[OpNet] Actively Pinging the New World

Menagerie

I'll be straightforward. I am not a veteran of n-day nor am I within the myriad of political associations that Novas have accumulated as time has passed. Quite the contrary actually. As of N-day I found myself, as many have been within culture-- mainstream or underground, drawn toward the mystery and awe that is the "Nova sensation." However in my defense I would declare that in place of swallowing small armies of Nova action figures and collectibles I have found a more rewarding avenue for my interest. For the past 4 years I have been teaching Nova Studies/Quantum Biology (its funny how Academia has scrambled with new degrees and schools) at the University level. Obviously anyone looking upon Opnet can see that what lies within the school books is far from complete in its understanding....History is only truly understood years later(if at all and typically from the "winner's" viewpoint..but I digress). Project Utopia has done many things for the world and for that I'm sure many are happy. But to say that all mankind has improved his moral stature with the introduction of "infinite cosmic power" seems somehow flawed in its logic. However the Teragen make no illusion to the separation of Novas from the rest of Mankind. The Null Manifesto does seem to have several valid points that, instead of being approached from the academic/intellectual standpoint, have been deemed simply sensationalistic from governments both Pro-Utopian and/or simply worried. In a world where our media is dominated by Novas to give any credibility to a separtist movement is almost a crippling idea. Then again let us address the inherent morality involved in Teragen activities (not to mention the international D's morality). But what you're hearing is a baseline's argument. An argument that says I have no way of helping my world; or simply "I am a baseline". The standard.

7 weeks ago I erupted on a crowded stretch of highway. And thus my troubles began. I am not uninformed on the Nova world. I'm aware that there are what some would call "criminals" employed on all (not both...there is no black and white here) sides. Since the moment my "quantum menagerie" came to arms, a name the local media has defined me by, I have been plagued if not stalked by at least one of every group that I have been teaching about for years.

I am not naive. I'm not sure I should align myself with the Rashoud/Utopia/UN conglomerate....bureacracy tends to be corrupt at some point. The DeVries agency among others have offered to train me...for a contract. I no longer have the option of teaching...it seems somehow inappropriate all things considered. There are many secrets out there...conspiracies and secret gatherings....Simply scanning the Opnet gives one a deluge of delusions and frightening conclusions. I want to find out what is going on. I've found few that leave Utopia on the best of terms, contracts are quite binding, and even fewer leave the Teragen (by choice) than Utopia I would imagine. To not make a decision is unto itself a decision. My studio has been ransacked, my office pratically bronzed. Reality, much as the world after n-day, will never be the same.

The point: I am very interested, no, I hunger to find out what is going on. There is a hidden reality behind the awe and spin doctoring concerning the Nova world.

Damn. I'm not really this serious usually. I've just, shall we say, been saving my breath to speak. Hence the seemingly endless rant. I'll even ask a trivial question: How did you erupt and where the hell did it take you...you all seem to be pretty reassured you're on the right side.

I am at a dangerous crossroads....

and Sirens abound.

-Menagerie

Menagarie, welcome our new friend. I found your verbous 'hello' quite pleasant. I would have to say that you have happened upon an unusual group of Novas. Some of us are Terats, others are independents, and unfortunatly we even have a few baselines muddying up the waters. However, I would have to say that you appear to be the most open minded of all the posters I have seen. Bravo.

I hope that we provide you some insight as to the Nova state of being and can help you along your growth. Some of us are dedicated scientists, some are philosophers of no mean skill, so, hopefully we have something to offer you. However, please do ignore Father Ryan. Forming attachements to that foaming lunatic would be counterproductive.

I am distressed to read that you look to give up teaching. Please do not. You now have, while not a unique point of view, one that reletively few people, and even few teachers could offer their students. Teaching is a noble profession and educating the baseline populace can only help us all.

Please, wander about the archives here, you should be able to get to know us in short order.

Thank you for the compliment.

Actually James, (or is that too formal) I've been keeping an eye on the threads for quite some time now...in all honesty I think I've sent some ill-informed students this way in the past.

As for giving up teaching: it is less a desire to do so then the feeling that to not go out and "experience" what has been offered to me would be wasting a gift, or as some of the more zealous on Opnet would say..."my born destiny." I plan on returning to teaching--but it might be hypocritical to teach others to doubt the spindoctoring and the overly charismatic and not go out and learn what I can. Of course I say that I intend to go back to teaching but as many of the threads reveal, there is much to be absorbed. And thus I find myself subject to change...but as you say I'm being verbous again.

I do have a couple of questions, if you would permit me.

(Again I apologize for the formal tone. Let's just say the Nova's I've been having contact with have been "informal" at best....commrodery within our kind (odd, saying that)has been suffice to say lacking.)

But instead of hounding you with a thousand questions Let me throw out one...How did your erupting get you where you are today (in mind and body). I seem to remember a thread discussing some horroric recounting of your eruption...I don't mean to pry but you seem to be one of the few that, despite your affiliation (spoken tongue-in-cheek certainly), seem to have you head on straight.

Thank you for humoring me.

-Menagerie

Oh and about Father Ryan...I'm not too worried. As a man of the Senate said: "The major obstacle of religious renewal is the Intellectual classes." Funny, no?

Menagerie, three questions.

Do you have strong family ties?

What are your recreational interests?

What powers/skill sets have you manifested?

Usually, I advise most new novas to take it easy and not get caught up in the hupplah. Be yourself.

As for what's going on; most novas (65% or so) live relatively normal lives. Some get paid alot, but they are also under more pressure to produce. About 20% of us use our powers in some extrodinary way to make a fortune or live beyond the law. Things like Novox stars, Elites, and XWFers. Roughly 10% of our population our outcasts or criminals. The last 5% chose to live outside the system in one way or another. The more invisible, the better. A suprising number of vary smart people chose to erase their pasts and become ghosts.

You seem to have a good head on your shoulders, Man, so I'll try and give it to you straight. As straight as a biased fuck like me can, anyway.

For starters, you're never going to be able to join a group that "works" for you. Not because your particular bent on novahood precludes your ability to join any other group, but because from experience, I can say that any group you come in to is only going to accomodate your individuality if you carve a niche yourself. With a fucking great big hatchet, if needs be.

One thing I can say for the Teragen; we don't pay. While this is a distinct disadvantage to the economic-minded, it also means that we (and any group that doesn't make you sign a contract, really) don't have to kiss your ass. The Project -- who I am admittedly prejudiced against -- will pay lip-service to valuing your individuality because they want you to stick around. Instead of allowing you to explore yourself and your abilities, you get paid to follow someone else's agenda. The Teragen doesn't cut you a check too fat to put in your wallet each week -- we listen to you because we value your company. There is strength, it is said, in numbers.

But then again, why trust me? I'm an advocate of the Teragen, for fucks sake. It's just good business for me to hype my own group. I wouldn't be here if I didn't believe in it, though, and I think the fact that I don't get anything out of it other than comeraderie and self-satisfaction speaks volumes.

You want my advice? Here it is. If you were a great painter, would you want to go paint for a factory that pays you an obscene amount of money to produce hand-painted DaVinci and Van Gogh replicas? Would you want to stay the fuck at home and create masterpieces of your own? Or would you like to join a group of like-minded fellow artistes who -- though you may not agree with all of them or their particular agendas -- encourage you to pursue your art in any way they can and offer you all the aid you need to your ends?

I consider the former whoring myself. The middle or latter are equally valid choices, and which one a nova chooses is largely based off personal tastes and needs. I enjoy having comrades to butt heads and debate with. That might not be your thing.

Your answer, Menagerie, will depend on what kind of person you are. But I think the metaphor speaks clearly.

-- Avenger

By the way. Yes, I'm a Teragen recruiter. I feel it's important to be up-front about that. But should you ever like to just discuss issues of import to novas with someone, or should you express any interest in joining our merry band of rogues, just say so here and I'll contact you shortly. If membership is out of the question, just say so. I won't press the issue. If we can't be allies, it would be nice if our respective allegiences could remain friendly.

-- Avenger

Well, now that you've heard from that quarter, let me talk to you about Utopia. The real Utopia and not some Opnet conspiracy trash you might get from people who have nothing to do with the organization.

First off, let me say that I have been an employee of Utopia since it's inception, I was 12 or 13 at the time. I have worked in alot of departments over the years, including a 4 year stint in Team Tomorrow. Now I'm not going to sell you some party line about how the big U's shit don't stink, neither one of us is THAT naive. I will say that working for the project has been one of the best experiences of my life.

I could go on and on about all the benefits of working for the project (and there are many) I instead want to say something about the people who feel the need to slander Utopia. First off not one shred of conclusive evidence has been provided to back up ANY of these claims. Are there bad seeds in Utopia? Sure there are! Get any large group of individuals together and you find crappy people trying to take advantage of the whole. Look at any government, corporation, and even not for profit organizations. Each and every one of them has people using and abusing whatever positions they have. I would suspect that even the Teregen has this problem.

The difference betwen the Teregen and Utopia is simply this. Utopia will stand up and take responsibility for the actions of it's members. Can the Teregen say the same thing?

Sorry, I'm not trying to become advesarial here. So lets talk about what the project can do for you. It will give you a safe environment to practice with you powers and find out your current limitations. You will have access to training facilities, instructors, and the experience of hundreds of other novas who have also been through training. All that and they pay you!

From there you will have alot of options whether you stay with the project or not. If you decide to stay, there are a number of fields which you can enter. Most people equate Utopia to T2M but that is a misconception. There is R&D, I&A, and so on. With your skills, you could easily become either an advanced instructor or even a trainer! Yes you could be one of those cool guys who helps the newbies get a handle on all these traumatic canges to their lives.

I know I'm not the great talker that some of the other people on this board are. I'm just asking you to think about the project, about all the good things it has done for both Baselines AND Novas. Don't base your opinion on other people's rumor and gossip.

Thanks for your ear, Matrix.

[ 10-12-2001: Message edited by: Matrix ]

Well, how to begin in response? Interesting rhetoric, interest, and responses abound.

Jager:

Hmm. Family is one thing that to but it shortly has never benefitted me. E.A. Poe went into poetry as he was too weak and sickly to do anything else...I chose the academic field for similar reasons. Lets just say that in many ways my "weakness/condition" was less than appreciated in my family. If you don't mind I'd like to move on...Despite all the media/interest hoop-la I've yet to hear from them...but I digress and answer you tersely: No, no strong family ties.

Considering the metaphor, Avenger should like the irony here. My recreation is mostly torn between study and the arts. Two years ago I exhibited a gallery of my paintings in Tokyo...ironically enough it was a exhibition concerning the contrast between the post N-day reality and a traditional/"natural" beauty or awe (pre N-day). I've always been involved in the arts be it a short stint as an illustrator or a small sculpture that has found its way into an German Museum. Merging Intellectual thought into form is something that I've always tried to embody and quite frankly the world of Nova politics is a gold mine and fantasic source material for editorial.

Hmmm. My power/skill set? As far as I can tell it may well tie into my art as in some superficial ways it mimics it. "Quantum Menagerie" is, tenatively as my studies were fleetingly in quantum biology and more in the politics/socialogy, creating living matter. And by living matter I mean life. The word "menagerie" seems appropriate by generating life I mean spontaneous birth of: swarms of bats/doves/spiders/snakes, Centuars, wolves, Harpies (i'm not sure how many of the Westerners would understand the word Tengu), versions of myself, among a few other things. My concern comes with the creation at my eruption. An ember-skinned sparking Oni the size of a small building was, for the record, my first creation. Its not something I've completely mastered and for the quantum biology of it I'm looking into what is known about a certain Jonny Orgy because as far my studies he seems to be similar, though if only in part. (If you know anyone with a similar "gift" I would be grateful.) The only other thing is that I seem to be blessed with is the ability to survive a good amount of physical harm...considering some of my luck with trial and error its a good thing--I should be dead a couple times by now. I'll stop now...I'm sure you have newly erupted folks that get on here like a drunken frat boy and spew for hours about all the neat "crap" they can do. Besides able to make similacrums of fantasy, being the womb of nightmares was not my goal.

I hope that answers your questions. (Hopefully the first two weren't "foreplay."...You never know.) One last thing for Jager...I understand why you don't try to get the newly erupted involved. I can respect that. But thank you for going on in your message. I do try to be myself. Was any of that helpful?

Avenger,

There is some redundancy to be found here...but the combination Zeal/blunt honesty is an interesting virtue to say the least. Your artist metaphor does strike a cord and the answer does lie within the last two options as it were. The problem lies with information and disinformation. Considering all that I may know or think I know about your group- I'm fairly certain that at least 60% of it is pure spindoctoring/propaganda. The problem with your offer, as I do believe there is the implication there and I am not saying no, is that my entire point is I do not have a complete image of what is going on in the world at this very moment. Most of all I do not know what it means to have Novas as enemies...and joining any group would generate this issue. If you would like to discuss this at length I have no problem meeting in person if that was within your scope and schedule. Feel free to contact me. I'm looking for information at this point and while ideologically I can understand the Terat point of view (if it is truly based on the Null Manifesto) The practical elitism of the belief requires a faith and understand that I'm not sure if I have or will develop. But do contact me.

Matrix.

I was about to ask Prodigy is there was no Utopian influence mentioned on the boards. I'm guessing you represent a small minority of the posters here? I appreciate your input and if you're being adversarial to anyone I'm fairly certain its not me at this point (unless I've been red-listed for talking to Terats...I'm hopefully joking). Seriously you do offer the wonderful candy-coated prize that is Utopian affilitation. I would be lying if on some level I said I was not curious about Utopia and its inner workings. Formal training, a paycheck, and a place with the "big business" of the Nova stratosphere...always tempting. As far as not believing the rumors and gossip the problem is such things take on larger terms on the grande scale. Terms like the aforementioned Propaganda and spindoctoring. But I would be naive to say that these were only concerning one group and not the other. However understanding the Utopian interior seems to be much more difficult if not unapproachable as simply meeting with someone in its offices could not give one a significate and all telling answer. I'm ranting now I apologize...Your input is appreciated and if you'd like to talk to me about Utopia feel free. But as I told Avenger earlier to choose a group is to choose one's enemies....I can understand this.

Hmm. I just told Utopia and Teragen that I'd love to speak to them in the same post. How bad is this statement? Hopefully everyone understands where I'm coming from with this.

Well, I'm done with my Opnet novel now, hopefully I haven't put my foot in my mouth too many times.

-Menagerie

Matrix --

I'd like to go on record starting this letter by saying that I've worked for the Project, too. Unlike you, however, I worked for the Project for five years on a strictly pro bono basis -- the Project never sent me a dime for my efforts and I would have accepted no more. (I can already hear the internet goblins furtively typing away at their keyboards in a desperate attempt to use this bit of information to decipher who the "mysterious vigilante killer" is and collect the bounty on his/my head). My reward for this was making sure someone who meant a lot to me came home at the end of the day. So kindly stuff your altruism. I did your job for five years for free.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>First off not one shred of conclusive evidence hZ

Good One, Menagerie. Freedom isn't something to be underated. Nor is the fact that joining any group tends to make their enemies yours as well. On the flip side, going it alone can leave you high and dry if your in trouble somewhere and none of your friends know where to even start looking.

No one said the choices were easy.

Matrix, good to hear from you. Its been a while since a Utopian posted openly on these boards.

Avenger; mostly honest and usually brutal. Good to see some things remain the same. Have you heard from James recently? He has been absent as of late.

Menagerie, we see what we choose to see. In your spin-doctored and ultra-hyped world there are the big three:

Utopians

Terats

Independents

And of course you have DeVries, which falls into the independent category, at least in the mind of the Novas that 'whore' there, as Avenger might say. It's unique in that the company provides and fosters an identity based on the fellowship of the peerage within the company. While both the Terats and the Utopians offer something similiar, theirs is based on ideals of a sort while DeVries is based on membership and little else.

Another type of independent is the municipal defender. This is the comicbooks made reality but if you're considering this racket I would suggest pulling Kikjak's contract with the city of Detroit and giving it a careful read. It's public record within the city of Detroit anyway. It's 108 pages long plus attachments, covers 'incidental' damage and for a real laugh you should check out pg 84. The so-called 'sidekick' clause. Detroit, to my knowledge, has never invoked it but it's in the contract. Short version: municipal defender are city workers. Some are good, some bad, some dangerous. Look up Tenor Meeks on the OpNet for a worse case scenario.

Utopia and DeVries offers 'free-agent' work in a variety of capacities although they'll call it contract work. Also, Elites are the highly visible side of DeVries though that's only one of two companies that fall under the DeVrie family banner. Don't make the mistake of thinking that the non-elite side is somehow cleaner or less dangerous. Or conversely that the Elite side is dirty and purely combat.

There's your spin-doctored and ultra-hyped world in a nutshell. Is Utopia an organization out to rule the world? Are the Terats a ruthless organization of racial supremacists? Are masterless Ronin somehow more free?

I guess the real question is; do you really believe the world suddenly became black and white because you erupted? But then you've already answered that question and I'm just being pedantic. You've seen the choices from a decent representation of the Big-3 and with one exception, four of your proponents have worked all three sides. What kind of world do you want to live in and what price are you willing to pay for it. When you make that choice you'll know your enemies, or at least they'll know you. Either way, it will save you a lot of agonizing later if you know what you want and why.

Based on everything you've said alreay my advice is this: figure out whether you want liberty or freedom. Everything else will fall into place after that.

Little bastard gremlin, fucking up my posts. I'll have to make it a point to erase all his porn.

It seems that the better portion of my last post was truncated. I shall try -- poorly -- to recreate it here, simply starting over.

Matrix --

I'd like to go on record starting this letter by saying that I've worked for the Project, too. Unlike you, however, I worked for the Project for five years on a strictly pro bono basis -- the Project never sent me a dime for my efforts and I would have accepted no more. (I can already hear the internet goblins furtively typing away at their keyboards in a desperate attempt to use this bit of information to decipher who the "mysterious vigilante killer" is and collect the bounty on his/my head). My reward for this was making sure someone who meant a lot to me came home at the end of the day. So kindly stuff your altruism. I did your job for five years for free.

Quote:
First off not one shred of conclusive evidence has been provided to back up ANY of these claims.

Only true if you haven't been looking. Anyone who bothers to scratch the surface will smell the rot that festers beneath the skin. If you bothered to investigate, you might find your proof. I found enough to convince me. Maybe your Uncle Avenger will send you a little newsfeed care package. Maybe I'll let you figure it out on your own. Like W.C. Fields wrote, "Never try to smarten up a chump."

Quote:
I would suspect that even the Teregen has this problem.

We sure do. Your point?

Quote:
The difference betwen the Teregen and Utopia is simply this. Utopia will stand up and take responsibility for the actions of it's members. Can the Teregen say the same thing?

Oh, so that's the difference. Thanks for clearing that up for me, really, because all this time I was under the notion that the difference between the Project and the Teragen was a matter of ideaology and execution of ideals. Silly me. Good to know that the primary schism between our two groups is that you "take responsibility" for your actions and we Terats don't.

Oh, wait. Except for when Geryon killed Rupert and confessed on live telly. Or when Sluice was practicing civil disobedience in that same city. Or when members of Nova Vigilance rescue novas being executed in their backwards homelands for nothing more than being nova. To say nothing of the six hundred-plus murders I admit to readily. You say we don't take responsibility for our actions? Excuse me, but last I checked nobody in our group ever tried to hide their dirty dealings. Unlike some groups.

Okay, I get it. You equate "taking responsibility" with "being caught". Ah. Okay. So if I were tried and punished for the murders I've committed, that would be taking responsibility, right? Damn shame that my group and I don't have a UN sanction to slaughter threatening people like some other groups.

Quote:
It will give you a safe environment to practice with you powers and find out your current limitations. You will have access to training facilities, instructors, and the experience of hundreds of other novas who have also been through training. All that and they pay you!

The money's always an issue, isn't it? Not one single PR speech comes up without mentioned the fucking gobs of cash you'll make. I suppose it makes the whole package more appealing, especially if being rich is your thing. If I wanted shit like condos and MacLaren's, I guess getting a seven-figure income to "save the world" would appeal to me.

Funny you should bring up the training. Really, have you ever spoken to a Terat or do you just believe what you read in the Weekly World News?

Members of the Teragen can offer training and help controlling your powers. I suppose what kind of training you'd rather have depends on how you want your powers to develop. The Project, I confess, will undoubtedly assure you a slow, steady ascent, wherein you will have fine tutors to train you to control and enhance your abilities. They'll also pump you full of medication. The Teragen sacrifices the slow method for a more rapid ascent. The cost is visible in the purple skin and swirling eyes of some of our members. Power does, after all, have its price.

Matrix, on the outside the Project does look like a good deal. I went to a Rashoud facility when I erupted. I worked for the Project for awhile. The reason I never signed my name on the dotted line is because I've been a misanthropic fucking ass my entire life. I deprived myself of a lot of things because everyone else liked them. I've pretty well outgrown that now, but I'm glad I never joined the Project. They've done nothing but fuck myself and the ones I care about, and the more I find out, the more I'm learning the true extent of their rape of the nova species to their own ends.

You know, it's funny. If she hadn't joined, I probably would have.

Menagerie --

While the Null Manifesto is the core of Teragen philosophy, there are as many interpretations as there are Terats. That's the beautiful thing and perhaps our greatest weakness. We're all rebels with a cause, but "the cause" is different for everyone. The Null Manifesto can be interpreted plenty of ways, and everyone interprets it the way they want to. We can sometimes agree for awhile, long enough to get things done. Our aim right now is to find a cohesive vision. Some of us are brain-dead star-fucking thugs. Some of us are not. Most of us are not. I'd be glad to discuss some of the finer points with you at your leisure.

Jager --

Not lately, no. Figured he'd come back when he felt like it, as is his wont.

Tues --

Quote:
While both the Terats and the Utopians offer something similiar, theirs is based on ideals of a sort while DeVries is based on membership and little else.

Membership and money are not the same thing. Elites are not buddies. They aren't members of the same frat. Oftentimes, they are rivals. Rivals in the name of pigfucking greed and the almighty dollar. God money.

-- Avenger

Jager-I was here, it seems my post has been nibbled at by the same gremlin that had bedeviled Avenger. I too shall try to recreate my musings, but in a much more condensed format.

Much like Avenger I have had experience with Utopia. Mine was more formalized however. I did sign on the proverbial dotted line and I did happily accept the 'gobs of cash' that were offered to me, I must blame my upbringing for that. Father always said that you know you've done a good job when they pay you well.

Now, at the time I was an inexperienced little boy. We are only talking a few years ago, however I had not yet found the choir of voices within myself that would help me in future decisions. But even then I was slightly reticent, I was concerned that Utopia did more to fight the symptoms of human suffering and misery rather than attacking the core causes. Utopian ideals seemed more satisfied with simply throwing food at the needy rather than toppling the corrupt and viscious regimes of the world that victimized their subjects. I made the mistake of keeping a journal of my thoughts on my palmtop. In my naivete I believed that my personally written security program would be enough to insure my privacy.

The Directive proved my quite wrong. Their recruiting method was fairly straight forward, and fortunately I was able to work my way out of their noose. But that was the begining of the end. I soon left Utopia for another organization, one I hoped I could have a greater say in. It's funny, but officially I am still a member of T2M on unpaid leave. But, once I left I was subjected to a battery of personal, financial and political attacks, all stemming from the same source.

So, as I try to make my long winded point, yes, Utopian Ideals have their positives. But the organization is run by human beings, flawed, self centered, often fanatical human beings. They do not accept it when their members question the dogma, and dogma it is. They demand an almost cultlike devotion. They turn on the doubters and dissenters with an almost savage glee.

I entered the training program shortly after Avenger distanced himself from Utopia. In that short time he was declared 'comprimised' and a 'security risk'. Had I come in contact with him, say at the Amp Room, I would have been forced to undergo a thourough debriefing, all simply because he had chosen to follow another path.

So, 'lack of proof' notwithstanding, some of us have lived lives that are proof enough. Please don't insult me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Avenger:
Membership and money are not the same thing. Elites are not buddies. They aren't members of the same frat. Oftentimes, they are rivals. Rivals in the name of pigfucking greed and the almighty dollar. God money.

*L*

Buddies? No.

Watch three DeVries Elites in the top 200 making the rounds in the amp room on a Thursday night. They never overtly stare at each other, never lose sight of each other, and are so professionally courteous to each other that it's almost ritualistic. You, I and everyone else are background to them. Scenery. Or a contract and they're there for intel.

Frat? Buddies? No, those descriptions are too cute by far. They're a band joined by bonds of experience that those of us that don't make our living as mercenaries killing people in groups don't share. They see the rest of us as predators or prey.

You think I'm romanticizing this? Start some shit with one of DeVries for no reason and make sure you let them know it's because you think Elites are nothing but whores. Then watch who joins the fight first, fastest and hardest. Oh, andd by the way, the word 'Elite' wasn't coined by the media. It was coined by Anna DeVries to describe her nova contract mercs and the media jumped on it to describe nova mercs in general. Don't mistake one for the other. That would be like assuming every Terat's a homicidal maniac or every Utopian has an ulterior motive being progressed towards with machiavellian precision.

[ 10-13-2001: Message edited by: Tuesday Childe ]

James --

You were around for that? Fucking hell, what a great time in my life. I remember the dossiers they passed around to all active T2M members. Complete psychological profile, done by John Douglas himself. I've got to give the guy credit, he certainly knew where I'd go and what I'd do after my schism. To say nothing of the "deprogramming" my..."friends" in the Project were subjected to.

It seems we agree at least on this, Prodigy. I won't stand and rave and say that the Teragen is all good or that the Project is all bad. I value the Utopian cleanup efforts. I like the fresh air. I like being able to swim in the ocean. I like it that my family is less apt to get skin cancer. I like that Ethiopians go to bed with food more nights than not. But good works do not make good people, especially when the works are a means to a selfish end. Like Duke Rollo wrote, "When 'The World Needs Saving', who cares if it's a blessed saint or a pilloried sheep rapist who gets the job done?" The Project has done good thins, I won't claim they haven't. But they do them for the wrong reasons, and anyone who disagrees with them is seen as an enemy. At least, to be monitored and watched. At most, to be plowed over and eliminated. If the bastard could catch me, Pax would have killed me by now, I've no doubt.

Tues --

You're talking about comeraderie among soldiers, something that undoubtedly exists, and I'll confess to a bond shared by men who kill each other for a living. Soldiery hardens men. After awhile, they don't tend to remember what "normal" people were like, and worse, they don't really care.

I've got my own reasons for not whoring myself (yes -- it's "whoring" -- suck it up) for money. Totentanz could kick my ass all over the country before killing me without breaking a sweat, I am sure. But what the fuck has the guy done? Sure, he's killed scads of novas, but to what end? Just more pawns, just like him. Any mercenary is little more than a pawn in someone else's game.

-- Avenger

There's a lot of rhetoric and personal experience bleeding through these posts. People like their secrets, facts get edited out for one's own protection....I know not this world. To continue it seems a large number of individuals went to organizations only to eventually leave. Now I'm sure no one here, maybe one exception, would tell me to go join Utopia or a similar group just so I can have my "heart broken" and decide where I want to be in this world. Unfortuenatly a possiblity...none of this is easy...I'm sure you all know that.

Ashnod, Avenger...I would love to speak to either of you at your leisure about the Teragen matter. The Teragen seem to be intellectualy one of the most enticing groups out there, in not only for the peer support found here. But I think that I might not make the best Terat shall we say...I still feel no visceral difference between myself and the rest of mankind. Still, this confession aside, I would love to talk to you about what's going on in the Teragen today and in the ideology. Please feel free to contact me (new thread, whatever). One thing occured to me. We all have a fairly good grip on how a Utopian or Elite can spend their day...What of the Terats?...just a fleeting question.

Tuesday...You've raised some serious thoughts here and given me an interesting outline of the world (nova) about me. Mainly that I need to actually think about these things and decide rather than let my future and "world" be designated by those around me.

On another point I find it almost laughable that the thread would expound on the horrors and ills (truths?)of the Elite/DeVries....its most synchronous. Not that I was planning to go full time but at the present it was my most hopeful "unobtrusive" option at the time. I will be quick to point out that as Tuesday said many of "us" (still seems strange) have played on different sides as the years have past. I was working off the premise when someone goes to joing the Army or Navy for a few years to get their head on straight. Obviously I'm going to have to reconsider this route of escape from a decision.

There was an interesting offer made in the interim: Does anyone know anything about the Nippotai? (how the rest of the world views them...I'm sort of eclipsed considering.)

Thank you all for helping me on this...any thing you'd like to offer as advice would be most appreciated.

-Menagerie

Quote:
Originally posted by Menagerie:
Not that I was planning to go full time but at the present it was my most hopeful "unobtrusive" option at the time.

Well, if you go with that option, remember:

a. It's contract work; and
b. There are many agencies, including DeVries, that want to hire novas that not specifically 'Elites'.

Like I said before, don't assume because it's the non-combat side of the house that it's less mercenary. And do NOT assume anything that the contract does not specifically guarantee, specifically forbid, or specifically give discretion in judgment to you over. Actually that's pretty much any contract work you do for anyone.

You know, I spent enought time talking about the big three and splitting subsequent hairs that I never got around to pointing out the obvious.

Bollywood.

With your talents there should be a niche there for you. If actings not your forte then think about the special effects you could produce, provide and sustain. I've had friends in the business describe it as mercenary and whoring as well, but that was almost always on bad days and despite their complaints very few of them ever willing got out of the business. Something to think about.

Quote:
There was an interesting offer made in the interim: Does anyone know anything about the Nippotai? (how the rest of the world views them...I'm sort of eclipsed considering.)

Thank you all for helping me on this...any thing you'd like to offer as advice would be most appreciated.[/QB]

A metric ton of people should be able to offer opinions on this one. Do you have any experience with Japanese culture? If not, tell the recruiter that you are conditionally considering the offer however you lack experience with the people and culture. Don't say yes, don't say no, but keep reiterating this once in every conversation after you've greeted them and 'business' has commenced. No matter what they offer continue to tell them gracefully that you are unsure as to your place within Japan and Nippontai.

Within a week you should receive an offer to meet in Japan with a ranking recruiter, a government official or a member of Nippontai. Explain that you can not possibly accept such a gift of such generosity though it intrigues you greatly. That you need time to think.

Short version: expense paid trip to Japan.

Tuesday's Advice to Tourists in Japan.
- Assume nothing.
- Sign nothing.
- Never underestimate the power of cute.
- Never compare it to 'back home'.
- Remember that 'hai' does NOT mean yes.

Enjoy your trip.

[ 10-16-2001: Message edited by: Tuesday Childe ]

Menagerie, you got a lot of options kid. What do you wannna do? If you want to save the world and don't want to have to think about things join Utopia. Its an easy option and a bit of a no brainer. After all, they are building a better world...you do believe the PR don't ya?

I've worked for the Elite outfits and continue to do so off an on. If you sign a contract with them get a team of lawyers to go through it for you, heck I can give you a copy of my contract if you want to compare. You seem like a decent sort so I am pretty sure you don't want to get sent into a warzone and told to kill everyone you find.

If you want fame and cash without having to kill go for the XWF. You need to be a bit of a showman but your powers are well suited to it. I can just see your "rain of cows" atttack drawing critical acclaim...might be difficult to make the action figure though smile

The military are also an option, and not just for out and out combat. I'll bet intelligence would love to sneak a few of your "bugs" into a C-Z mob meeting. You could be a heck of a trainer too if you can produce realistic versions of other novas. I worked for the US military for a while, decent bunch but I couldn't hack the authority; I like to be the one calling the shots.

Lastly that brings us to the Terragen and the Aberrants. These groups are really life choices kid. You join the Aberrants and the Directive and Utopia will hunt you down and put your ass in a sling. No point in joining unless you really believe in all that conspiracy stuff...course, I do, but hey, its not for everyone. Besides you'll never find them unless they want to be found.

The Terragen are a serious decision kid. They have a life philosophy that doesn't seem to have a guidebook. I've talked to a couple of their members and got completely different views on what they are about. I don't think they even know, or if they do they're not telling. Then there is that crap about them being ruled by some kind of secret council...but thats probibly bull. Either way the Terragen require certain beliefs about the nature of Novas that can be difficult to swallow.

I can't tell you what to do with your life. All I'll say is don't do anything you can't reverse later.

I find this an absolutely fascinating topic. This is the most polite, intense thread in some time. We seem to be battling for Menagarie's soul. How wonderful that we all feel so secure in our little places that we can put so much effort in trying to win another ego over. Even those of us who proclaim a simple desire to impart information without extoling the virtues of any one side still have a powerful undercurrent of propaganda.

How nice that for once these discussions have not been reduced to mere name calling.

Well, Menagarie, just so that we can keep score effectively, have you been swayed by any of the arguments here?

Avenger-Yes, I was lucky enough to read the psych profile written on you. It is not too flattering I must say. A good example of Utopia's near psychotic desire to demonize any who decide to distance themselves from clearly supporting them. I went through much the same experience, though to be honest my profile declared me much less of a danger than your did. I've always been happy with that though I don't know why.

Greetings, menagerie.

I doubt there is anything I can say to further inform you about any or all of the philosophies laid out before you.

I can, and will offer advice.

Remember that each and every one of these philosophies is flawed. Every philosophy is. It is a defect which cannot be avoided when terms and principles are couched and contemplated in language.

Consider your needs and desires. A life without challenge or consequence is to no one's taste - not even mine, and I have neither desires nor needs.

Do you need food ? Drink ? Money ?

Do you desire these things ?

Do you wish social recognition and celebrity or notoriety, or neither ?

The worst of each of the factions is that they will use you. The best is that they will give you the freedom, the cameraderie, and the means to achieve your goals.

Project Utopia at its worst is a sinister organisation which seeks to control novas in the most unethical and facile manner, for the most superficial of reasons. At its best, it is a beneficial organisation whose existence has cleaned the air, the water, and brought food to those who hungered.

At its worst, the Teragen is a collection of nova-supremacist pseudo-anarchists following a flawed social doctrine from a century ago which is based on false assumptions and principals. At its best, the Teragen guarantees freedom and strength, and shows the rest of the world that responsibility and freedom are at the core of a functioning society.

At their worst, DeVries will make you a whore, and will have you make a gift of your marvellous powers to those who would abuse it to bring misery, suffering, and corruption to the world. At their best, they could give you the means to achieve any dream you may have, with a clear conscience.

The Aberrants are children who have not yet woken up to the realities of the seas they swim in. But they act with a clear conscience and independence from any "party line".

You could also choose the path of independence from any one group - one which seems to be very common among those novas who post here.

Independence has its disadvantages: the lack of support or a peer group being chief among them. The advantage is simple: freedom.

Make your choice.

Pay your price.

[ 10-17-2001: Message edited by: Stheno ]

Interesting. My thoughts James as to the score? Lol. If only it was that easy. But let me throw down some responses and thoughts from the recent responses.

Tuesday. I "am" Japanese. Which makes your offer so much more entertaining if not enlightening...in some respects. I was mainly inquiring as to the "worst case scenario" of Nippontai. Unfortuenatly I think it falls into the Save the World Nova Nationalism with just familiar bureacracy. That and considering the fact we seem to still be, as a people, mad as one of the rogue Nippontai (his manga has become satire at this point) I'm not under the impression that going in on a trial basis would be too good for PR and my conscience/longevity....as with any group as stated numerous times before.

Gargoyle..."Rain of Cows?" Despite this odd idea (though curious out of principle I'm going to have to evade it) You seem to be, at least intially, approaching this whole "Where should you go?" argument from a reverse direction. Correct me if I'm wrong but a good bit of your argument says, instead of choosing where I should be and using my gifts there, You're saying that I should let my powers guide where I should be looking. Oddly enough considering my ill-fated drive to learn as much as I can without making enemies this might not be a bad idea..if not a bit too capitalistic. (but then again there I go romanticizing...Which does fit into this whole equation at least on some level.) Thanks for some practical input on what I can do with what I have...though I'll admit its not something I need to get around. You haven't heard of anyone with a similar gig have you?

James...I like what you're saying about the undercurrent of propaganda...I'm fairly certain I refered to it when initially posting the thread. It is true but behind and between the lines there is an answer and this "polite intense thread" is really eye opening in some respects. Score? Oh lord to sum up some of my changed/revamped opinions and ideas I suppose I could talk for a moment.

Utopia seems like a good idea. It is the good idea. Its going to college and getting a good little job working for someone else who tells you where to go do your little job. Not a bad deal considering I'm looking to learn what is going on in the world.

The Teragen might be the best place to look for find out this last point however. Filled with exElite, ex Utopians, and where/whatever else one could come from, The Teragen seem to be the place for novas to learn and perpetuate the nova experience. Two problems. I don't feel too different. Someone sent me a message on this point: Give it time. And this too may be right. I don't actually look the same as I used to...but abberance of even the slightest tone should not denote running away from society (which in many respects is Baseline from the way I look at it). I'm not saying intellectually the Teragen are wrong..In fact when I was teaching I did a lot to break the students habits of saying "Terats should burn in hell as the monster that they are." It was a major lesson that got be in trouble a few times but I think it was worth teahching. I just don't feel like an evolutionary step. Viscerally. I'm probably wrong...I'll admit this. I haven't slept or ate in two months; how can that not be progress? I don't know. That is my point. The elite seem to be a brutal, brutal thing. And being the intellectual that I am (I think academic professors may say such things without obvious pretentiousness) I'm not sure violent grunt work i don't control in any way might be the best for me. But it is a quick way to get thrust into the world.

As for the Big Media XWF or whatever that seems to be an almost laughable option as I'm fairly certain that equates to whoring. But it seems that everyone takes some time on their knees when they get started.

Stheno...A wonderful summary with actual question to really ask myself. Correction some practical unrhetorically questions to ask myself. Only one thing I can disagree with: Your "I doubt there is anything I can say to inform you concerning the philosophies laid out before you" comment opening the post. Despite the scad of ideologies flying about, There are so many holes and grey areas swirling about that much more discussion is a must in any case.

A few have offered to meet with me, some for fees and favors and tuitorial, some for pleasant conversation. I welcome any input...if you can't say it here I would still love to hear what you have to say.

-Menagerie

If you wish to meet, Menagerie, I would be more than happy to do so.

My time is precious, however, and I can make no guarantees, unfortunately. If you would have me give my own personal opinions of the dilemma you face, I shall be happy to do so. I shall require some small time and preparation, however. Extemporising is not my forte.

If you wish assistance in developing your powers or knowledge, I will be happy to provide what paltry assistance I may. I ask no payment.

The opportunity to study something so closely related to my own particular interests - language, structure, and the influence of perception on reality - would be more than sufficient payment.

I warn you, however: my appearance is disconcerting in the extreme to most persons, and my manner generally unsettling - and also perhaps a little overly wordy.

Quote:
Menagerie laughed:
Which makes your offer so much more entertaining if not enlightening...

Entertaining is good. It takes the sting out of having embarrassed myself by offering advice to someone more knowledgable in the area than I.

Thank you for the reminder of my own limitations. I am gratified that you took the unintentional insult without rancor. I can do no less.

[ 10-18-2001: Message edited by: Tuesday Childe ]

Yup, as usual I grab the wrong end of the cow. I'd say your best option is to follow your own direction. If you agree with some group of people then great, you've found a home. I've belonged to a couple of organisations in my time and I have to say I was luckey to end up with the one I did.

Hello Menagerie, my name is Atwight. I have been monitoring your posts here for the last few days and have decided that I have some advice you might be interested in.

I do not care whose cause you eventually decide to take on as your own, I instead wish to address your concern about your creation power. I too have the ability to create life from nothing more than channeled quantum energy. While my ability may be different in operation to yours (at least nowadays) I feel some of my earlier experiences may be of use to you. A few questions first though.

1. Do you know anything about biology, human or otherwise?

2. Have you had any of your creations medically examined before they vanished and if so, what was the result?

3. How long do your creations normally remain in existence?

If you do not feel comfortable with revealing this knowledge in public like this forum, send me a private message to let me know what the answers are and I will get back to you shortly.

M, is seems you have already made up your mind to be an independant, but are looking for the best way to do it.

A national team may seem like a fair idea, but you should remember that you are representing someone else's idea of what patriotism is. It chafes.

If you can do it an learn to live within your own limitations, stay indie. So, you and maybe a friend or two will be alone against the world. Most of the world won't care. The parts that are pissed with your decision weren't interested in the real you anyway.

Remember the most important thing: Have Fun! Becoming a nova should be a wonderous thing that you can enjoy, not something that limits or confines you.

On the two posters:

Atwight...I'm glad to hear from someone with a similar gift...though it does concern me the use of the word "concerned." Might I ask, as as you stated you may responde privately if so desired, "How you yourself go about creating life as it were?" In my research some comparison work can do wonders for a Nova's potential. As for you questions.

1. I know what most people with a bachelor in the arts and anthropology know about Biology...the basics. Human biology I know a good more about, only as it is tied into a lot of the nova "comparison" quantum studies. 2. As for having any of my creations examined I'm not sure how prone they would be to letting that happen. But I haven't thought that necessary. They do bleed and eat if that helps. I haven't thought of your suggestion mainly because when they do get created they tend to have a bit of "personality" that for some reason gets under my skin. (I might have to try your suggestion soon.)

3. When do they fade away? It usually takes some time. If I make them on the fly their usually gone within three or so hours, otherwise with a bit of effort they can stick around for a fairly long time. I still have a few of the my old small ones fluttering about somewhere. But in all these cases it depends on what I create.

Jager. Thanks for the advice and I think I'll disagree and agree with you. I'll disagree when you say that I've pretty much already decided to be independant. I really want to make a difference and know an inner slice of the world about me....on my own I lack both the power or the knowledge of where to look. You may be right about my tone and yes I suppose right now I'm independant. But to accomplish what I need to the compromise of some sort is eminent.

I'll agree with wholeheartedly to remember to have fun. In fact I think I may have to do one "fling" as a Nova before I get seriously involved in this world I know so little about apparently.

Thanks again.

-Menagerie

Hey there Menagarie, nice to meet ya. Me, I'm new here too. Never thought that just tippy tappin down my thoughts would be all that interestin, but hell, gotta fill the time between bed, battle and booze.

I can't believe what some of these yahoos have been spoutin. Lemme give ya just four words that you need to embrace and make the song of your little heart- IT'S THE MONEY HONEY!!! If they ain't willing ta pay ya the big, and I mean BIG money, they ain't worth your piss.

DeVries is my home. They treat me right, with respect and don't ask me to do nothing too stupid. They understand the stress you work under and should you, well, accidently beat some snot nosed accountant to death with his double damned desk they cut ya some slack. They pay the big big bucks and they don't take a backseat to no damn body.

Utopia? Wow, those do-gooders have a real good track record facing down us don't they?

The Teragen? Ain't talked to too many of them. What I see on the 'Net seems pretty hairy but I don't buy all that. They got a little attitude when it comes to a man trying to make a livin' though.

Govt' Teams? Red tape up the wazoo my friend. Screw that seven ways to Sunday. We are the ones, the ONES now, screw following some dumbass little punks silly rules.

Directive-Hell, buncha Jimmy Bond wannabes, cept they too stupid to get laid.

Just gimme the word and I'll hook you up right. I can have my lawyer look over any contract for you so you know you ain't gettin screwed.

It's all about the golden rule people. Smarten up to it.

Menagerie,

My deepest apologies for the long delay in responding to you. I have been preoccupied with some unwanted guests in my home and it took more effort than I had originally predicted to excise them. But enough of my problems, I believe your question what how do I go about creating life?

Well, that particular talent of mine has transformed significantly since it's first manifestation, so I will start at the beginning. When I first manifested this ability back in the fall of 1999, I was merely creating solid fields of quantum energy housed in a shell made up to look like what ever creature I could conceive. These creatures could bleed and eat for one simple reason. I expected them to. What I believe to be happening was the power created what I expected from the creature. A bird had wings and could fly because my knowledge of birds informed me that they perform such a feat. I found that as my knowledge of the biology of various creatures and animals grew, so too did the authenticity of my creations, eventually mimicking any living creature perfectly, inside and out. By careful consideration of the biology's involved, I could create truly fantastical creatures of myth and lore such as dragons, unicorns, Lovecraftian horrors, and so forth. It was several years ago that I found my creations possessed intelligence, a level of self-awareness if you will. Understandably, I have become more cautious and aware of how I employ my creations.

I hope you find some of this helpful or useful to you. As always, if I can be of more help please let me know.

-Atwight

Menagerie,

I know what you mean about Teragen philosophy being enticing. It can seem very logical. The main problem I have with the Teragen is so many of them (or at least so many who claim allegiance to them) are raving wackos. Some of them seem to think that being freed from baseline morality means do the opposite of it. That isn't freedom since it's still entranched in baseline attittudes. Freedom is doing what you feel is right regardless and unless there's something wrong with you (and I'm sure there isn't) you can have worse guides than yourself. wink

Beth