supposed to act, leaping into action at the first sign of trouble. Combine that with human social psychology, and gamers' desire not to miss any of the action, and an aerial stampede ensues.

What's actually kind of neat, if we can successfully work it out in game continuity, is the idea that even super-senses are highly subjective - Jimmy would swear in court that he heard screams, even though none actually happened (yet), because his other senses told him there should be screams.

This is why eyewitnesses are notoriously unrelable sources, like all the people who swore they saw a white van during the Beltway Sniper spree here in the States, because the news said the snipers drove a white van, when in fact they drove a beige sedan.

edit - Whoops! Okay, if there actually were screams, then Martha might have heard them, too, with her Hyper-Hearing. It makes sense that fledgling novas would have trouble interpreting new or improved senses right away. My line about 'radio chatter' might have been a bit early, though, if cops and emergency services were still unaware of what was going on.

All in all, pretty funny, especially with Prof Potts' post putting it in perspective (try saying that five times fast).

Your spidey sense went off for the same reason Jimmy's did. Something horrible is about to happen. Our new ST has not yet posted a description of the horrible thing, hence all this confusion.

EDIT: To be fair to Malkboy, he and I have recently been discussing a number of problems he's been having on his computer when trying to post or send PM's. He's got one computer it works fine on, and another that gives him nothing but problems. So it is possible that he's been unable to post due to technical issues.

When you said screams 'from out front' I presume you mean the crowd in front of the mansion? If so, my guy doesn't have super-hearing, but he was standing right there - you'd think he'd notice something... ::confused

I guess that's one of the reasons I'm confused in particular - if something's happening outside, & it's not a precognitive thing, then how did Michael miss it? And Alex's guy as well, come to think of it - he'd have spotted it on the way in, right?

Unless, of course, but 'out front' you mean 'somewhere across the city' or something - & you really do need super-senses to spot it. ::lookaround

EDIT: To be fair to Malkboy, he and I have recently been discussing a number of problems he's been having on his computer when trying to post or send PM's. He's got one computer it works fine on, and another that gives him nothing but problems. So it is possible that he's been unable to post due to technical issues.

Actually I was waiting for everyone to have a chance to react to Jimmy's warning ... And a nap. Because by the time I think everyone posted I was worn out.. Post is coming shortly thou.

(Archer it's not just your site having problems with the laptop.. anything with scripting. I think I'm gonna install Linux on the old thing and bedone with it as a windows computer)

Well alex.. I would guess water would flop across the yard :) albe lava is more of a plasma (which I've benm told is not exactly a liquid.. but similar.)

Now quick request for all of you playing CC.. I know Asbjorn runs a game here, I know ProfPotts runs alot of games here... I know this is my first forum game.. We've played for a little while, so PM me any suggestions you have that I can help make CC more fun. I'm glad we got by the first week and had so much intrest (my how the game grew).. . Oh and your Experience points are not corelated to your comments.. Thanks!

--

malk

Plasma is something between liquid and gas, while lava is liquified stone with fragments of solid rock in it. Isn't it?

Oh, and malkboy: In little feats of strength and horsing around between characters like with Dog and Jimmy now, do you mind if we just handle the technical details between us?

If Matt does use the Molecular Alteration Technique to change the lava to water, then remember that the change does noting to the stuff's actual temperature - chances are it'd change, then boil into vapour pretty much instantly. Either way, it'd solve any lingering problems.

Archived